PDA

View Full Version : Petition - iTunes for Ubuntu

mauro
May 3rd, 2007, 11:14 PM
If you want iTunes for Ubuntu please sign this petition:
http://www.petitiononline.com/eb221998/petition.html

To: Apple, Inc.

Now that Ubuntu is going to be preinstalled onto Dell computers, it's only a matter of time before Ubuntu becomes a household name along with "Mac OSX" and "Windows Vista."
Apple Inc. owns a astounding share on the mp3 player community with their Apple iPod product line. With the introduction of Intel based Macs, dual operating systems are now easily able to be installed. With the latest "Fiesty Fawn" release of Ubuntu (7.04) there will be more computers running the free operating system. With iTunes being available for Windows and Mac users, how long will it be until Apple releases an Ubuntu version of iTunes? I, for one, would gladly ditch Windows for Ubuntu but no iTunes support is keeping me from doing that. Yes, I have a Macbook but my music collection is kept on my PC whose speed is getting slower every day.
With this petition, I want to let Apple Inc. know the demand for an Ubuntu iTunes. Each and every signature is a voice that Apple needs to hear.

Sincerely,

a12ctic
May 3rd, 2007, 11:40 PM
Itunes is a horribly coded app, I think we can do without it...

Footissimo
May 3rd, 2007, 11:41 PM
Prefer to see the FOSS alternatives pushed a bit more TBH - it's not like we're devoid of excellent music players / organisers..and there's plenty of work in applications that can connect up to iPods.

tbroderick
May 3rd, 2007, 11:44 PM
Not gonna happen. Apple wants people to buy their products. I don't think there is any chance they would release Itunes and the needed codecs for Linux or *BSD. They make an exception for Windows users cause; a. it's the most used OS b. to get people to switch to Apple.

gashcr
May 3rd, 2007, 11:50 PM
I wouldn't ask exactly for Itunes, cause there's something about it I don't like anyways... OK, its good if your Ipod crashes, and It can convert between files and manage your pics... but well, It would be good if it help giving more Ipod support to Linux, then I'm signing.

Jonne
May 3rd, 2007, 11:55 PM
Apple's software sucks when they write it for another platform (QuickTime, iTunes, ...), so why would you want to inflict that upon Ubuntu? Is there a lack of music players for Linux?

Kujen
May 4th, 2007, 12:05 AM
I think you're about the only person who wants that horrible piece of software on Linux.

napsilan
May 4th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Exaile (or amarok) is much better, and can sync your ipod/zen/etc as well.

jackmc
May 4th, 2007, 12:13 AM
I prefer Amarok, however it is true that there is only one way to fix a busted ipod, and thats hooking it up to itunes. Even if they just made the update/restore program available on linux I'd be happy

Pale_Buddha
May 4th, 2007, 12:18 AM
Agreed it is a bloated goat of a program, but can we realistically alter the fact that society has annointed it the standard in what it does. Heck It's the only real place to find podcasts easily.

I don't think the iPod is going anywhere. Most people are sheep and will accept defaults as gospel. Therefore, most people will go to iTunes just because that's what they are "supposed to do". It's not going anywhere and if we want to increse the foothold of Ubuntu, we need as many popular apps as possible to run natively. (See the Photoshop debate for more)

Just my $0.02
PB

dashnak
May 4th, 2007, 12:20 AM
I hate iTunes

frup
May 4th, 2007, 12:29 AM
I would rather see linux apps being able to restore the firmware on the Ipod, when you accidently format it thinking its a hard drive :oops:

Apart from that I have no use for it. Ipod support has become amazing in the last year. It will only get better. Itunes is redundant.

SunnyRabbiera
May 4th, 2007, 12:38 AM
well rather if people hate or like it I sort of like the idea of itunes on linux, amarok comes close but some might find it too different to itunes to understand.

ziadoz
May 4th, 2007, 12:58 AM
I prefer Banshee myself. It does everything I use iTunes for on my Windows setup minus the bloat.

starcraft.man
May 4th, 2007, 01:21 AM
Nay, never should we have a program that actively supports heinous DRM on an open platform like linux... Apple, keep your stuff to yourself.

jcconnor
May 4th, 2007, 01:35 AM
For me, it's not a question of iTunes so much is it's a question of the iTunes store support especially now that they are moving their catalog to a non-DRM format. If there were an Linux alternative that allowed me to purchase the non-DRM catalog of tracks off of the iTunes store I would be all for it.

Sweet Spot
May 4th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Um, just ROCKbox (http://www.rockbox.org) your iPod and forget about having to use software at all if you wish.

ronocdh
May 4th, 2007, 02:03 AM
Very pleased to see everyone supporting the Linux apps over iTunes! And I must second Rockboxing over restoring iPod firmware; I mean, wouldn't it be nice to play open source codecs on your iPod? ;)

BOBSONATOR
May 4th, 2007, 04:25 AM
I prefer Banshee myself. It does everything I use iTunes for on my Windows setup minus the bloat.

banshee ftw.

ghandi69_
May 4th, 2007, 04:28 AM
i absolutely despise Itunes, but for choice I guess I would sign a petition.

WalmartSniperLX
May 4th, 2007, 04:47 AM
The real question is : Why Ubuntu? Not to flame but I see more and more Ubuntu users becoming greedy or close minded on other Linux distributions. It should be about Linux, not Ubuntu. Even if Dell is choosing Ubuntu as their Linux OS of choice, it shouldn't mean that Apple should be making Ubuntu .debs only. It's so little work to make a .rpm for Red Hat/Fedora, and a .tgz for Slackware at the same time (just a select example). It's a good idea but I think the petition should be expanded to Linux in general. In fact, it would be even easier if they just pack it all in a .run or a different type of install script. Besides, that way Apple will get more users using iTunes since it would be ported to Linux, not just Ubuntu. Also they could make it real easy and release the source, but that isn't going to happen. :D

Slackpacker
May 4th, 2007, 05:02 AM
While I agree with the consensus that this petition is quixotic at best, I do kind of miss iTunes (yes, I've tried AmaroK, I'm using Rhythmbox right now). I can see how people can support OSS apps over proprietary and despise DRM, but I had no idea people loathed iTunes so much. What on earth did it do to you? Can someone explain "bloated and badly coded?" Is this specifically directed at the Windows version? I really haven't had any problems with the Mac version...

Mateo
May 4th, 2007, 05:06 AM
It's bloated programs like Itunes, which need splash screens to load and use up more memory than some 3d games, that got me to start using ubuntu in the first place ;)

ronocdh
May 4th, 2007, 05:42 AM
It's bloated programs like Itunes, which need splash screens to load and use up more memory than some 3d games, that got me to start using ubuntu in the first place ;)
Um, iTunes doesn't have a splash screen. Have you ever even used it? Look, I agree with everybody here that iTunes is the pits, but I'm not going to lie about why. Although iTunes did kill my firstborn son.

Anyway, what bothers me is iTunes's high CPU usage in OS X. I think it's just caching ahead, but it makes me uncomfortable to see my processors go that high when I'm just listening and surfing (I keep the Activity Monitor open at all times because I'm an infojunkie). I much prefer to use Songbird in OS X; it's open source and entirely customizable! It also plays all codecs, which rocks.

That said, I do believe that people are just lying to make proprietary software look worse than it is; Mateo's post above is a case in point.

ghandi69_
May 4th, 2007, 06:48 AM
How about a petition to a get a Linux port of Foobar?? That was by far my favorite linux music player.

And lets get a Linux port of Exact Audio Copy while we are at it.

Polygon
May 4th, 2007, 06:53 AM
how about we petition that apple opens up their API for interfacing with the ipod. We dont need itunes, we have a lot of stuff that is equal or better (songbird.. exaile..listen...amarok... just to name a few/)

karellen
May 4th, 2007, 06:56 AM
why would I want iTunes in ubuntu? I don't own an iPod and exaile/xmms/amarok are more than suitable for my needs

sloggerkhan
May 4th, 2007, 06:57 AM
Don't want iTunes. Be nice if they made an open interface to iPods, Music Store, though. W/O DRM. Not that I dislike Magnatune and Jamendo.

lakersforce
May 4th, 2007, 07:18 AM
No Thanks. I can live without.

TravisNewman
May 4th, 2007, 07:20 AM
All I can say: good luck :)

Belyel
May 4th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Nay, we need no iTunes in linux. It would be redundant, and would only be useful in the sense that one could purchase music from iTunes for their iPod. uSheep, use open source apps in linux! That's the whole reason for switching.

Jonne
May 4th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Is this specifically directed at the Windows version? I really haven't had any problems with the Mac version...
Yes, I think a lot of us mean the Windows version. Apple has a history of writing crappy and invasive Windows software. The apps don't look native, they add systray icons for no reason (loading at startup, using memory for doing nothing), and they steal your file associations.

graabein
May 4th, 2007, 07:53 AM
No, heavens no!! No itunes please.

Next thing they'll try to sue the other iPod applications over ridiculous GUI patent violations. And they'll win because the poor developers can't afford going to court, not because they're breaking the law, breaking the law. I might be way off here -- being around the Internet and reading IT news has made me delusional.

Spr0k3t
May 4th, 2007, 08:09 AM
I am just stating my opinion against iTunes. It's a horrible application filled with a nice layer of bloat. I'm all for a way to just reset the firmware on the units from Linux.

WalmartSniperLX
May 4th, 2007, 08:21 AM
hmm well I don't have an iPod or use iTunes. So, I really am unaffected. But those who do want iTunes on linux, I hope you get what you want (even though I doubt Apple will be easily persuaded). As far as me, I don't care haha :lolflag:

jarvis13
May 4th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Haven't you learned yet that Apple just takes from the *nix community and gives nothing back?

Screw Apple. Even if all of iLife were available for Linux, I wouldn't use it.

WalmartSniperLX
May 4th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Haven't you learned yet that Apple just takes from the *nix community and gives nothing back?

Screw Apple. Even if all of iLife were available for Linux, I wouldn't use it.

You can thank BSD for encouraging that :D

But, I agree. Screw Apple. Why can't people see they are more strict than MS? It is 100% true.

Gargamella
May 4th, 2007, 01:25 PM

I agree, the best thing I found in linux is music players, everyone better than that

wh0rd
May 4th, 2007, 01:33 PM
iTunes has been known to wipe your iPod clean. Your alternatives in Linux:

GTKpod
Hipo
Songbird
Exaile
Banshee
Amarok

Zuph
May 4th, 2007, 01:54 PM
iTunes isn't just a music player, though. It's a pretty crappy music player, I'll admit. But it is probably the biggest and most successful method of digitally distributing music that's out there. If you want to get your music over the internet and legally, iTunes is the only way to do that for a lot of artists, especially if you want to get single songs. Though it might suck that the record companies have goaded apple into contracts that require restrictive DRM, this DRM is easily broken (doubly easy for linux users).

I want iTunes on Linux just so I can buy single songs from artists I enjoy, not so I can use it as a media player.

SyL
May 4th, 2007, 02:02 PM
don't need this crap for Ubuntu!!

3rdalbum
May 4th, 2007, 02:06 PM
As much as I hate DRM, I wouldn't mind it if Apple released the iTunes Music Store for Linux. It's unfortunately the only cost-effective way I can buy music by Mylene Farmer (anyone else who can't get enough of her songs, please PM me!). Of course, I burn them to CDs and then rip straight back to MP3.

But as a music manager, we already have better programs. As an iPod loader, we have better programs. And as for the iPod itself, Linux already works with better MP3 players.

forrestcupp
May 4th, 2007, 02:15 PM
iTunes isn't just a music player, though. It's a pretty crappy music player, I'll admit. But it is probably the biggest and most successful method of digitally distributing music that's out there. If you want to get your music over the internet and legally, iTunes is the only way to do that for a lot of artists, especially if you want to get single songs. Though it might suck that the record companies have goaded apple into contracts that require restrictive DRM, this DRM is easily broken (doubly easy for linux users).

I want iTunes on Linux just so I can buy single songs from artists I enjoy, not so I can use it as a media player.

+1

Most of you guys are totally missing the point. It's not about having another music player. iTunes is their interface to the music store. I don't have an iPod either, but I'd love a way to legally buy digital music. Let's think about this here. A lot of you hate anything that's not a Linux original. Why? All of us hate DRM. Steve Jobs and crew are the only ones who have successfully made a deal with a major record label to sell music WITHOUT DRM. I'm all for that. I would love to be able to buy music from them.

saulgoode
May 4th, 2007, 02:48 PM
ITunes does not sell music, it sells digital data streams. (At least that's what Apple claimed in the lawsuit with Apple Records.) :)

greymongrey
May 4th, 2007, 03:15 PM

Apparently a lot of people who have posted in this thread doesn't use their iPod for this. I agree, there are better players but the player isn't the important part. It's the ability to be able to buy from the Itunes Store. I wish Apple would just open their store on the web instead of making us access it only through iTunes.

gashcr
May 4th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Um, just ROCKbox (http://www.rockbox.org) your iPod and forget about having to use software at all if you wish.

Good idea... but won't work for me until Rockbox have 80Gb Ipod support...

koshatnik
May 4th, 2007, 04:05 PM
I'd rather saw my own arm off than give Steve Jobs a penny of my money. He's nothing more than a highwayman.

Sweet Spot
May 4th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Good idea... but won't work for me until Rockbox have 80Gb Ipod support...

Just hang out. They'll get there eventually.

gashcr
May 4th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Just hang out. They'll get there eventually.

I hope so, I can't wait to change all my collection to OGG!!!

hoagie
May 4th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Bah we don't need that, I never really liked itunes. I used though for a period of time because everybody was talking about how great it was. Well I can't see what's so great about it.

PS: I haven;t used the apple store if that's what it makes it special.

jrusso2
May 4th, 2007, 04:43 PM
I encourage anyone using the DRM infested iPod to dump it and get a non-drm player that already works with Linux.

The Archos runs Linux and is easy to use with Linux.

gashcr
May 4th, 2007, 04:59 PM
I don't know what you think... but well, my personal experience is that I indeed like my ipod ( for many reasons i don't need to post ). Here in my country you don't have many options neither...

But as long as all this stuff, I don't think we should mix things. I really love ubuntu, and linux in general, for other many things I don't really need to post neither, but the main I can tell is CHOICE. The only thing I complain about Apple is that they should support their customers ( at least Ipod customers, as we are saving that company's a** ), independently of the platform they chose. Period. I mean, I bought my ipod time before I started using Linux, and I don't intend to throw that money away just because it goes against OpenSource ideology...

SyL
May 4th, 2007, 09:09 PM
+1

Most of you guys are totally missing the point. It's not about having another music player. iTunes is their interface to the music store. I don't have an iPod either, but I'd love a way to legally buy digital music. Let's think about this here. A lot of you hate anything that's not a Linux original. Why? All of us hate DRM. Steve Jobs and crew are the only ones who have successfully made a deal with a major record label to sell music WITHOUT DRM. I'm all for that. I would love to be able to buy music from them.

nothing to do with hate of whatever is not open source!! You willing to pay for get some music, well you don't need itune for that, there is plenty of famous website providing exactly the same service...

aysiu
May 4th, 2007, 09:16 PM
With iTunes being available for Windows and Mac users, how long will it be until Apple releases an Ubuntu version of iTunes? I, for one, would gladly ditch Windows for Ubuntu but no iTunes support is keeping me from doing that. See, this is where your petition lacks leverage. Apple doesn't care if you ditch Windows for Ubuntu. Apple cares only if you ditch Windows for Mac or Ubuntu for Mac. Why would they care if you're trying to ditch Windows for Ubuntu?

You're not giving them any incentive to port iTunes to Ubuntu.

Not to mention the fact the online petitions are ineffective means of change.

goumples
May 4th, 2007, 11:28 PM
See, this is where your petition lacks leverage. Apple doesn't care if you ditch Windows for Ubuntu. Apple cares only if you ditch Windows for Mac or Ubuntu for Mac. Why would they care if you're trying to ditch Windows for Ubuntu?

People not using iTunes because its imcompatible with the their Linux OS may be an incentive for Apple as the Linux user base gets larger. Some potential customers going elsewhere because of lack of access... I can see iTunes ported for Linux someday.. not necessarily anytime soon, however. :(

aysiu
May 4th, 2007, 11:40 PM
People not using iTunes because its imcompatible with the their Linux OS may be an incentive for Apple as the Linux user base gets larger. Some potential customers going elsewhere because of lack of access... I can see iTunes ported for Linux someday.. not necessarily anytime soon, however. :(
That's something Apple's executives will assess themselves once they see the Linux user base get larger. A petition like this won't convince them the port of iTunes is worth the effort.

juxtaposed
May 5th, 2007, 12:09 AM
I'd 100% rather have foobar2000 ported to linux, and I really don't like iTunes, but i'd be happy if it was an option on linux... Just because I don't wan't to use it doesn't mean others dont :P

Boomy
May 5th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Why would I want iTunes when I already have better choices? I hate Apple's DRM, and I hate the ipod. I also can't understand why the ipod seems to be considered the only mp3 player on the market. I don't get it. Also, a "podcast" is just an audiofile, so why not just call it an mp3 or whatever. "Podcast" implies to me that there is some kind of broadcast going on, when in actuality you are just hearring a pre-recorded clip. Am I missing something?

MrHorus
May 5th, 2007, 11:22 AM
I don't want iTunes or any other DRM software on my system - I can manage my iPod (with Rockbox before anyone pulls me up... :P ) and listen to music just fine without it.

igknighted
May 5th, 2007, 11:42 AM
See, this is where your petition lacks leverage. Apple doesn't care if you ditch Windows for Ubuntu. Apple cares only if you ditch Windows for Mac or Ubuntu for Mac. Why would they care if you're trying to ditch Windows for Ubuntu?

Actually, Apple doesn't care if you run Windows, Linux or Mac OS... just that you buy their hardware (which conveniently comes bundled with OSX, so they lose nothing if you buy/install another option instead). This includes their iPod. If they thought that iTunes for linux would increase iPod sales, we might see it next week. If they figure linux has options and they won't sell anything new, then we wont.

iPower
May 5th, 2007, 12:04 PM
iTunes is bloated

deep.tinker77
May 5th, 2007, 12:13 PM
I would like to see ITunes or another app that gives all of the features (if not more and hopefully DRM free) on any linux distro, not just Ubuntu. If there is an open-source app that allows me to purchase tv shows (the only reason I use ITunes), then please let me know. ITunes is the only reason I haven't dumped my XP partition completely, and until an open-source app gives me the ability to do what ITunes does, that will not change.

mech7
May 5th, 2007, 02:09 PM
I rather see a petition for adobe ;)

AndyCooll
May 5th, 2007, 02:23 PM
I rather see a petition for adobe ;)

That might get a little more support. :)

This petition seems to be more of an anti-iTunes petition. And I'll go along with that. For those that want iTunes I thought Songbird was an equivalent (aysiu can correct me if I'm wrong).

I have no desire to own an iPod, or use the iTunes store (nor any desire to see a Linux version of it). IMHO we should be purchasing media-players that are compatible with Linux and proprietary-free codecs.

:cool:

igknighted
May 5th, 2007, 02:34 PM
That might get a little more support. :)

This petition seems to be more of an anti-iTunes petition. And I'll go along with that. For those that want iTunes I thought Songbird was an equivalent (aysiu can correct me if I'm wrong).

I have no desire to own an iPod, or use the iTunes store (nor any desire to see a Linux version of it). IMHO we should be purchasing media-players that are compatible with Linux and proprietary-free codecs.

:cool:

Ironically due to the demand (and thereby the work that has gone into them) iPods are some of the more linux compatible players there are (especially if you replace the firmware with even more linux friendly stuff... then they can even play .ogg, and make my nano play movies!)

Sunnz
May 5th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Signed.

Porting software to Linux should always be welcomed.

aysiu
May 5th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Actually, Apple doesn't care if you run Windows, Linux or Mac OS... just that you buy their hardware (which conveniently comes bundled with OSX, so they lose nothing if you buy/install another option instead). This includes their iPod. If they thought that iTunes for linux would increase iPod sales, we might see it next week. If they figure linux has options and they won't sell anything new, then we wont.
Well, I agree with you, but I also disagree with you.

Yes, they're a hardware company, not a software company, but since Mac OS X legally works on only Apple hardware, then they sort of do care if you use OS X. It's true--iPod sales in and of themselves are a good thing for Apple, but they also want this so-called "halo effect," where people buying iPods leads them to trust and/or fall in love with Apple products and ultimately buy an Apple computer, too.

The point being--you can't say, "Hey, I'm trying to leave Windows for Ubuntu. Can you help me by porting iTunes?" If Apple feels porting iTunes to Ubuntu will increase sales (iPods, Macs, whatever), they'll do it. Judging by this thread, I'd say it wouldn't.

dspari1
May 5th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Porting apps that are familiar to everyone is the key to getting more people to switch.

aysiu
May 5th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Porting apps that are familiar to everyone is the key to getting more people to switch.
I think you have it backwards.

Getting more people to switch is the key to having more apps ported.

dspari1
May 5th, 2007, 05:33 PM
I think you have it backwards.

Getting more people to switch is the key to having more apps ported.

Maybe both is correct?

Get people to switch to get more apps ported that will in effect also get more people to switch.

It's always nice to show Windows users that I use LimeWire and Firefox.

Sunnz
May 5th, 2007, 05:35 PM
It is a chicken and egg problem.

Some people just can't switch until all their apps are ported.

Some apps don't get ported until there is enough demand.

But it got to start somewhere. Porting should be welcomed, just because there is a port doesn't mean you have to use it, but having that port would mean more people switch which in turn causes more ports available to you.

dspari1
May 5th, 2007, 05:40 PM
It is a chicken and egg problem.

But it got to start somewhere. Porting should be welcomed, just because there is a port doesn't mean you have to use it, but having that port would mean more people switch which in turn causes more ports available to you.

Exactly, even if you do not like itunes, signing the petition could potentially get more users on Linux that will in turn get other apps(the ones you want) ported.

stchman
May 8th, 2007, 10:59 PM
If you want iTunes for Ubuntu please sign this petition:
http://www.petitiononline.com/eb221998/petition.html

To: Apple, Inc.

Now that Ubuntu is going to be preinstalled onto Dell computers, it's only a matter of time before Ubuntu becomes a household name along with "Mac OSX" and "Windows Vista."
Apple Inc. owns a astounding share on the mp3 player community with their Apple iPod product line. With the introduction of Intel based Macs, dual operating systems are now easily able to be installed. With the latest "Fiesty Fawn" release of Ubuntu (7.04) there will be more computers running the free operating system. With iTunes being available for Windows and Mac users, how long will it be until Apple releases an Ubuntu version of iTunes? I, for one, would gladly ditch Windows for Ubuntu but no iTunes support is keeping me from doing that. Yes, I have a Macbook but my music collection is kept on my PC whose speed is getting slower every day.
With this petition, I want to let Apple Inc. know the demand for an Ubuntu iTunes. Each and every signature is a voice that Apple needs to hear.

Sincerely,

Actually a much better petition is for Apple to remove the DRM from their ipods. That way you can just drag and drop your MP3s onto the ipod and not have to let itunes convert the MP3 into that screwy M4P cr@p. I read that some folks have been able to hack the nano firmware to get the nano to play MP3 files.

gashcr
May 8th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Actually a much better petition is for Apple to remove the DRM from their ipods. That way you can just drag and drop your MP3s onto the ipod and not have to let itunes convert the MP3 into that screwy M4P cr@p. I read that some folks have been able to hack the nano firmware to get the nano to play MP3 files.

Actually I play MP3 files on my Ipod, being sync by gtkpod, without any hacking...

Though, still waiting for rockbox to support my ipod...

stchman
May 8th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Actually I play MP3 files on my Ipod, being sync by gtkpod, without any hacking...

Though, still waiting for rockbox to support my ipod...

No, I mean when you plug in your ipod that it is just a drive to the PC that you can use Nautilus to drag and drop .mp3 files and the ipod will play them. No conversion necessary. No other application is needed.

From what I understand gtkpod, rythmbox, amarok do the conversion from .mp3 to the DRM file type.

b0ng0
May 8th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Why would you want such a crippy piece of software for Ubuntu when you could have so many of the awesome programs out there.

gashcr
May 8th, 2007, 11:15 PM
mmm, got it! well, that's why I'm saying I want rockbox support, as long as I know, rockbox let you do that

jiminycricket
May 8th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Agreed it is a bloated goat of a program, but can we realistically alter the fact that society has annointed it the standard in what it does. Heck It's the only real place to find podcasts easily.

That's a good point. Rhythmbox could do worse than collect podcasts. Why not file a feature request at Gnome bugzilla if it doesn't already have it in the latest version? They even have Jamendo music store now.

Jono Bacon had an article (http://www.jonobacon.org/?p=925) a while ago about there being all this free content, wikipedia, creative commons, yet it not all being tied together with free software for both upload, creation, and download. I know bzr aims to do that in the abstract, but it's only for software right now really.

roadrocket13
May 13th, 2007, 03:06 PM
are you all seriously deluded enough to believe that Open Source software works better than applications created expressly for Windows and Apple computers? there is plenty of music software out there for Linux . . . but none of it can sync an iPod properly, nor am i even slightly amused by the complete lack of tag editing incompetence.

yes, iTunes is a barge of a program but it works every time. something that free software should strive for. to hell with the fancy features, reliability is priceless. until then, Ubuntu and GNU/Linux will be a 2nd rate O/S. period.

lakersforce
May 13th, 2007, 03:17 PM
I'd 100% rather have foobar2000 ported to linux, and I really don't like iTunes, but i'd be happy if it was an option on linux... Just because I don't wan't to use it doesn't mean others dont :P

Amen. Foobar is THE BEST music player for windows, period.

limberlegs
August 7th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Yup... sign me up for a petition to get Foobar on Linux. Maybe EAC, too.

dca
August 7th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Won't happen. Unless you run a *nix based OS that has obtained the necessary licenses (you paid money for the OS and the license holder rec'd moneys) to run proprietary file formats, a'la MP3, M4A, or whatever...

izanbardprince
August 7th, 2007, 08:33 PM
355. Ryan Farmer Yes I don't really want iTunes, I just thought I'd take this opportunity to remind everyone what a buggy, bloated pile of dog crap it is on Windows and Mac, please don't infect a quality OS with your DRM and buggy half-assed programs.

st33med
August 7th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Actually, if you think about it, iTunes isn't bloatware. Why? Because it installed on a Mac by default. And every program on it is quality software.

I may sound like an Apple fan (I am, only a little, I'm more of an Ubuntu fan), but the reason I think you people think that iTunes is bloatware is because the bad taste of slowness on Windows. However, I don't like the DRM on every one of it's songs (with the exception of EMI music which is DRM-free). Then, there is the fact that it only hooks up with Apple products.

MattBD
August 7th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Personally, I'm not that bothered about iTunes on Linux for its own sake. The only reason I want it is so I can use my 2nd generation iPod Shuffle with my Last.fm account.

Lord Illidan
August 7th, 2007, 08:50 PM
No thanks..I use Rockbox!

SLA_leandrin
August 7th, 2007, 08:53 PM
And why not choose Ubuntu (or any other distro) becauste it don't have iTunes??

I, for one, would gladly ditch Windows for Ubuntu but no iTunes support is keeping me from doing that.

I don't agree :confused:

BDNiner
August 7th, 2007, 09:33 PM
With all the mp3 license issues i really doubt there will ever be iTunes on linux. Maybe on Linspire since they legally obtained the codecs, but even then it will be closed source. The default gnome music app is great. I just shared My Music on my windows computer and i was able to mount it to the desktop and the app found all my music. With Amarok i was unable to find the option to check the network for my music files.

vambo
August 7th, 2007, 09:41 PM
So we have Dollar Removal Mechanism on Linux - no thanks

FuturePilot
August 7th, 2007, 09:46 PM
I'd rather pass.

Exaile!:guitar:

MattBD
August 7th, 2007, 09:53 PM
What I'd really like to see is some company producing a range of digital music players designed for open source. It'd have to support formats such as FLAC and Ogg Vorbis out of the box as well as MP3 and so on. While there could be an official player for it available to download, this player would have to be open source so the programmers at Amarok, Banshee, Rhythmbox etc could incorporate support into their applications. And, of course, you'd have to have full integration with Last.fm etc so you could scrobble to your profile all of the tracks you've listened to.
As long as it was reasonably priced and looked OK, and they had one with a big hard drive (30GB or upwards) I'd certainly buy something like that as an alternative to an iPod.
Any thoughts on this?

Calash
August 7th, 2007, 09:54 PM
With all the mp3 license issues i really doubt there will ever be iTunes on linux. Maybe on Linspire since they legally obtained the codecs, but even then it will be closed source. The default gnome music app is great. I just shared My Music on my windows computer and i was able to mount it to the desktop and the app found all my music. With Amarok i was unable to find the option to check the network for my music files.

You have to mount the network share to a local point (ie /mnt/music) then point Amarok to this directory and it picks it up......sometimes :)

There are other issues with permissions that will cause it to skip songs...if I did not like the interface so much I would not bother.

aysiu
August 7th, 2007, 10:28 PM
As far as I know, Apple pays for the license to distribute the formats iTunes supports, so if it did port iTunes to Linux, legality would not be an issue.

MR.UNOWEN
November 20th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Hey everyone let's try getting apple to support Linux! Request itunes to work with Linux!

Let get our voices heard!
http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

Make sure to have the feedback type as Enhancement so that we all get sorted to same category. Feel free to bs the rest as Linux is not listed as an OS on there feed back page. I'm sure if we get a good number of us, apple may get i Tunes running for Ubuntu. I recommend suggesting Ubuntu in particular as I have no clue if programs work from one version to another of Linux and apple may turn the idea down due to the numerous versions of Linux.

I WANT MY IPOD TO WORK WITH LINUX USING ITUNES!

BTW is there any good video converters to install. Most my video are in avi, I'll need to convert them to mpeg if I'm going to watch them on my ipod.

Post here when you do, so we can see who has done so.
\\:D/

popch
November 20th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Hey everyone let's try getting apple to support Linux! Request itunes to work with Linux!

No, I won't. I just hate the way the application tries to take me to the shop every time I just try to import one of my own CDs into the iPod. I'd rather put up with the - to me - mediocre user interface of the apps supplied with Ubuntu.

MR.UNOWEN
November 20th, 2007, 04:26 PM
No, I won't. I just hate the way the application tries to take me to the shop every time I just try to import one of my own CDs into the iPod. I'd rather put up with the - to me - mediocre user interface of the apps supplied with Ubuntu.

Well I use an ipod, and I need a media player that can sync and stay up to date with. Also I haven't found the perfect media player for linux. Amarok just doesn't work, Banshee freezes the first time I run it and RhythemBox is ok, but lacks some basic features. Also none of them come with an good looking skin (not saying iTunes does, but still....). Personaly my favorite player is Win Media Player 10. Keeps track of all my media and looks good (but doesn't sync with my ipod). I'm still waiting to see a good media player for Linux. Either ways I need itunes to sync with my ipod.

But whether you like or dislike itunes, I still think there should be a push to get apple to support Linux. The reason is to get companies to start making software for Linux. Right now support for Linux is small in contrast to Windows. Also it's not like if Itunes is supported to run on Linux, everyone will be forced to use it, it's only going to widen the options of media players to choose from.

popch, although you may have a point, your only discouraging others. Basically what I'm trying to get at is if we can get apple to support Linux, then who know who else we can get to support Linux. The more the better, and it's not like it will pose any harm. It only widens the window of opportunity.

Lostincyberspace
November 20th, 2007, 04:48 PM
I want this, since their is no real all inclusive media player in linux I would be happy if was a couple of generations back.

zach12
November 20th, 2007, 04:55 PM
the way i see it any program that's ported to linux is one more person
that will use linux

AusIV4
November 20th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Apple won't make an iTunes for Linux. Apple is in the business of being THE alternative to Windows. If they had a link on their site to the Linux version of iTunes, people might realize there was another alternative to Windows, and even more significantly a FREE alternative to Windows that you can use with your existing hardware. It wouldn't be good for business.

What I'd like is for them to open up an API for buying from the iTunes Plus library. Perhaps they could offer a web interface, or release some spec that would allow an open source program to download music from iTunes Plus, since DRM is no longer a factor.

guillelo11
November 20th, 2007, 05:01 PM
I like Rhythmbox, i don't need iTunes

popch
November 20th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Since Darwin - the OS underlying Mac OS - is Unix anyway, I would think that it would be no hardship for Apple to port iTunes to Linux. Apple already sell the iPod with iTunes both for Mac OS and Windows, therefore it should - again - not present any particular difficulty to Apple to distribute it with yet another format, if they mistrust the Linux community to add the appropriate packages to their repositories.

Still, it would not feel right for me to actively support a petition as proposed here since I actively dislike iTunes and would not use a Linux version even if offered. I am trying very hard to 'detach' one of our iPods from its dependency on iTunes. The other one I already furnish using Linux, and I am thinking about installing Rockbox or some such just to get away as far as possible from the iTunes/iPod way of managing songs.

Besides, I am not all that sure if we would profit all that much if Apple merely ported their app to yet another platform. Porting it to Linux would not make it Open Source, which would of course be much preferable (even if presumably utopian in that case)

That's valid for me. It may not be for others, and I have certainly no objection if others do submit a petition.

MR.UNOWEN
November 20th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Apple won't make an iTunes for Linux. Apple is in the business of being THE alternative to Windows. If they had a link on their site to the Linux version of iTunes, people might realize there was another alternative to Windows, and even more significantly a FREE alternative to Windows that you can use with your existing hardware. It wouldn't be good for business.

What I'd like is for them to open up an API for buying from the iTunes Plus library. Perhaps they could offer a web interface, or release some spec that would allow an open source program to download music from iTunes Plus, since DRM is no longer a factor.

I see it the other way around. They'd probably refuse to open up an API for buying in fear of vulnerability and as for a link to Ubuntu, just because they have a downloadable version for Ubuntu doesn't mean they'll have a link saying Use Linux! If your talking about Windows, I doubt apple would concern themselves with such.

BTW I still don't see that argument for not petitioning. What harm does it do to us? Use it or don't use it, how does it effect you if it is available? No one is shoving it down your throat.

Also what is the point of posting your opposition in a petition that will have no effect on you? As I been saying over and over, No one is shoving it down your throat. All that this is doing is discouraging others who may of thought of using iTunes from taking action. Why discourage something.

In addition Itunes and a java compiler are the only two things keeping me from not using linux 100%. Well.... mabey games, but it's not like have any installed on it either, generally I keep my gaming to consoles. So there's more harm in not have iTunes than there are (like there is any) of having Itunes.

All this is doing is encouraging the chicken and egg problem.

I'm trying to break the cycle, so who's with me!

Glenn Jones
November 20th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Hey

So I've been thinking about this issue for a while on if linux needs iTunes or not and I've come to the conclusion that it would be a step in the wrong direction. Let me clarify myself I believe the time of the mp3 player as we know it is almost over hence apple's introduction of the iPhone and Google playing with the idea(phone or os or what ever it's going to be). 10 years ago apple intoduced the iPod/iTunes and revolutionised the mp3 player not only in looks but in its ability to integrate with your computer and life. Now there trying to do the same with the iPhone but this time you'll need a macintosh.

This is the perfect opportunity for the open source community to approach Google and other phone manufacturers such that we have a standard intergration system which is open source. Imagine how cool it would be to have amarok (or what ever music player you choose) on your computer and phone and you could sync both easily together? I believe that this is where the future lies. With advancements in phone hardware every year the iPhone is going to quickly look old and apple just wont have the manpower to keep.

what do you think????

Xanatos Craven
November 20th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Since Darwin - the OS underlying Mac OS - is Unix anyway, I would think that it would be no hardship for Apple to port iTunes to Linux. Apple already sell the iPod with iTunes both for Mac OS and Windows, therefore it should - again - not present any particular difficulty to Apple to distribute it with yet another format, if they mistrust the Linux community to add the appropriate packages to their repositories.
It is true that OS X is based on UNIX, but it's not UNIX and X Windows. Apple would still need to port all their own libraries and whatnot to Linux to develop iTunes for Linux. Especially their crappy out-of-place Aqua GUI they love to use on their ported software.

This petition will fall on deaf ears. MS collaborates with Apple to make sure that only OS X is seen as the alternative to Windows, so that the significance of Linux is further downplayed. Contributing anything to Linux would be counterproductive for Apple's dreams of a never-ending OS duopoly.

And personally I hope they never do, because whatever they'd end up porting over, it would only be second-rate compared to other native software.

ICEcoffee
November 20th, 2007, 07:14 PM
both aTunes and Songbird provide suitable replacements, although songbird is still in early development, I tested it out on a PClinuxOS 2007 system, it it worked fine. A bit of time and support to them could see some 'wonderful' things.

aTunes looks good, I haven't tested it. It runs as a Java app, and I try to stay clear of Java apps.

Viva la FOSS

aysiu
November 20th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Maybe I should start a petition asking Ubuntu users not to buy iPods...

sloggerkhan
November 20th, 2007, 07:40 PM
I agree, aysiu. One thing I dislike: No MP3 player plays .ogg AND .aac/.m4a , which, IMO, makes it hard for people w/ itunes libraries to switch to linux and start using an open format. :( So all the more reason to get people to stop using iPods already. Or just use .mp3 to begin with instead of .aac/.m4a .

sorcererx84
November 20th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Or just use .mp3 to begin with instead of .aac/.m4a .
Why? AAC is an international standard, superior to mp3 and it can be used in Ubuntu with faac/faad.

aysiu
November 20th, 2007, 08:10 PM
I agree, aysiu. One thing I dislike: No MP3 player plays .ogg AND .aac/.m4a , which, IMO, makes it hard for people w/ itunes libraries to switch to linux and start using an open format. :( So all the more reason to get people to stop using iPods already. Or just use .mp3 to begin with instead of .aac/.m4a . That's why I don't like the iTunes music store (apart from the fact I can't really use it in Ubuntu). I prefer to buy CDs and rip them the old fashioned way.

Keith Hedger
November 20th, 2007, 08:45 PM
You dont need ******* or osx to update your ipod firmware just follow this guide:
http://www.vnunet.com/personal-computer-world/features/2166563/keep-music-playing
Also i agree use rockbox its getting very good now (and u can use the simulator to play music on your main machine)

Acglaphotis
November 20th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Yeah, because petitions always work

No, really, who wants Itunes? Amarok/Exaile are much better (except for the whole Itunes Store thing but i don't use it anyway : ))

Flying caveman
November 20th, 2007, 10:27 PM
I'd rather just not buy an iPod so I won't feel the need to spend even more money on all the crappy accessories that everybody sells.

ericesque
November 20th, 2007, 11:29 PM
I just synced music to my 5th gen iPod from Rhythmbox for the first time this morning. My iPod mounted faster, the transfer was simply drag n drop, the eject button was evident (which isn't the case in iTunes), and the unmount was faster.

Why do I need iTunes again? Oh right, so I can watch movies on a 2.5" screen--which I never do. OR buy music online--which I can do at Amazon.com.

For those who haven't noticed, Amazon now has an online music store that sells music for about the same price as iTunes music store. They're MP3s encoded at 256kbps. I would rather see Amazon support in Rhythmbox than ITMS support for linux.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/163856011/ref=topnav_storetab_dmusic/103-3395825-1129424

koleoptero
November 21st, 2007, 12:03 AM
I am perfectly happy with my lovely, buggy exaile. And I don't care for buying music online, I prefer buying the CD or DVD with its artwork and all.:guitar:

marco123
November 21st, 2007, 12:22 AM
They would never dare port it to Linux because of it's openness and their love of DRM. They ported it to Windows, another closed environment, but we are more intelligent than Windows users so they are scared to.:guitar:

h2gofast
November 22nd, 2007, 11:18 AM
I can understand the desire to make ubuntu usable for more users but porting itunes to linux is not the way to accomplish that. There are great alternatives to itunes that not only do a great job but also demonstrate how bad an idea itunes really is. Apple comes across as an innovator, for those who buy apple products to serve their idealistic aspirations, they need to go one step further and adopt linux now that ubuntu has made gnu/linux usable for people who aren't programmers and sysadmins.

gn2
November 22nd, 2007, 01:32 PM
Maybe I should start a petition asking Ubuntu users not to buy iPods...

I'll sign that one.

diskotek
November 24th, 2007, 07:11 PM
i have a strabge question for you....
are there any good music application like amarok/rhythmbox/listen/exaile in windows?

science4sail
November 24th, 2007, 07:31 PM
are there any good music application like amarok/rhythmbox/listen/exaile in windows?
foobar?
vlc?

gn2
November 24th, 2007, 07:45 PM

MusicMatch Jukebox ?

diskotek
November 24th, 2007, 08:01 PM
MusicMatch Jukebox ?
ok, i'll look at it..
by the way, i just would like to manage huge archive on my external harddrive...

sajro
November 24th, 2007, 09:44 PM
GPL iTunes please!

That would be so stupid. Besides, real open-sourcers use ogg and Rockbox.

However Apple should release an API to make Rockbox (and other 3rd party iPod firmware) easier to develop. So, say, Rockbox could use the Touch's screen easily. You could have Rockbox + Iceweasel/Dillo or some other browser for the full iPod Touch functionality + open codec support.

The iPod is a great audio player (loses some points as far as audiophile quality but fine for most people) and deserves to live but I won't buy one until I can get a touch with GPL open-source firmware.

screaminj3sus
November 24th, 2007, 09:49 PM

Winamp(Fast, Ipod Support, Feature Rich, burns cd's ect..)
Windows Media Player (OMG a Microsoft program!? Windows Media player is actually very nice, fast and has a good library and gui)

I hate iTunes with a passion though, I think linux is ebtter off without it. The windows version is a slow and buggy POS. It doesn't load half of my mp3's and it's the buggiest software I've ever used, and so damn slow. If the windows version is so bad I shudder when I think how bad their linux version would be.

MikeDK
December 3rd, 2007, 10:23 PM
I thought of the atune app from sourceforge.net, how about that anyone knows how it runs in ubuntu?

Kind Regards MikeDK

aysiu
December 3rd, 2007, 10:32 PM
I thought of the atune app from sourceforge.net, how about that anyone knows how it runs in ubuntu?

Kind Regards MikeDK
What atune app?

I did a search for it and found nothing. Is it spelled atune?

cong06
December 3rd, 2007, 11:24 PM
I'd rather just not buy an iPod so I won't feel the need to spend even more money on all the crappy accessories that everybody sells.

+1

I'm very happy with my generic brand mp3 player that doesn't need exclusively iTunes...
Is just as small as a mini...
has just as much space as I could ever want on an mp3 player..
and was very cheap (compared to the stuff that Apple sells)

I mean, common. you buy apple products if you're:
1) rich, want to blow off all your money
2) don't know any better.

I realize that wasn't quite fair since their computers are decent, but Apple does a pretty good job of brain washing it's consumers into thinking that it's products are perfect and the only ones worth buying.
(I didn't mean for this rant to last this long...sorry)

MikeDK
December 3rd, 2007, 11:32 PM
ill live :-P i understand that, but the gui of atunes is very nice thou.

maybe ill just wait and see for some support in gnome-apps for new gen. of ipods

kind Regards MikeDK

aysiu
December 4th, 2007, 12:07 AM
ill live :-P i understand that, but the gui of atunes is very nice thou. Can you post a link to this "atunes"? I can't find it.

p_quarles
December 4th, 2007, 12:37 AM
http://www.atunes.org/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/atunes/

aysiu
December 4th, 2007, 12:47 AM
http://www.atunes.org/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/atunes/
Thanks. Don't know why I couldn't find it.

p_quarles
December 4th, 2007, 12:49 AM
Thanks. Don't know why I couldn't find it.
Fwiw, I looked on Google first. If you looked on Sourceforge's site, it could be a problem with their search engine.

zipperback
December 5th, 2007, 08:43 PM
I read through most of the messages here about this subject.

For the most part people seem to NOT want iTunes ported to Linux.

And while I can agree with most of the actual reasons as to why people don't want it (bloated code, drm, etc), I think that "IF" they ported it to Linux and released it as a GPL version of iTunes, then I would be all for it.

It would be a benefit to the open source community if they did in fact release it as an open source application.

However, if it were to be released as a closed source application, I for one would never use it.

I don't really have a need for iTunes, because when I made the transition from Windows to Linux I did a lot of research and found acceptable open source replacements for things that I required to meet my needs.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

- Jack
- zipperback
:popcorn:

Lostincyberspace
December 5th, 2007, 09:00 PM
The only reason I would like it is it can play videos and music in the same thing.

mcduck
December 5th, 2007, 09:42 PM
I would actually want somebody to make a better music player for OS X :D

iTunes is just plain horrible.

Jonne
December 5th, 2007, 09:58 PM
I would actually want somebody to make a better music player for OS X :D
Don't worry, Amarok will come to OS X soonish...

Fredrik_b
December 7th, 2007, 01:39 PM
I can only asume that the people who dont want Itunes does not have an Ipod. As of now there is no program to manage IPODś fully in linux.

If you have an old ipod (no video) it might wok but you have to settle for ither:
Amorak = horrible GUI with no logic att all or
Banshee = missing browser = hard to look trough your music library.

If you have an ipod video you must also have an podcast subscription program that hadels video podcast like gpodder, but this is aswell buggy sins it does not downloads all rss feeds.

No the open source comunity has faild missrebly on this point. Only Apple (maby MS +Windows media palyer*/zune) has solved this.

*WMP has almost as bad GUI as amorak.

gtkpod did not work att all (to mutch things has to be done by the user)

Jonne
December 7th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Well, you shouldn't have bought an iPod then, right? There are enough mp3 players that just act like an external HD.

dashnak
December 7th, 2007, 03:21 PM
I have an iPod, and have never used iTunes. I just loathe it.

SuperMike
December 7th, 2007, 03:23 PM
I vote no. Use Rockbox or switch to a better MP3 player. Apple does too many bad things as a company that I really don't want to stand behind their products.

kazuya
December 7th, 2007, 03:27 PM
amarok is so much better for it. The issue may lie in the device being detected at all by OS. granted itunes in windows is designed and works fine wit the ipod. Amarok is similar when used often by users. It is more themeable, more functional for some folks and looks better when customized and even before. You can do so much with amarok.

itunes is fine, but getting amarok to the other OSes may be a better alternative. For the sake of those seeking it, I would say if code is open and possible then go for it. But, the demand is limited right now. It is like me saying have MS office for linux. Well, we have Open office, etc.

kazuya
December 7th, 2007, 03:30 PM
I would vote yes for the sake of the few who desire it. Everyone has a right to ask for stuff. If the other side is willing to share, why say no. However, the fear is that users may get too hooked on the commercial side and then when they start trying to coerce users to use their app, they are too hooked or dependent to say NO.
I would vote yes to apple, but I could care less. Amarok is for me.

eljoeb
December 7th, 2007, 03:37 PM
I'm not sure you will ever see it. As stated before, itunes is Apple's tool to woo Windows users to the dark side (if ya will). I've read somewhere that Apple losess money on itunes sales, but makes up for this by selling the hardware (which is interesting, as this is usually opposite in these circumstances). Making it more widespread would then make some headaches for them. I would, however, like some of the selection iTunes has. Amazon's nice service eMusic doesn't really compare (in terms of selection, I like their methods better), and illegal dl'ing is a no go for me.

So while it would (gasp!) give people more choice on Linux, Apple doesn't have a big reason to pursue it.

aysiu
December 7th, 2007, 04:31 PM
I don't see why we're arguing about whether we want Apple to port iTunes or not.

Apple is not going to do it for reasons that this thread should make clear to all: Either most or a vocal minority of Linux users actively do not want iTunes ported Many Linux users buy iPods anyway without iTunes being ported Linux is a competitor mainly to Mac (as another alternative to Windows) so acknowledging the existence of that competitor is contrary to Apple's goals It costs extra development money with very little return Can you someone please explain, whether people in the community want it or not, any business-sense logical reason why Apple would port iTunes to Linux?

toupeiro
December 7th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Can you someone please explain, whether people in the community want it or not, any business-sense logical reason why Apple would port iTunes to Linux?

Capitalism. and the fact that when they port it to linux, they accomplish porting it to several oses, a rapidly growing userbase, and give it the ability to run on box-top devices such as media centers, which statistically, if you exclude the x-box 360, the majority of them are linux based.

I hate, hate, hate iTunes with a passion, but I would petition its porting for one reason. Linux exposure. I don't think that by porting iTunes, I will ever be forced to use it because of all the great alternatives Open Source Software has, but there may be those out there who use iTunes regularly and have a significant investment put into iTunes which they don't want to use anything else. If iTunes was the only thing keeping them from switching to linux, I hope it gets done for them.

aysiu
December 7th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Capitalism. and the fact that when they port it to linux, they accomplish porting it to several oses, a rapidly growing userbase, and give it the ability to run on box-top devices such as media centers, which statistically, if you exclude the x-box 360, the majority of them are linux based. As you can see from the poll below, the largest minority of Ubuntu users own iPods, so Apple doesn't need to port iTunes to Ubuntu to sell its hardware. The point of iTunes isn't iTunes. The point of iTunes is the iPod. If iPods are selling and Linux users are happy with Rockbox and AmaroK, then Apple has no financial incentive to port iTunes.
What kind of portable audio player do you have? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=622922)

If you were an Apple executive reading this thread, would you get the impression that porting iTunes to Linux is worth it? Either most are an extremely vocal minority of Linux users appear to not want iTunes ported.

Fredrik_b
December 8th, 2007, 12:38 AM
The open softwere side has the problem that there is no alternative that come even close to Itunes even if you remove Ipod from the equation.

What you need for anny modern music handeler/palyer is:

intuitive GUI
Podcast handler
Video podcast handler
sync to portable player

I have looked I cant find a way do this even with 2 separate programs as well as with Itunes.

sufined
December 8th, 2007, 08:29 AM
i need it for my ipod touch

Lord Illidan
December 8th, 2007, 10:29 AM
The only reason I would ever need iTunes on Linux is to support the newer players which don't work otherwise, like the Iphone/Ipod Touch, etc. It's the only thing holding me from getting an Ipod Touch, as I don't want the hassle of jailbreaking it, just to get it to work on Linux...and I don't have any windows/mac pcs here.

Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy with Amarok as an audio player. Itunes may have more GUI pizazz..that's all.

However, I am not against Itunes being ported to Linux, since if some people want it, why not? It will increase the competition among linux audio players, and in the end, we'll benefit from it.

vinodis
December 10th, 2007, 03:46 PM
My vote too goes for iTunes on Linux.

Rhubarb
December 10th, 2007, 04:00 PM
No votes from me.
IMHO if you buy an ipod, you should also buy a mac.
If you buy DRM supporting hardware, then you should buy an OS that supports DRM as is supported buy apple.

Sunnz
December 10th, 2007, 04:05 PM
No votes from me.
If you buy DRM supporting hardware, then you should buy an OS that supports DRM as is supported buy apple.
So what is an opensource media player that has good build quality, and software support for common codecs, supports RSS podcast, has an online store built-in, all for a reasonable price?

Rhubarb
December 10th, 2007, 04:12 PM
So what is an opensource media player that has good build quality, and software support for common codecs, supports RSS podcast, has an online store built-in, all for a reasonable price?

Have a look at Rhythmbox for starters, it can play many many codecs (if you install all the gstreamer add-ins from synaptic), you can download podcasts, it has a magnatune online store built in (the magnatune plugin), you can even dowload free creative commons music from the Jamendo plugin for free, Rhythmbox is free, and it comes installed on ubuntu by default.
I'm sure Amarok would have similar abilities too.

DeadSuperHero
December 11th, 2007, 07:44 AM
I think he meant a physical player device, similar to an iPod.
Well, the only ones that I can think of:
-OpenMoko
-Android
-Wimzy (I think that was how it was spelled)

There needs to be more though...hmmm...

Sunnz
December 11th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Actually I meant both hardware and software... that's pretty much the iTunes experience, one of the thing I really like is that you can download university lectures in iTunes U for free, sync it on your iPod, and play it whenever you feel like to learn something!!!

chips24
December 11th, 2007, 07:54 AM
ubuntu rocks:)

GrahamOtte
December 11th, 2007, 07:58 AM
i jsut need it 4 my iphone

jken146
December 11th, 2007, 08:22 PM
No no no!! If Apple at some point decide to make an iTunes for Linux, that's up to them, but I for one do not support any such DRM applications. DRM goes completely against the principles and the spirit of free software. And why would you want to buy music from Apple anyway?

markp1989
December 11th, 2007, 08:26 PM
No votes from me.

thats the biggest load of **** i have ever heard, i like iPods, and use mine all the time but thats doesnt mean i should buy a mac, i don't like macs all that much.

DeadSuperHero
December 12th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Hmmm, question:
How hard would it be to write a plugin to access the iTunes music store from an Open Source music player, let's say...Amarok or something like that?
I know that there actually is a Linux app out there that can download iTunes music, and it accidentally strips the DRM right off. I'm thinking...maybe get in contact with those guys? If we want iTunes on Linux, why not just turn that into a plugin? Makes it easier for everyone.

narehart
December 12th, 2007, 06:17 AM
Hmmm, question:
How hard would it be to write a plugin to access the iTunes music store from an Open Source music player, let's say...Amarok or something like that?
I know that there actually is a Linux app out there that can download iTunes music, and it accidentally strips the DRM right off. I'm thinking...maybe get in contact with those guys? If we want iTunes on Linux, why not just turn that into a plugin? Makes it easier for everyone.

I'd like to see something like that in Amarok 2 and maybe a plugin for Amazon as well.

hanzomon4
December 12th, 2007, 06:25 AM
thats the biggest load of **** i have ever heard, i like iPods, and use mine all the time but thats doesnt mean i should buy a mac, i don't like macs all that much.

Me too but it would be easier to use with a Mac :(

p_quarles
December 12th, 2007, 06:27 AM
Hmmm, question:
That was done several years ago. A python script called PyMusique would allow you to browse and purchase from ITMS. It also exposed the fact that the Apple's DRM was placed on the song file by the iTunes client.

After that, Apple reconfigured ITMS to ensure that only authenticated iTunes clients could use the service. In short, no: it's not possible to write a plugin for a third-party media player. It would involve cracking iTunes' authentication procedures (illegal in many countries) and it would lead Apple to immediately beef up their security, making the plugin useless.

DeadSuperHero
December 12th, 2007, 11:02 PM
They were fairly competant at keeping up with Apple's updates, though.
It's be great to at least hammer out a deal with Apple to allow iTunes music store to be accessed from Amarok. That way iPod lovers would be able to use Linux happily, without crappy emulation. It'd be ANOTHER reason to switch from their main competitor Windows, and they'd still be making money from iTunes at least. And yes, I know that we all hate DRM, but to the average iTunes user, it doesn't matter all that much, as long as they can get music from iTunes onto their iPods.

Rhubarb
December 13th, 2007, 07:44 AM
There's a big problem with your idea Mr. Psychopath, if Amarok and apple cooperated so Amarok could download iTunes music and upload it to an ipod, then anyone could easily break all the DRM and iTunes lock-in that apple has created.

If you can easily upload any music to an ipod, then other online music companies could get their music working with ipods, and other hardware music players manufacturers could get their hardware working with itunes music store.

This is precisely what apple does not want happening. They make money by locking people into itunes, and partially buy locking them into the itunes music store.
It would not be in apple's interest to do this.

DeadSuperHero
December 13th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Rhubarb, unfortunately it seems you are right. But there has to be some solution. If I have to really use iTunes on Linux just to put songs on my iPod, so be it. Unfortunately, this erases the point for most people to use Open media players like Banshee or Amarok. It's really unfortunate.

bartos
December 13th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Even on windows I didn't use Itunes and my Hipo does all I need for Ipod management

metalmaniac248
March 7th, 2009, 07:07 PM
just in case you anyone has missed this theres a petition here to get itunes ported to linux,

http://www.petitiononline.com/itmslin/petition.html

calrogman
March 8th, 2009, 06:51 PM
It's not gonna happen, even if it did it would be frowned upon by the Linux community in general for being closed-source.

Rocket2DMn
March 8th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Moved to the Cafe.

Chibone
March 8th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I for one would be happy if they did it.

I'll be happy to sign because if it's done, that's another step toward getting rid of my Windows partition. That and Netflix support of Linux would do it for me.

dragos240
March 8th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Honestly i wouldn't care, but i signed it anyways, i use gtktunes, and threw away my ipod a while ago and got a fuze.

Grant A.
March 8th, 2009, 07:23 PM
This is not the way to get this done. If you really want iTunes in Linux, then you need to get together all the people who do want it and get them to all contact Apple via E-Mail or phone saying that if they do not port iTunes to Linux, then they will stop buying iPods, start buying music from Amazon, and start buying Sansa Fuzes. If enough people do this, then a significant amount of revenue will be lost from sales and they will have to make a Linux port to save their business. It's simple economics.

Trust me, E-Mail or phone calls stating a boycott hold a lot more weight with a company than just some online petition where some guy can sign the same petition 500 times.

Hey, it worked with DRM, why can't it work with Linux?

aysiu
March 8th, 2009, 07:26 PM
This is not the way to get this done. If you really want iTunes in Linux you need to get together all the people who do want it and get them to all contact Apple via E-Mail or phone saying that if they do not port iTunes to Linux, then they will stop buying iPods, and start buying music from Amazon and start buying Sansa Fuzes. If enough people do this, then a significant amount of revenue will be lost from sales and they will have to make a Linux port to save their business. It's simple economics. Finally some reason.

calrogman
March 8th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Just get a Cowon S9.

Bart_D
March 8th, 2009, 07:29 PM
....iTunes in Linux, then you need to get together all the people who do want it and get them to all contact Apple via E-Mail or phone saying that if they do not port iTunes to Linux, then they will stop buying iPods, start buying music from Amazon, and start buying Sansa Fuzes. If enough people do this, then a significant amount of revenue will be lost from sales and they will have to make a Linux port to save their business. It's simple economics.

Trust me, E-Mail or phone calls stating a boycott hold a lot more weight with a company than just some online petition where some guy can sign the same petition 500 times.

Hey, it worked with DRM, why can't it work with Linux?

Will the number of Linux i-Pod users(emphasis on Linux) really make that much of a difference to Apple?

aysiu
March 8th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Just get a Cowon S9.
Oh, don't even get me started on Cowon. (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/goodbye-cowon-hello-again-sandisk/)

aysiu
March 8th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Will the number of Linux i-Pod users(emphasis on Linux) really make that much of a difference to Apple?
But that's the whole point.

If you can show that there are enough Linux users willing to buy iPods if Apple is willing to port iTunes to Linux and enough Linux users willing to boycott iPods if Apple continues not to, then Apple will port it.

I don't know if we can get those numbers, though. It seems to me the vast majority of Linux users would prefer either to use an iPod with Amarok or Rhythmbox, or not use an iPod at all.

Grant A.
March 8th, 2009, 07:32 PM

There are a lot of F/OSS projects to try and get iPods working on Linux, and they have a very large userbase.

Skripka
March 8th, 2009, 07:37 PM
There are a lot of F/OSS projects to try and get iPods working on Linux, and they have a very large userbase.

At last count when I was on Ubuntu I recall seeing 5 or 6 listed in Synaptic alone.

icp
March 8th, 2009, 07:45 PM

Quote!!!

wolfen69
March 8th, 2009, 07:49 PM
10 million people could sign the petition, and it won't make a difference. apple hates linux with a passion.

MikeTheC
March 8th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Knowing Apple, it's a combination of factors. Apple's going after Microsoft's user base is a no-brainer from the standpoint of market share size. The greatest possible number of computer users they could go after were (still are, obviously) Windows users. While I'm certain they planed it right along, they allowed demand to become pent up for quite a while. If you'll recall, there was no iTunes for Windows for some period of time (I may be wrong, but believe it to be about 18 months or so), yet Windows users constituted the bulk of iPod purchases. Apple got in the game by bundling 3rd party software for Windows users so they could make use of it without having to cobble together their own hacked solutions.

Secondly, Apple's continued pursuit of Windows users has directly to do with the so-called "iPod Halo effect", wherein by exposing Windows users to Apple's hardware and software offerings, they have a foot-in-the-door for future product purchases, especially Macintosh sales. This, in turn, drives Mac OS X platform market share numbers, and helps them to increase their ubiquity on "the desktop".

Thirdly, Apple no doubt truly believes (and generally I think most computer users would agree) Mac OS X has proven itself to be an arguably more stable and more secure OS than Windows, so they know they have a real shot at platform and brand conversion. Based on the numbers, this would seem to be an accurate appraisal of the situation. Where this is of concern (to use an expression) for Linux users is that Apple knows it doesn't offer a day-and-night-better/more secure/etc. OS than Linux (if anything, they're essentially dead-equal), and Linux users typically are people less interested in user interface refinements anyhow. Trying to attract a user base which, by definition, is less troubled by how a device looks or operates (because of being able to, in essence, brute-force compensate with technological savvy) makes it harder for Apple to leverage one of their core competencies.

Fourthly, going back to user share, Linux desktop user share, sadly, is nothing when compared to Windows users. Moreover, take a look at the comments in this thread alone, to say nothing of across the rest of UbuntuForums and other Linux-oriented message boards. Why should Apple want to sell to a user base which has a significant number of users who are not only ready, willing and able to, but in fact already have told Apple where they can stick their products and where Apple itself can go?

Were I in Steve's position, I don't think I'd prioritize selling to Linux users, either.

metalmaniac248
March 8th, 2009, 11:16 PM
you know people allways say that itunes is crap and its pooryl coded and so on, and there probably right, but iv had a go with a fair few of the linux based solutions for managing and ipod and they are awful i havnt find one that did the job properly, to be fair tho im sure this isnt the linux comunity's fault more likely apples for the way they make there ipods

mamamia88
March 8th, 2009, 11:22 PM
don't have an ipod don't want one rather use a regular old mp3 player. itunes is crap imo rather use amazon for music and rythmbox for podcasts and music.

BGFG
March 9th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Bunch of FOSS users petitioning the MECCA of closed source locked down software. For software for a device that embodies anti-FOSS.

sensible.

XxsydenxX
September 1st, 2009, 09:53 AM

I know this was posted a hell of a long time ago but....

iTunes is horribly coded app? So I assume you've seen its source yeah???

HEH and i was under the impression it was closed source.

Exodist
September 1st, 2009, 09:57 AM
i freaking hate iTunes..

Its crap software

hanzomon4
September 1st, 2009, 09:57 AM

:lolflag:

It's actually quite nice... *runs away*

*forever*

toupeiro
September 1st, 2009, 10:01 AM

Closed source means you can't legally acquire, compile, or modify said source without license or explicit permission to do so. It doesn't mean the source code is magically invisible unless you have an apple decoder ring and know the secret handshake...

and.. I know the source must be crap because the compiled version is definitely crap. Unfortunately, if you own an iPod, its a necessary evil for most people. Not for me, but for most.

amitabhishek
September 1st, 2009, 10:03 AM
Even after two years this thread sounds so contemporary!

ReddogOne
September 1st, 2009, 10:51 AM
i freaking hate iTunes..

Its crap software

As much as you may hate it and have the opinion it is crap software, it is probably the leading music player and tool for purchasing media and as such would be a great addition to any platform.

The obvious second choice to me (Amazon) is also no good as you can't use the download thingy unless you are on Windows or Mac.

Even though I use Rhythmbox to play music and all that I still fire up iTunes in VirtualBox to purchase music.

wildman4god
September 1st, 2009, 01:51 PM
As much as you may hate it and have the opinion it is crap software, it is probably the leading music player and tool for purchasing media and as such would be a great addition to any platform.

The obvious second choice to me (Amazon) is also no good as you can't use the download thingy unless you are on Windows or Mac.

Even though I use Rhythmbox to play music and all that I still fire up iTunes in VirtualBox to purchase music.

amazon has a linux version of it's mp3 album downloader, it's the video player of theirs you need to download video and the reason they don't have it for linux is the same reason itunes isn't coming to linux, DRM, while the music industry has reliezed that DRM is a bad Idea and even itunes is getting rid of it, videos still have drm and linux has no drm system, meaning you couldn't play their videos anyway. and some of itunes music still has drm.

RiceMonster
September 1st, 2009, 02:21 PM

Why did you bump this thread then?

What a horrible thread to bring back to life.

Paqman
September 1st, 2009, 02:40 PM
amazon has a linux version of it's mp3 album downloader

32-bit only though, which makes me wonder how clued up they are about Linux in general.

jeyaganesh
September 1st, 2009, 03:01 PM
My petition is 2830th.:)

winjeel
September 1st, 2009, 03:06 PM
Not gonna happen. Apple wants people to buy their products. I don't think there is any chance they would release Itunes and the needed codecs for Linux or *BSD. They make an exception for Windows users cause; a. it's the most used OS b. to get people to switch to Apple.

I think Apple was sued or threatened with serious charges because their first release of iPods and iTunes was not compatible with Windows, and many Windows users were pretty peeved about their new purchase. They needed to protect their image as being good to customers, and I guess they discovered a whole other market for their iPods... windows users!

ReddogOne
September 2nd, 2009, 09:00 PM
amazon has a linux version of it's mp3 album downloader...

Yeah I noticed after I posted this... doh! I think I can get away with not being an idiot in that I first looked using a windows machine at work and it said Windows or Mac!

Downloaded it and it plays with last.fm quite well which makes me a happy bunny for now :)

Matthewthegreat
September 2nd, 2009, 10:08 PM
I don't like itunes but I wish it was ported to ubuntu. If itunes was on ubuntu that would attract more users, with more users more software would be ported to ubuntu and that would make me happy!

...but Itunes is never coming to ubuntu.

t0p
September 2nd, 2009, 11:20 PM
I realise that a lot of people like ipods. But I'm quite happy playing music through my sony ericsson cellphone when I'm out and about - it has an mp3 player, an fm radio, plus I've installed a couple of digital radio apps. The quality of sound through the supplied earphones is good - sony is well-versed in the manufacture of personal stereos. And when I'm at home, i've got some nice speakers for my computer. So I don't need an ipod docking station or whatever, I've got rhythmbox.

As for using itunes to buy music: there are plenty of other options. Plus I can always fire up a bittorrent app and steal some tracks! :evil:

amazon has a linux version of it's mp3 album downloader, it's the video player of theirs you need to download video and the reason they don't have it for linux is the same reason itunes isn't coming to linux, DRM, while the music industry has reliezed that DRM is a bad Idea and even itunes is getting rid of it, videos still have drm and linux has no drm system, meaning you couldn't play their videos anyway. and some of itunes music still has drm.

Who says linux can't do drm? I've got the bbc iplayer desktop app for linux, and the videos you download with it are definitely infected with drm. I don't know if it's the iplayer desktop app itself or the adobe air thing it uses... but the result is drm that kills videos 7 days after their release. If the bbc can do it, so can amazon. And apple.

Don't get me wrong: I don't want drm in linux. I hate drm! But it's there.

XxsydenxX
September 6th, 2009, 12:53 PM
I'd like to say, that I have no problems with iTunes, however i am a linux user obviously. And...Itunes with Wine just doesn't cut it.

If someone could find something for linux which would work with my iPod touch 2g, i would be rather thankful.

speedwell68
September 6th, 2009, 01:22 PM
I'd like to say, that I have no problems with iTunes, however i am a linux user obviously. And...Itunes with Wine just doesn't cut it.

If someone could find something for linux which would work with my iPod touch 2g, i would be rather thankful.

For an iPod Touch or an iPhone I would say that the best workable solution would be to use iTunes in Windows under VirtualBox. It was what I had to do to use my Sony Minidisc, as there is no native solution for that in Linux either. You could always dual boot from a small Windows partition instead. If you do use VirtualBox get the closed source version from Sun's website as the OpenSource version doesn't support USB devices in the guest OS.

RabbitWho
September 6th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Number of computers with Ubuntu = number of potential Ipod customers.

They already know about the demand, they're intentionally not making it available, I don't beleive a petition will make a difference, I've always hated Ipods, even when I liked apple, and i hate Itunes, but I'll sign the petition anyway, because everyone should be able to use whatever they want on whatever they want.

Fzang
September 6th, 2009, 02:35 PM
/Sign

iPod Touch and iPhone cannot be used with any other apps than iTunes AFAIK.

purgatori
September 6th, 2009, 03:47 PM
If someone makes a petition to encourage Apple NOT to bring iTunes to Ubuntu. -- or any other Linux flavor -- , I would gladly sign it. :)

Fzang
September 6th, 2009, 03:58 PM
If someone makes a petition to encourage Apple NOT to bring iTunes to Ubuntu. -- or any other Linux flavor -- , I would gladly sign it. :)

Why do we need fight other OSs? Isn't cross compatibility better than a fanboy raging over a bad port?

aysiu
September 6th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Believe it or not, if iTunes gets ported to Linux (which it won't), you won't have to use it.

purgatori
September 6th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Why do we need fight other OSs? Isn't cross compatibility better than a fanboy raging over a bad port?

Where did I say anything about fighting other OSes? That doesn't concern me at all. I just have a profound hatred of all things Apple, and would prefer it if they kept their crapware to their own OS, and Windows.