PDA

View Full Version : Install-fest announcement content

kejava
May 1st, 2007, 09:20 PM
Ok guys/gals, here's my first stab at the install-fest announcement content. I'm trying to keep it generic enough for use in radio broadcasts, mailing lists, and flyers. Please be very critical, I'm not that sensitive. I'll get this onto a separate wiki page once i figure out how...

******** START ********

Ubuntu Install-Fest June 2, 2007

You may have heard about Ubuntu. You wanted to try it but didn't know where to begin. Are you sick of computer viruses, malware, spyware, and constant hardware upgrades? Come to our install-fest and let our volunteers help you become a part of this amazing computing phenomenon by installing Ubuntu Linux on your PC.

Ubuntu is a community developed Linux-based operating system that is perfect for laptops, desktops, or servers. When you install Ubuntu, you have access to thousands of open source software packages which cost you nothing! Whether you want to surf the web, listen to music, watch a movie, or create a presentation, you can do it with Ubuntu! Whether it is for home or office, Ubuntu can do it all.

This free service is provide by Philadelphia's local community of Ubuntu users and NTR's gracious use of their warehouse. There is a limited amount of space so make sure to register at meetlinux.com for one of our sessions!

Where: Nonprofit Technology Resources, 1524 Brandywine Street, Philadelphia PA 19130
When: June 2, 2007, three 2 hr sessions: 10a-12p; 12:30p-2:30p; 3p-5p
How: Go to meetlinux.com for registration and details

******** STOP ********

bfledderjohn
May 2nd, 2007, 12:04 AM
I would change the second paragraph to read something like:

Ubuntu is a community developed Linux-based operating system that is perfect for laptops, desktops, or servers. When you install Ubuntu, you have access to thousands of open source software packages which cost you nothing! Whether you want to surf the web, listen to music, watch a movie, or create a presentation, you can do it with Ubuntu! Whether it is for home or office, Ubuntu can do it all.

I don't know that was the first thing that struck me... I'll mull it over a bit to see if something better comes across, but overall I think you have the right idea.

jsma
May 2nd, 2007, 01:03 AM
You might add something to capitalize on the widespread frustrations with spyware and viruses that only exist on a certain *cough* other platform. So maybe just add onto the already suggested angle of 'ubuntu can do it all' ...'while keeping your computer secure and free from annoying spyware and viruses'.

$0.02

kejava
May 2nd, 2007, 01:04 AM
hmm, i like your version. seems much smoother. i'll add the changes.

lamalex
May 2nd, 2007, 02:07 AM
I like to avoid mention of cost, before free software, i pretty much assumed if something was free then it wasn't as good as something i could pay for. not always true (obviously) but it's popped into my mind before and I know many people who think that way.

elizabeth
May 2nd, 2007, 09:23 PM
I just printed up the draft to hand out at PLUG tonight since it's the last Central meeting before the Fest - I added a line just under the title saying "Presented by the Pennsylvania Ubuntu LoCo Team" - since I think it's nice for people to get to know who we are by name

(And no worries, I also added a note about this being a DRAFT) :)

kejava
May 2nd, 2007, 09:30 PM
You may also want to mention that the Registration page will not be up until somewhere aroud the middle of next week. Alex and Andy are doing this part but have finals this week.

kejava
May 3rd, 2007, 07:04 PM
After last night's meeting, it seemed as though everyone was satisfied with the content for the announcement. Based on JoeT's suggestions, I made a Philly Install-Fest (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PennsylvaniaTeam/Philly/InstallFest/) wiki page for it. I suggested to Alex that we link to it from meetlinux.com. And then link back to the meetlinux.com for the registration process when it's been completed.

We'll clean this up as we go. We just need to start advertising ASAP. What matters is that we're pointing people initially to meetlinux.com in our flyers and mailing lists.

What does the group think?

PS: the bottom of the page is where you, the volunteers and loco members, sign up for your sessions.

lamalex
May 3rd, 2007, 09:30 PM
Just so everyone knows, I'm in the process of setting up an update mirror for the install fest so that we can get people set up with updates, there aren't that many for feisty yet but it'll save ntr the bandwidth.

kejava
May 4th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Wow, that mirror is going to be cool. I look forward to seeing how you do it.