PDA

View Full Version : A good BitTorrent client for GNOME?

PrimoTurbo
May 2nd, 2007, 10:32 AM
uTorrent is basically the best BitTorrent client in my opinion because it's fast/small and has every feature possible. However it's ugly under wine so I want something that looks good by default in GNOME. I don't want any KDE clients either, since they look bad in GNOME unless they are tweaked and such.

So this is what I need from a client.

Looks good in by default GNOME (Not Windows or KDE based)
Single user interface, NOT separate windows for each torrent
DHT support
Low on resources and FAST

Azureus comes very close to all this but it's such a system hog and java based, I would like something that's faster. Appreciate any suggestions!

LookTJ
May 2nd, 2007, 10:41 AM
try this client (http://www.getdeb.net/release.php?id=798).

RAV TUX
May 2nd, 2007, 10:45 AM
uTorrent is basically the best BitTorrent client in my opinion because it's fast/small and has every feature possible. However it's ugly under wine so I want something that looks good by default in GNOME. I don't want any KDE clients either, since they look bad in GNOME unless they are tweaked and such.

DHT support

Azureus comes very close to all this but it's such a system hog and java based, I would like something that's faster. Appreciate any suggestions!

While I found KTorrent to be one of the best, and there are many good ones, I actually have come to predominately use the the Torrent client in Opera.

While not as feature rich it serves my needs perfectly.

I have heard Deluge is outstanding but have yet to try it.

rko618
May 2nd, 2007, 10:56 AM
Azureus (not strictly GNOME) is my favorite because of its RSS feed plugin, and it supports the private torrent site I use.

I was having a lot of fun at one point with rTorrent and probably never would have switched if it support private torrent sites.

As far as GNOME specific torrent clients I think Deluge is a good option, but like the last poster I haven't used it either.

kano
May 2nd, 2007, 11:04 AM

DHT support

My favorite is Deluge, and it seems to fit everything you're looking for :)

http://www.deluge-torrent.org/

PrimoTurbo
May 2nd, 2007, 11:06 AM
I'm a member at some private torrent sites, I thought they just banned unapproved torrent clients (BitComet for example) and not only restricted torrents. Or do they only allow RSS feeds for certain sites, how exactly do you use RSS feeds? Do you subscribe to a certain podcast for example and it downloads upon release?

Deluge looks very clean by the way? Anyone use it?

kano
May 2nd, 2007, 11:19 AM
I use deluge (of course ;P), and while I have no idea on the RSS feed thing... I'm a private member at demonoid and have no problem with their torrents.

PrimoTurbo
May 2nd, 2007, 11:40 AM
demonoid is not really all that private they allow external peer connections, their torrents are also posted on many public sites.

Anyone use it on supertorrents, torrentbytes, bitgamers, oink?

PrimoTurbo
May 2nd, 2007, 08:59 PM
Deluge is very nice but I went with Azureus, because Deluge is listed as a unknown client under many private torrent sites and therefore it's banned. Also Deluge suffers from some minor bugs that I noticed, for one I had a power outage and all my torrents were not saved they were simply deleted so I had to get back the .torrent files. Furthermore the list by % option in peer view is messed up when you check to see it what the user % is from top to bottom, which is useful to determine how well the torrent is seeded and how much % people have downloaded.

Also I noticed HUGE speed gains and improvements with Azureus 2.5

karellen
May 2nd, 2007, 09:07 PM

DHT support

I fail to see how azureus looks better in gnome than ktorrent (that's what I use), but it's your opinion. I see no problem having kde applications running in gnome, none at all. especially the look ;)

justin whitaker
May 2nd, 2007, 09:11 PM
rtorrent. Someone else suggested that in another thread, and I'm now using it. Console FTW!

mech7
May 2nd, 2007, 09:28 PM
uTorrent is the beste Deluge looks nice but is missing very simple features like right click on torrent to open folder for example.. maybe in a few months year it will be as good as uTorrent.

unnes
May 2nd, 2007, 09:37 PM
Ktorrent has every feature you'd want from a modern torrent client (DHT, encryption, peer exchange, uPnP, RSS parsing, web UI, small memory footprint), and runs and looks great in GNOME in Feisty. Yes, the "K" stands for KDE, but it runs like a charm in GNOME.

ghandi69_
May 2nd, 2007, 09:49 PM
Ktorrent has every feature you'd want from a modern torrent client (DHT, encryption, peer exchange, uPnP, RSS parsing, web UI, small memory footprint), and runs and looks great in GNOME in Feisty. Yes, the "K" stands for KDE, but it runs like a charm in GNOME.

I 2nd that.

I prefer kTorrent in gnome to uTorrent in windows.

juxtaposed
May 2nd, 2007, 10:02 PM
I'm a private member at demonoid

Not exactly a private site...

Anyway, I use Azureus. I used Azureus and uTorrent in windows, and i'd like it if uTorrent was available for linux so I could use that too, but still, Azureus is good.

hoagie
May 2nd, 2007, 10:08 PM
Deluge for me.

karellen
May 2nd, 2007, 10:29 PM

yeap, that's my point, too

SlackLagg
May 4th, 2007, 12:58 AM
... Also Deluge suffers from some minor bugs that I noticed, for one I had a power outage and all my torrents were not saved they were simply deleted so I had to get back the .torrent files. ...

I'm fairly sure I found a way to fix that issue. I made a thread, not many takers so far, but I'll post it here.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=432101

salsafyren
May 4th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Try Transmission:

http://transmission.m0k.org/

Lacrimstein
September 20th, 2007, 02:26 AM
I recently installed the new version of ktorrent (2.2, i think - its not in the repositories) because the old version kept on quitting with the KDE Crash Handler message... well it works well, but it wastes 50-60MB of RAM, which on my 256mb ram is pretty significant... can someone suggest a client with a low memory footprint and with a good UI?

Montsegur87
September 20th, 2007, 02:34 AM
Deluge has improved a lot recently

bogolisk
September 20th, 2007, 03:21 AM
A killer feature in Transmission 8.0 is the ability to control it from the command line even if it's a gnome GUI app:

add torrent into the gui app:
transmission-remote -t gtk -a my_new_torrentfile.torrent
stop an active torrent:
transmission-remote -t gtk -S .....
remove torrent from the open torrents list:
transmission-remote -t gtk -r .....
list the open torrents:
transmission-remote -t gtk -l

This way, from work, I can ssh back into my home machine and query/check/add/remove torrents into/from my running Transmission gui app. Basicly Transmission acts as a gui torrent apps and a torrent daemon at the same time.