PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

zetsumei
April 29th, 2007, 04:06 PM
I have 7.04 ubuntu and everything works now. What should I work on? I'm at a lost at what I should do, project wise. Post some ideas here. I don't know a lot of C++ or Python but give me some ideas on what I should do.

riminicat
April 29th, 2007, 04:08 PM
make a new version of Ubuntu that doesn't allow you to do anything fun, and thinks its the only operating system in existance...o wait, they already have something like that, Windows!!

euler_fan
April 30th, 2007, 12:00 AM
There are hundreds of little projects out there that could use alpha and beta testers. No need to code much unless comfortable with it.

Not everyone need be a coder to contribute.

Have fun!

crimesaucer
April 30th, 2007, 12:14 AM
I can think of a few things.

Customize everything, gtk2 themes, fonts, wallpapers, Beryl/Emerald, maybe a different Window Manager....
Add new programs, and decide what you like best.
Help test the beta projects of programs that you like. File bug reports or join discussions in the forums.

maniacmusician
April 30th, 2007, 12:17 AM
I actually have an idea for a project that I want someone to work on.

Problem:
When you install multiple DE's on the same system, the menus get very cluttered, with programs and tools from one DE showing up in the menus of another. Currently the only solution to this is to open the .desktop file for that program, and apped "OnlyShowIn=[DE]". [DE] can be replaced with KDE, GNOME, or XFCE.

Solution:
Create a program that does this. It should show the apps as they are presented in the normal KDE/Gnome menu, divided up into subsections, and when you click on the app, there should be options to have it show only in one DE or have it show in all of them.

It should also have some sane defaults. The first time you run it, it should ask something like "Would you like [this program] to automatically sort certain types of applications?" By sane defaults, I mean things like admin and config tools. Gnome and XFCE has a bunch of these, and KDE has them in the form of KCMshells. So things like config tools that should stay specific to a certain DE should be sorted automatically. The rest should be left up to the user.

I think for anyone that knows how to code, this would be a fairly easy beginner project. I can't code myself, though, so I wouldn't know :) Anyways, I think this would be a helpful one at least.

karellen
April 30th, 2007, 12:18 AM
do what you like. go out, read books, learn german, play with image editing applications, explore wikipedia...there are plenty of choices

Tux Aubrey
April 30th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Try every WM under the sun and explore some of the really fun "How Tos" around the forums. (hint: bodhi.zazen scripts rock)

Try out other distros! - I am loving puppy linux and its derivatives at the moment. Elive is also very smooth.

Roll your own! Both Ubuntu and puppy have add-ons to let you master your own ISO live CD.

Give some help in the Beginners Forum.

Set up a mythtv box.

Stalk an old girlfriend or teacher. (OK, not linux-related unless you use linux to hack their PC)

Aubrey

Mateo
April 30th, 2007, 12:57 AM
Write a program that predicts how many posts in a thread on ubuntuforums will be made before one that bashes microsoft is posted.

Nikron
April 30th, 2007, 01:12 AM
format Ubuntu and install FreeBSD. FreeBSD is pretty cool from my experience with it so far. A bit different from linux, but not too much.

reclusivemonkey
April 30th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Learn to use vim.

sudo aptitude install vimtutor

zetsumei
April 30th, 2007, 09:45 PM
LOL i've already know how to use vim...