PDA

View Full Version : use windows OS or UBUNTU OS

siya_kh1983
April 29th, 2007, 06:27 AM
I'm a software engineer and wanna know that why some people like you use Ubuntu or use windows or use both of them ??? :)

siya_kh1983
April 29th, 2007, 06:28 AM
I used windows... and will use in now and tomorrow. you and me and all of the people in world know that windows is a good OS but there is some thing wrong in another OS...
when I have OS course in university I find out there is a new and free OS in world ... I use the first Ver of ubuntu. and use it now. and will use it in tomorrow..
I had a lot of problem with this OS. but I solve them. when some people that use windows come and use ubuntu they say that this OS is so professional for some people like us that don't know how to use command line... righe that windows get people too lasy, but it is a good OS ...

I use asp.net and C# (windows programming and web programming). when u wanna write windows app , what can u do??? use Ubuntu to write a program??? in most university student learn programming... they know c++ and pascal, but they don't wanna use them until there is a visual c++ or visual c#.net...

I write this post becuase I research that why people in my country like windows...
they wanna install programs with just some click,,, they don't wanna download pre queste files for install...

I use UBUNTU and use ubuntu and learn ubuntu and tech ubuntu in my country that tomorrow maybe some people like this OS but there is a long way that this OS take windows... I hope that days come and All people in the world work with this OS.

UBUNTU is a god of all of the OS in the world because it's free and u and me and anybody in world can use it without any money...

Sef
April 29th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Moved to the Community Cafe.

karellen
April 29th, 2007, 07:16 AM
I use windows because there are many good applications designed only for the windows ecosystem, because I can use virtually any piece of hardware or gadget with it
I use ubuntu because it's free, because I like the philosophy behind, because it's stable and reliable and let me control it the way I want

dspari1
April 29th, 2007, 08:00 AM
http://www.ubuntuvideo.com/ubuntu_6_10_edgy_eft_with_beryl_and_world_of_warcr aft

On top of that, I can now click on any links on the forums without the thought of getting a nasty keylogger.

EdThaSlayer
April 29th, 2007, 08:06 AM
I only use Windows for GAMES! I need games to survive(yes, I'm an game addict)
The rest Ubuntu does better in. :)

Malta paul
April 29th, 2007, 09:01 AM
I am using Ubuntu because in my opinion it is much better than Windows, and you have more control over operating system configuration.
Unfortunately I have to use Windows to run my old HP Scanner, its on the smallest partition I can use!
The Scanner will run on Ubuntu but gives low quality photographs though not bad in text. :(

Dragonbite
April 30th, 2007, 03:54 AM
I use Windows at work because our internal programs are mostly Windows-orientated (ASP.NET, VB.NET, Crystal Reports, MS SQL Server, Exhange, etc.) Since I'm still a beginner with programming, Visual Studio does more for easing me into working with the app, while giving me the opportunity to learn more as it presents itself. Eventually I hope to expand my knowledge into something cross-platform.
(VB.NET => C# => Java ?)
Mono looks promising, but still has room to go as far as I'm concerned.

I use Ubuntu at home because I like the philosophy, ease of use and maintenance, security, the "tinkering" ability and that it's free. I have it running on a machine that would otherwise be running Windows 98 if I had to pay for the OS.

I like being able to have a computer running up-to-date software and OS in spite of being bought in 2000 and would otherwise crawl under Windows 2000 or XP (and, no surprise, it's spec's are not even on Vista's radar!). If the opportunity arises it may even find new life as a thin client which I could tinker around with and try (doesn't work? reinstall... works? great) without plunking down a bunch of money.

M10.N16
April 30th, 2007, 04:01 AM
Ubuntu is a pretty nice operating system, but there is some software for Windows that I would probably regret leaving behind: Microsoft Office, MSN Messenger, iTunes, and Cleartype, for instance. There is a lot of open source software out there that's a lot easier to install with Ubuntu though.

unixdotseth
April 30th, 2007, 04:06 AM
definitely run both, unless all of the windows apps you use run in wine

Compucore
April 30th, 2007, 04:07 AM
I use Ubuntu at least on one laptop that I bring with me and one workstation at home with ubuntu on it. Because I find I have more control over what I can do with an operating system and what I want on that particular computer. And personally I find it is more flexible for my taste than windows. I am forced to use the windows environment as a technician and a programmer for internal software that the company needs to use on a daily basis. I prefer the ubuntu over the windows environment any day of the week without worrying about restarting the computer each and everytime I update anything minor on the computer itself. Unless it is something major to do with the kernel itself which may need a reboot on that installation.

Compucore

Kilz
April 30th, 2007, 04:08 AM
I use Ubuntu because I want my computer to be mine. Not Microsofts. With Ubuntu I can set the os up to be how I want it, with options I never had with Windows. I also dont have to worry about the operating system phoning home to Redmond. That spyware or viruses cant turn my computer into a zombie. That DRM wont stop me because of the cash that Microsoft took under the table.

With Microsoft the only thing open is you wallet.

n0dl
April 30th, 2007, 04:37 AM
Ubuntu/Linux/Unix: Its the red pill :)

unixdotseth
April 30th, 2007, 05:09 AM
yup

maniacmusician
April 30th, 2007, 05:16 AM
For me, Windows is just not a choice anymore. It's a filthy, disgusting bit of code developed by unpassionate and greedy fools. It's stagnant and depends on old fashioned and ineffective ways to capture its audience. As someone that's passionate about computers, it offends me that most of the world uses that bug-ridden excuse of an OS. It offends me even more that I used to use it.

Also, their imposing philosophies that they hold just because they think they control the public is infuriating. How dare they create something like Vista, which demands that everyone buy high-specced computers to get a pleasant experience? As if that's not bad enough, they go as far as to cut off XP and refuse to ship it and support it after this year. That's just pathetic.

This is the last thing that I have to say: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1274983729713522403

JA2
April 30th, 2007, 06:45 AM
While I agree with most of maniacmusician's points, I think everyone has a choice in the OS they want to use.

One point to note is that people don't always have the options laid out in front of them when they first enter the world of computing and so whatever they begin with tends to be generally accepted as the standard for everything going forward, however mediocre and flawed that option may be (in my opinion, of course). Depending on how much time they spend on that first OS - and the level to which they educate themselves about other choices, it might be quite difficult for them to migrate away from the environment they've always been comfortable with to something that's almost entirely different in look, feel and control.

The question at hand is about choosing between Windows or Ubuntu, but it could just as easily be a debate on Windows over MacOS or Windows over Solaris.

I've been one of the fortunate few with the opportunity to evaluate many different OS platforms between my high school days back in the 80s and my present day job as a Network Administrator, and in the end have found the Unix/Linux platform to be the one that best served my computing interests. Someone else may say the same about Windows or MacOS, but I can't knock them because it was their choice. All I can hope is that they made an educated choice, rather than accept what some sales ad or store clerk told them.

maniacmusician
April 30th, 2007, 06:58 AM
While I agree with most of maniacmusician's points, I think everyone has a choice in the OS they want to use.

One point to note is that people don't always have the options laid out in front of them when they first enter the world of computing and so whatever they begin with tends to be generally accepted as the standard for everything going forward, however mediocre and flawed that option may be (in my opinion, of course). Depending on how much time they spend on that first OS - and the level to which they educate themselves about other choices, it might be quite difficult for them to migrate away from the environment they've always been comfortable with to something that's almost entirely different in look, feel and control.

The question at hand is about choosing between Windows or Ubuntu, but it could just as easily be a debate on Windows over MacOS or Windows over Solaris.

I've been one of the fortunate few with the opportunity to evaluate many different OS platforms between my high school days back in the 80s and my present day job as a Network Administrator, and in the end have found the Unix/Linux platform to be the one that best served my computing interests. Someone else may say the same about Windows or MacOS, but I can't knock them because it was their choice. All I can hope is that they made an educated choice, rather than accept what some sales ad or store clerk told them.
:) yes, I got a bit carried away. Happens sometimes, I was in a rather fiery mood a couple of hours ago.

Yeah, people should have a choice, but they should also have the convenience of having that choice being prominently made available to them so that they can make an educated decision. My personal beef is just with systems that were created through disgusting methods or systems that use disgusting methods to stay at the top...in my perception, this applies to both Windows and Macs. [shrug] my personal opinion.

I have no problem with choice though, as long as the users know there is one. Which is usually not the case.

fulanodetal316
May 4th, 2007, 08:11 AM
I use Linux because I can fix it. My laptop was running Windows XP for about a year and a half and every month or so I had to dive deep into the settings to fix it. Each time something else was wrong and I kept slogging on with the disturbing feeling in the pit of my gut that I was putting band-aids on a ruptured artery.

At this time I was still with Windows because I had no real alternative, I knew of Linux - but without knowing more I couldn't switch because I rely on my laptop for school. Thankfully I ended up changing majors and took my first computer science class and was required to take a Unix course concurrently with my programing 1 class.

I originally set up the system with a dual boot system so that I could do my lab work at home and explore the new operating system, but I kept the Windows option because I wasn't sure that it would work. Much to my surprise, after the initial updates, everything worked pretty much out of the box. This was very fortunate for me because the wireless gave out again about three weeks into school.

To tell the truth I haven't bothered to fix it because it still works when I boot into Linux so I have everything I need. To my recollection the only time I have booted into Windows in the last 4 months was to run a defrag cycle on the drive to compress the data so I could shrink the Windows portion and open up the space for my Linux programs.

When everything is added up, it just works better. More reliable, and because I can get at a command that hasn't been castrated, if something goes wrong I can fix it.

steven8
May 4th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Why would anyone wish to use a product with a man such as Bill Gates in charge. These quotes from that article linked in the other thread say it all:

1. Gates on his place in the universe:
"Hey, I never told anyone to buy my stock! Besides, no one is less happy than I am with the performance of Microsoft stock! I've lost tens of billions of dollars this year-if you check, you'll see that that's more than most people make in a lifetime!"

2. Gates on Microsoft's anti-trust case:
"This anti-trust thing will blow over."

3. Gates on, the distributed nature of intelligence at his company( I think):
"At Microsoft there are lots of brilliant ideas but the image is that they all come from the top - I'm afraid that's not quite right."

4. Gates on the number of H-1B visas that should be permitted in the US over the current 65,000 currently allowed:
"300,000 would be a fantastic improvement."

5. Gates, again reasserting his place in the world:
I have 100 billion dollars... You realize I could spend 3 million dollars a day, every day, for the next 100 years? And that's if I don't make another dime. Tell you what-I'll buy your right arm for a million dollars. I give you a million bucks, and I get to sever your arm right here.

6. Gates getting one right perhaps:
"If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25 cars that got 1000 MPG. "

7. Gates on his rush for support Digital Rights management:
"Intellectual property has the shelf life of a banana."

8. Gates on his customers:
"Let's face it, the average computer user has the brain of a Spider Monkey."

fulanodetal316
June 16th, 2007, 01:24 PM
8. Gates on his customers:
"Let's face it, the average computer user has the brain of a Spider Monkey."
Although if this were true it would go a long way toward explaining Microsoft's market share.

init1
June 16th, 2007, 01:27 PM
I'm a software engineer and wanna know that why some people like you use Ubuntu or use windows or use both of them ??? :)
Right now, I am using linux because it boots and works faster. I booted from my usb drive so I didn't have to use the Windows on this computer.

Somenoob
June 16th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Isn't there already a billion threads like this? If you want to know reasons for someone's OS preference, then just use the search function. Not being rude, there are just too many threads like these.

kamaboko
June 16th, 2007, 01:36 PM
For me, Windows is just not a choice anymore. It's a filthy, disgusting bit of code developed by unpassionate and greedy fools. It's stagnant and depends on old fashioned and ineffective ways to capture its audience. As someone that's passionate about computers, it offends me that most of the world uses that bug-ridden excuse of an OS. It offends me even more that I used to use it.

Also, their imposing philosophies that they hold just because they think they control the public is infuriating. How dare they create something like Vista, which demands that everyone buy high-specced computers to get a pleasant experience? As if that's not bad enough, they go as far as to cut off XP and refuse to ship it and support it after this year. That's just pathetic.

This is the last thing that I have to say: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1274983729713522403

I have some friends that code for MS in Redmond and I can tell you with certainty that they are very passionate about what they do. You, as well nearly 95% of the other users here, generalize too much.

As for the video of Balmer, apparently you've never attended a motivational seminar. His dancing monkey act is par for the course for top level speakers.

PartisanEntity
June 16th, 2007, 01:42 PM
I have both Ubuntu and Win XP installed on my laptop. I use Win XP to sync with my phone or to use Photoshop. As far as Photoshop is concerned, I have been using it less and less, since becoming more familiar with Gimp I have realised it is more than enough for me, I admit I was a vocal critic of Gimp when I first started using Ubuntu. So currently I only need Windows in order to sync my phone properly (I use Outlook to manage my contacts).

Everything else I do in Ubuntu, it covers my needs and is an enjoyable and hassle free operating system. Add to that it has a great community and I am perfectly happy.

laxmanb
June 16th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Mostly Windows...

euler_fan
June 16th, 2007, 02:52 PM
I use Ubuntu 95% of the time, as it works well for my needs, is less vulnerable, and has apps that do quite well everything i want them to do. Best of all, though, is I get the functionality I want without a monetary cost, simply some time (and now that I have solved all the usual problems and know the system, not even much of that).

I use windows though because compatibility with other hardware can be sticky and there are a few programs I need for work that are windows only. For instance, when I have to give a presentation with a projector, I use windows because 99.99% of the time it will plug and play for me. I have a webcam that is not supported for linux (but is for Mac--this is a little frustrating). Ergo, use it in windows were it works fine.

Spr0k3t
June 16th, 2007, 03:37 PM

I finally rid myself of the windows platform in my house and switched completely over to Linux of some kind. I have always hated the Windows mentality of computing and feel at home in the terminal. I don't have to worry about spyware, malware, anti-spy/malware, virii, or the ilk there in. I don't have to rely on 3rd party software to make the system look good. There are several applications out there which run fantastic and a good lot of them are free and open source giving me the option to change/fork a few to how I want them to operate. There are very few applications worth paying for, many of which are only on windows, but most of them have linux equivalents (MS Office/Photoshop/etc). There is only one thing I would think about using Windows for... that's games. Simply for the lack of good commercial support outside of a small handful of companies. I would purchase more games if I knew the developers supported Linux.

Spr0k3t
June 16th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Oops... I missed the second post of the thread.

init1
June 16th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Isn't there already a billion threads like this? If you want to know reasons for someone's OS preference, then just use the search function. Not being rude, there are just too many threads like these.
Yeah, the "Why do you use linux?" thread is quite common.

hillcd
June 16th, 2007, 05:49 PM
I use both. Some things (games mostly) don't have an equivalent Linux version. Windows strong point is that it has a huge user base, and has more applications that run on it. Linux's is that it is more secure, more stable, open and faster. Previously I would have also said that Windows was easier to install and use on a desktop machine, but it seems to have lost the lead here, first to Apple, and now to Linux.

spockrock
June 16th, 2007, 06:26 PM
I currently use Ubuntu, Plan 9, Windows, Mac OS X, used BSD, and Solaris as well.... every operating system has its uses. Ubuntu is my primary OS of choice, because of the *nix operating systems linux generally has better support in terms of apps, drivers, in my experience (and I know bsd has a linux compatibility layer). Also I just prefer the debian based distros (apt is the bees knees), and why I use ubuntu over debian is because of the realease cycle, I like the 6 month updates..... the community and support is great as well.