PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Qt's connectSlotsByName

aquavitae
May 4th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Hi

I'm writing a Qt application with a lot of QActions, so in order to minimise the number of connections I have to type in I'm trying connectSlotsByName. The code (stripped down) looks something like this:

///// mainwindow.h

class MainWindow : public QMainWindow {
Q_OBJECT

public:
MainWindow();

private:
QAction *actFileNew;
QMenu *menuFile;

public slots:
void on_actFileNew_triggered(bool checked = false);
}

///// mainwindow.cpp
MainWindow::MainWindow() {
actFileNew = new QAction(QIcon(":/icons/filenew.png"), "New", this);
menuFile = menuBar()->addMenu("&File");
menuFile->addAction(actFileNew);
QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName(this);
}

void MainWindow::on_actFileNew_triggered(bool checked) {
// Code to show a message
}

My program compiles, but the connection doesn't appear to work - when I select the action from the menu, the message is not displayed in on_actFileNew_triggered(). It works if I make the connection manually using connect().

Can anyone suggest why connectSlotsByName isn't working?

dori
May 4th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Why are you using "bool checked = false" in

void on_actFileNew_triggered(bool checked = false);if you are not making this QAction checkable then it should just be

void on_actFileNew_triggered();

aquavitae
May 4th, 2007, 03:02 PM
I'm using "bool checked = false" just to match the argument for QAction::triggered. I agree it is not necessary, and I only put it in because I didn't know if it would affect connectSlotsByName. Either way, the connection isn't made.

dori
May 5th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Auto connect is only works with objects made with the designer. All manual created objects you have to connect your self.

aquavitae
May 7th, 2007, 06:51 AM
That seems awkward! But when its compiling, how does it know the difference between desiger objects and coded objects? Maybe I can confuse it so it will do it.

dr.pppr
March 6th, 2009, 07:16 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I still wanted to post a reply to this topic because I had the same problem and there is a solution.

Actually connectSlotsByName also works on classes not created by Qt Designer. You just have to specify an object name for the action for connectSlotsByName to correctly set up the signal/slot connection.

///// mainwindow.cpp
MainWindow::MainWindow() {
actFileNew = new QAction(QIcon(":/icons/filenew.png"), "New", this);
actFileNew->setObjectName("actFileNew"); // <<< this should do the trick
menuFile = menuBar()->addMenu("&File");
menuFile->addAction(actFileNew);
}

Cheers!
-Stefan

jonathanmotes
March 24th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Actually connectSlotsByName also works on classes not created by Qt Designer. You just have to specify an object name for the action for connectSlotsByName to correctly set up the signal/slot connection.

This doesn't work for me. I'm trying to tie a event to a slot in the same class (MainWindow). Can anyone see if I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks!

MainWindow::MainWindow(QWidget *parent)
: QMainWindow(parent), ui(new Ui::MainWindowClass)
{
ui->setupUi(this);
count = 0;

//connect(this, SIGNAL(testSignal()), this, SLOT(on_MainWindow_testSignal()));

this->setObjectName(QString("MyWindow"));

}

MainWindow::~MainWindow()
{
delete ui;
}

void MainWindow::on_pushButton_clicked()
{
cout << "test" << endl;

testSignal();
}

void MainWindow::on_MyWindow_TestSignal()
{
cout << count << " on test signal" << endl;
count++;
}

dr.pppr
March 25th, 2009, 12:41 AM
This doesn't work for me. I'm trying to tie a event to a slot in the same class (MainWindow).

You would need to call connectSlotsByName at the end of the constructor...

{
ui->setupUi(this);
count = 0;

//connect(this, SIGNAL(testSignal()), this, SLOT(on_MainWindow_testSignal()));

this->setObjectName(QString("MyWindow"));
}

...but this code would still throw a warning during runtime that a matching signal could not be found:

QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_MyWindow_testSignal()

This is because when connectSlotsByName processes the on_MyWindow_testSignal slot it looks for a child object named "MyWindow" of the object passed as parameter (in the above case this, the instance of the MainWindow class) which it cannot find because it is not a child object but the instance itself that is named "MyWindow".

Now if you had QObject-derived class named "MyApplication" that had a slot named "on_MyWindow_testSignal" and a member variable m_mainWindow of type MainWindow * then a call of connectSlotsByName with the instance of the MyApplication class would be able to set up a connection from the "testSignal" signal of the MainWindow instance (m_mainWindow) to the on_MyWindow_testSignal slot of the MyApplication instance because m_mainWindow would be a child object named "MyWindow" of the MyApplication instance.

In your case you would have to set up the connection manually, but you shouldn't use the "on_" prefix for the slot's name because connectSlotsByName is also called at the end of setupUi which would again throw the warning that there is no matching signal for the slot.

{
ui->setupUi(this);
count = 0;

connect(this, SIGNAL(testSignal()), SLOT(testSignalHandler()));
}

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
-Stefan

jonathanmotes
March 25th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Yes, that was very helpful!

I was thinking that connectSlotsByName must only work for child objects. Thanks for clarifying this for me!