PDA

View Full Version : wine - buttons unreadable on mtgo installer

josephwalter
June 21st, 2005, 01:02 AM
The labels on the buttons of the magic online (mtgo) installer are unrecognizable characters. The rest of the installer, including the text on the title bar, looks fine (of course, I've only seen 1 screen!).

Here's how far I've gotten:

I installed wine and then clicked on Applications > Run Application and typed "wine /home/josephk/downloads/mtgodl2.exe". I got the .exe file from the Magic: The Gathering website. After about a minute, a winzip self-extractor window appeared and proceded to unzip a bunch of files.

The "when done open ./setup.exe" was checked, so next the Magic Online (mtgo) installed appeared. Unfortunately, the labels on the buttons were unreadable. The characters looked something like this:i|jL|i (That's not an exact copy of the text, but my keyboard doesn't have some of the letters). The two buttons and the pop-up text (that appears when I hold my mouse over a button) have these odd characters. I'm guess the buttons are supposed to be labeled "Continue" and "Cancel".

I have a $home/.wine directory, but I don't have a $home/.wine/config file. The documentation and websites I've read about wine reference this file. I don't know why I don't have one. I was hoping I could find something about fonts in it...

What do I need to install or configure so that these buttons will be readable? And does anyone know why I don't have the config file in my wine directory?

Breeegz
December 4th, 2006, 08:11 AM
bump...

I'm having the same problem

Diabolis
July 3rd, 2007, 04:37 PM
Check this folder ".wine/drive c/windows/fonts" not quite sure if this is the exact route but look for fonts folder. Mine was empty so I pasted into it some fonts.

similar error:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=480217&highlight=magic+the+gathering

AJB2K3
July 3rd, 2007, 07:38 PM
I hope some one sort this because its the only reason i havent deleted my xp partition.
Can i just copy the folders over from the xp drive?

hikaricore
July 3rd, 2007, 07:46 PM
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=4447

Known issue with little or no solution. End of story.

buttons
July 4th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Buh? What exactly can't you see?

Insomn1a
July 4th, 2007, 09:17 PM
he can't see any letters, which i would guess would be a font issue, i had the same problem with source, so i booted up windows and just burned the entire windows/fonts/ directory to a cd then copied them up into .wine/drive_c/windows/fonts

everything has worked since regarding fonts,

someone reply and help me out with this problem below, i feel like a lepper (8^(
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=491423

Slimo
July 5th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Can someone who has got MTGO working please tell me what font files are in their wine folder?
If I don't have Windows, can I get these font files from somewhere?

Thanks!!

buttons
July 5th, 2007, 11:11 PM
arialbd.ttf gautami.ttf micross.ttf times.ttf
arialbi.ttf georgiab.ttf mvboli.ttf trebucbd.ttf
ariali.ttf georgiai.ttf palabi.ttf trebucbi.ttf
arial.ttf georgia.ttf palab.ttf trebucit.ttf
ariblk.ttf georgiaz.ttf palai.ttf trebuc.ttf
comicbd.ttf Guitar Pro 5.ttf pala.ttf tunga.ttf
comic.ttf HALFLIFE2.ttf raavi.ttf verdanab.ttf
courbd.ttf HL2crosshairs.ttf shruti.ttf verdanai.ttf
courbi.ttf impact.ttf sylfaen.ttf verdana.ttf
couri.ttf kartika.ttf symbol.ttf verdanaz.ttf
cour.ttf l_10646.ttf tahomabd.ttf vrinda.ttf
Dingbats.ttf latha.ttf tahoma.ttf webdings.ttf
estre.ttf lucon.ttf timesbd.ttf wingding.ttf
framdit.ttf mangal.ttf timesbi.ttf
framd.ttf marlett.ttf timesi.ttf

Boy, THAT isn't going to format correctly.

I just copied my fonts directly from an old windows xp installation. Nothing special was done to wine (0.9.40) to get it to work, except I use schedtool to make sure wine uses only one cpu, otherwise updates fail.

No changes were made to config.

schedtool -I -a 1 -e wine "c:\Program Files\Wizards of the Coast\Magic Online\magic.exe" is the command. Works fine with just wine magic.exe if I don't have updates.

Slimo
July 7th, 2007, 12:49 PM
I copied all the font files from a Windows XP installation - still getting the same error (Failed to create font resource sserife.fot fontname serife.fon!!!)
I even made a copy of the sserife.fon file and renamed it serife.fot...but then the installation says it can't find the kickimgs folder (which is in the .wine/drive_c/windows/temp/data folder after extracting the installation program)
Just before the serife.fon error comes up a black window pops up that looks like the MTGO installer.

Can any people who have MTGO working on Ubuntu please let me know what version of Wine they are using, any tweaks, etc because this is really frustrating!!!

Thanks

Slimo
July 18th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Has anyone had any luck with this?
Or should I just wait for MTGO III and hope it works better with WINE?

Diabolis
July 18th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Today I got MTGO working. I'm running wine-0.9.35 on edgy and I didn't have to do anything special or tricky. I just ran the installer like this:

wine mtgodl2.exe

I made a script in my home folder, so I can launch the game easily. This is my file:

#!/bin/sh

# Launches game (modify as needed)
WINEDEBUG=-all wine .wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Wizards\ of\ the\ Coast/Magic\ Online/magic.exe -opengl

I gave a look to my fonts folder under wine and it stills empty, fortunately I didn't get any error messages. I've been playing for a little while and everything seems correct.

Recommended reading: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=497332

Once again, newer isn't always better...

Breeegz
July 19th, 2007, 04:36 AM
Has anyone had any luck with this?
Or should I just wait for MTGO III and hope it works better with WINE?

Mine was working until I uninstalled Ubuntu to run a Clark Connect Firewall. I can't remember what I did, but I think I did the how to on this thread. Oh, I remember now, I ran MGTO with sudo- I think.

Slimo
July 20th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Hey thanks so much everyone!! I managed to install MTGO with the "wine mtgodl2.exe" command.
The game is a bit laggy but playable, however the fonts are really small...any luck with fixing this?

malt64
June 27th, 2009, 07:53 AM
After running wine and being happy, I download a Ubuntu upgrade without thinking it would damaged my wine.
And then a few weeks later I open wine and run a window program and all the fonts were WINGDING's. :confused:

Search the net and found several leads, none seemed to work out (regidet, etc)....so finally I found this article (link below) and gave it a go. It Worked!!! :D

http://embraceubuntu.com/2005/09/09/installing-microsoft-fonts

Elfy
June 27th, 2009, 08:58 AM
thread closed - a little long in the tooth here I think ;)