PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Studios???

PrinceArithon
April 30th, 2007, 05:01 AM
Goodness it's been a while, but I'm glad to be back.

I may be a tad bit stupid...well no I am...but can anyone tell me what is going on with Ubuntu Studios, I went to the website and found out that it's being held back from release. After that I wasn't sure what it was talking about. Is it going to be released in October??? Or is it going to be released before that and then the Gutsy Gibbons release will be coming out in October.

To be rather honest, I couldn't find much telling the reason why it was held back....no...more like I couldn't find a reason that made me feel good about it.

I'm a little disappointed because it really seemed like it was going to be cool. I really want to start making Trance music, and this seemed like a cool way to start trying it out.

Anyway, can anyone let me know what is going on...I'm really kinda let down because of it.

maniacmusician
April 30th, 2007, 05:08 AM
Goodness it's been a while, but I'm glad to be back.

I may be a tad bit stupid...well no I am...but can anyone tell me what is going on with Ubuntu Studios, I went to the website and found out that it's being held back from release. After that I wasn't sure what it was talking about. Is it going to be released in October??? Or is it going to be released before that and then the Gutsy Gibbons release will be coming out in October.

To be rather honest, I couldn't find much telling the reason why it was held back....no...more like I couldn't find a reason that made me feel good about it.

I'm a little disappointed because it really seemed like it was going to be cool. I really want to start making Trance music, and this seemed like a cool way to start trying it out.

Anyway, can anyone let me know what is going on...I'm really kinda let down because of it.
they had a little trouble getting stuff done on time. They wanted to release with a -rt patched kernel, and so this pushed back the release. Also, they need time to build the disks and test them. I talked to Cory the other day about it and I believe that they just need to build and test the disks out. They're hoping for an early May release, but they can't be sure, so they haven't set deadlines.

Basically, "It'll be out when it's out" but as of right now, the unofficial expectations are early May.

PrinceArithon
April 30th, 2007, 05:36 AM
That's hopeful news actually.

Now for my next question of something I don't understand. Is this going to be like an operating system all in it's own where a lot of functions have been stripped away and only the ones that it needs will be on there, or is it going to be just another program???

maniacmusician
April 30th, 2007, 06:02 AM
It's basically regular Ubuntu with a lot of modifications. It has different themes, it has multimedia-specific apps, it has some different default settings, and it has a modified kernel better suited to multimedia use.

PrinceArithon
April 30th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Sounds good, it looks like I'm getting rid of my Windows partition once and for all once Ubuntu Studios comes out.

Thanks for the info big guy. I appreciate it.