PDA

View Full Version : Best Linux magazine?

galvatron1983
May 3rd, 2007, 08:48 PM
There are lots in the UK but theyre very expensive, I think Linux Format is £6.50!! I can imagine that they arent very good either, DVD included or not.

Im intrigued by Linux Journal as it seems to be informative and good value for money.

Is there a particular Linux mag thats the one to buy?

lyceum
May 3rd, 2007, 08:58 PM
I get Linux Format every month. In the US it is $16.99, but I think it is worth every penny. I have picked up a good number of diiferent Linux mags, and LXF is the best by far. I also thing that Linux Pro is really good. It is a US mag, $10.99 here. It is not as fun as LXF though.

super breadfish
May 3rd, 2007, 08:58 PM
I often get Linux Format or Linux Magazine depedning on what articles they have. The DVD in Linux Format is quite good, they usually include a distro and a load of software, often with a review in the magazine. The DVD this month had Elive and a selection of non Linux operatign systems. Sure, you could download them all for free, but it's convient especially when you have a flakey connection like me.

Linux Magazine is good, they have a more in depth features and seems a bit more profesionall. They had a good feature about Vista and Linux recently, with comparisons and networkign tips.

The only problem I have is very few local newsagents stock them! And when they do some little git has often picnhed the DVDs...always check, especially with Linux Magazne, as their DVD tends to fall off. The best tip really is to try before you buy, read a bit in the shop!

galvatron1983
May 3rd, 2007, 09:03 PM
Linux Format and Linux Magazine have always stood out to me. LXF because the editor used to work on Amiga Format, and what legendary mag that was!

Linux Magazine seems to be a lot less technical tho, which I like, am I right or did I just miss the hard core Linux coder pages???

frankabel
March 24th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Hi all,

Lets *suppose* that I'm an experimented admin-programmers that want be informed about the FOSS world in general(economic, law, tech, etc.).

What's the best magazine for that? Linux Journal? Linux Magazine? LWN? Linux Format?

The only restriction is that I just can subscribe to one journal and don't have time to read more than one too of course ;)

Cheers
Frank Abel

beetleman64
March 24th, 2010, 10:17 PM
I buy Linux Format. Although it is a little pricey (although Ubuntu User asks £8.99) it is well written and very informative.

NightwishFan
March 24th, 2010, 10:34 PM
I read Full Circle. I probably will buy the magazine I saw in Giant Eagle. (Linux Format?)

http://fullcirclemagazine.org/

samalex
March 24th, 2010, 10:57 PM
It's been a while since I bought a Linux mag, but from walking through my local book stores I have to say Linux Format is always impressive. I just can't see paying that much for a magazine, so I normally thumb through the articles and move on.

YEARS ago I subscribed to both Linux Magazine and Linux Journal, but I dropped them when they started getting really thin with an ever higher price. I still thumb through them as well when I'm at the bookstore, but anymore there's not much in any of the mags you can't find online.

Sam

frankabel
March 24th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Thanks a lot for you reply but ones can read form the about "Full Circle is a free, independent, magazine dedicated to the Ubuntu family of Linux operating systems" and what I need is something more distro agnostic, like LWN, etc.

Cheers
Frank Abel

uberlube
March 24th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Ive been buying lots of Linux mags for the past few years (some at import prices) and hands down, LinuxFormat it he best imo. Not only do u get a distro CD with every issue, the depth and quality of info is unsurpassed.

NightwishFan
March 24th, 2010, 11:41 PM
I agree, I like to hear about the free software community in general. I was just sharing the link.

Khakilang
March 25th, 2010, 04:45 AM
Currently I read Linux Format magazine. Its very informative for newbie like me not too technical and I can try all the Distro and software on the CD. I even subscribe to their forum.

Sometime I also read Linux For You magazine which is from India. It is cheap and come with CD but a bit technical for me.

witeshark17
March 25th, 2010, 05:18 AM
I think it varies with whichever has the most interesting headlines that month/week etc.

bpalone
March 25th, 2010, 05:26 AM
My vote would be for Linux Journal. They seem to keep a decent blend of tech levels. I've picked up several good tips out of it. In fact here in a few days I'm renewing my subscription.

ubun2warrior
April 7th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Hello I am new to linux. Can I get the pdf version of the above mentioned magazines online. Or any online supplements on linux. It would be of great help.

bvt
December 4th, 2011, 12:35 AM
Revive this thread a bit...

Now that Linux Journal is digital only, which magazine do you think is best? I was at the bookstore last night and all the Linux magazines on the shelf have DVDs; bring the cost to 3 times the normal magazine price. For me, I'm just trying to find things online, and pay more attention to the forums, and looking for RSS feeds.