PDA

View Full Version : Scanners: best for Ubuntu

gusjones
April 29th, 2007, 09:50 PM
I'm looking to get myself a good scanner which works with Linux but also gives a little extra.

Please post your experiences, and I'll pick a winner.

maniacmusician
April 29th, 2007, 10:24 PM
I'm looking to get myself a good scanner which works with Linux but also gives a little extra.

Please post your experiences, and I'll pick a winner.
I've got nothing specific, but try going with HP or Epson. I have an Epson Stylus CX4800, it's an all-in-one deal (Printer, scanner, copier). the printing works, scanning works with a little bit of haggling (just changing a line in a config file), but you have to scan as root. The copying also works obviously, since it doesn't have to deal with the computer. It also has the capability to print from a memory card or a camera, though I've never tested those functions.

Epson and HP usually have pretty good Linux drivers.

groeswenphil
April 29th, 2007, 10:46 PM
I've got a Canon Lide 30.

I plugged it in and it worked.

You can't ask for much more than that.

All the best,
Phil

oh.......its thin, looks nice and didn't cost too much.

Puppy fam
April 30th, 2007, 12:22 AM
My HP Photosmart C4180 (photo card reader/printer/copier/scanner) worked perfectly once I installed HPLIP. :KS

aysiu
April 30th, 2007, 12:23 AM
This link should help you:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsScanners

jimrz
April 30th, 2007, 12:40 AM
HP psc 1610 ... all in 1 machine ... scanner works perfectly

click4851
April 30th, 2007, 12:43 AM
+1 on the HP All-in-Wonder line I have a C6100 and love it, with the HPLIP loaded as well

jerrylamos
April 30th, 2007, 01:08 AM
I've got a scanner, but get better results from a digital camera. It helps to have a tripod, use the self timer, and preferably 3x telephoto. Lighting is tricky. I like the pictures tho.

Cheers, Jerry

gusjones
April 30th, 2007, 08:35 AM
I've got a Canon Lide 30.

I plugged it in and it worked.

You can't ask for much more than that.

All the best,
Phil

oh.......its thin, looks nice and didn't cost too much.

I am torn between this and one of the HP complete solutions... I notice on the product spec it say that is scans to PDF, is this true for linux? I'm thinking that it's probably not a direct hardware scan to PDF function, still I am sure I can easily convert in Ubuntu from graphic format to PDF.

Thanks everyone for you replies and thanks Aysiu for the support link, one thing that is never lacking on these forums are people willing to help out and give a bit of advice.

:):):):)

I'll post back when I get the scanner.

jiminycricket
April 30th, 2007, 11:51 AM
I just want to echo HP again, I've nothing but luck with their printers and scanners. They support SPI which supports Debian, so it makes sense. I've also heard Epson is good, like MM said (although I don't like their ink jet printers because of the DRM). Sorry if this is a bit redundant.

mips
April 30th, 2007, 07:38 PM
HP OfficeJet 6213 scanners works perfectly without any issues.

groeswenphil
April 30th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Canon Lide.............just checked. Front buttons don't work in Ubuntu. Also, it can't save easily as a PDF...although I suppose you could put the image into Open Office and do it that way.
Still a good scanner if you ask me.
Phil

Bezmotivnik
April 30th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Warning: Most or all Visioneer scanners are known not to work in Linux.

Guess what I have.