PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite KDE distro?

soulfly7x
May 1st, 2007, 05:51 PM
I'm new to anything outside of Windows, but in the few weeks of experimenting I have done, it seems like I like KDE better than GNOME. I frequently see in the forums that people say that Kubuntu is not very good as a KDE based distro, but I rarely see what ones they think are better, and more than that, Why they're better than Kubuntu.

So, I throw it out to you. What KDE distro do you like best, and what features does it have that make it so great? (I'm not being snide, I really want to know) Enlighten me. I'll try a few of them out based on recommendations, and based on the features you like, if they seem like ones I will like too.

Thanks.

lzfy
May 1st, 2007, 06:01 PM
If you want to use Kubuntu then use Feisty because it's the best KDE release so far. I also have good experiences with Pardus (http://www.pardus.org.tr/eng/index.html)
Best thing about Kubuntu is that it has a lot of packages and support. That's the reason why I returned to Kubuntu.

ComplexNumber
May 1st, 2007, 06:17 PM
i think the best one without a doubt is PCLinuxOS.

-nicest default look
-codecs included
-excellent central admin tools

Somenoob
May 1st, 2007, 06:24 PM
PCLinuxOS

fuscia
May 1st, 2007, 06:46 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=270465

this might be useful to you, as well...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=277090&highlight=kde-core

awakatanka
May 1st, 2007, 09:43 PM
Mepis (http://www.mepis.org) , its debian/ubuntu based, Everything works out of the box. Good community and the dev people interact with there users even the founder does.

KDE version is a little behind because they use dapper repo's and wanted stabilty over bleeding edge but they also have newer packages that buntu's dapper don't have.

Trying vectorlinux (http://www.vectorlinux.com) atm and its bleeding edge but the packages aren't that big.

Quillz
May 1st, 2007, 09:47 PM
I like Kubuntu and openSUSE best.

Bloodfen Razormaw
May 1st, 2007, 10:38 PM
I recommend Debian for any desktop. The default install options will give you a complete desktop environment with both KDE and GNOME out of the box, with the best polish and stability you can find.

Phatfiddler
May 1st, 2007, 11:40 PM
pcBSD, of course:twisted: You never said it had to be Linux! But seriously:

1) pcBSD
2) PcLinuxOS
3) Kubuntu
4) Debian with KDE

Bartender
May 2nd, 2007, 02:26 AM
I think the Mint Linux KDE full version (too big for a CD, you gotta burn the download to a DVD) is pretty snazzy. Don't know why they didn't include OpenOffice, though. Used KOffice instead, which I understand to be inferior.

diskotek
May 2nd, 2007, 02:34 AM
Pardus & SuSE (with kde) worked for me nice...
i could never install kubuntu on my computers
(i just tried those three, i'm not counting Mandrake!)

but i must admit that i don't like kde as much as i love gnome

soulfly7x
May 2nd, 2007, 02:40 AM
Lots of votes for PCLOS. I'll have to give that another look. I didn't even bother with it. I got turned off instantly before because the default look on the live CD was "Windows clone." Hideous. Just hideous.

I know, I know. I can change the look in 30 seconds or less, but marketing is important, and the message I got was, "you won't know it's not Windows."

A little more on What you like about the suggested distros, please. Thanks for all your input. :)

raymac46
May 2nd, 2007, 03:58 AM
PCLOS seems to be the best KDE distro for users migrating from Windows; however, I enjoyed playing around with MEPIS 6.5 very much.
But my favorite desktop is still Gnome so I keep coming back to Ubuntu. It just feels right.

soulfly7x
May 2nd, 2007, 04:28 AM
my favorite desktop is still Gnome so I keep coming back to Ubuntu. It just feels right.

Not that I won't ever give GNOME another chance, but here's my experience - and of course it might just be MY crappy old computer - But! Video on GNOME looks absolutely atrocious. Video in KDE looks gorgeous. The difference, and again, maybe it's only on my computer that this is true, the difference is astonishing.

It's also possible that it's not just me and that is why all the supposed graphics drivers gripes. I also have Kubuntu Feisty on a newer laptop, which also looks outstanding on the "dreaded" ATI Radeon video card, using the out of the box default driver, and it looks fantastic. I have exactly zero reason to mess with the graphics driver in Kubuntu.

I don't know which it is, but I suspect something about Totem handles graphics poorly and Xine handles it better. Or - maybe it's just MY computers. *shrugs* Anyhoo, I'm sticking with KDE for now.

davtaine
May 2nd, 2007, 05:56 AM
Read my signature.

Ptero-4
May 2nd, 2007, 07:25 AM
Not that I won't ever give GNOME another chance, but here's my experience - and of course it might just be MY crappy old computer - But! Video on GNOME looks absolutely atrocious. Video in KDE looks gorgeous. The difference, and again, maybe it's only on my computer that this is true, the difference is astonishing.

It's also possible that it's not just me and that is why all the supposed graphics drivers gripes. I also have Kubuntu Feisty on a newer laptop, which also looks outstanding on the "dreaded" ATI Radeon video card, using the out of the box default driver, and it looks fantastic. I have exactly zero reason to mess with the graphics driver in Kubuntu.

I don't know which it is, but I suspect something about Totem handles graphics poorly and Xine handles it better. Or - maybe it's just MY computers. *shrugs* Anyhoo, I'm sticking with KDE for now.

It`s not you. Some computers and ISP`s have filters designed to make anything non-M$ ugly or non-functional. Luckily for you the filters seems (like everything at M$) to relay purely on looks, hence it confuses KDE with ******* and stays off as long as you use KDE.

steven8
May 2nd, 2007, 07:27 AM
I like Kubuntu, but I really like PCLOS. It is a sweet distro.

enzobelmont
May 2nd, 2007, 07:37 AM
experts = Gentoo

or

newbie = PCLinuxOS

that's simple.

steven8
May 2nd, 2007, 07:39 AM
experts = Gentoo

or

newbie = PCLinuxOS

that's simple.

And that has exactly 'what' to do with one's favorite KDE distro?

enzobelmont
May 2nd, 2007, 08:21 AM
And that has exactly 'what' to do with one's favorite KDE distro?

i mainly use gentoo, you can compile your own kde (kde4 SVN too)to the latest (and fastest) one, a friend of mine ask me for an easy KDE distro (he's a newbie), i recommended PCLinuxOS, he tried mandriva, PCLinux OS, kubuntu, and the easiest (for him) was PCLinuxOS.

thats my comment.

sorry my english... :)

steven8
May 2nd, 2007, 08:24 AM
i mainly use gentoo, you can compile your own kde (kde4 SVN too)to the latest (and fastest) one, a friend of mine ask me for an easy KDE distro (he's a newbie), i recommended PCLinuxOS, he tried mandriva, PCLinux OS, kubuntu, and the easiest (for him) was PCLinuxOS.

thats my comment.

sorry my english... :)

:) That's cool. PCLinuxOS is a good for newbie distro. It's just that so many people seem snobbish about things like this, that I get a little over-sensitive myself!! Peace, my friend.

raymac46
May 2nd, 2007, 01:16 PM
I never watch video on my PC and I turn off as much eye candy as possible, so the simplicity of Gnome works best for me.
Also I find that Rhythmbox is the best music player I've used in the Linux environment.
The howtos I found in the Ubuntu forum were excellent in helping me set up WPA wireless on my old Dell desktop.

GrueTamer
May 2nd, 2007, 01:19 PM
My favorite KDE distro...Slackware, of course :)