PDA

View Full Version : How many of YOU are going to purchase Dell Linux computers?

user1397
May 2nd, 2007, 02:37 AM
Simple poll, are you going to buy an Ubuntu Dell?

steven8
May 2nd, 2007, 02:41 AM
I think I'll buy one for my father. I've been trying to get him to get a computer, and this is the perfect opportunity!!

a12ctic
May 2nd, 2007, 02:42 AM
I want a laptop, this might be the perfect time to get one! :) So at the moment, I'm planning on it.

Sunflower1970
May 2nd, 2007, 02:45 AM
Until recently, all the computers I've bought came from Dell (the only exception is the used Thinkpad laptop. The Compaq was given to us by my husband's boss). When I'm in the market again for a brand new computer I will definately go with Dell again.

Somenoob
May 2nd, 2007, 02:46 AM
I might

FuturePilot
May 2nd, 2007, 02:47 AM
Sadly I don't think I will. Past experiences with their Customer Service has left a bad taste in my mouth. Although this 5 year old laptop with Ubuntu is still running fine:)
We'll see.

jrusso2
May 2nd, 2007, 02:48 AM
I just bought a thinkpad 6 months ago but the next one I would buy a Dell with Ubuntu or system 76 depending on price.

UltraMathMan
May 2nd, 2007, 02:48 AM
I just bought a laptop last August, so I probably won't buy one immediately. I will however recommend them to anyone looking for a new computer.

Raval
May 2nd, 2007, 02:56 AM
I normally use 2 PCs a personal and an office one. At the moment I only have the one for my home office (dual boot) I sold the other because it was old. It was a Compaq Presario 7000CTO.

I decided my next personal PC would be a dedicated Ubuntu desktop and make my home office one a dedicated XP desktop. So if Dell offers an Ubuntu desktop with a fully functional winmodem they got my money.

Hendrixski
May 2nd, 2007, 02:59 AM
As a small business owner, I am going to buy them for my office. :-) because Ubuntu + Dell = cost effective value creation for my business

aysiu
May 2nd, 2007, 03:01 AM
Just adding a poll

JerseyShoreComputer
May 2nd, 2007, 03:02 AM
I used to be a Dell advocate, and recently became an HP convert. With this new information, I am persuaded to give Dell another go round. I already started today by trying to get my wife's office to get these new computers with Linux on them. Wish me luck!

user1397
May 2nd, 2007, 03:10 AM
Just adding a pollah, thanks aysiu, nice poll, better than the one I came up with for sure. I guess you can delete the other redundant thread I made...

deniro0311
May 2nd, 2007, 03:14 AM
Workstation / Server - Save money and build your own

Laptop - Thinkpads all the way

aysiu
May 2nd, 2007, 03:15 AM
ah, thanks aysiu, nice poll, better than the one I came up with for sure. I guess you can delete the other redundant thread I made...
I've deleted the other thread.

user1397
May 2nd, 2007, 03:16 AM
I've deleted the other thread.thank you.

califman831
May 2nd, 2007, 03:17 AM
If dell offers the systems at a decent rate then yes I'll get me a dell dude.

FoolsGold
May 2nd, 2007, 03:23 AM
More than likely, yes.

I've been thinking about getting a laptop for a while, but didn't relish the research I'd have to do with getting Linux to behave with the hardware of whatever laptop I selected. Here, Dell can make it easy by pre-installing Ubuntu onto laptops which have fully-supported hardware, and that is definately a big plus.

aysiu
May 2nd, 2007, 03:27 AM
By the way, the "multiple-choice" polls--where you can select more than one option--tend to end up hard to decipher (the %ages don't add up to 100), so this is a single-choice poll.

Please just select whatever option best (or most immediately) applies to your situation/position. Thanks.

Hex_Mandos
May 2nd, 2007, 03:55 AM
I build my own desktops, can't afford a laptop but would buy one, although I'd first look at what System76 is selling. But I didn't vote in the poll, as the most important option (for me) is left out: Dell is selling those models only in the USA, I'm from Argentina.

aysiu
May 2nd, 2007, 04:05 AM
I build my own desktops, can't afford a laptop but would buy one, although I'd first look at what System76 is selling. But I didn't vote in the poll, as the most important option (for me) is left out: Dell is selling those models only in the USA, I'm from Argentina.
There's "Yes, for some other reason" and "No, for some other reason."

cody50
May 2nd, 2007, 04:05 AM
I was going to go with system 76 but now I will see what dell can bring to the table (laptop wise). Choice is good.

lbyrd33
May 2nd, 2007, 04:11 AM
All in all, remember that inexpensive dell computers are pretty bad. Also, please remember that all computers can be configured to run linux!

aysiu
May 2nd, 2007, 04:15 AM
Also, please remember that all computers can be configured to run linux! Well, not the incompatible ones. And even some of the "compatible" ones need serious tweaking. Preinstalled and preconfigured means fewer hassles and guaranteed compatibility.

lbyrd33
May 2nd, 2007, 04:25 AM
Most laptops nowadays will be compatible. The only big issues are video cards and wireless networking. These problems usually only arise on cheap laptops and desktops. Having installed linux on more than 5 different computers over the past seven years I still do not think it is necessary to settle with a computer that is preconfigured. Ubuntu is the easiest distro to use.

aysiu
May 2nd, 2007, 04:28 AM
Most laptops nowadays will be compatible. The only big issues are video cards and wireless networking. Don't forget resume from suspend and hibernate, battery life, heat management, and multimedia keys.
These problems usually only arise on cheap laptops and desktops. Well, I guess a lot of us use cheap laptops, then.

Preinstalled and preconfigured are a big deal, especially for laptops. If you don't believe me, check out these links:
What has your experience been with Ubuntu on your laptop(s)? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=342444)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportMachinesLaptops

e^(i*pi)
May 2nd, 2007, 04:30 AM
Yes. I was going to build one this year, but I think that this is a really important project and I want to support it.

lbyrd33
May 2nd, 2007, 04:51 AM
Don't forget resume from suspend and hibernate, battery life, heat management, and multimedia keys. Well, I guess a lot of us use cheap laptops, then.

Preinstalled and preconfigured are a big deal, especially for laptops. If you don't believe me, check out these links:
What has your experience been with Ubuntu on your laptop(s)? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=342444)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportMachinesLaptops

I agree with you that some cheap laptops are not going to have support and Ive probably been lucky with the ones that I have bought. I do worry about Dell taking advantage of new users as in companies like system 76 and emperor linux where the price takes into account the preconfigured part. While hibernate, suspend, multimedia keys are nice, they are not a necessity to having a fully functional computer. I do agree that heat management is an important issue.

aysiu
May 2nd, 2007, 04:54 AM
While hibernate, suspend, multimedia keys are nice, they are not a necessity to having a fully functional computer. I think many here would disagree with you on that.

lbyrd33
May 2nd, 2007, 05:01 AM
I think many here would disagree with you on that.

Maybe new users.

Polygon
May 2nd, 2007, 05:02 AM
if i ever get a laptop, i will seriously consider buying one from dell with ubuntu.

jimrz
May 2nd, 2007, 05:03 AM
While I am not entirely certain that Dell's latest foray into Linux is neccessarily a good thing, I am damn near certain that it's success or failure will have a major impact on the future of Ubuntu and of Linux. This could obviously not only bring about an increase in the number of users but will be closely monitored by all of the hardware manufacturers that we have been trying to get to provide better driver support. Given that it is going to happen and that it's success will be judged by the number of units sold, I feel that all of us that are able to, and we all are in one way or another, must give our support to this effort. After all this time of bemoaning the fact that all that would really be needed to turn the corner on the desktop market is to have a major OEM selling pre-installed Linux systems, we cannot now fail to lend our support.
So yes, even though the last thing I need right now is another computer (have too many as it is), I will not only recommend Dell with Ubuntu pre-installed at all opportunities but shall also buy one, as well.

my $0.02

aysiu
May 2nd, 2007, 05:05 AM
Maybe new users.
I'm a new user, then. And a lot of potential Ubuntu Dell customers would be new users, too. If it makes you feel elite to not want standard features or to have to work hard to get them working, then consider yourself elite. Most of us don't care about feeling elite. New, old--we just want things to work, and having a preinstalled and preconfigured laptop means something to us.

lbyrd33
May 2nd, 2007, 05:13 AM
I'm a new user, then. And a lot of potential Ubuntu Dell customers would be new users, too. If it makes you feel elite to not want standard features or to have to work hard to get them working, then consider yourself elite. Most of us don't care about feeling elite. New, old--we just want things to work, and having a preinstalled and preconfigured laptop means something to us.

I truly believe and respect that everything that you have responded with, but I really just worry that Dell may take advantage of the facts you stated above with prices and support. I would also like to one day buy a computer straight out of the box with linux. However, is a new user buying a dell computer going to have full music (mp3) and video (mpeg) support right out of the box, or is there still going to be some configuring needed? Also, remember that in the world of today itunes is pretty important for users. These are all little things which can be a big deal.

weasel fierce
May 2nd, 2007, 05:17 AM
we get a discount through our jobs, so I very likely well. Especially if this means laptop goodness

aysiu
May 2nd, 2007, 05:30 AM
However, is a new user buying a dell computer going to have full music (mp3) and video (mpeg) support right out of the box, or is there still going to be some configuring needed? Well Feisty now has easy codec installation, and who knows if Dell might actually include the codecs? It's too soon to start speculating about what problems might arise.
Also, remember that in the world of today itunes is pretty important for users. Rhythmbox actually does a decent job with iPods, as far as I can tell from recent threads in the forums. Very few people are going to plunk down US$1000 for a Ubuntu laptop without being at least somewhat familiar with the differences between Ubuntu and Windows. We're talking money here.
These are all little things which can be a big deal. But suspend isn't?

lbyrd33
May 2nd, 2007, 06:46 AM
Well Feisty now has easy codec installation, and who knows if Dell might actually include the codecs? It's too soon to start speculating about what problems might arise. Rhythmbox actually does a decent job with iPods, as far as I can tell from recent threads in the forums. Very few people are going to plunk down US$1000 for a Ubuntu laptop without being at least somewhat familiar with the differences between Ubuntu and Windows. We're talking money here. But suspend isn't?

I don't know, I never bought a computer because it was suspended well. Also, rythmbox does not offer the same things as itunes to a newbie. The few reasons you just gave are probably things users are going to have to do after purchase. Doesnt that undermine the whole purpose ( i guess as opposed to buying windows). Again, the money issue is not a problem anymore if you pretty much just look at the graphic and wifi cards. My expensive laptop just broke and I had to buy a $500 acer due to necessity and I had everything running fine under ubuntu in a few days with a popular graphics card, although driver unsupported ati, and broadcom wireless.

Bartender
May 2nd, 2007, 07:18 AM
I'll be very curious to see what kind of games Dell plays with the prices. As most of you know, the "n" series machines weren't any cheaper than the pre-loaded Windows boxes and were more expensive in some cases.

If the Linux boxes were either more expensive or the same price, and one could be sure the Windows machines had the same parts, why not buy with Windows, make a copy of the recovery partition, then wipe the drive and install Linux? As far as resale goes, having the Windows OS available for re-installation would probably make it more sellable.

It might be tough to ascertain what, if any, differences existed between the Windows and Linux offerings.

karellen
May 2nd, 2007, 07:36 AM
I wanna buy a laptop this summer, probably it will be a dell :)

cliv
May 2nd, 2007, 07:47 AM
I dont think that i would buy a Dell computer with preinstalled ubuntu, im not so experienced with ubuntu, so i sometimes need to reboot in windows. Furthermore i dont know whether this offer will be available outside the US?

steven8
May 2nd, 2007, 07:54 AM
I dont think that i would by a Dell computer with preinstalled ubuntu, im not so experienced with ubuntu, so i sometimes needs to reboot in windows. Furthermore i dont know whether this offer will be available outside the US?

I had never used windows when I got my first computer. Heck, I had never used a computer before then. I spent two weeks prior to buying it reading Windows 95 for Dummies and PCs for Dummies. Then I got the computer and figured most it out on the fly. Mostly because someone else had done the hard work for me. The setup. This is what I hope will make the Ubuntu on Dell experience fly for people. Having the hard stuff done before they get it.

Spr0k3t
May 2nd, 2007, 08:08 AM
For some reason I couldn't choose "All of the above 'No' responses", so I did a "no, other" selection.

I build my own, have something against Dell, recommend them as an option to friends/family instead of custom built, all of my systems are within a year old, and I want to support the little guys on my laptop purchases. Where do I fit?!

For the decision that Dell has made, I give my kudos to the hard working individuals supporting Linux. Personally speaking, the only recognition Dell should receive is for listening to their customers for once. Now then, let's start working on these 3rd party hardware makers who refuse to work with open source in general. I'm sure that over time these corporations will hear the beat of the drum.

Cope57
May 2nd, 2007, 08:44 AM
I like to build my own, but it will be nice to see Linux preinstalled on PC's cause I am starting to run out of CD's to hand out ;)

cliv
May 2nd, 2007, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by steven8
I had never used windows when I got my first computer. Heck, I had never used a computer before then. I spent two weeks prior to buying it reading Windows 95 for Dummies and PCs for Dummies. Then I got the computer and figured most it out on the fly. Mostly because someone else had done the hard work for me. The setup. This is what I hope will make the Ubuntu on Dell experience fly for people. Having the hard stuff done before they get it.

Well it was a bit different for me, i had tried windows 95 in the school, at friends and on my fathers computer, before getting a computer myself. And I think that the most young pc buyers have tried and got used to windows when they buy a computer today. I think that it will be a bit difficult to convince a little boy that he should try and buy the ubuntu computer if his friends all use windows. And when we are talking about young kids they would probably want to play alot of games and that is just easier to do on a windows machine.
But hey, i do agree with you that if ubuntu was more widespread and it was the first OS for many first time PC users then they wouldnt switch to windows later on. And I also welcome the move from Dell. :)

steven8
May 2nd, 2007, 08:55 AM
Well it was a bit different for me, i had tried windows 95 in the school, at friends and on my fathers computer, before getting a computer myself. And I think that the most young pc buyers have tried and got used to windows when they buy a computer today. I think that it will be a bit difficult to convince a little boy that he should try and buy the ubuntu computer if his friends all use windows. And when we are talking about young kids they would probably want to play alot of games and that is just easier to do on a windows machine.
But hey, i do agree with you that if ubuntu was more widespread and it was the first OS for many first time PC users then they wouldnt switch to windows later on. And I also welcome the move from Dell. :)

I was 30 yrs old in 1995. When I graduated from high school in 1983, they were just talking about getting PC's the next year and offering a class. Until then, they had a 'computer lab', which was very restricted, to say the least. You had to have a permission slip granted by a teacher to use it. I had a couple of friends who had computers at their homes, running pc dos. I never touched them, but played a flight-sim on the one. Anyway, I had no prior experience to feel 'left out' if I had other than my friends. I see your point, for sure, but that's why we need to get these computers out there with Linux on them, so they will become 'the norm', for the kids. :)

chakkaradeep
May 2nd, 2007, 09:07 AM
Simple poll, just choose whatever you think you will do.

Is this something related with Dell and Ubuntu offer or ?

Anyways, I do have a laptop now (Compaq Presario 2203 AL) and would love to get another one either from Dell or System76 (http://www.system76.com/) if i get enough money :)

Stone123
May 2nd, 2007, 09:22 AM
Scary and disapointing poll.

graabein
May 2nd, 2007, 09:30 AM
Sooner or later I want a new laptop because the one I've got now is from the previous century! If Dell puts out a laptop that fit my needs and the community response for it has been positive I might get one.

BackwardsDown
May 2nd, 2007, 10:36 AM
I want to buy a new laptop and now I can take Dell in consideration.

I would like to pay something extra if I have the guarantee that (k)ubuntu will run perfectly on my new laptop:)

samjh
May 2nd, 2007, 10:46 AM
I build my own PC, so no.

But it will be among the top of my "recommended buy" list for associates and friends.

RAV TUX
May 2nd, 2007, 10:49 AM
No, because I don't anticipate needing a new computer any time soon

...and if I did buy another computer it would be a Fujitsu convertible. Nothing against Dell, I just am very pleased with the overall quality and awesome reliablity of Fujitsu. Admittably, a bit more pricey then most but well worth it.

Lord Illidan
May 2nd, 2007, 11:42 AM
I don't need a new computer yet, but I might consider a laptop with Ubuntu preinstalled, especially if it comes with outofthebox support for all the gadgets like cameras etc.

Lord Illidan
May 2nd, 2007, 11:50 AM
Scary and disapointing poll.

Hell, most of us have Ubuntu already, and can install it, configure it, from scratch without any major issues on any x86 or ppc computer.

Thus, we wouldn't need to buy a computer preinstalled with Ubuntu, for the reason that we could buy our own from any vendor (with some research beforehand to check for compatibility) or else assemble our own. I guess that these laptops are aimed for users who don't know how to install Ubuntu, or else want to buy a computer which is configured out of the box, without configuring anything.

Regarding System 76, while I respect their courage in starting up their new venture, since they can't ship out of the U.S. I cannot support them by buying their products.

SunnyRabbiera
May 2nd, 2007, 12:12 PM
I have had bad experiences with dell so I might not buy a compy from them... I would by a system 76 next when the time comes.

frup
May 2nd, 2007, 12:16 PM
System 76 only supports US... Now this only supports US... HELLO!!!!! PLEASE!!! I'M OVER HERE!!!! :lolflag:

stig
May 2nd, 2007, 12:18 PM
I guess Ubuntu pre-installed on Dell PCs will be good for promoting both Ubuntu and Linux.

As for buying one, I would have to get over a previous experience of trying to buy a PC from Dell. I rang Dell (from the UK but got their salesman in India) and told them what I wanted. The salesman said I could add or remove things from the package to get what I wanted. I told him to remove the extended warranty. He did so and we agreed the price and I gave my credit card details. Several days later I got a call from him saying he was "not allowed" to sell the PC without the extended warranty (which was not true) and he was charging this on my credit card too.

After much heated discussion I eventually asked to speak to a supervisor. He later rang me and said the salesman was wrong and had been told to ring me back and sell the PC to me without the extended warranty. I never heard from them again and gave up trying to make contact.

Perhaps next time I will try making my own PC instead! I've never done it before but it seems easy from the books and guides I've looked at. At least then I could repair it myself when it went wrong. :)

mdsmedia
May 2nd, 2007, 12:44 PM
By the way, the "multiple-choice" polls--where you can select more than one option--tend to end up hard to decipher (the %ages don't add up to 100), so this is a single-choice poll.

Please just select whatever option best (or most immediately) applies to your situation/position. Thanks.I agree aysiu. I'd prefer to SEE one choice and MAKE one choice, even if it's not 100% accurate as to my thoughts.

I'm a dual-booter, but only because I have to be (when I learn more about Linux and/or my tax software becomes non-Windows specific, I'll be happy to ditch Windows....more than happy). If software doesn't run in Linux I'm not interested, generally.

When I'm in the market for a new PC or notebook I'll look at an Ubuntu Dell, but at the moment I need Windows, simply because some think it's all there is and therefore develop their software only for Windows. This can only be positive for Ubuntu and Linux, if it bites and takes off. People will see that Linux is an alternative and developers will not ignore Linux. I'll support that.

mdsmedia
May 2nd, 2007, 12:50 PM
I build my own desktops, can't afford a laptop but would buy one, although I'd first look at what System76 is selling. But I didn't vote in the poll, as the most important option (for me) is left out: Dell is selling those models only in the USA, I'm from Argentina.Their biggest mistake, I think.

Linux is more likely to take off in places outside the USA. I'm in Australia and have no option...yet. I mean with Dell.

Given a choice, I will support the OEM or anybody who offers Linux. I'd like Dell to make a real fist of this, and if they do I'll support them by at least considering them before others.

waxapple
May 2nd, 2007, 01:10 PM
No, for some other reason (please explain)

I bought a Dell Inspiron in December, prior to knowing about the setup, and installed Ubuntu on it then, so I have a Dell with Ubuntu already.

raymac46
May 2nd, 2007, 01:26 PM
Right now I've got a 2000 era Dell Dimension 4100 running Feisty and a 1998 Compaq Armada 1700 laptop with Vector Linux. The laptop is even wireless. Amazing, considering it originally connected to the Internet with a 56K modem.
Linux has taken years off the age of these systems. They are both built like tanks and should run for a while. So I don't see a new PC in my future anytime soon.
I hope Dell is successful in their venture because I'd certainly want Ubuntu on anything new I'd buy.

naknak987
May 2nd, 2007, 01:31 PM
I would if I had money.

aysiu
May 2nd, 2007, 04:35 PM
So far, about 38% said yes (even though some won't buy one immediately), and about 10% wouldn't buy one but would recommend it to friends or family. These statistics could mean absolutely nothing (a lot of polls mean nothing statistically), but if they do mean something, it could be good business for Dell and Ubuntu.

By the way, the news articles I've read about this seem to indicate it'll start in the US but then possibly expand to other countries. I agree that's a bad place to start (probably should start in Europe), but it is not supposed to be ultimately restricted to one country.

Tomosaur
May 2nd, 2007, 04:37 PM
I'd buy one for the compatibility of hardware. It's a pain having to purposefully make sure hardware is supported - at least with the Linux computers I should be able to just know whether the hardware works. I imagine I'd probably buy one with Ubuntu installed, but probably not if Dell stick loads of superfluous crap on there.

califman831
May 2nd, 2007, 05:28 PM
So far, about 38% said yes (even though some won't buy one immediately), and about 10% wouldn't buy one but would recommend it to friends or family. These statistics could mean absolutely nothing (a lot of polls mean nothing statistically), but if they do mean something, it could be good business for Dell and Ubuntu.

The 10% figure is probably higher since some of us that voted for other options on the poll, probably would not hesitate in recommending a dell.

aysiu
May 2nd, 2007, 05:30 PM
The 10% figure is probably higher since some of us that voted for other options on the poll, probably would not hesitate in recommending a dell.
Good point.

spamzilla
May 2nd, 2007, 05:36 PM
I didn't vote as it depends what I buy next. If I buy a desktop PC, I will build it myself. However if I buy a Laptop, I now have more reason to buy with Dell! I've never had a problem with my Dell Laptops (nor has my brother) so I have no reason to use a different company.

sveinn
May 2nd, 2007, 06:02 PM
Ubuntu 7.04 works great on Dell Inspiron 6000.

Just wiped out the original XP partition the other day.

Ubuntu on Dell is a serious candidate for next upgrade.

paullinux
May 2nd, 2007, 08:17 PM
I cannot help the feeling I'm getting about this Dell and Ubuntu. Many people have bombarded the Dell Idea-storm sessions with the quest for linux-pre-installation. But the 1 million dollar question I'm popping: Would you actually put down the money for a laptop with only ubuntu on it, if you can get the same one for the same price but with Vista installed? Many of us just install Ubuntu alongside XP or Vista nowadays. So you would actually get less value for your money... by buying the Ubuntu-pc.

miggols99
May 2nd, 2007, 08:21 PM
It would be good if everything would be compatible out of the box (even Beryl). People don't want to put in the live cd and find that their monitor has turned to 640x480. That just pushes away the people that would really benefit having Ubuntu.

Shay Stephens
May 2nd, 2007, 08:25 PM
I would buy one and my father would buy one. I don't run Windows anymore and don't want another dime of my money going to them by getting a computer with Windows preinstalled. So this has been great news to me.

Griff
May 2nd, 2007, 08:47 PM
If they have a sub-15" wxga labtop with nvidia and 80GB of diskspace I'd buy it tomorrow. (And under $1200) :eek:

-Griff

ginnie6
May 2nd, 2007, 08:51 PM
I would....getting a laptop for mother's day and I hate that it has vista on it. First thing i'll be doing is installing ubuntu.

linux_author
May 2nd, 2007, 08:55 PM
- i'd never buy another Dell... ever!

- i wouldn't care if Paris Hilton was installed on it!

:-)

justin whitaker
May 2nd, 2007, 09:19 PM
So far, 117 voted something like "I'd buy one" out of 221 respondents...so 52% would buy something from Dell, depending on their needs and cash flow.

I'm on the fence. I haven't seen which laptops and desktops get the Ubuntu treatment yet, and that will make or break my purchase decision. If I can get an XPS or high end Inspiron with Ubuntu...then I'm in.

ghandi69_
May 2nd, 2007, 09:22 PM
I'll be purchasing a Dell laptop as soon as they are for sale.

Iceni
May 2nd, 2007, 09:22 PM
I'm gonna need a new laptop soon, so yes. Either i buy a new laptop, erase my paid win install, or I buy a new laptop with linux already on it. No-Brainer:)

user1397
May 2nd, 2007, 09:26 PM
Is this something related with Dell and Ubuntu offer or ?

Anyways, I do have a laptop now (Compaq Presario 2203 AL) and would love to get another one either from Dell or System76 (http://www.system76.com/) if i get enough money :)yes

deanlinkous
May 2nd, 2007, 09:55 PM
nah, I will build my own

I forsee a couple thousand sales to ubuntu geeks and then life goes on....

garba
May 2nd, 2007, 10:47 PM
i'm plannin to get a laptop soon and if dell can provide me with a 100% linux compatible one i'll get one from them for sure

ksudbury
May 2nd, 2007, 11:05 PM
Deffo, we use dell in the office and for clients. Now that Dell are shipping with Ubuntu it is a good opportunity to offer it to our client base. And of corse I will be buying them for the office :D

Regards

casaschi
May 2nd, 2007, 11:09 PM
I wont buy an Ubuntu Dell because they are going to sell only in US!!!

And I'd definitely wait to see how much they "customize" the installation adding useless sw as they do on win.

deanlinkous
May 2nd, 2007, 11:11 PM
Kevin Carmony of Linspire/CNR says that it wont be many that buy them anyway.

When told that it was too bad Linspire did not have a product ready for Dell Kevin Carmony replied

It will only be "too bad," if Dell goes on to sell hundreds of thousands of these. They won't.

You should read his Linspire Letter. Sounds like he has Dell right where he wants them...
http://www.linspire.com/linspire_letter.php

The quote is from
http://forum.freespire.org/showpost.php?p=56504&postcount=18

IMO he is basically saying that Ubuntu may have got the foot in the door but that Linspire will be the product that is successful.

smiggs
May 2nd, 2007, 11:37 PM
If a laptop offering comes to the UK I might well be at the head of the queue, I'd really like every feature of my new £1000 laptop to be available right out the box. Every little feature from screen resolutions to power management to simple things like keyboard layout. That is the beauty of OEM installations, the only thing I fear is the Dell cruft, I work with Dell Windows machine. It's like I've been preinfested with spyware I spend all the time you save from having the drivers right out the box with taking out all the rubbish.

juxtaposed
May 2nd, 2007, 11:44 PM
Im not soon, because I won't be buying a computer for awhile.

But if I ever do, i'd certainly give it consideration, because it's hardware support guarenteed.

gnomeuser
May 2nd, 2007, 11:54 PM
Can't get the Linux preinstalled ones in Denmark.. plus I can't afford one now, eventually if they offer them here I'll look at them when I need a new laptop.

zach12
May 2nd, 2007, 11:58 PM
oh no a macbook or dell pc hmmmmmmmmmmm

Mateo
May 3rd, 2007, 12:29 AM
I highly doubt it. Unless they sell computers with video cards that have tv-out, tv tuner cards, and at least 300gb hard drives, I won't get one. I don't see them doing this because presumably this will be aimed at the low-end market (since the biggest appeal to getting one for customers would be that you don't have to pay the windows fee).

Coucouf
May 3rd, 2007, 12:41 AM
Yes I will certainly when the details come out.
I have a few linux boxes that work very well, but then it's easy to swap parts on a desktop to get a perfectly working configuration.

Wanting to buy a laptop, I was really wondering what kind of hardware would completely support linux. Very few hardware modifications are possible on laptops...
So if Dell certifies its laptops for it (and sells them in our remote Europe countries ;)), I'll most surely make the move.

Well, and I'm also quite an AMD inside man, so this will count too. :)

gashcr
May 3rd, 2007, 01:13 AM
For me, I liked most the system76 Darter... I like white... jaja.

But here in the office we need to purchase new computers, they all suck... so I'll seriously recommend Ubuntu Dells

Mateo
May 3rd, 2007, 01:21 AM
Speaking of system76, at least with Dell we'll likely get computers that look like computers and not rocket ships ;).

MetalMusicAddict
May 3rd, 2007, 01:27 AM
My next computer will be from them. I will still build my own as well.

blackspyder
May 3rd, 2007, 01:47 AM
waiting on a price tag. until then no

chriswyatt
May 3rd, 2007, 02:33 AM
When my laptop finally bites the dust I'll consider one of these Ubuntu laptops, but I'd expect them to be about £50 - £100 cheaper than laptops with Windows installed on them. But yes, I think Dell with have more success with business users rather than your average home user or family in need of a PC, but I'm sure there is a good market out there for Ubuntu PCs, they'll have to market it well.

Bartender
May 3rd, 2007, 02:37 AM
I know most folks don't care about dial-up, but it's still a big deal to some of us. Wonder if the Dell laptops will come with an internal dial-up modem that works?

billdotson
May 3rd, 2007, 02:44 AM
nope. If I was going to buy a new computer maybe, but not right now. I like to build my own anyway. I also don't see any reason to have more than one PC atm.

Dr. C
May 3rd, 2007, 02:53 AM
I voted no because the Ubuntu Dells will not be sold in Canada. The announcment is only for US customers., since I do not live in the US I cannot buy one.

maniacmusician
May 3rd, 2007, 03:19 AM
Speaking of system76, at least with Dell we'll likely get computers that look like computers and not rocket ships ;).
you're really the only person I've ever seen complain about this :) Most people, myself included, think that the Sys76 computers look quite nice.

Mateo
May 3rd, 2007, 03:21 AM
The general market doesn't like em, otherwise Dell and HP and everyone else would be producing rocket-ship computers too ;)

euler_fan
May 3rd, 2007, 03:27 AM
It would be nice to have a system set up out of the box. On the other hand, I like the HP wide screen and Dell doesn't really have a good powerful workstation-style laptop. They seem to have low end stuff and big gaming rigs, neither of which appeal to me.

steveneddy
May 3rd, 2007, 03:31 AM
I have a System76 lappie at the moment, but will probably buy a Dell near the end of the year. I want to see how they will do with the driver issue and what level laptop they will offer Ubuntu on.

Footissimo
May 3rd, 2007, 03:47 AM
Yes...well I want a laptop and I'd much prefer to spend my money buying something where all the bits definitely work with Ubuntu (and to encourage Dell). Kinda annoying that everyone is talking about the US - does anyone know for sure that this will be a US only offer...also anyone shipped a laptop from the US before (with Dell)?

bobbybobington
May 3rd, 2007, 03:55 AM
As of now I'm torn between system76 and dell. I will have to get more info about the dell computers as it is released, but both have their advantages and disadvantages. My indecision aside, more choice is a good thing.

Raval
May 3rd, 2007, 02:23 PM
Yes...well I want a laptop and I'd much prefer to spend my money buying something where all the bits definitely work with Ubuntu (and to encourage Dell). Kinda annoying that everyone is talking about the US - does anyone know for sure that this will be a US only offer...also anyone shipped a laptop from the US before (with Dell)?

I have, I sell Dell business machines on per order basis, I had to sign a contract that prevents me from selling to countries like Cuba, Iran, North Korea and so on. Dell will not ship outside the US they will ship only to locations in the US and if they realize you are trying to ship to a shipping company they will cancel the order.

Since we are on the topic I sell HP computers too, and general computers accessories as well. can ship world wide. Wire transfer, money orders, pay pal, checks and of course C. Card

el_poderoso
May 8th, 2007, 04:10 AM
I'm a recent Ubuntu convert and this is what I want:

1.) I want to play videos and DVDs without having to play Spy vs. Spy finding the codecs. If this does not work out of the box, why should I buy?

2.) I want my scanner to install easily. Epson offers Linux drivers, but in RPM. This had to be converted to DEB with Alien and 2 separate files had to be installed. Much of this had to be done at the terminal. Took me about 2 hours to figure out and 2 minutes to do. Wouldn't a typical PC user give up at "terminal command? What's a terminal?"

3.) I like free software, but I am willing to pay for my favorites. I'd like to do my taxes with H&R Block or TaxCut, some of us have a zillion hours invested learning Quicken or Quickbooks. As much as I appreciate Jpilot, the real Palm Desktop has features that force me to dust off my laptop every few months. Ditto with iTunes. If I could get Adobe Photoshop (GIMP) and Illustrator (Inkscape) and I would not only chuck my Windows PC in the ash heap today, but I might also consider sending my dually Mac G4 to an early retirement.

Now that OSX is basically Unix with heavy lipstick (it is sweeeet, and demonstrates the potential of Linux, IMHO), me thinks porting driver and popular commercial software titles to both Mac AND Ubuntu, should not be such a big deal.

Which begs the question, perhaps Apple should consider its own distro and call it OSXfree for owners of old G3s, iMacs and G4s. You can get an old iMac for about the same price as a package of Ramen noodles. I'm just sayin.

4.) I'd like VMware and XP installed so I can snort a quick line of MS when I must. We all have our weak moments.

5.) YES, I will probably buy a Dell Linux box if there is a strong advantage over installing my own distro.
6.) IF they get it right, I will do it much sooner.
IF they build an exceptional Linux PC with wireless ethernet/wi-fi, multi-user, VMware preinstalled for the occasion windows peek-a-boo, and all the hardware drivers I can eat--- then it is already sold.

B. Gates
May 8th, 2007, 04:21 AM
Laptops?

I think it'll be easier just to buy Dell outright, then this little adventure can be nipped in the bid pretty quickly. :)

el_poderoso
May 8th, 2007, 04:36 AM
As of now I'm torn between system76 and dell. I will have to get more info about the dell computers as it is released, but both have their advantages and disadvantages. My indecision aside, more choice is a good thing.

What do you know of System76? They seem a tad pricey for the specs (memory/processor/etc) but if it would save me many valuable hours reading a facinating manual, RTFM, then I'd consider it.

aysiu
May 8th, 2007, 04:39 AM
What do you know of System76? They seem a tad pricey for the specs (memory/processor/etc) but if it would save me many valuable hours reading a facinating manual, RTFM, then I'd consider it.
Read this thread:
Please share your experiences with System76
(http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=343798)

Pocadotty
May 8th, 2007, 07:53 AM
I was thinking about buying an Alienware and reformatting before I heard the news... but I changed my mind so dell (and others) can see that there is a market for Ubuntu.... And I likely will save a bunch of money... which is always nice.

user1397
May 8th, 2007, 09:11 PM
I'm a recent Ubuntu convert and this is what I want:

1.) I want to play videos and DVDs without having to play Spy vs. Spy finding the codecs. If this does not work out of the box, why should I buy?

2.) I want my scanner to install easily. Epson offers Linux drivers, but in RPM. This had to be converted to DEB with Alien and 2 separate files had to be installed. Much of this had to be done at the terminal. Took me about 2 hours to figure out and 2 minutes to do. Wouldn't a typical PC user give up at "terminal command? What's a terminal?"

3.) I like free software, but I am willing to pay for my favorites. I'd like to do my taxes with H&R Block or TaxCut, some of us have a zillion hours invested learning Quicken or Quickbooks. As much as I appreciate Jpilot, the real Palm Desktop has features that force me to dust off my laptop every few months. Ditto with iTunes. If I could get Adobe Photoshop (GIMP) and Illustrator (Inkscape) and I would not only chuck my Windows PC in the ash heap today, but I might also consider sending my dually Mac G4 to an early retirement.

Now that OSX is basically Unix with heavy lipstick (it is sweeeet, and demonstrates the potential of Linux, IMHO), me thinks porting driver and popular commercial software titles to both Mac AND Ubuntu, should not be such a big deal.

Which begs the question, perhaps Apple should consider its own distro and call it OSXfree for owners of old G3s, iMacs and G4s. You can get an old iMac for about the same price as a package of Ramen noodles. I'm just sayin.

4.) I'd like VMware and XP installed so I can snort a quick line of MS when I must. We all have our weak moments.

5.) YES, I will probably buy a Dell Linux box if there is a strong advantage over installing my own distro.
6.) IF they get it right, I will do it much sooner.
IF they build an exceptional Linux PC with wireless ethernet/wi-fi, multi-user, VMware preinstalled for the occasion windows peek-a-boo, and all the hardware drivers I can eat--- then it is already sold.you're saying that you would want ALL of these things included by default in dell's preinstalled ubuntu computers?

That's kinda asking a lot.

If you think about it, not even windows has a lot of stuff preinstalled, at least if you buy any regular windows PC computer with windows pre-installed "OEM"

For example, I had to install flash, java, quicktime, divx, xvid, ogg codecs, realplayer, adobe reader, and a whole bunch of other free apps succh as firefox and cd burner xp pro. not to mention ccleaner, adaware se personal, and avast antivirus.

a50sn95
May 8th, 2007, 10:18 PM
I MIGHT have, until this:
http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?newsID=8771&pagtype=all (http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?newsID=8771&pagtype=all)

Thanks to Dell, Ubuntu has been sold out......

cypherzero
May 8th, 2007, 11:49 PM
I use Windows and Ubuntu.
Ubuntu is free, Windows is expensive.
Windows is cheaper if you buy it preinstalled since it's purchased in bulk.
Ubuntu is still free regardless.
I also don't want to have to bother myself with the Windows installer.

jiminycricket
May 8th, 2007, 11:51 PM
I can't :( Only US.

I could buy from System 76 though. Only if they offer Intel gfx cards though, I'll have to research...

jiminycricket
May 8th, 2007, 11:54 PM
I MIGHT have, until this:
http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?newsID=8771&pagtype=all (http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?newsID=8771&pagtype=all)

Thanks to Dell, Ubuntu has been sold out......

That's only Novell though...if people opt to buy Ubuntu instead, we could prove the opposite to Microsoft. Novell's own customers didn't want that patent deal, MS just brought it up to them last minute.

And boy, have they stretched it out into something...gotta give MS lawyers credit, no?

aysiu
I can't :( Only US.

I could buy from System 76 though. Only if they offer Intel gfx cards though, I'll have to research...
Nope. System76 is US only as well.

You may be able to find a Linux vendor for your country here, though:
Companies selling preinstalled Linux and no-OS (http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/23168/)

earobinson
Chances are Ill be getting another dell laptop when I replace mine.

jiminycricket
May 8th, 2007, 11:55 PM
Oh, thank aysiu..I thought they shipped to Canada, too. sniff.

earobinson
May 8th, 2007, 11:55 PM
Nope. System76 is US only as well.

You may be able to find a Linux vendor for your country here, though:
Companies selling preinstalled Linux and no-OS (http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/23168/)
Im told they ship to canada also :), You just have to call in your order.

aysiu
May 8th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Whoops! Spoke too soon. Canada is cool:
FREE GROUND SHIPPING:
Free shipping only applies to addresses within the US and for orders over $800. At checkout we also offer Next Day and 2nd Day shipping upgrade options.

We only ship to within the United States and Canada.

Exact shipping and handling costs are calculated at checkout. Notebooks and Desktops are custom built for each order and ship within ten business days after placing an order. All other items typically ship within 48 hours. Once an order has shipped you will be notified via email of the tracking information. If you have any questions regarding shipping please email sales@system76.com. From http://system76.com/information.php?info_id=2

dangerousnerd
May 9th, 2007, 01:25 AM
I really want to support this kind of action by a corporation. This is a big step in the right direction. That being said, I'm all filled up on computers at the moment. But next time I need one...

Dude, I'm getting a Dell.

defishguy
May 12th, 2007, 01:55 PM
I have a thirty day old Aspire that I am going to sell and pitch in the balance to purchase a Dell relatively shortly after they make their product available. I have never purchased a Dell before, but I fell obligated to put my money where my mouth has been. I'm one of the thousands that claimed that I wanted Ubuntu factory installed and Dell listened. I'm not saying they did it because of me, but they are doing it FOR me and the rest of us that said we wanted it.

The truth is that if we want continued progress we have to show that we are legitimate customers and not just people that refer to Microsoft as Micro$oft and rant about DRM.

Schalken
May 13th, 2007, 03:36 AM
I would love to buy a Dell as my next computer with Ubuntu if it means that all of the hardware will work perfectly with it. However, friends say that is unlikely to be the case. :???:

ihavenoname
May 13th, 2007, 07:27 AM
I'm thinking of buying a dell, but I don't know about a few things,

What I am looking at is the inpiron 1405 because I hear it has amazing battery life (then again, I heard that from dell) I also heard it was Durable.

Also, I play games sometimes, will that one suffice? If not how's the battery life on the 1505 models?

The thing that keeps me from dell is that they are mainly an online company, so if I have a problem I have to send it to them. DO I pay for shipping? And how good is there customer support? This is one major thing that is keeping me looking more at the compaqs.

I'm also looking into other laptops (hp/compaq mainly)

I'm looking for "the impossible" A laptop with good batter like (4 hours+ with wifi, Inspiron says it can hit 8:32 with the 9-cell.) This is for class. But also, one that can play games (not on max or anything) fairly well.

I'm caught between the amd x2 T50 the pentium dual-core I don't know which has better battery life/ performance ratio. i would get a core 2 duo but that usually make the price go up pretty high.

lepz
May 13th, 2007, 10:10 AM
If or when Dell decide to sell in the UK, then yes I would consider a new laptop, depending on the specs.

darksong
May 13th, 2007, 10:22 AM
I would personally prefer it to have Windows or WinXP disks on it to start off so i have the option. I have Ubuntu disks @ home, so unless it knocks money off i see no point.

lepz
May 13th, 2007, 12:08 PM
I would personally prefer it to have Windows or WinXP disks on it to start off so i have the option. I have Ubuntu disks @ home, so unless it knocks money off i see no point.

Are you sure your in the right forum? ;)

jkblacker
May 13th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Well I already have a Dell laptop (inspiron 6000) that works fine, but my next computer will probably be a self-built desktop.

AndyCooll
May 13th, 2007, 02:23 PM
When I buy a new laptop I will buy one that I know works with Linux, and preferably from a company that actively supports Linux. This therefore doesn't necessarily mean I'll choose Dell. However when they starting selling their Ubuntu laptops in the UK I will certainly be making them one of my possible purchase options.

:cool:

Enverex
May 13th, 2007, 02:27 PM
I just bought an Inspiron 6400 but I wasn't too bothered about anything coming with Linux because I know its parts (other than the ATi card) are compatible. Desktop wise I build my own machines, so I get whatever I want with that. It would on the other hand, have been nice to have an option NOT to have XP come with the laptop and knock some more off the price.

Why limit yourself to only Dell when other vendors are selling laptops that are perfectly Linux compatible anyway?

DUDE_2000
May 13th, 2007, 04:36 PM
I probably won't , partly because I'm nearly penniless, and because I like to mess around with the install my self
but if they are A. cheaper than ones with windows, or B. Allow you to install/ muck up the partitioning yourself
I might consider it

Schalken
May 14th, 2007, 07:26 AM
It would on the other hand, have been nice to have an option NOT to have XP come with the laptop and knock some more off the price. Where I got this computer from, they advertised the price of computers without Windows, so when I found out Windows will cost extra, I thought it would be a great time to try Linux first.

That was over a year ago, and I havn't taken Windows seriously since.
Why limit yourself to only Dell when other vendors are selling laptops that are perfectly Linux compatible anyway? Such as?

Enverex
May 14th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Such as?

... you expect me to scour every laptop on the market? Heh.

All you need to do is get a rough idea or what works and what doesn't and go from there. Take my 6 year old Clevo/Sager laptop, it's not advertised to work with Linux but every component in it does happily, the same with my mom's Thinkpad we brought her.

moffatt666
May 14th, 2007, 04:01 PM
I'll be getting a Dell laptop with Ubuntu when I start my new job.

Syke
May 14th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Why limit yourself to only Dell when other vendors are selling laptops that are perfectly Linux compatible anyway?
Such as?

Here's a list of many vendors preloading Linux on laptops.

http://lxer.com/module/db/viewby.php?uid=124&sort=120&option=1&value=on&offset=0&dbn=14

Henry Rayker
May 14th, 2007, 04:54 PM
I wouldn't buy because I prefer to build my own machines...an old habit that actually started because I hated getting loads of software I didn't want (AOL trials, trial for this, crippled version of that) as well as I hated the fact that they never wanted to give me a full version of Windows.

I will suggest it to other people, after showing them my machine and giving them a decent talk about hardware and software compatibility issues. Anytime I talk to someone about this kind of thing, I try to be as clear as I can about the fact that you can't just go buy hardware or software and expect them to work. Odds are, the hardware will work, but you just can't be sure.

BarfBag
May 14th, 2007, 05:27 PM
I wish this poll was multiple choice. I don't think I'll ever buy a commercial desktop PC. Building one yourself is the way to go. However, I would look into buying an Ubuntu laptop from them (after comparing them with System 76 and IBM). I would also recommend them to friends and family in a heart beat.

califman831
May 21st, 2007, 04:07 AM
486 p/50 i486DX2
50 MHZ System

* Lease $112/month
* Uses Intel Speed Doubler Technology
* 4MB RAM
* 230 MB Hard Drive
* Dual Floppy Drives
* Ultrascan 14c Color Monitor (1024x768 )
* MS Dos 5
* Microsoft Windows 3
* Microsoft Mouse

DELL ran the ad on June 1992, Computer Shopper Magazine and avertised at $2,999

oskarloko
May 21st, 2007, 02:48 PM
Inspiron 1505
Dimension E520
XPS 410

That's all for now folks. And only in USA

A small step for Dell, a great step to Linux

But I didn't expect to be so small... It feels like Dell is a little frigthened to a bad reception of Ubuntu computers

Also, it's a complex and risky initiative, and that for a company which have poor finantial results.

But, I think they will make - not very much really - a good deal with these ones; and they can expand Ubuntu onto other models and other countrys. ( Well, I'm really expecting that)

Pd. excuse my poor english

ablaze
May 21st, 2007, 02:54 PM
Won't be able to buy one as they are not available in Europe (yet?).

aysiu
May 21st, 2007, 08:48 PM
Dell's posted some more technical details on its blog:
http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2007/05/21/15563.aspx

mo_roodi
May 21st, 2007, 09:43 PM
Honestly I think it's brilliant that Dell has taken note of what it's customers are demanding. Second I think it's great that Dell's customers are open/smart/informed enough to realise there's an alternative out there Windows.

Lets be honest, this can only be good for Linux as a whole, not just whatever distro Dell decide to use (last I heard they hadn't decided yet - although Ubuntu was a definite consideration). It means that hardware manufacturers might take note and come up with better hardware support (yes I know it would mean proprietary drivers, but so what?). It could mean that software houses will start to look at cross platform applications, more applications available for Linux.

Hopefully it'll mean that the already vibrant Linux community can only get bigger and better... And maybe it'll dint the dominance of Microsoft enough for them to realise that if there's an equal alternative out there people will take note (I say equal because there's no way I can judge what's better for me is necessarily better for everyone).

M

Edit - Actually reading up it looks like Dell will be offering Ubuntu...

ccfromnj
June 7th, 2007, 08:55 PM
:KS:KS I just ordered my Laptop today !!!

E1505N
Intel® Core™ processor DUO processor T2350 2MB Cache/1.86GHz, Ubuntu Edition version 7.04
Inspiron E1505 Intel® Core™ processor DUO processor T2350 2MB Cache/1.86GHz
LCD Panel 15.4 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen WXGA+ Display with TrueLife™
Memory 1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz, 2 Dimm
Video Card 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7300 TurboCache™
Hard Drive 80GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
Operating System Ubuntu Edition version 7.04
CD ROM/DVD ROM 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
Sound Options Integrated Audio
Wireless Networking Cards Intel PRO/Wireless 3945a/g
Primary Battery 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
Environmental Options Support Reforestation: Plant a Tree for Me
Processor Branding Intel Centrino Core Duo Processor

With the $200 off and the free shipping plus tax, it was just under $1000

ccfromnj
June 19th, 2007, 10:56 AM
I got it, a week ahead of its 'Estimated Ship Date', and it ROCKS ! :p:p:p

Does more than 'just work'.

Thank you Ubuntu, Dell, and everyone !

jusmurph
June 19th, 2007, 11:32 AM
I came to Linux because i like to tinker.

For the same reason i build my own pcs.

Nick Rivers
June 26th, 2007, 09:52 AM
I just took delivery of my brand spanking new Ubuntu Dell E520N w/ Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB SATA, Nvidia GeForce 7300 and 22" digital flatpanel. What can i say? IT RAWKS!!! :guitar:

I absofreakinlutely LOVE IT! :) I feel somewhat redeemed after being suckered into upgrading to Vista a few months ago - WHAT A BLOATED PIECE OF DRM CRAPWARE!! Upgrading to Vista is the straw that broke this camel's back. I got so disgusted that I switched my "old" HP a1473w to Ubuntu and put it in the den to replace the old POS Windows box my family was using and then ordered my Ubuntu Dell. I ordered it on a Thursday and it arrived the following Monday. *awesome*

Once I had it set up, I powered on, did the first-run wizard and !!BAM!! I was running Ubuntu.

BTW - did I mention that IT RAWKS?!? :guitar:

BigSilly
June 26th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but was Ubuntu pre-installed on the PC, or did you just get the disc? I'm sure I read somewhere that you have to perform the install yourself, and though I don't mind doing that myself, there are loads of PC buyers that want it already on there. It'd be a shame if Dell didn't pre-install it for the masses! ;)

steven8
June 26th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but was Ubuntu pre-installed on the PC, or did you just get the disc? I'm sure I read somewhere that you have to perform the install yourself, and though I don't mind doing that myself, there are loads of PC buyers that want it already on there. It'd be a shame if Dell didn't pre-install it for the masses! ;)

It comes pre-installed and tested. That is the boon of these machines!! :D

Nick Rivers
June 26th, 2007, 10:09 AM

It shipped with an Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty installation disc, but Ubuntu was preinstalled. All I had to do was turn the computer on, go through the first-run wizard (language/timezone prefs, setup user account, etc.) and then the computer booted right into Ubuntu 7.04. :D

BigSilly
June 26th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Ah that's excellent, thanks for the replies guys.

I was having a discussion on another forum, and this guy was convinced that it didn't come pre-installed and you had to install it yourself. He also said that the Dell Ubuntu PC's were "£200 dearer than the Windows equivalents"!! I don't know where people hear these things from, I really don't.

I do hope though, that Dell here in the UK follow the US example and bring us Linux PC's. I would definitely buy one for my next system when this one gives up the ghost.

Alterax
June 27th, 2007, 07:23 AM
At home, I roll my own computers. Laptops are another story; I've had good luck with Apple (G4/PPC) and Lenovo, but I'm interested in Dell's offerings.

Work is another story. We are a mixed shop, but we mainly use Dell and Lenovo PCs. We are about to do our first run of Ubuntu desktops, so I'll keep you posted on how that goes.

Fenryr
June 27th, 2007, 07:42 AM
I already run Ubuntu on THIS laptop, the missus has an XP laptop and isn't interested in switching, and the teenager out back has his own machine, which I'm always having to 'fix', but he ALSO insists on Window$....

tehhaxorr
June 27th, 2007, 11:35 AM
I bought a dell in New Zealand (Which currently does not offer linux) because of the initiative in the US, i emailed Dell telling them that i bought the laptop only because they now supported Linux. I was initially going to buy an HP before the press release confirmed it.

It's a good laptop, no regrets here.

ksudbury
October 9th, 2007, 03:26 AM
Dell are shipping Ubuntu in the UK :D

A few of my client's have ordered Ubuntu pre installed.

multifaceted
October 9th, 2007, 06:04 AM
Possibly, as long as they work right out of the box. Not that I mind finagling a machine to do what I want but... if I am dishing out good money for a Linux optimized system, I expect it to work.

ZaReason looks pretty cool too but, how is their credibility rated?

southernman
October 9th, 2007, 10:36 AM
I'm looking into buying my first new laptop and would like to support Dells decision to start preloading Linux... I am having a hard time though justifying spending a few hundred dollars more, just to do so. I'd much rather cut a check to Canonical for the difference saved by buying a Windows machine... and asking for a refund of the OS cost.

No decision final though, I may go ahead with the linuxy dell just to back it. *shrugs*

The Grum
October 9th, 2007, 11:49 AM
I dont know about elsewhere, but in the UK the Dell Ubuntu laptop is pretty decent compared to the same model with Vista.

Both have identical hardware (Inspiron 8600) and same warranty on the hardware. The only differences are:

Vista (£359): Screen has "TrueLife" enchancement and is bundled with the ever-funnily-named MS Works.

Ubuntu (£329): Wireless card is Intel Pro 3945 instead of dell-branded card.

vishzilla
October 9th, 2007, 01:24 PM
if i had to choose a laptop, i may go for Dell. for a desktop, i prefer to build my own

Kappity
October 20th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Not at this point. Just don't need a new computer right now. When the time does come, it will be a decision between another Mac or something with Linux, with price being a consideration. Windows is not likely. I'd rather *not* build my own computer, although I do seem to end up modifying most of them. So a Dell with Ubuntu would be a real possibility when the time comes. Or who knows, maybe Walmart will be selling Acers with Suse in a couple of years. ;)

crimesaucer
October 20th, 2007, 02:01 AM
By the time I can afford a new computer, there will hopefully be a few more companies that have a version of Linux installed on them... but if it's still only a few like Dell or Lenovo, I will support one of them for sure.

Depressed Man
October 20th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Desktop: No. I build my computers.

Laptop: Maybe. I recently got this laptop (back in Janurary) and it's suppose to last me till I finish graduate school. By then I'd likely buy another laptop and it may be a Dell (depending on how the reports go). May also buy a Macbook Pro depending on its hardware. Though if I do that I'd likely shrink the OSX partition, throw Ubuntu on there as well as Windows whatever.

cappii
October 20th, 2007, 02:07 AM
howdy from Texas :) . Just for kicks today, I installed Ubuntu Gutsy on a MacBook. I had to replace the hard drive, so I did it. Had to clone over it, because it is owned by a school, and used by a teacher. Anyways...as far as buying a Dell... no thank you. I appreciate Dell for offering Linux, and if I could afford a new computer from a manufacturer, I'd look at Dell first for that. However, I really don't like them as a company. I like to build my own systems. All three of my desktops are hand built, and are running Gutsy. My laptop is a Gateway that I purchased as a refurb from Tiger Direct. Don't know why I would stop building my own anytime soon.:guitar:

Depressed Man
October 20th, 2007, 02:58 AM
For me it'd all come down to how well supported is it. If I can get better Ubuntu support in a Macbook Pro vs a comparable Dell laptop then I'd have to go with the Macbook Pro. I would at least hope that a Dell sold laptop with Ubuntu preinstalled would have everything working (webcam, mic, a card reader if there's one, finger print scanner, whatever).

Linuxratty
November 7th, 2007, 01:57 AM
If dell offers the systems at a decent rate then yes I'll get me a dell dude.

Just got one with Ubuntu this week. I'm posting with it now.

mikeize
November 7th, 2007, 02:05 AM
It's hard not to buy a dell, considering bang for the buck... and that's why my laptop is a dell. However, I think it's ugly and shoddily made, and customer service sucks. I now prefer building my own desktop, and I would definitely spend a bit more next time to get a higher quality laptop (maybe toshiba).

-mike

AndyCooll
November 7th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Just got one with Ubuntu this week. I'm posting with it now.
Yeah, me too. Bought two, one for myself and one for the missus.

It's hard not to buy a dell, considering bang for the buck... and that's why my laptop is a dell. However, I think it's ugly and shoddily made, and customer service sucks. I now prefer building my own desktop, and I would definitely spend a bit more next time to get a higher quality laptop (maybe toshiba).

I too would probably have considered an alternative if I was rolling in cash (my work laptop is a Lenovo ThinkPad and I really like these). However as you point out "considering the bang for buck", and when buying two as I have done, they're very good value. I compared a number of other laptops in the same price range but none of the others compared favourably.

So far I'm very happy with my choice and everything works out-of-the-box. Previously I was using a couple of hand-me-down old Toshiba Satellite's so when it comes to design and build perhaps I'm easy to please (not that there's anything wrong with Toshiba, merely that those laptops were ageing and therefore anything new is a vast improvement). However the design of my Dell Inspiron 6400's seems fine to me, and since they have all the functions and buttons I require I have no complaints.

:cool:

OrangeCrate
November 7th, 2007, 09:14 PM
I have one, a 530N, and would recommend it to anyone.