PDA

View Full Version : Will Silverlight Hurt Ubuntu and Linux In General?

Kernel Sanders
May 1st, 2007, 12:55 AM
http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/default01.aspx

Seems that Microsoft is developing its own version of the Adobe Flash plugin, and I have to say, its pretty darn good, and adds a wealth of new features.

BUT, you guessed it, no Linux support, so we miss out :(

So.....how much is this going to hurt? If this takes off, and a raft of Silverlight websites shoot up all around us, wont that hurt Ubuntu and Linux in general?

Thoughts?

Ireclan
May 1st, 2007, 01:11 AM
I think Microsoft does not need anymore control of the software industry then it already has. That being said, I hope this "Silverlight" project of theirs fails miserably, because if it SHOULD succeed, we are in deep trouble. As to whether it WILL succeed, your guess would most likely be more informed than mine.

granite230
May 1st, 2007, 01:29 AM
My first reaction on that website was really: wow!! But that logo in the lower-right corner really reminds me not to download that piece of software... Flash will be supported for a long long time by all the major browsers, so if they support Silverlight, they also support Flash... no worries!

icechen1
May 1st, 2007, 01:35 AM
Microsoft will be nice,this time, look http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/15843

FuturePilot
May 1st, 2007, 01:35 AM
This is kind of scary. Look at how many websites revolve around that non-standards compliant browser of theirs. Next you'll see tons of websites that use exclusively this. But past events show that Linux has always found a way to implement these things. MP3 playback anyone?:)

Spike-X
May 1st, 2007, 01:36 AM
I'm sure it'll be every bit as successful as .Net, or the Zune.

igknighted
May 1st, 2007, 01:41 AM
Microsoft is gathering feedback from customers like you on Silverlight and to help determine which platforms should be supported in the future.

I think they are leaving the door open and as linux grows, by the time there is a true demand for this linux will have it. Plus, the last thing the world needs is another flash, one is bad enough. If we really want it, then lets all email (please, no pointless online petitions) MS and say give us a linux version, otherwise we go along and do our thing as always and support vendors/websites that use linux-friendly technology.

Lucifiel
May 1st, 2007, 01:44 AM
Hmm, I can't even view that video.

Phatfiddler
May 1st, 2007, 01:49 AM
I think it is more of a stunt to move Adobe out of the way more-so than Linux. They are doing what they have done for years. Take popular 3rd party software and redevelop it yourself, and include it on your OS to eliminate said 3rd party software company. Once they remove the vendors that are "allowing" their programs to run on Linux, they can establish a much firmer grip.

/f.u.d

FuturePilot
May 1st, 2007, 01:57 AM
Hmm, I can't even view that video.It was a little tricky, I had to press play and stop a few times.

I think it is more of a stunt to move Adboe out of the way more-so than Linux. They are doing what they have done for years. Take popular 3rd party software and redevelop it yourself, and include it on your OS to eliminate said 3rd party software company. Once they remove the vendors that are "allowing" their programs to run on Linux, they can establish a much firmer grip.

/f.u.d
I was thinking something along that line too. Are they trying to put Adobe out of business or something?

acidphex
May 1st, 2007, 02:17 AM
I don't know what you're WOWing about, so far it's just a Video. They probably even made the video in Adobe Premiere. It sounds new and exciting, but most of Microsoft's standards are like blood clots. With Adobe Flex open sourcing, Microsoft has a long way to go. What really would wow me is if the Linux community starts making an open source complete alternative to Flash. Now that would be a real treat, maybe Novell can come up with something so we don't have to deal with proprietary standards.

Lucifiel
May 1st, 2007, 02:24 AM
It was a little tricky, I had to press play and stop a few times.

I was thinking something along that line too. Are they trying to put Adobe out of business or something?

Ahhh, I dunno. There was sound but no video. I even tried reloading the page several times over but man, that doesn't work.

FuturePilot
May 1st, 2007, 03:22 AM
Ahhh, I dunno. There was sound but no video. I even tried reloading the page several times over but man, that doesn't work.
Sounds like you need W32 codecs installed.

Polygon
May 1st, 2007, 03:35 AM
that tuxmachines website said:

Microsoft Corporation may release part of the source code of its Silverlight technology to the open source community.

and of course the part that they dont release is going to be the one that has bugs

its going to be damn hard for microsoft to take adobes top spot in the industry of website interactive content, so much of the web uses flash, places like google video, myspace, youtube are just a few. Not to mention flash is on version 9 going on 10, they have it released for all three platforms and they have had a lot of time to work out the major kinks (in windows at least)....

not to mention that logo looks as ugly it looks like nothing, just a blob with some cool effects.

Phatfiddler
May 1st, 2007, 03:44 AM
Well, my post mostly meant that if users can have Silverlight pre-installed on their systems, why would they download the Adobe plugin? MS might be able to then create their own standards so that the other companies have to conform to MS's specifications for their media to work seamlessly.

They may be "open-sourcing" part of the code, but it is still MS specifications.

steven8
May 1st, 2007, 04:06 AM
Sounds like you need W32 codecs installed.

I am at work running win XP Pro, and my media player tells me it can't play the video, because the proper codec is not installed. The web help button tells me the Microsoft site has no info on this. This Silverlight is Suh-Weet! :popcorn:

DoctorMO
May 1st, 2007, 04:26 AM
Linux community starts making an open source complete alternative to Flash. Now that would be a real treat

Animated and scripted SVG is the closes thing we got and since Adobe is the main svg technical specification maintairer they've been putting the breaks on svg 1.1 and various other advancements ever since they acquired macromedia.

phrostbyte
May 1st, 2007, 04:29 AM
It may become a threat when it reaches version 3.0

Hopefully Linux will take over the world by then. :)

Polygon
May 1st, 2007, 04:58 AM
what about gnash? it supposedly has a large community behind it and has a lot of ppl developing it, and recently got stable and usable enough to play videos from youtube? (flash 7)

loell
May 1st, 2007, 05:06 AM
what about gnash? it supposedly has a large community behind it and has a lot of ppl developing it, and recently got stable and usable enough to play videos from youtube? (flash 7)

the community is just making a buzz about gnash, and onlyfew is actually helping the project.
there may be good results, perhaps in another decade.

hanzomon4
May 1st, 2007, 05:16 AM

Totem-xine says
Video codec 'WVC1' is not handled. You might need to install additional plugins to be able to play some types of movies

Ptero-4
May 1st, 2007, 07:42 AM
The good thing is that (so, far) silverlight works under OSX. I know it`s not the best solution, but it is at least a workaround that allows us to view silverlight-based content without using *******/IE.

jiminycricket
May 1st, 2007, 07:46 AM
If it's like anything MS has done in the past, "cross-platform" means there are special perks just for Windows users. Once they achieve dominance, then every other platform will be dropped. The fact that there isn't a Linux version for their "cross-platform" tool also speaks volumes.

I don't trust it. Forward with the FOSS implementations of Flash (Gnash, swfdec) and SVG/MNG.

EDIT:

I wanted to add that MS's commitment to a cross-platform tool is even more hilarious since I can't even get their MSN Music videos to play in Firefox on WINDOWS, and the javascript on their page is broken in FF as well (see 1 (http://video.msn.com/v/us/fv/fv.htm??g=640ab52c-cfa7-4424-a17d-8c0dad7fde7e,926e7c79-c8f6-4151-b4d3-926b613a6a9c&t=c2160&f=06/64&p=hotvideo_celebrity&fg=&gt1=9246)and 2 (http://entertainment1.sympatico.msn.ca/Music/LiveOrange/)). So much for any glimmer of hope I had that the monopoly had reformed itself at all since its antitrust verdicts.

lepz
May 1st, 2007, 09:59 AM
I hate to say it but......OMG that looks awesome :(

dspari1
May 1st, 2007, 10:14 AM
I think it is more of a stunt to move Adobe out of the way more-so than Linux. They are doing what they have done for years. Take popular 3rd party software and redevelop it yourself, and include it on your OS to eliminate said 3rd party software company. Once they remove the vendors that are "allowing" their programs to run on Linux, they can establish a much firmer grip.

/f.u.d

How am I suppose to even support Adobe if all I get from them is the Acrobat Reader and a buggy version of Flash? Where is the native Linux version of Acrobat, Photoshop, and Premiere?