PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Carl Martin
May 3rd, 2007, 02:33 AM
Hi everyone. I just wanted to take a minute to introduce myself. I'm an absolute beginner to Ubuntu (5days) and am only starting to learn the system, so I'm sure I'll be posting a few questions in the days ahead. I decided to give Linux a try after years of Window: 95, 98, ME (still makes me shudder!!!) and XP. After reading about all the problems with Vista and its ridiculous hardware requirements, I thought that rather than upgrading my Athlon FX55 system - which was top of the line only a year ago - it was time to switch operating systems. Seems that, for now at least, Ubuntu is the way to go.

Hope to get to know many of you and look forward to the day when I'll be able to contribute to the community.

Carl

Kinkybuu
May 3rd, 2007, 02:39 AM
hola carl, pleasure to meet u. names Will. im rather new here too lol so i thought id stop in to say hi.

Mateo
May 3rd, 2007, 02:42 AM
good luck, next month or two will be frustrating.

ComplexNumber
May 3rd, 2007, 03:00 AM
thats not very encouraging. i'm sure what you really meant to say was, there may be a small learning curve as the OP adjusts from one operating system to another. it doesn't mean that hes going to find it frustrating. thats not a given. just like many others before him, he may well be so glad to escape from the windows treadmill that anything and everything is bearable.

Mateo
May 3rd, 2007, 03:06 AM
i'm just speaking from my experience. he may very well find it to be easy, I hope he does.

jfinkels
May 3rd, 2007, 03:06 AM

That's a little bit negative haha

Welcome friend! If you need anything at all, we're here to help (even if it's not computer-related)! If you have any questions, just make a new thread (probably in the Absolute Beginner section of the forums) and describe your problem. You should get used to Ubuntu very quickly.

ps checkout this site http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu

starcraft.man
May 3rd, 2007, 04:39 AM
Hi there, welcome to Ubuntu World.

Don't feel shy about asking questions anywhere, tonnes of people to help. Most of all have fun :)

Oh and click the link in my sig, ubuntuguide.org is a good start to learn to do things :)

Carl Martin
May 3rd, 2007, 12:10 PM
Thanks all. Yes, It's a bit frustrating, especially since I'm not a spring chicken. I was ready to throw in the towel after a couple of days, but I removed Windows from my harddrive to force myself to learn this!!!

pay
May 3rd, 2007, 12:20 PM
Thanks all. Yes, It's a bit frustrating, especially since I'm not a spring chicken. I was ready to throw in the towel after a couple of days, but I removed Windows from my harddrive to force myself to learn this!!!Personally, I would recommend against that just incase you get in the situation when you need to get some work done and you don't know how to do it under Ubuntu.

If all you want to do with a computer though is to use an office suite, browse the web and listen to music, then you will have it pretty easy (compared to windows imho).

xyz
May 3rd, 2007, 12:23 PM
Hi Carl and Welcome!
Take your time! One step at a time! You'll love it sooner than you think.

Gargamella
May 3rd, 2007, 12:25 PM
welcome!

I hope you enjoy this amazing system and open source apps in general...have a nice day ;D

DougieFresh4U
May 3rd, 2007, 12:44 PM
hola carl, pleasure to meet u. names Will. im rather new here too lol so i thought id stop in to say hi.

Welcome to the Community! you will find that there is a lot of info here at the Forum. Take some time and search through various threads as alot of questions you may have will have already been addressed. And may I add, should you have problems , please ask here in the forum if not sure so you don't break your machine:)