PDA

View Full Version : One man writes Linux drivers for 235+ USB webcams

whee
May 1st, 2007, 04:53 AM
I think this article shows some of the spirit of the people who develop for Linux(in general).
This man does it all for free with no help(money) from any corporation, a silent warrior which is partly responsible for the experience of many of you/us using Linux(distributions).

Article:
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39291

His webcam-driver website:
http://mxhaard.free.fr/index.html

DoctorMO
May 1st, 2007, 05:09 AM
The world is full of people like this.

phrizek
May 1st, 2007, 06:11 AM
This man is a hero.

SZF2001
May 1st, 2007, 07:15 AM
The world is full of people like this.

If this were true, wouldn't we have all the drivers ever necessary ever if a couple thousand people wrote 300 drivers?

Just sayin'.

jariku
May 1st, 2007, 07:31 AM
This man is a hero.
Quoted for truth.

But the thread topic should be changed as 352 is a typo in the original article. It apparently is "only" 253 supported webcams.

steven8
May 1st, 2007, 07:33 AM
Quoted for truth.

But the thread topic should be changed as 352 is a typo in the original article. It apparently is "only" 253 supported webcams.

Slackard! :)

kano
May 1st, 2007, 07:39 AM
I wouldn't have a working webcam if it wasn't for that guy :)

dv_
May 1st, 2007, 12:09 PM
Are these drivers integrated in Feisty?

AmyRose
May 1st, 2007, 12:16 PM
Oh yeah! This guy is a hero. :D Without his work, I wouldn't be able to talk to my friends face to face (since all my friends are on-line).

Are these drivers integrated in Feisty?If you install and use Module Assistant, you can get his drivers. If you need help on this, I can help you.

Teg_Navanis
May 1st, 2007, 12:45 PM
The guy certainly is cool, but the interviewer has serious issues. First he asks some trivial questions (seems more interested in specifics about the ZC0301(P) chipset, which his own webcam uses) and then he goes on a personal rant about the 'big corporations'. That's certainly not the role an interviewer should have.

zachalekos
May 2nd, 2007, 09:35 PM
Oh yeah! This guy is a hero. :D Without his work, I wouldn't be able to talk to my friends face to face (since all my friends are on-line).
If you install and use Module Assistant, you can get his drivers. If you need help on this, I can help you.

Cool. How do you do it?

PriceChild
May 2nd, 2007, 09:50 PM
Yes there are other people in the world like this and they are the reason we have Ubuntu. Thankyou to anyone that gives any of their time towards this.

Are these drivers integrated in Feisty?I'm pretty sure they are yes, mine works fine out of the box :)

The guy certainly is cool, but the interviewer has serious issues. First he asks some trivial questions (seems more interested in specifics about the ZC0301(P) chipset, which his own webcam uses) and then he goes on a personal rant about the 'big corporations'. That's certainly not the role an interviewer should have.The inquirer isn't good... I've had bad experiences with them so I'm biased but meh.

moon2js
May 4th, 2007, 05:42 PM
When I first read about this guy in the news, I got really excited because I have a webcam that's never been supported and I thought maybe he did it. But I checked his list and my Logitech QuickCam Home isn't on there.

I don't use a webcam often enough to warrant buying a new one, and I guess this gives my Windows partition a sense of purpose.