PDA

View Full Version : What's the point of Gnome?

Mr.Glen
April 29th, 2007, 02:47 AM
Seriously, I see no reason for Gnome.

dspari1
April 29th, 2007, 02:49 AM
The point of Gnome is to assume that all its users are idiots. Well, that is what Linus Torvalds said! :popcorn:

Nonno Bassotto
April 29th, 2007, 03:11 AM
What is the point of your post? Seriously, I see no reason for your post.

icechen1
April 29th, 2007, 03:15 AM
The point of Gnome is to assume that all its users are idiots. Well, that is what Linus Torvalds said! :popcorn:

Well,if someone think that post is useless,then see http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS8745257437.html
Linus do want user to swich to KDE.

Mr.Glen
April 29th, 2007, 03:15 AM
What is the point of your post? Seriously, I see no reason for your post.

I'm curious, I hope there is some point to it.

DarkN00b
April 29th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Gnome - like all other DEs - is there to provide an alternative to KDE. Same goes for KDE in relation to all other DEs.

Mr.Glen
April 29th, 2007, 03:21 AM
Gnome - like all other DEs - is there to provide an alternative to KDE. Same goes for KDE in relation to all other DEs.

That's stupid.

DarkN00b
April 29th, 2007, 03:27 AM
That's stupid.

It is about choice. I don't like KDE so I use Gnome. Choice is what Linux is all about.

I don't really care what Linus thinks. He created the Linux kernel and made it open source. Others created Gnome as a graphical intrerface for it. Others created KDE. Gnome is a choice -- like KDE.

Kujen
April 29th, 2007, 03:28 AM
That's stupid.

Your arguments are horribly convincing. Please, go on.

Mr.Glen
April 29th, 2007, 03:33 AM
Your arguments are horribly convincing. Please, go on.

According to him DEs exist to not be other DEs. If you don't see what's wrong with that then you need to look at it longer.

aysiu
April 29th, 2007, 03:35 AM
This belongs in the Gnome v. KDE thread for sure.

Edit: On second thought, it just should be closed.

JT673
April 29th, 2007, 03:40 AM
I can already see that this thread is going to Flamesville, but I'll do my best to stop it...Flame suit on: http://www.yoda.arachsys.com/worms/wa/anims/gfx/wblowlk.gif

We live in what's called democractic nations (or at least republic, right?)...That means we get to choose stuff, whether they're bad for us or not. (Fine, that's not the meaning of democracy, or republic, but close enough :P...)

That also means we can choose which computer, which parts, which OS, which DE and which apps to use.

So don't go around bossing people around, because they won't like it.

Oh, and by democracy or republic, I mean the forms of government, not the parties. I'm not a politics person.

Mr.Glen
April 29th, 2007, 03:40 AM
This belongs in the Gnome v. KDE thread for sure.

Excuse me, I was asking what the reasoning for gnome was not which one is better

Mr.Glen
April 29th, 2007, 03:42 AM
I can already see that this thread is going to Flamesville, but I'll do my best to stop it...Flame suit on: http://www.yoda.arachsys.com/worms/wa/anims/gfx/wblowlk.gif

We live in what's called democractic nations (or at least republic, right?)...That means we get to choose stuff, whether they're bad for us or not. (Fine, that's not the meaning of democracy, or republic, but close enough :P...)

That also means we can choose which computer, which parts, which OS, which DE and which apps to use.

So don't go around bossing people around, because they won't like it.

That was not my purpose for the post. Don't assume stuff.