PDA

View Full Version : Which nVidia card do YOU recommend?

user1397
May 2nd, 2007, 02:56 AM
I currently have an ATI card, but since I like linux and I know that nvidia works better on linux (for the most part), I am thinking about buying one.

But...I know nothing about nvidia cards.

Just so you know, I don't have any PCI-E ports, only AGP 4x/8x and PCI.

my current card is an ati radeon x1600 pro 512mb vram. I like the amount of memory, but I could go for something less but still fast. I realize that my video card isn't really that good, when compared to PCI-E cards and some 256MB cards out there, but its still good nonetheless, no matter what you cocky big-shot graphics moguls have! :)

Also just to mention, I also use windows on this computer, and have a few "high-end" games...so I need that power, but nothing too crazy and expensive (just running windows xp, not vista!)

***********EDIT: read post #10

a12ctic
May 2nd, 2007, 02:58 AM
Well, the only better agp cards than that are the 7800GS and 1950 agp, and sense you want nvidia, go with the 7800GS.

BTW, VRAM means nothing if the card isn't powerful enough to exploit it all, which is DEFIANTLY the case with that 1600pro. Its mostly a gimmick.

user1397
May 2nd, 2007, 03:02 AM
Well, the only better agp cards than that are the 7800GS and 1950 agp, and sense you want nvidia, go with the 7800GS.ah, ok

BTW, VRAM means nothing if the card isn't powerful enough to exploit it all, which is DEFIANTLY the case with that 1600pro. Its mostly a gimmick.really? damn! that sucks for me...I didn't know that before I bought the card. O well, I guess I can sell it to another moron like me!

Sunflower1970
May 2nd, 2007, 03:09 AM
I have a 7600GT AGP card. It works quite well. I'm happy with it.

user1397
May 2nd, 2007, 03:13 AM
Also just to mention, I also use windows on this computer, and have a few "high-end" games...so I need that power, but nothing too crazy and expensive (just running windows xp, not vista!)

WalmartSniperLX
May 2nd, 2007, 03:34 AM

I think the 7800GS is probably a good buy for you then. Don't go with the G80 (GeForce Eight) cards yet. I'm not sure if nvidia has *nix drivers yet. Someone please correct me if I am wrong or when they are released. :)

Just look around the agp GeForce 7 cards. Remember as far as speed performance, the GS is the lowest (besides the rare chance that there is an XT version of the card, then the XT is the lowest. It's the opposite of ATI), then GT, GTS, GTX, Ultra. And whichever one is available depends on the gpu. So some cards wont have an Ultra version, but will have a GT and GTX. Some wont have a GTX but have a GT as the max. Whatever. Im sure you understand. Just look around newegg.com. Even if you don't plan on shopping there, its a good site with a huge inventory so it makes a good source for shoppers anywhere. And, since you have an AGP bus, I don't think you have than many options >.< sorry.

EDIT: Also check out the 7600GT. It could be more of what you need. A GT of a lower model sometimes performes higher on the frames than a GS of the next model up.

And VRAM is just dual-ported video ram. Not sure what he means by needing a powerful gpu. Its old technology just brushed up a little bit for higher resolutions. Sure the X1600 boasts 512mb VRAM with only a 128-bit memory interface, but it still uses the vram perfectly fine. The only thing thats a GIMMICK is it having 512MB of it with such a small interface. It exploits it all. It just does smaller instruction sets.

user1397
May 2nd, 2007, 09:28 PM
I think the 7800GS is probably a good buy for you then. Don't go with the G80 (GeForce Eight) cards yet. I'm not sure if nvidia has *nix drivers yet. Someone please correct me if I am wrong or when they are released. :)

Just look around the agp GeForce 7 cards. Remember as far as speed performance, the GS is the lowest (besides the rare chance that there is an XT version of the card, then the XT is the lowest. It's the opposite of ATI), then GT, GTS, GTX, Ultra. And whichever one is available depends on the gpu. So some cards wont have an Ultra version, but will have a GT and GTX. Some wont have a GTX but have a GT as the max. Whatever. Im sure you understand. Just look around newegg.com. Even if you don't plan on shopping there, its a good site with a huge inventory so it makes a good source for shoppers anywhere. And, since you have an AGP bus, I don't think you have than many options >.< sorry.

EDIT: Also check out the 7600GT. It could be more of what you need. A GT of a lower model sometimes performes higher on the frames than a GS of the next model up.

And VRAM is just dual-ported video ram. Not sure what he means by needing a powerful gpu. Its old technology just brushed up a little bit for higher resolutions. Sure the X1600 boasts 512mb VRAM with only a 128-bit memory interface, but it still uses the vram perfectly fine. The only thing thats a GIMMICK is it having 512MB of it with such a small interface. It exploits it all. It just does smaller instruction sets.wow, thanks for all the information, just what I needed. Thanks for clearing up everything.

user1397
May 29th, 2007, 09:58 PM
How does this one sound: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125039

I kinda like the fact that it is fanless, as fan noise perturbs me, but if the card has a greater danger of frying, then I would rather take one with a fan.

stmiller
May 29th, 2007, 10:02 PM
I like video cards that are passively cooled; no fan! They are silent. I like my computer to be 100% quiet.

Something like these:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/390/2/

http://www.trustedreviews.com/graphics/review/2006/04/27/Leadtek-WinFast-7600-GS-vs-HIS-X1600-XT-IceQ-Turbo/p1

user1397
August 9th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Yep, still haven't bought it, still looking

I have one question remaining: what matters more, pixel pipelines, bit interface, vram, or what?

edit: this looks pretty nice especially for the price (what do u all think?): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127297

(yes I know it's PCI-E, but I'm planning on buying a new computer anyway)

user1397
August 10th, 2007, 12:05 AM
bump

starcraft.man
August 10th, 2007, 12:57 AM
Yep, still haven't bought it, still looking

I have one question remaining: what matters more, pixel pipelines, bit interface, vram, or what?

edit: this looks pretty nice especially for the price (what do u all think?): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127297

(yes I know it's PCI-E, but I'm planning on buying a new computer anyway)

Firstly. Do you have to buy right now? My best recommendation is to wait. New technologies are going to be out in the next few months, most notably is the distribution of PCIe 2.0 (will in effect double the slot to 32). New cards going forward will all be 2.0 for some time and the 1.1 standard will become obsolete likely very fast. In addition, new boards will be supporting the newer chip sets (intel will have x38 and nvidia will have a new nforce if you want SLI).

The new boards and chips will be coming out in September - November I think sporadically and the new Nvidia GeForce line (9 Series) is expected out in November-December I believe. The new line will have double the raw power of most 8 series cards now in existence, as well as supporting the new 10.1 revision of DX. The revision, from what I've read, won't be compatible (not confirmed) with 8 series cards (or the ATI equivalent) only the newest gen, this of course is only an issue if you plan on moving and gaming with Vista.

That's my brief summary, a lot of new tech is coming out for Christmas. I did all that research cuz I was recently gonna build myself a new gaming rig but decided against it waiting on the new tech. My new date for ordering my parts and building is January-February (maybe even March, depends on prices/stock) 2008, after the shopping rush I imagine prices will decline a bit and I'll be able to find good prices near me.

Now, if none of this matters and you won't be getting Vista for gaming at all in the future, you don't need to wait. The machine won't last as long though as one you could get next year, just a warning. Eventually games will move to DX10 only and it's unlikely all will be back ported to XP (I'm pinning this milestone for DX10 shift around mid to tail end of 2008 for most of the industry).

Oh and as for what's important, it's not any one particular part of the card it's the whole ecosystem (just like a rig is only as strong as it's weakest component) that meshes together as well as the drivers that power the card. I don't know the specifics, but I do know the good cards out there today. The best example of why it's all of the parts is ATIs new 2900XT, in most tests I've seen it barely displaces the Geforce 8800 GTX and Ultra (both which have 768 RAM and has been out for months) and it has 1 GB and most other specs above the Ultra. Numbers aren't everything. Give me a price range for a card and I will recommend you a good Nvidia card. If you want to wait, then do that. Up to you.

Oh and I hope I got all my info right. Good sites to check for hardware are: AnandTech, TechReport, XBitlabs, tomshardware, and sharkyextreme. Best of luck with it.

Blindraven
August 10th, 2007, 03:16 AM
the 7600GT has my vote for price and quality.

LookTJ
August 10th, 2007, 03:18 AM
I would suggest a nVidia GeForce 7600. it's a decent card.