PDA

View Full Version : What if Dell just BOUGHT System76?

user1397
May 3rd, 2007, 04:58 AM
Wouldn't this kinda make sense? What if dell bought system76 as its way of selling ubuntu pre-installed computers?

I mean, they would not have to worry about all the costs of testing hardware/compatability, and system76 already has a neat little website and support established, although of course dell would expand on it.

Maybe on the front page of www.dell4me.com (http://www.dell4me.com), there could be a link to "Computers With Pre-Installed Linux Here" which would take them to the syetm76 website, that would be owned by dell.

As far as the amount of control dell would still give the syetm76 guys is up to any body's guess.

I am not personally advocating this or anything, I am just asking whether this would be a sound economic venture for dell, instead of designing their own kind for the first time ever (and by "kind" I mean their first open-source, linux pre-loaded, directed-for-the-desktop-PC-market...computer)

maniacmusician
May 3rd, 2007, 06:28 AM
Wouldn't this kinda make sense? What if dell bought system76 as its way of selling ubuntu pre-installed computers?

I mean, they would not have to worry about all the costs of testing hardware/compatability, and system76 already has a neat little website and support established, although of course dell would expand on it.

Maybe on the front page of www.dell4me.com (http://www.dell4me.com), there could be a link to "Computers With Pre-Installed Linux Here" which would take them to the syetm76 website, that would be owned by dell.

As far as the amount of control dell would still give the syetm76 guys is up to any body's guess.

I am not personally advocating this or anything, I am just asking whether this would be a sound economic venture for dell, instead of designing their own kind for the first time ever (and by "kind" I mean their first open-source, linux pre-loaded, directed-for-the-desktop-PC-market...computer)
I've suggested this in the past, and I think it would be a good move by Dell. In the long run, it would be more cost-effective, and would help keep System76 alive as well. However, it would require more of an initial investment in the project.

The ideal situation for the buy out would be that Dell simply take System76 under its wing and provides financial backing, letting System76 still do their stuff, in return for putting the dell branding on the computers. This would enable System76 to take more risks and have more hardware options, and let them sell to the consumer at a lower price than they currently do.

~LoKe
May 3rd, 2007, 06:32 AM
Kinda like how they bought Alienware to start selling AMD's?

fuscia
May 3rd, 2007, 07:09 AM
why wouldn't dell just install ubuntu on some of their dells?

Tiede
May 3rd, 2007, 07:14 AM
Well, because of hardware compatibility issues, I think. Dell doesn't want to fall in driver hell for his hardware ;)
(Think SiS multimedia graphics card; winmodems; broadcom air force one wireless cards, the list goes on an on...)

~LoKe
May 3rd, 2007, 07:16 AM
Dell will ship computers with Ubuntu, and I think it'll bring a new level of performance to our world. We know that when they put something into motion, they do their best to get it done right. I'm positive they will (and probably have been) test it thoroughly and make sure that it's solid.

Tiede
May 3rd, 2007, 07:34 AM
I now they will be rock solid. I was just trying to answer fuscia. If they have System76, they have a compatibility list already, so the task is lesser than building one themselves out of scratch (since they've only been caring whether or not a card can run Windows before...)

fuscia
May 3rd, 2007, 07:55 AM
Well, because of hardware compatibility issues, I think. Dell doesn't want to fall in driver hell for his hardware ;)
(Think SiS multimedia graphics card; winmodems; broadcom air force one wireless cards, the list goes on an on...)

i don't know anything about hardware, but i didn't see anything listed on the middle model e1705 (
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPx327SbBQ0) that wouldn't work. probably a naive view as i have no idea about hardware that isn't listed there.

maniacmusician
May 3rd, 2007, 08:16 AM
i don't know anything about hardware, but i didn't see anything listed on the middle model e1705 (
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPx327SbBQ0) that wouldn't work. probably a naive view as i have no idea about hardware that isn't listed there.
more than hardware is the appeal of existing at more of a community level. Dell is a corporation, and while they hear users' opinions when voiced in larger numbers, they don't have much of a community thing happening. System76 has the advantage of being very close to the community, and they already know more about filling the linux niche than Dell does.

fuscia
May 3rd, 2007, 09:06 AM
more than hardware is the appeal of existing at more of a community level. Dell is a corporation, and while they hear users' opinions when voiced in larger numbers, they don't have much of a community thing happening. System76 has the advantage of being very close to the community, and they already know more about filling the linux niche than Dell does.

if this move is purely a business move on dell's part, i can't see them caring very much about 'community'. they'll either buy system76, strip it and dump it, or they'll just try to undersell it out of business. (how's that for negative?)

user1397
May 3rd, 2007, 09:04 PM
if this move is purely a business move on dell's part, i can't see them caring very much about 'community'. they'll either buy system76, strip it and dump it, or they'll just try to undersell it out of business. (how's that for negative?)not negative, but realist I think.

maybe dell SHOULD wipe out system76, because that is basically their largest and fiercest competition in their new desktop linux market.

Oh and, don't take this personally, I am just stating what I think would be dell's best bet in their new market.

bcmiller
May 3rd, 2007, 09:39 PM
not negative, but realist I think.

maybe dell SHOULD wipe out system76, because that is basically their largest and fiercest competition in their new desktop linux market.

Oh and, don't take this personally, I am just stating what I think would be dell's best bet in their new market.

I don't think that System76 is a consideration for Dell. The people who said they wanted Dell to install Ubuntu already passed on System76. I understand the feeling people may have that System76 be rewarded for being first but there is no practical reason for System76, Dell or the users to want this to happen.

All ships rise in the tide. If the user base expands then System76 will benefit.

Dell isn't going to bring sand to the beach. They make computers and they have been working with Canonical for months there is no value added for Dell to grab System76.

Finally, If Dell simply outsourced their Ubuntu initiative to System76 the users would not be best served. We need Dell to get the chip makers in line and fix their Lexmark printers to work with Ubuntu and ATI etc... If they simply use the System76 hardware we only gain a little advertising and not the true potential of this move.

bobbybobington
May 3rd, 2007, 09:41 PM
not negative, but realist I think.

I don't think there only can be one ubuntu supplier. I think however system76 may need to adjust, and play up their advantages. As the market grows, system76 be the more niche product, (like voodoo etc.. in windows world) that will have better support and/or better looking machines for a premium. One supplier can't meet everyones needs, and given dells size (and price advantage) they shouldn't have to worry about system76.

tehkain
May 3rd, 2007, 10:03 PM
Dell uses their own chassis and hardware(custom boards). 76 uses prebuilt asus(I think) chassis and they add the cpu and ram as you order. I don't know how these models would work together.. if they purchased 76 they would just uses them for a name and support. The hardware would become delli-fied. I personally think the 76 chassis are far more durable then the dell chassis so I am not sure about this.