PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 7 test 4

igknighted
April 30th, 2007, 06:40 PM
So I went ahead yesterday and downloaded test 4... WOW. The install is the same as always, and the theme was of course great. The new login especially is very nice. It has pidgin with its new artwork (very pretty, much more professional than Gaim was), a 2.6.21 kernel, and a true choice between KDE and Gnome at install. But perhaps the biggest changes are the inclusion of Neuvaou (sp?), the open source nvidia drivers that should have 3d soon, as well as huge speed improvements to yum. It runs at speeds comparable to Ubuntu's apt now. There are also two live versions (one KDE and one Gnome) that are available and installable from a single CD.

Overall, I would say check it out. I might wait until the final is out in May, as right now Livna isn't really ready for most users (only updates the graphics drivers every fourth kernel release, for example), but it is shaping uo VERY nice.

karellen
April 30th, 2007, 07:10 PM
I wait for the final release, I'll surely try the new fedora 7 (I had a pleasant experience with fedora core 5, the only complain I had is yum being slow) and I skipped fc 6 :D. Now it's time for a version with an odd number again :D

CocoAUS
May 1st, 2007, 01:49 AM
I truly hope they fix yum. I was laughing out loud when my sister tried installing FC6 and couldn't even do an update without getting numerous dependency errors, yet I was sitting there all comfy doing a dist-upgrade with Debian without any issues whatsoever. Fedora is one of the top community-maintained distributions, and it would be even better if yum didn't suck so bad. In all likelyhood, I'll probably stick to Debian, but I really do hope Fedora gets the yum mess worked out. Maybe then the community can stop telling everyone there's nothing wrong with it and being dicks to whoever mentions poor dependency resolution and speed issues.

Could you post a screenshot of Pidgin, maybe? That's the only drawback to Debian--it'll take a while for that important new packages to hit the repos.

Kobalt
May 4th, 2007, 10:34 AM
The artwork looks astonishing (very blue though). FC remains the best looking Gnome delivery in my opinion...