PDA

View Full Version : Server Team

DX 00
April 30th, 2007, 03:23 AM
Thread to discuss the Server Team project. Post here if you are interested or have any ideas about the server project.

DX 00
April 30th, 2007, 03:26 AM
If anyone is interested in the project can you post your info here? The server is in Phoenix so we will do the ground work there but anyone is welcome. I'm thinking we should have ssh access for other people interested once is up and running.

azteech
April 30th, 2007, 03:28 AM
DX00, I would be interested in participating in the team. Like others down here in Tucson, will have to be via SSH though.

Contact info is on my wiki page: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Azteech

IanMcewen
April 30th, 2007, 03:45 AM
I would be up for a minor role via SSH (Tucsonan here).

Info is on my wiki page: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IanMcewen.

Thanks.

Todd Bealmear
April 30th, 2007, 06:20 AM
I already emailed you all my info.

DX 00
May 3rd, 2007, 01:08 AM
Here is the wiki page for the team:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArizonaTeam/Teams/Server

azteech
May 3rd, 2007, 05:09 AM
Great start for the team, DX. Looks good.

Technophobia
May 3rd, 2007, 08:35 AM
What is the server being used for?

- Web server
- Email (bla)
- learning
- ftp

?

DX 00
May 3rd, 2007, 04:01 PM
We will be having a meeting with the DeLUG group to discuss the Server team and what we will be doing but I'm thinking at least a LAMP and MTA where we can possibly use it for a team website. The idea of installing VMWare was also thrown into the table, the VMWare team could benefit from this plus we could have virtual servers we could mess with just for messing around purposes without messing anything important up.

See the wiki page for the server team goals and updates. I'm also updating that page with meeting dates and locations.

bribri124
May 3rd, 2007, 05:07 PM
The idea of installing VMWare was also thrown into the table, the VMWare team could benefit from this plus we could have virtual servers we could mess with just for messing around purposes without messing anything important up.]

If your team decides to go through with installing VMware/QEMU, I would like the Wine-Virtual Machine team to have ssh access as well.

Thanks.

DX 00
May 3rd, 2007, 11:19 PM
No problem, I think one of the goals for this server is for the entire Ubuntu-Arizona team to benefit from it.

DX 00
May 8th, 2007, 06:05 PM
We had our first official server meeting and we are getting started with the project. See the wiki page for updates on whats happening.

IanMcewen
May 9th, 2007, 01:05 AM
Looks excellent, DX.

Only thing I'd add right now: Might I suggest adding at least a few accounts to the box right away for people to use with ssh (maybe Server team members and DeLUG collaborators), too?

Technophobia
May 9th, 2007, 04:47 AM
I'm sad I missed it. When is the next meeting?

azteech
May 9th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Excellent feedback, and Presentation DX.

Only feedback I have at the moment would be an addition to your timeline. Recommend you add testing - of server, installed software, and any connections to the server (lan/wan and remote connections (via ssh, at last proposal).

Todd Bealmear
May 9th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Looks excellent, DX.

Only thing I'd add right now: Might I suggest adding at least a few accounts to the box right away for people to use with ssh (maybe Server team members and DeLUG collaborators), too?
This is contingent on us getting it online and operational first. Once it's actually running, user accounts will, of course, be created.

DX 00
May 9th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Excellent feedback, and Presentation DX.

Only feedback I have at the moment would be an addition to your timeline. Recommend you add testing - of server, installed software, and any connections to the server (lan/wan and remote connections (via ssh, at last proposal).

Thank you for the suggestions, I will work on adding those.

As far as ssh, I will be adding accounts. I think the way i'm going to do it is by groups and users. So for right now i will 'addgroup serverTeam' and add any users that are part of that group. Then I will add another group like 'addgroup vmTeam' and add any users to that group. We still have to look at how we will manage it but for right now that seams like the way to go. If you want an ssh login, please email me your login name, group, and password at ssjgolleta[at]anima-web[dot]us

I'm not sure when we will get the server up but as soon as I we do I will let everyone know so they can start messing with things.

The server meetings will be done at the DeLUG monthly meetings. We usually meet every 3third Monday of the month ad DeVry but we might be changing locations. Contact me if you are interested in coming. I will keep the wiki updated with the most current information.

Thanks for all the interest guys.

IanMcewen
May 10th, 2007, 12:47 AM
Sweet, can do.

Todd: Just me being anal and neurotic as usual. Pay me no mind :)

DX 00
May 30th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Just an update on the Server....

I've been gone on vacation for the last 2 weeks but I'm in town now. I'm working with the DeLUG guy to see if we can get the server up and running by Monday. We'll see what happens.

pacman2440
May 31st, 2007, 11:36 PM
I just joined the Arizona Community, I dont know if i have actually been accepted in yet, but I would like to join the server team. Learn more about linux and hopefully make my own personal home server better.

Technophobia
June 1st, 2007, 05:11 AM
You in automatically if you live in AZ. It's just that simple.

pacman2440
June 1st, 2007, 05:34 AM
Ah, cool! I love how much support there is for Ubuntu, it really helps with perfecting things.

DX 00
June 1st, 2007, 05:06 PM
I just joined the Arizona Community, I dont know if i have actually been accepted in yet, but I would like to join the server team. Learn more about linux and hopefully make my own personal home server better.

Your welcome to join the team if you like. Add yourself to the team wiki and welcome to the team!

derekr44
June 4th, 2007, 03:18 PM
I'm interested in this as well. I have somewhat extensive experience with web, voice and game server hosting in the IIS/Win environment and I'd like to branch out to Linux.

DX 00
June 4th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Here is an update to the server. One of the DeLUG guys and I went to set up the server this weekend (06-02-07). The DeLUG guy (Huertanix) bought and replaced the bad power supply and we were able to set it up in the rack. We tried installing Ubuntu server and Ubuntu desktop but both installations failed due to a corrupted media error. We only had those two cds so thats all we were able to try. I went home and tested the cds, the desktop one was corrupted but the server one was not. We think we might have a bad cd-rom, so we are going to try using a different cd-rom and different server cd. We are also looking into doing a net install if that fails. We are going to try again hopefully latter this week. Im posting some pics on the wiki page of what the server looks like and the rack that is on. The company that donated the rack space is ensynch.

Technophobia
June 5th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Test the ram also. I had comp once that would freeze on a windows install just because of one stick of bad ram.

DX 00
June 5th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Thats a good suggestion, i will have to try that.