PDA

View Full Version : A little inside info on Canonical/Dell deal

m.musashi
May 3rd, 2007, 03:05 AM
I've seen a fair amount of speculation lately about what the Dell deal means. Certainly, speculation is just about all we have right now until Ubuntu on Dell starts shipping and people start buying.

However, here, in a nutshell, is what the Canonical brass said recently (sorry, no links as it was an internal meeting). Basically, they don't feel desktop Linux is going to be a profit or loss for them - just a wash. The real impact will be in how hardware makers approach chips and drivers. They will realize that the open source model will save them big time. They will make minor changes in chips and drivers and then push it upstream to the community where it will be maintained for them. Once this happens, Linux adoption becomes a simple thing. Companies like HP, IBM and others will easily be able to offer Linux options because hardware will be available that just plain works.

jfinkels
May 3rd, 2007, 03:11 AM
I've seen a fair amount of speculation lately about what the Dell deal means. Certainly, speculation is just about all we have right now until Ubuntu on Dell starts shipping and people start buying.

However, here, in a nutshell, is what the Canonical brass said recently (sorry, no links as it was an internal meeting). Basically, they don't feel desktop Linux is going to be a profit or loss for them - just a wash. The real impact will be in how hardware makers approach chips and drivers. They will realize that the open source model will save them big time. They will make minor changes in chips and drivers and then push it upstream to the community where it will be maintained for them. Once this happens, Linux adoption becomes a simple thing. Companies like HP, IBM and others will easily be able to offer Linux options because hardware will be available that just plain works.

This is the way the universe should be. Every person (and every hardware device) working together for ultimate productivity and enjoyment :D

Thanks for the info! I'm really excited to see Dell pick up Ubuntu. Hope they start selling soon (not that I would buy a Dell computer...they have the worst customer service on the planet!).

m.musashi
May 3rd, 2007, 03:33 AM
Yeah, it's a bit of a catch 22 - you want to help Ubuntu grow but Dell hasn't been too impressive lately. Although I would add Linksys, Comcast and host of others to the "horrible customer services list" as well.

To be fair, I've been using a lot of Dells lately through work (mostly business model laptops) and they have been reliable and I have nothing but success loading Ubuntu.

frup
May 3rd, 2007, 03:44 AM
I had been wondering if Canonical paid Dell lol. :s

m.musashi
May 3rd, 2007, 03:53 AM
Well, I don't have that info but I kind of doubt it. Michael Dell seems interested in Linux and I think interested in decreasing the amount of power MS has over them. I find it interesting that the Dell recommends MS tags are greatly reduced of late and there is a prominant "looking for XP" link. Vista is a sinking ship and people want off.

frup
May 3rd, 2007, 04:05 AM
Unfortunately Dell.co.nz isn't up with the times. lol.

I just really hope this can become a norm. A heavy advertising campaign is needed by Canonical. It's a big risk of course.

I'm most interested how the chip makers respond to this too. That is what is important to everyone. I would also suspect Mr Steve Blamer is blaming and throwing chairs instead of fixing problems. If this goes strong for a year or two, the next version of windows could look very interesting (Think IE7).

m.musashi
May 3rd, 2007, 07:02 AM
I'm most interested how the chip makers respond to this too. That is what is important to everyone.
As I understood it, they pretty much saw this as the whole enchilada.

I would also suspect Mr Steve Blamer is blaming and throwing chairs instead of fixing problems. If this goes strong for a year or two, the next version of windows could look very interesting (Think IE7).
I'd really like to know what MS is thinking about all this or are they thinking it's a flash in the pan? Maybe they will say outwardly that they are not worried as they quietly start selling off stock.

DoctorMO
May 3rd, 2007, 07:16 AM
I do hope that hardware makers will become more embedded in the community. having specs is one thing having programmers working in the business making drivers before the hardware even comes out is quite another.

and you are right once the drivers have been made they don't need to maintain them much, just give em to us and we'll make sure they work and don't have security problems.

warp99
May 3rd, 2007, 08:24 AM
Basically, they don't feel desktop Linux is going to be a profit or loss for them - just a wash.

Even if it's a wash additional revenue will be generated, which will look good to analysts at the investment houses. Once you get that momentum going other manufacturers don't what to left on the sidelines and are going to start moving into the market. I would say one or two quarters of mildly stronger sales with some attributions to Ubuntu will get the ball rolling. :)

jfinkels
May 3rd, 2007, 09:54 AM
To be fair, I've been using a lot of Dells lately through work (mostly business model laptops) and they have been reliable and I have nothing but success loading Ubuntu.

They do have very well-made computers, and cheap so they're great for businesses.

I'm using a Dell laptop right now, actually :D.

frup
May 3rd, 2007, 10:00 AM
As I understood it, they pretty much saw this as the whole enchilada.

Don't quite get that :P

I'd really like to know what MS is thinking about all this or are they thinking it's a flash in the pan? Maybe they will say outwardly that they are not worried as they quietly start selling off stock.

Enron 2.0

PartisanEntity
May 3rd, 2007, 10:28 AM

Sorry I have not read any other posts in this thread yet, but IMO this seems to be an investment-project. In other words, the idea is not to make loads of profit, but this is more of a publicity stunt. Now that such a massive company such as Dell has shown interest in Linux many hardware makers may be enticed to put out LInux drivers for their hardware. In the long run this is great for the LInux community and will help make Linux an easy switch for companies such as Dell since there will be more natively supported hardware to chose from.

I'm fine with that. And it seems to be pretty much what Mark Shuttleworth was saying in that video interview on the Dell site.

forrestcupp
May 3rd, 2007, 01:55 PM
As far as what does Microsoft think about this. I'll bet they're very minorly frustrated, but not very worried. They are probably more frustrated about Dell offering XP again than they are about the Ubuntu deal. Depending on what stats you look at there are slightly less Linux users than Mac users. Have you seen all of the Mac commercials that compare Mac's and PC's making PC's look boring? Because of the fact that MS hasn't had any retaliatory advertising, it appears that they aren't too worried about Mac taking over, so why would they be very worried about an online-only computer company offering a line of Ubuntu computers alongside their Windows computers?

Maybe they should be more worried than they are, though.

With all of that said, it does seem like Linux makes Steve Ballmer angry.

"Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry."

m.musashi
May 3rd, 2007, 03:47 PM
Even if it's a wash additional revenue will be generated, which will look good to analysts at the investment houses. Once you get that momentum going other manufacturers don't what to left on the sidelines and are going to start moving into the market. I would say one or two quarters of mildly stronger sales with some attributions to Ubuntu will get the ball rolling. :)
Very good points. I think this what everyone concerned with Linux is hoping for. I can't speak for Canonical but it did seem that they were not very concerned with the revenue stream from the deal, but with the impact in the rest of industry - which is what you are saying as well.

Don't quite get that :P

Sorry, that's a bit of slang that may not translate well. I was basically saying/agreeing that Canonical seemed to think the hardware makers' response to the deal would be the real payoff.

jrusso2
May 3rd, 2007, 04:44 PM
If Canonical thinks it will be a wash I hate to see what the pessimists think. What happened to optomism. Gee take some pride in what you do.

dca
May 3rd, 2007, 05:24 PM
I would assume Canonical wants to make money using the same business model RH & Novell applied to open source. The money is in the enterprise. Dell could benefit because let's face it, they're lacking on the hardcore machinery that you can get from IBM... HP supports Debian on the server. IBM doesn't care whether it's their own AIX or something certified to run on their stuff. Believe me I know everyone wants market share taken away from MS but it ain't gonna' happen in my lifetime. Bottom line: the best thing for Canonical is to line up some high-profile accounts a' la Novell w/ the Peugueot (spelling) dealie and Novell w/ the Wal-Marts, and other than that RH has the rest of them. They're business model is perfect, flawless, really. Think about it, most enterprises have in-house admins for non-serious issues on their Linux boxes. This in turn creates organizations that have 30 Linux servers all running RH or SLES but only having four or five added to RHN for updates & security fixes or support at any one time. Canonical on the other hand (w/ their 606LTS release) gives you for FREE the same product that you would normally have to pay for the subscription first to get. *rats* I'm preaching again...

forrestcupp
May 3rd, 2007, 05:46 PM
If Canonical thinks it will be a wash I hate to see what the pessimists think. What happened to optomism. Gee take some pride in what you do.

No one said it wouldn't be worth it. It is an investment. They aren't doing this for the quick buck, but for advancement and more long term good.

matthinckley
May 3rd, 2007, 05:50 PM
I wonder if they will stilll ship them with purple operating system cd's

Praill
May 3rd, 2007, 06:21 PM
Once again this is GREAT.
Dell will, no doubt, be putting the thumb down on ATI (their major gpu provider) to keep on top of their linux drivers. This resonates to all linux users, on all distros that use these cards.

Dells reason for doing this? To support and ever-growing market of people that cant stand to even touch a winblows PC. Its smart. If there was a reasonable alternative MANY would switch... in a heartbeat.

m.musashi
May 3rd, 2007, 06:23 PM

I don't think it's pessimism, but rather an solid understanding that the server market is their bread and butter but desktop users will drive HW changes that will only help the server market in the long run. Canonical gets no money (unless Dell is paying something) for each copy of Ubuntu so unless users pony up for support this will not be a money deal. However, it is advertising and it is pressure on other vendors (will HP, Sony, Toshiba be next) and chip makers.

jfinkels
May 3rd, 2007, 06:34 PM
I think the general consensus around here is that Steve Ballmer is one crazy mofo (excuse my French).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc4MzqBFxZE

JAPrufrock
May 3rd, 2007, 07:38 PM
This could mean that it's the beginning of the end of Microsoft, or it could mean absolutely nothing. Depends how many Ubuntu OS computers Dell sells. If software vendors (like Adobe) smell a profit look out world. If they don't, pop, fizzle, fizzzzzzzzzzzz.

lyceum
May 3rd, 2007, 09:18 PM
Sorry I have not read any other posts in this thread yet, but IMO this seems to be an investment-project. In other words, the idea is not to make loads of profit, but this is more of a publicity stunt. Now that such a massive company such as Dell has shown interest in Linux many hardware makers may be enticed to put out LInux drivers for their hardware. In the long run this is great for the LInux community and will help make Linux an easy switch for companies such as Dell since there will be more natively supported hardware to chose from.

I'm fine with that. And it seems to be pretty much what Mark Shuttleworth was saying in that video interview on the Dell site.

I agree. I think it would be great if Ubuntu and Dell take the workd by storm. At the same time, this could just be another "year of the Linux" everyone is always talking about. Either way, it makes my life easier, and give people more options. This is what is, and should be, important, IMHO.

As far as what does Microsoft think about this. I'll bet they're very minorly frustrated, but not very worried. They are probably more frustrated about Dell offering XP again than they are about the Ubuntu deal. Depending on what stats you look at there are slightly less Linux users than Mac users. Have you seen all of the Mac commercials that compare Mac's and PC's making PC's look boring? Because of the fact that MS hasn't had any retaliatory advertising, it appears that they aren't too worried about Mac taking over, so why would they be very worried about an online-only computer company offering a line of Ubuntu computers alongside their Windows computers?

Maybe they should be more worried than they are, though.

With all of that said, it does seem like Linux makes Steve Ballmer angry.

"Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry."

I think the real reason they don't care about Macs would be that the cost so much. Linux/FOSS really bugs them as it is free and it works well enough to stop their new money flowing in. I really think they would be more conserned with the Mac world if they were closer in price to MS PCs.