PDA

View Full Version : Very difficult to get torrent downloads for Ubuntu :(

Mr. Picklesworth
April 29th, 2007, 05:08 PM
The new Download page is awesome -- something that I have always wanted to see improved.

However, for no reason in particular, it is unable to download a torrent!
I did manage to find a torrent download after going to "the complete list of download locations and other download options", then scrolling down all the way to the bottom and going to the "7.04 release page", then scrolling down all the way to the bottom and finally finding the torrent.

The download by torrent was fast enough, but of course hardly anyone bothers to do this (unless they have terrible routers and are downloading with web browsers that lack the ability to resume downloads), and I felt generous but my share ratio was at 0.6% event after about 4 hours of seeding.
It wasn't nice :(

Why is the torrent download not presented as an option on the new, user-friendly, download page?

nahham
May 2nd, 2007, 12:27 PM
I agree that finding the .torrent download is not the easiest in the world. However, it worked faster for me than normal download and I've been sharing it since the release of Feisty Fawn. Currently, the share ratio is 3.758 :)

AndyCooll
May 2nd, 2007, 12:46 PM
Well, I used torrent to obtain my copy of Feisty and it didn't take long to get it (as you say). I prefer this method since I feel as if I'm helping out the community in a small way.

However I must admit though that my share rarely seems to be used. Been sharing it for about a week and it's still less than 0.1!! Not sure why.

:cool: