PDA

View Full Version : Is Ubuntu better?

wallyts
April 30th, 2007, 01:10 PM
I bought my first NEW computer from Wal*Mart in Dec. 2002 with Lindows pre-installed. In March 2005 I updated to Linspire. Recently I was looking for a Linspire users forum and found a graph showing Ubuntu is WAY more popular than all other Linux OS's. In what ways is Ubuntu better than Linspire? (I haven't found this in any FAQ list.)

Macintosh Sauce
April 30th, 2007, 01:15 PM
How is Ubuntu better than Linspire? It works... http://www.seascape.us/jrhodes/lol.gif

FoolsGold
April 30th, 2007, 01:24 PM
It's better. Take our word for it. Why else would people keep using it and advocating it? :)

maniacmusician
April 30th, 2007, 01:33 PM
This isn't really the place to ask this question...this is ubuntu forums. Most people here will tell you that Ubuntu is better. Best way to know is to try it out for yourself. We have Live CDs, and you can create a small partition for Ubuntu on your hard drive if you want. Or even use it in a virtual machine. Up to you.

B3Nji
April 30th, 2007, 01:57 PM
It's better. Take our word for it. Why else would people keep using it and advocating it? :)

Its only a better operating system if you want your PC to run fast, have all the latest and greatest technology bundled into it and loads of software to choose from!

Oh and on top of all that you have a great community to talk to and get help from! :lolflag:

karellen
April 30th, 2007, 02:30 PM
try both ubuntu and linspire and see for yourself ;)
what you like more and what suites your needs - that's better

Roger Gundberg
April 30th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Speaking just for myself, I have been with Microsoft since 1987. Linux (generic) was difficult and in my estimation unwieldy. Then came Ubuntu and the fantastic support from the Ubuntu community. I am running Fiesty Fawn and a virtual machine called Virtual Box with Windows XP SP1 and Fedora Core 7. The beauty of a virtual machine is that you may try an OS without partitioning a hard drive. The program will set aside seven to ten gigs of space on your hard drive. If you don't like it, delete it. But give Ubuntu a chance!

Tomosaur
April 30th, 2007, 03:14 PM
The great thing about Ubuntu (and many other Linux distrobutions!) is that they have a LiveCD - meaning you can try out the operating system and see for yourself if you like it, without having to install anything. So you should just grab a copy of the LiveCD and give it a go. It'll run very slowly from the CD, but at least you'll get a good idea of what it's like. The LiveCD is also great for making sure all your hardware works, before you commit to installing it.

plb
April 30th, 2007, 03:48 PM
In all reality, Ubuntu is better for "newcomers" to linux or people who just want things to work without hassle.

aysiu
April 30th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Try the live CD (also known as the Desktop CD)--decide for yourself if it's "better."

Otherwise, ask this question on Linux Questions or Linux Forums.

People here (Ubuntu users) may skew the results a bit.

YODAR
April 30th, 2007, 06:38 PM
In all reality, Ubuntu is better for "newcomers" to linux or people who just want things to work without hassle.

THERE ya GO! That's it exactly! I am not a geek, have no patience with complicated processes and were it not for Feisty Fawn I wouldnt have internet access this moment.

The whole morning XP kept sucking my resources down so I couldnt attain and keep internet access on a badly maintained rural connection

Ubuntu is faster, more user friendly on upgrades and apparently less resource-hungry

yodar in O'do

aysiu
April 30th, 2007, 06:41 PM
New users who like proprietary codecs (i.e., almost all newcomers) and want "no hassles" would be better off with Mepis, PCLinuxOS, or Linux Mint.

ThinkBuntu
April 30th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Don't take our word for it. Every OS has its advantages and disadvantages. Ubuntu may not be the best, or it may be, depending on who you ask, but you could certainly do much worse with your choice of Linux distribution. Here are some advantages of using Ubuntu:
* It uses Debian for its base, which seems to be pretty stable and quick. It also has access to a ton of applications ("packages") thanks to the Debian packagers.
* It has a very large base of users, and as a result should be around for a while.
* It has a very large base of users, and as a result you can find help very quickly in the Ubuntu forums.

dca
April 30th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Not to start a fire or anything, but as far as Gnome-centric distro(s) are concerned Ubuntu is by far the best on the desktop... The KDE vers (Kubuntu) I'm not fond of at all... You'd be better off going w/ Freespire, MEPIS, or etc...