PDA

View Full Version : new to Ubuntu

supenguin
June 19th, 2005, 10:20 PM
I hope this is the right place to post this. Apologies if it isn't. I'm a long time Linux user. I started back on RedHat 5.2. I actually had Caldera Open Linux CD's before that but RedHat was my first install. I have also used Slackware, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, and Gentoo roughly in that order.

I'm luck enough to be able to use Linux at work, and had been using Gentoo. A couple coworkers of mine have been advocating Ubuntu. I tried the Live CD's and was very impressed. I ended up picking up a Pentium II 300 mhz for $5 (US) at a garage sale to install Ubuntu and use it for a while.

I ended up having some problems with Gentoo after a couple packages got upgraded and decided next time I had issues, I was going to switch from Gentoo to Ubuntu. The next week, I had some problems and on the same day, one of the Ubuntu advocates got the stack of Hoary CD's he ordered (I think it was 6 each of x86, amd64, and powerpc). So I installed Ubuntu during my lunch break. After installation, it took another hour or so to get X, sound, and the printer to work.

So far, I'm impressed. Of all the distros I've used (except maybe Knoppix) Ubuntu is the fastest and easiest to install and setup. The documentation looks good once I've got used to navigating the Wiki, also checking out ubuntuguide.org, and the community here looks at least as helpful as the Gentoo forums. I can't wait to see what the future holds.

poofyhairguy
June 19th, 2005, 11:28 PM
I hope this is the right place to post this. Apologies if it isn't. I'm a long time Linux user. I started back on RedHat 5.2. I actually had Caldera Open Linux CD's before that but RedHat was my first install. I have also used Slackware, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, and Gentoo roughly in that order.

I'm luck enough to be able to use Linux at work, and had been using Gentoo. A couple coworkers of mine have been advocating Ubuntu. I tried the Live CD's and was very impressed. I ended up picking up a Pentium II 300 mhz for $5 (US) at a garage sale to install Ubuntu and use it for a while.

I ended up having some problems with Gentoo after a couple packages got upgraded and decided next time I had issues, I was going to switch from Gentoo to Ubuntu. The next week, I had some problems and on the same day, one of the Ubuntu advocates got the stack of Hoary CD's he ordered (I think it was 6 each of x86, amd64, and powerpc). So I installed Ubuntu during my lunch break. After installation, it took another hour or so to get X, sound, and the printer to work.

So far, I'm impressed. Of all the distros I've used (except maybe Knoppix) Ubuntu is the fastest and easiest to install and setup. The documentation looks good once I've got used to navigating the Wiki, also checking out ubuntuguide.org, and the community here looks at least as helpful as the Gentoo forums. I can't wait to see what the future holds.

Welcome. Be sure to hit this area:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=58