PDA

View Full Version : So many noobs

WalmartSniperLX
May 4th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Isn't it wonderful? Linux is growing! I just started using linux about little more than half a year ago. I love it. And, it seems that Ubuntu is drawing in a lot of fresh users straight from Windows and/or mac. I cant wait to see what these people (and all of us) have to contribute :D

Do you think at this rate that Linux will live forever?

**I used the term "noobs" in the title to catch your eye ;)

Aetherius
May 4th, 2007, 10:05 AM
I have to say I agree, I've seen alot more "newstarts" kicking about the forums. Its a damn good thing.

I for one will be giving any and all help I can.

Educate! And take their minds away from the "Windows-Way-Of-Doing-Things" ;)

steven8
May 4th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Isn't it wonderful? Linux is growing! I just started using linux about little more than half a year ago. I love it. And, it seems that Ubuntu is drawing in a lot of fresh users straight from Windows and/or mac. I cant wait to see what these people (and all of us) have to contribute :D

I believe computers would have to end for Linux to end.

WalmartSniperLX
May 4th, 2007, 10:09 AM
I know Linux will be around for years to come since anyone can work on it. But, knowing that there are constantly newcomers moving into linux excites me :lolflag:

KiwiNZ
May 4th, 2007, 10:24 AM
This really is an exciting time for this Forum and Ubuntu.

This really has been a great week.

xyz
May 4th, 2007, 10:51 AM

Funny you should post this as I was just thinking about it loging into the Café.
It's just great!
I was wondering if there is somewhere an estimation of how many new Ubuntuers and/or Linux whatever_distro join in per day?

FoolsGold
May 4th, 2007, 10:55 AM
God-damn n00bs!

/pokes everyone with a stick

DoctorMO
May 4th, 2007, 12:20 PM
/ FoolsGod stick broke

the.dark.lord
May 4th, 2007, 12:41 PM

[-X

But that made me open this ;)

starcraft.man
May 4th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Hazzah, I guess I'd be one of the new people your referring to :D Straight from 15 years of DOS, 95 98 2000 and XP :)

I'm very happy with LInux, and I'll be around to help for long as i can.

SyL
May 4th, 2007, 12:58 PM
I have to say I agree, I've seen alot more "newstarts" kicking about the forums. Its a damn good thing.

I for one will be giving any and all help I can.

Educate! And take their minds away from the "Windows-Way-Of-Doing-Things" ;)

right! since 2004 the Ubuntu community is growing so quickly!

Everybody should convert friends!! and we'll get a better world ...
heuu computing speaking, i mean :-k

sandman55
May 4th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Perhaps M$ Vi$ta has something to do with It and their ricdiculous number of versions of Vi$ta

starcraft.man
May 4th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Perhaps M$ Vi$ta has something to do with It and their ricdiculous number of versions of Vi$ta

I'd have to agree with that, I was turned off by Vista. Its got way too much DRM, its hardware requirements are ridiculous, and it is way overpriced for being just a crummy facelift to XP. The worst thing, is that they are starting to limit what you can do with your OS, they shoved all the nice new features in Ultimate, and people getting home basic and premium get shafted. There should have only been one version. Not to mention, I hate being spied upon....

Just look their latest policy idea is to spy on your pc every month, (http://badvista.fsf.org/rss_manager.2006-11-03.1305044709/2007-05-03.2026941934) next it will be weekly and then, live spying :p

henriquemaia
May 4th, 2007, 01:19 PM
[-X

But that made me open this ;)

I was also captured by it. Nice tactic.

BuffaloX
May 4th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Linux rulez. :)

I have calculated that with current growth rate, in 11 years Linux will have 120% market share.
Maybe even more... :lolflag:

3rdalbum
May 4th, 2007, 02:09 PM
he worst thing, is that they are starting to limit what you can do with your OS, they shoved all the nice new features in Ultimate, and people getting home basic and premium get shafted. There should have only been one version.

"There's too many Vista distributions! There should be just one!" :-P

EdThaSlayer
May 4th, 2007, 02:19 PM
BBC sure helped us a lot by having an article on Ubuntu. :D

mills
May 4th, 2007, 02:27 PM
does anyone know the rate of growth of these forums over the last year or even 6 months?

or maybe the amount of posts per day/week/month would be a more accurate way to measure activity?

raymac46
May 4th, 2007, 02:57 PM
I think we are about to get into the golden age of dumpster diving and PC recycling thanks to Ubuntu and other first rate Linux distros out there.
For basic needs, a 2000 era Pentium III system can work very well indeed. Most of these old junkers are still running Windows 98 or Me and don't have a hope in Hades of running Vista. It's not worth getting an XP license either. That'll cost twice what the whole system is worth, if not more.
However with some second hand SDRAM (boost 'em to the max) they'll run Ubuntu very well and since they're often built like an M1A2 Abrams, they'll serve for many more years.
Bring 'em on! I've already fixed 4 of them for friends who didn't have a PC at all.

TheWizzard
May 4th, 2007, 06:03 PM
I think we are about to get into the golden age of dumpster diving and PC recycling thanks to Ubuntu and other first rate Linux distros out there.
For basic needs, a 2000 era Pentium III system can work very well indeed. Most of these old junkers are still running Windows 98 or Me and don't have a hope in Hades of running Vista. It's not worth getting an XP license either. That'll cost twice what the whole system is worth, if not more.
However with some second hand SDRAM (boost 'em to the max) they'll run Ubuntu very well and since they're often built like an M1A2 Abrams, they'll serve for many more years.
Bring 'em on! I've already fixed 4 of them for friends who didn't have a PC at all.

indeed! my 2001 amd athlon runs much smoother than most of the xp pc's in the office i work. i just had mechanical problems like a broken cpu-fan..

BuffaloX
May 4th, 2007, 06:53 PM
"There's too many Vista distributions! There should be just one!" :-P

That would make it just one too many, which is MUCH better than the current number.