PDA

View Full Version : PyGTK Glade, insert text into TextView

Naatan
April 28th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Hi, I have an app with a textview and I'm trying to insert text into it,

By now I've figured out that your supposed to use a buffer, but I can't figure out how it works exactly.

I've googled a lot, but I can't find anything, sadly there's hardly any glade documentation / reference or tutorials out there.

So, anyone got an idea?

Thanks in advance!

seamless
April 29th, 2007, 02:23 AM
You should have something like the following to load the widget fromt the glade file

self.wTree = gtk.glade.XML(gladeFile)
self.entryForText = self.wTree.get_widget("name_of_text_widget_in_glade_file")

To put text into the glade file you need to get the buffer then use set_text(). You can do it all in one command like this:

self.entryForText.get_buffer().set_text("blah")

Naatan
April 29th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Cool, that worked :) Only now every time I use that command it replaces the text that's currently in there, but I need to add it underneath the current text.

Any clue?

seamless
April 29th, 2007, 05:49 PM
The insert function is the one you want to use.

self.entryForText.get_buffer().insert(self.entryFo rText.get_buffer().get_end_iter(), "\n" + your_text)

Take a look at http://www.pygtk.org/docs/pygtk/index.html it has all the information about working with GTK widgets in python. Also take a look at /usr/lib/pygtk/2.0/demos/ and http://www.pygtk.org/tutorial.html.

Naatan
April 30th, 2007, 01:24 PM
awesome, thank you :)

Nekiruhs
August 6th, 2007, 03:24 AM
Sorry to hijack threads but, I have a list from

variable2 = os.popen('find / -name' + variable)
variable3 = variable2.readlines()
And I want to display it in a text view, but it says requires a string not a list, so I did

variable3 = str(variable2.readlines())
But that produces results like
['/usr/bin/firefox\n', '/usr/bin/exaile\n']There all on the same line, with brackets and single quotes around it, and with the newline symbols showing.

Ideally, I want to have the results display on one per line, with single quotes, but no new line symbol and no brackets. Any way to do this in Python + PyGTK + Glade?

errepunto
October 14th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Hello

The built-in function str() only converts a type into a representable string, but it isn't that you are looking for.

The most simple thing you cand do is read all as an string instead of reading separated lines and joining them using the read method with a negative parameter:

variable3 = variable2.read(-1)

But if you want to build an string from a array of strings you can use the join() method of str objects. Documentation about this method that all (ALL!) strings have is documented in http://docs.python.org/library/stdtypes.html#string-methods, but you only need to know that it uses an string to concatenate elements of an array.

For example, if you want to join all lines with UNIX end line characters (\n), you can do this:

variable3 = '\n'.join(variable2.readlines())

Note that you must call method of the string used to join elements, in this example is the UNIX end line character.

The complete snippet example, including GTK part will be:

variable3 = variable2.read(-1)
#gtk
self.entryForText.get_buffer().insert(self.entryFo rText.get_buffer().get_end_iter(), variable3)

Or this if you want to use the "expensive" form of reading the text:

variable3 = '\n'.join(variable2.readlines())
#gtk
self.entryForText.get_buffer().insert(self.entryFo rText.get_buffer().get_end_iter(), variable3)

Regards.