PDA

View Full Version : time to buy stock in dell?

finer recliner
May 4th, 2007, 04:54 AM
so with all the commotion in the linux community over dell now offering preinstalled ubuntu, i thought maybe it would be a good time to invest in dell?

looking at their stock the past couple days, it jumped a little bit upon announcing the big news:
http://finance.google.com/finance?q=DELL

i figure that dell obviously plans on increasing sales by offering ubuntu to it's customers, so why not trade some stock?

your thoughts?

starcraft.man
May 4th, 2007, 05:00 AM
LOL, sorry but your planning on getting financial investment advice from a forum full of Ubuntu geeks (I say that with love for being a geek :p)? Just sounds really funny :D

Honestly though, I highly doubt that just because Dell offers Ubuntu preloaded that hordes and hordes of people will flock to it, and thusly, highly doubt that their sales sky rocket as a result of linux. Call me a skeptic.

ronocdh
May 4th, 2007, 05:36 AM
LOL, sorry but your planning on getting financial investment advice from a forum full of Ubuntu geeks (I say that with love for being a geek :p)? Just sounds really funny :D

Honestly though, I highly doubt that just because Dell offers Ubuntu preloaded that hordes and hordes of people will flock to it, and thusly, highly doubt that their sales sky rocket as a result of linux. Call me a skeptic.
True. But don't ignore the effects of hype; if the market is snatching up stock, it doesn't really matter how profitable the idea actually is. Buy and sell.

And for the record, I think this will work wonders for Dell. It'll get them tons of media coverage and make them look progressive. They will be talking for years about how they were the first major computer manufacturer to ship Linux pre-installed (don't argue with me, I'm just saying that's what they'll say!).

In fact, if they provide sweet laptops with 100% open hardware, they've got my money. That puts pressure on vendors to put pressure on hardware manufacturers to release drivers! Gotta love it.

finer recliner
May 4th, 2007, 05:38 AM
oh i dont forsee hordes of people going to purchase ubuntu machines either. but anything that increases sales and makes the stock climb, is something id be interested in. I definitely don't think this is going to "save" dell, nor put them way out ahead of everyone else in the market. i think (and hope i'm right) that its just a little push closer to first place.

and i also hope that this will increase the number of linux users and make linux a respectable OS

Sef
May 4th, 2007, 06:09 AM
so with all the commotion in the linux community over dell now offering preinstalled ubuntu, i thought maybe it would be a good time to invest in dell?

i figure that dell obviously plans on increasing sales by offering ubuntu to it's customers, so why not trade some stock?

Buying a stock is something that should be based on a study of that stock. Not just because the company did something you like. You can make money off of stocks, but you can lose money too. Are you able to to lose the money that you would invest in Dell? If no, then best not too buy it.

~LoKe
May 4th, 2007, 06:20 AM
It's too late. You have to nip when they're just starting out, or are planning something massive. The inclusion of Linux will not make a huge jump in their worth, because, in simple terms, people will be buying Dell's with Linux instead of Dell's with Windows. I don't expect sales to jump.

The move by Dell is simply to show that they will cater to the needs of others.

Again, it's too late to buy shares in companies like this, Intel, and AMD (for now, I expect their stock to drop to drastic levels, at a point where buying big get you on top).

gtfourdreams
May 4th, 2007, 06:23 AM
it wouldn't be a *bad* time to buy. given that dell also announced recently to offer Windows XP on their machines again (which people will flock for). and because of declining sales they were going to offer Dells in retail stores. all that might just boost their market share back up. more importantly though, Dell is back as CEO which will prove invaluable. I think he knows where he must go better than anybody else for that company.

Spr0k3t
May 4th, 2007, 08:41 AM
The best time to buy Dell stock would have been when IdeaStorm first hit. This would be the time to sell, before the Linux consumer systems are released. So if you have missed that boat, wait at least three months then evaluate their standings for 4th quarter margins and read up on the projected forecast of term investors. I don't see a very good trend in their dividend offerings and the liquid worth is about average of their paper worth. So my predictions on this one is to either sell while the stock is up, or hold until two weeks prior to their release of fourth quarter earnings.

Been doing this for a while. I make a point to never purchase technology stocks... too unpredictable.

finer recliner
May 4th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Been doing this for a while.

you definitely sound like you know what you're talking about. Where'd you learn all this stuff about stock trading? i'd like to read up on it myself. (i.e. projected forecast, liquid worth, paper worth, etc). thanks

Spr0k3t
May 6th, 2007, 10:16 AM
you definitely sound like you know what you're talking about. Where'd you learn all this stuff about stock trading? i'd like to read up on it myself. (i.e. projected forecast, liquid worth, paper worth, etc). thanks

The best site you can learn any information about stocks is from the source that earns the highest yeild net worth over profit: http://fool.com . Learn how to trade and every aspect you can pull from it, then learn how to use short calls and options... that's where the real money is at. It's very confusing at first, but over time you'll understand more about it.

Stay away from Cramer's Mad Money report. Yeah, he may earn quite a bit on his profit takings from the stocks, but he's fueling his earnings from outside losses which falsifies his overall worth. You'll understand what I mean by reading the newsbits on fool.com.

I studied fool for about six weeks and paper traded the entire time. I picked a few stocks I thought would be exellent (learned a few lessons there) and lost some fake money. After the six weeks was up, I rounded up a few thousand and opened an account with a local brokerage. I then started following the recommendations of the fool and earned a quarterly dividend which I reinvest into my portfolio. So far, I've gained every penny I've put into the stocks six fold and have only done it for three years. I've since pulled my original investment out of the stocks and dropped it into a high interest revolving CD. My savings is earning an average of 19.23% interest.

If you are very serious about investing into the stock market, do it. You may not see any gain at first and may have a loss, but you will reap the benefits time and time again. Listen to what the experts say over at fool.com, I've not had a sour investment tip from them yet.