PDA

View Full Version : Check out this review of Feisty Fawn.

Lord Illidan
May 2nd, 2007, 11:46 AM
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,2124099,00.asp

I didn't write it, but the issues reported by the author seemed interesting, and I wonder what you think of it. For the record, I haven't tried Feisty Fawn yet, (too busy with exams), but I'd like to know your opinions. Personally, I don't agree with many of the author's arguments - he wants Ubuntu to come with Flash installed, for example..but, I'll give the microphone to you now..

steven8
May 2nd, 2007, 11:50 AM
They've been talking about it in this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=429729

I'm running Fesity Fawn and I have had no problems. I love it so far.

Lord Illidan
May 2nd, 2007, 11:51 AM
Hell, I didn't notice *sheepish grin :popcorn:*

Mods, feel free to merge...

HumbleGod
May 2nd, 2007, 11:59 AM
I guess my biggest beef with the review is that, for a site that labels itself as "Extreme Tech," the author presents himself as a bit of a novice when it comes to open source OS. The complaints about Flash and drivers are to be expected from someone whose experience is limited to Windows or OS X, but considering that a) the author already owns Vista, and b) he has experience with at least one other Linux distro (Xandros), the few complaints he brings up seem somewhat facetious.

Ultimately, the cons he mentions are few and virtually irrelevant, and he gives them way too much weight versus the pros of the system 1) actually installing and 2) working well on virtually every count. So the "Crappy Cow" crack at the end makes me wonder if he hadn't already decided how he'd react to Feisty Fawn before even installing it.

Ubuntu isn't for everyone, and there are plenty of valid critiques of the OS floating around out there. But something about this review strikes me as...I don't know, off.

Lord Illidan
May 2nd, 2007, 12:03 PM
I guess my biggest beef with the review is that, for a site that labels itself as "Extreme Tech," the author presents himself as a bit of a novice when it comes to open source OS. The complaints about Flash and drivers are to be expected from someone whose experience is limited to Windows or OS X, but considering that a) the author already owns Vista, and b) he has experience with at least one other Linux distro (Xandros), the few complaints he brings up seem somewhat facetious.

Ultimately, the cons he mentions are few and virtually irrelevant, and he gives them way too much weight versus the pros of the system 1) actually installing and 2) working well on virtually every count. So the "Crappy Cow" crack at the end makes me wonder if he hadn't already decided how he'd react to Feisty Fawn before even installing it.

Ubuntu isn't for everyone, and there are plenty of valid critiques of the OS floating around out there. But something about this review strikes me as...I don't know, off.

Regarding the actually installing part, I don't think it is relevant. I now take it for granted that Linux will actually install on any pc I choose. If it does, no comment, if it doesn't, then it should..

DoctorMO
May 2nd, 2007, 12:11 PM
The review seemed to want to be balanced but then failed with the flash comment and the windows migration tool con. did they expect open source hippies would have access to vista somehow?

The comment about screen detection, nvidia driver installation is valid but only for the ignorant.

compwiz18
May 2nd, 2007, 12:14 PM
The other thing I noticed is that he mentioned only complaints about binary stuff - without actually acknowledging that the software (such as flash, nvidia drivers, a certain dvd library [well, technically this one is free but due to legal problems]) isn't free and it goes against the Ubuntu philosophy.

Admittedly I did have a few ATI driver issues, but those got fixed after I decided that the restricted drivers manager was not for me (it refused to recognize my card existed)

I think Feisty is better then Edgy...even for flash (if you have i386 - I don't so this might not be true) it can be installed by going to a page that needs flash then clicking the install button that pops up in firefox, and you're off. (not so for 64bit sadly)

and you can't even play dvds in Vista without the codecs, just for the record.

kelvin spratt
May 2nd, 2007, 12:16 PM
i installed zandros its ok just ok and its not free that why it has flash etc installed so why do i not use it as i paid for it its not in the same leage as fiesty i intalled fiesty in 15 mins rebooted 1600x1200 graphics
fired up firefoox clicked to insall flash player inserted movie clicked to install codec everytning works
that wasent hard was it when i tried to instal xandros it would not find drivers for my ati card had to manualy find my etho conection and sound card so was this guy payed to slag fiesty or is he like most journalists a total moron if a couple of clicks is to much he needs to give up and go back to his vista
and get a culture shock as you have to supple drivers for all non plug an play hardware