PDA

View Full Version : What INPUT (Keyboard/Mouse/Both) do you use to surf the web?

PrimoTurbo
May 2nd, 2007, 09:58 AM
When I surf the web I basically use mouse only and rarely the keyboard. This is because the way my computer desk is set up, the keyboard slides below and the mouse is on the top layer of the desk near the monitor. Furthermore I kinda lean back in my chair, so it's uncomfortable to type. So I have to sit up in a different position to slide the keyboard, a little and then type. So I never use any keyboard shortcuts or functions, I was wondering how everyone else does it?

Also in Firefox I use middle mouse to open new tabs and middle mouse to close tabs, I have a new tab button in case I want a blank tab and no close buttons on the tabs themselves but a edited about:config on the new firefox in order to include the old style 1 close button on the right. I find this very functional as I can open tabs in a picture gallery and then with out changing my mouse position as the tabs disappear, close all the tabs I need very quickly. Also I have resized the tabs when there is many of them open, I hate the new tab scroll feature and the useless tab pull down on the right.

Bavo
May 2nd, 2007, 10:10 AM
It depends,
on a desktop i use only a mouse.
On a laptop i use mostly the keyboard.

FoolsGold
May 2nd, 2007, 10:13 AM
Combo:

Mouse to click links and move the page down via scroller.

Keyboard to manipulate tabs, search, move page

PrimoTurbo
May 2nd, 2007, 10:20 AM
I tried my friend's laptop with the little screen mouse (whatever it's called). The mouse is extremely cumbersome to use, I can draw with my mouse fairly accurately because I used to skin models for various games like Quake & Quake2. Under a laptop I can barley move the mouse to close a window. I'm guessing you can eventually get used to using your finger, but is anyone good enough with it to use GIMP or Photoshop in order to create graphics or to draw something simple?

Also it's 5:17 AM and I'm on a new Ubuntu install, upgrading a second time from 6.04 to 6.10 and now to 7.04, all in 1 night. I have 42 minutes left at 100KB/s, Which is freaking slow, considering I can do 500KB/s on most servers! And I was getting like under 40KB/s for the past couple of hours!) I've had many problems getting 7.04 to install with errors, search for my latest threads if you want to see the error. Then I will spend another 2-3hours to setup Ubuntu with Automatix and Updates downloads and other stuff, then I will watch the rest of Sphere (movie) get some food and go to sleep around 10 or 11 AM. /endofunrelatedrant

alphane
May 2nd, 2007, 11:11 AM
Mouse to scroll, move between web tabs etc
Fingers at the ready to press backspace (to go back 1 history) and ready to hold control to open link in a new tab.

kano
May 2nd, 2007, 11:29 AM
Both.
Keyboard to use shortcuts, and mouse to click stuff on web pages/scroll.