PDA

View Full Version : what will you do if most of time is free

kdragon
May 1st, 2007, 06:01 PM
is anybody here in my case,free all day long: no work,no study,no friend,no outdoor activities,no interaction (sometimes with family members).Just spend time surfing web,chatting by typing,no voice,webcam.

It has been for near 1 year

If you were me,what will you do in order to quit :(

dhughes
May 1st, 2007, 06:04 PM
I know how you feel, I'm not exactly the life of t he party.

There was a Hawaiian themed party at a bar my employer put on, free booze, girls from work etc. I didn't go :(

Sometimes you have to kick yourself in the backside and get out there, get off the web and do something before it's too late, time is the most valuable thing you can have.

Tomosaur
May 1st, 2007, 06:27 PM
Sitting inside all the time just isn't healthy. You really need to go outside and enjoy the sun (all the weather, in fact, it's all good :P), explore places etc. You'll feel a lot better if you just take a long walk around. If there's a reason for you being shut inside, such as poor health or whatever, then you should get in touch with your doctor and see if he/she knows of any organisations which help housebound people get out every once in a while. There are quite a few available, it's mostly elderly people who use them but I think they should be open to anyone really. I guess you'd meet some people through that. Otherwise you can just start interacting with your family more - you can go out with them, meet new people etc.

If it's not poor health, and you're just an introvert - then you should just go out on your own. You don't 'need' to meet people, but you can if you want to.

You should definately aim to get outside for a few hours every day at least.

lukew
May 1st, 2007, 06:51 PM
Keep busy; keep active. In these situations you can be your own worse enemy.

whee
May 1st, 2007, 06:57 PM
I'm not saying you have to do anything, unless maybe the life you lead causes you depression or general unhappyness.
Depression can also be dependant on things like how much daylight you receive or the type of food you eat and interaction with people in general, colleagues, classmates, friends or just people in general.
I agree it's not always fun outside there in that big blue room and some people don't always act nicely, be it at work, school or in public.
Maybe if you like computing or art, then you could start a company within that field?
How about painting, drawing or sculpting?
Also if you have some money you could go to a theater and catch some cultural vibe or something.
I one day went to a theater show of traditional Japanese drum artists:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aGAHEuk39qY (They tour the world)

It might not look like it's very fun on a small youtube screen, but when i was actually there the drums were so loud that it vibrated the air in my lungs, it's quite mesmerizing.

In my opinion you have to watch out for depression, because the human brain is able to receive and crave for chemicals of a wide range of emotions. If you get too much of a certain emotion like sadness for example, then your brain is able to reconfigure itself and evolve to a brain that craves for the chemicals which are released during periods of sadness. If this happens less receptors in the brain are able to receive chemicals which are released during periods of happiness. And that's when a person can get caught in a cycle.
I'm not a doctor or scientist though, i just saw this in a documentary.

Maybe joining a club could help you get social interaction and social contacts and maybe even friends.
I know that could sound like a dull idea, but it's often more fun then one initially thinks.
It's important you choose a topic you like and of which you think would atract like minded people.

When i was a kid i used to be a member of a plastic modeling club, where i made airplanes and stuff like that. (Example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:South-Goodwin.jpg )
To some people that might sound dull, but i had the greatest fun and i found the people to be very cool and altruistic.

Also maybe getting a job to earn some money could also help. Money itself doesn't necessarily make a human happy, but the lack of it could be a cause of unhappiness i guess.

If you do make social contacts and friends, allow yourself to be picky....in my opinion it's better to have 1 to 3 really good friends, than a dozen superficial friends.

Going to a cinema every once and a while can also be great fun, although i guess it's more fun if you go with a friend(s).

Though i guess one can also be happy when being alone in life, simply trying to do the things one loves and leading a humble and quiet, yet happy life.

kdragon
May 1st, 2007, 07:20 PM
i really appreciate every quick suggestion,especially Whee

there are something exact as you said,i used to talk a lot 1 years ago,sometime my lecturers complain my parent about this.When i graduated high school,i failed entering the university,i just stayed at home surfed web until now.

and now when i communicate with another ppls,even old friend or strange ppls,i rarely talk anything, they said i changed too much,no more a talkative guy they know. I dont know why but i cant think anything to talk to them,even my buddies. I go out with them but they talked,i listened,no talking

I also think about find a part time job to quit this situation but i'm afraid of communication, i just say "ok, uhm " when they talk to me.And although i'm 19,i've never ever done any part time jobs before.Is it normal ???

may be i'm in trouble

ps: i used to a fan of drawing ,but when using computer,no more drawing 5 years ago

look like the impact of computer on me influentially, but i cant stop using computer,without it I dont know what to do to kill spare time...

karellen
May 1st, 2007, 07:43 PM
i really appreciate every quick suggestion,especially Whee

there are something exact as you said,i used to talk a lot 1 years ago,sometime my lecturers complain my parent about this.When i graduated high school,i failed entering the university,i just stayed at home surfed web until now.

and now when i communicate with another ppls,even old friend or strange ppls,i rarely talk anything, they said i changed too much,no more a talkative guy they know. I dont know why but i cant think anything to talk to them,even my buddies. I go out with them but they talked,i listened,no talking

I also think about find a part time job to quit this situation but i'm afraid of communication, i just say "ok, uhm " when they talk to me.And although i'm 19,i've never ever done any part time jobs before.Is it normal ???

may be i'm in trouble

ps: i used to a fan of drawing ,but when using computer,no more drawing 5 years ago

look like the impact of computer on me influentially, but i cant stop using computer,without it I dont know what to do to kill spare time...

find something that you really like and do it. keep on going. read, lear new things, meet people, change opinions, stroll, chat, write a cv and apply for a job, study something, enter a university. it's never too late if you feel like you still have energy and enthusiasm and willingness to continue your life, maybe even improve it...
computers are nice and interesting, but they don't mean the entire world. and they can't replace the real people. I spend much time on my pc but I prefer anytime to be with my girlfriend instead of starring at at a cold monitor screen :)

fearevilleet
May 1st, 2007, 07:46 PM
depression sucks, and sometimes we can only find comfort in our computers. Everything that was posted here is an excellent suggestion, but sometimes lifes issues just seem too much to bear alone. I would recommended that you see a doctor about this issue. Talking to a professional about these issues can give you an outside point of view. They might also be able to prescribe you anti-depressants. The meds can help you feel better and get on with your life. Recently I started working, and I must say--- it really dose help with the depression. It gets you away from your box and within a few months you will be in better shape.

I know it seems almost impossible, but you can pick up the pieces and get on with your life, start out with baby steps.

karellen
May 1st, 2007, 07:54 PM
depression sucks, and sometimes we can only find comfort in our computers. Everything that was posted here is an excellent suggestion, but sometimes lifes issues just seem too much to bear alone. I would recommended that you see a doctor about this issue. Talking to a professional about these issues can give you an outside point of view. They might also be able to prescribe you anti-depressants. The meds can help you feel better and get on with your life. Recently I started working, and I must say--- it really dose help with the depression. It gets you away from your box and within a few months you will be in better shape.

I know it seems almost impossible, but you can pick up the pieces and get on with your life, start out with baby steps.

amen :)

proalan
May 1st, 2007, 07:55 PM
I was a college drop out at 18, was in the situation you are in now, except i was playing computer games all the time. I was pretty much doing nothing for a year, then i realised that i wanted to go university so i went back to college for a year to redo my courses. At the time it was to prove to myself what i knew all along the intelligence was there all that was lacking was the dedication. 3 years later i graduated from university with a computer science degree.

I don't pretend that it was all joy, I went through all the emotions, put on weight lost weight, started smoking and only recently quit (2 years now). I've worked minimum wage jobs and really well paid jobs, been unemployed at times. We've all been in that situation sooner or later you'll realise yourself what you need to do.

In life I've been as much a faliure as I've succeeded

Tomosaur
May 1st, 2007, 08:20 PM
I'd hesitate to you say you're depressed, kdragon, but it does sound like you've dug yourself into a bit of a rut. I had a similar phase a while back where I became very introverted, and people did notice it and get worried about me, but that period of my life was pretty sad, so the way I see it it was only to be expected. Anyway, I don't necessarily feel bad any more, but I'm still pretty quiet and tend to keep to myself. I think you just learn habits and behaviours during these times, which are difficult to break out of. I get very anxious around people, and I feel paranoid and, frankly, like I just want to get away from them. I'm getting better though, I think the only way out of it is just to go and do exactly the thing you're trying your best not not to do. You need to confront your anxieties so that you can regain your confidence. It won't happen overnight, and sometimes you'll miss being comfortable in your misery, but you've just got to do these things. Humans just aren't meant to live indoors, we're really, really bad at it.

prizrak
May 1st, 2007, 09:35 PM
Become a rally driver (always wanted to but obviously with having a job and stuff it's impossible)

whee
May 1st, 2007, 09:48 PM
The fear of social situations is called social anxiety.( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_anxiety )
It's quite a common thing.
Though i want to be careful with throwing around terms like depression or social anxiety, because i'm not qualified in this field.
There can be many reasons or maybe it's just how life is sometimes, sort of a phase in one's life where one is alone allot.
I also don't want to necessarily say living on one's own is bad or good.
Some people can be quite happy when they are on their own, doing their own stuff.
What is important in my opinion is one's happiness and wellbeing or at least some sort of (healthy?) balance of emotions in life. (Though this probably sounds easier than it is)