PDA

View Full Version : how do you know if programming is for you?

billdotson
May 2nd, 2007, 02:58 AM
when did you (if you did) realize programming was what was for you/what you wanted to do?

harun
May 2nd, 2007, 03:08 AM
First day I tried to write a program at work in Perl using the O'Reilly Perl in a Nutshell book.

gh0st
May 2nd, 2007, 01:25 PM
Thats a really difficult question to answer. For me it was a gradual thing, I was doing a CS degree and we had to do Java programming as part of the course. At first I hated it, I thought I'd never be able to do it but I'm no quitter so I carried on. After a while I found I was doing it in my spare time and even just for fun. The love just grew on me I suppose.

The really addictive thing was when I finished my first decent program, only something small but it was mine. The buzz was great and I was hooked. I kept loading it and just looking at it saying "I did that?" and the sad thing is even now I still do that from time to time with programs I write. It's a great feeling of achievement.

I suppose the answer to your question is you just know if programming is for you I think. It may not happen straight away but it will happen. You may realize you don't like it but you will know one way or the other. Not much help to you I know but thats the truth :D

Sooner or later you'll know ;)

Good luck

jamiethehutt
May 4th, 2007, 04:06 PM
I've almost always had a computer in the house, back when I was 5 or 6 it was a Toshiba "Laptop" that ran at 16Mhz with 512Kb RAM with black and orange screen that I'd play DOS games on so I'd always been interested.

So in ~94 I was ~8 and realized (somehow) that the BBC Micro (4Mhz CPU 16-32Kb RAM) we had in the classroom had a BASIC interpreter and that it could run code similar to what you found in books and stuff (most of that was in some other more common BASIC version though). So using that I worked out:

10 PRINT "MRS HENRY IS A BITCH"
20 GOTO 10

That got me detention.

I was pretty determined, when I was about 10 I remember finding QBASIC on whatever our computer was at the time and writing a program that took a letter and then gave you a number so you could encrypt and decode messages with it (just using lots of ifs, if letter A print 10 sort of thing). From then I was pretty hooked but didn't know how or where to learn until I was about 14-15 in secondary school and was taught QBasic again, then Visual Basic. And then the rest is history! (I've now thankfully unlearned all the *BASIC I've learnt though...):) :)

phossal
May 4th, 2007, 04:22 PM
I knew programming was for me when it became a platform for learning things I had detested before but found myself enjoying, like calculus, or hardware schematics.

qix
May 4th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Uh I love programming. Creating stuff!! I love building stuff, and it's so beautiful to do that with programming.

If it's for me? I don't know. I chose math over programming when I entered the college, but right now my goal is to combine it, and do both in the end.

If it's for you? Well... If you do it out of lust in your spare time, then I'd guess it is. If you are eager to learn more, just to learn, then I'd guess it is.

ironfistchamp
May 4th, 2007, 09:39 PM
I first knew programming was for me when I wrote my first Python script. It was just hello world but it was so easy. After that I decided to jump into the deep end and write a text based rpg. It went well and the rest is history.

Enalia
May 5th, 2007, 05:27 AM
I knew programming was for me when I began reading my TI-83+ manual. My parents grounded me and all I could do was read, and do homework.

So i started playing around with it's version of BASIC and it was GREAT!! Something about it felt amazing! By the end of senior year I had written a small adventure game all in BASIC!

Something about having an idea- thinking of an execution- then running into a problem and having to come up with an idea to get around it... something about all that just makes me feel like Superman.

When i started college I made the big leap to C++, loved it and have since started on Java and Python and Perl and just can't get enough of programming.

jfinkels
May 5th, 2007, 05:34 AM
I think everyone makes one of those little text-based adventure games hahaha.

I knew for certain that programming was for me when I was in class learning about memory management and thoroughly enjoying it.

slavik
May 5th, 2007, 05:36 AM
take a class that is intro but is not a class for sleeping and see if you like it and/or find it interesting (my graphics prof had a bachelor's degree in ART, but master's in comp sci after taking only 1 comp gfx course).

bashologist
May 5th, 2007, 05:37 AM
If you go to bed every night thinking about strings and conditions, or maybe ways to eliminate possible errors. Some of my best ideas come to me just as I'm going to bed or maybe sleeping.

Enalia
May 5th, 2007, 05:40 AM
mine actually wasn't technically a "text-based adventure game"

you could move around on the screen with the directional buttons and encounter monsters and find treasure...

your character was a Theta symbol monsters were " ! " and treasure was " * "- so yeah, technically text-based but TO THE MAX.

SkiesOfAzel
May 5th, 2007, 06:34 PM
If you go to bed every night thinking about strings and conditions, or maybe ways to eliminate possible errors. Some of my best ideas come to me just as I'm going to bed or maybe sleeping.

Lololol, this used to happen to me all the time back when i was coding. I was seeing trees (not the natural variety ;)) every night in my sleep :P.

gh0st
May 7th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Lololol, this used to happen to me all the time back when i was coding. I was seeing trees (not the natural variety ;)) every night in my sleep :P.

Yeah I've had the same thing happen to me, I spent all day, like 12 hours trying to fix a bug in some code then I woke up in the middle of the night and I just knew how to fix it, so I jumped out of bed, ran to the computer and did it right then. My brain worked it out while I was asleep. Pretty sad I know ;)

jdonnell
May 8th, 2007, 04:48 AM

This is so true. I solve so many issues by getting away from the computer and just laying on the couch or something.

jfinkels
May 8th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Yeah I've had the same thing happen to me, I spent all day, like 12 hours trying to fix a bug in some code then I woke up in the middle of the night and I just knew how to fix it, so I jumped out of bed, ran to the computer and did it right then. My brain worked it out while I was asleep. Pretty sad I know ;)

When something 'comes to me' like that, and I'm not at a computer, I always have the urge to tell people around me. It's never really a good idea, though. :D

Also, I knew programming was for me when I was writing code (on paper) during class for a program I was putting together at home.

jamescox84
May 8th, 2007, 08:42 PM
I first started programming at the age of 11 in BASIC on an Amstrad CPC 646 that was about 10 years old that I got second hand for about 80. The tape drive didn't work and I had no blank floppy's, there was no way of saving anything. Dispite this I wrote 100's of lines of code knowing full well all was lost when I restarted. I learnt from the user manual which had each BASIC command and a brief description of what it did, and some example programs from the back of that manual, btw I was terrible at reading and hated it! I had no internet and now text books. I eventually managed to program a "game" where to space ships shot at each other and I was chuffed.

Programming is for you when you realize you will spend (read "waste") loads of time writing stuff that doesn't work, doesn't do very much, or doesn't do it well. Dispite this you keep coming back for more, you want to know every thing.

I now can program in x86 assembly, C, Java, C#, Python and yes... BASIC!
And for a little more pain I'm learning Lisp.

foresth
May 8th, 2007, 08:51 PM
how do you know if programming is for you?

I am a programmer but still don't know :).

johnnymac
May 9th, 2007, 03:31 AM
When you begin explaining typical things to people (like why you bought something at the grocery store) using decision and conditional logic....

HAH! :)