PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Problems

karmah
June 19th, 2005, 01:11 AM
aah ****...Last "night" i slept
3 hours and the "night" beofre that I slept..hmm...4...and 3 before that one..And this night I don't seem to any sleep at all :(..I tried to experiment with my sleeping habits by going to bed 9 o'clock.(21:00) but it resulted in lying on the bed for 3 hours doing nothing. So I went for a nightwalk and it was really nice..then I found a little hill I could rest on until dawn..But it got too cold so I went back home and I still can't sleep..Anyone have a good trick or the same problem and want to share it?

Mez
June 19th, 2005, 02:48 AM
yeah I cant sleep most of the team, I read, or mess about on my comp for a bit. but my gf gets annoyed if she goes to bed and I'm still on the cop - so I tnd to read more.

You spoken to your doctor? maybe they can provide sleeping tablets?

karmah
June 19th, 2005, 02:53 AM
Naah I wouldn't like that. I usually dont even take pills for headache. I'm not sure why though, it feels like pills would only make stuff worse. I think exercising helps alot. But I'm usually so tired so I can't go out jogging or anything :( something called 'an evil circle' in swedish, Sleeping problems leads to No jogging, which leads to sleeping problems, which leads to no jogging, etc. etc.. Not sure of what it's called in english.

Mez
June 19th, 2005, 02:55 AM
a vicious circle would be the closest :D but "catch 22 " would probably be the berst :D

karmah
June 19th, 2005, 03:02 AM
Haha, yeah :P. Well im going back to the 'lying trying to sleep' state now, see what happens..Time is 4 in the morning here..Thank god for summerholidayz. I wish you good luck with the sleeping :)

XDevHald
June 19th, 2005, 03:02 AM
I've never had any sleeping problems, but it does help to eat a healthy vitamin snack every 3 hours and only follow by 3 meals a day and never eat later than 10:00pm, could cause more energy build up and makes the blood flow go faster if you eat sugars late at night, or even heavy foods such as chicken or rice could even cause fast blood pressure and making your energy boost much faster.

I used to do body building but now only atheletic workouts to keep me in shape for work. I hope this helps a little as it has for my co-workers.

phen
June 19th, 2005, 03:08 AM
break this circle, and do some sports. eat healthy. if you still can't sleep, allthough you already doing this go and buy some herb-medicine (valerian in english). if this still does not help, it is time to counsel a doctor i think!

cheers,

kai

jerome bettis
June 19th, 2005, 03:11 AM
if i can't sleep (not very often anymore) i take one or two of these valarian root tablets and i'm _out_ in about 20-30 minutes. they're not synthetic sleeping pills, just some natural chinese herbs and such.

Gir
June 19th, 2005, 03:15 AM
stay out of bed unless you are sleeping. Don't read in bed or whatever (certain other activities okay though :wink: ). Also, try to have a fixed bedtime wind-down routine like wash face, brush teeth, listen to a few quiet mp3s, etc. I also like showering at night - a nice warm 5 minute one to relax. Drink a cup of hot,no-caffeine tea. If you can, a fixed bedtime is great, but not always feasible. If you can't sleep, don't lie in bed for more than 1/2 hour, get up and walk around - get a drink of water, play a quiet mp3 (nothing too stimulating, then go back to bed and try again. Repeat if necessary.

I have a huge insomnia issue. Trust me.

Gir.

Kyral
June 19th, 2005, 03:39 AM
I only have trouble sleeping if I don't take my medication at night (not sleeping meds, for something else, but it has that effect). Or I'll just have random problems sleeping (the other night I kept trying to type "sudo apt-get update" into thin air)

TravisNewman
June 19th, 2005, 03:51 AM
Melatonin is your friend. It's not synthetic really, it's a chemical that exists naturally in humans, and some people have a deficiency. When I can't sleep, I take one pill and I'm good. It lets you sleep, it doesn't make you sleep.

Adrenal
June 19th, 2005, 04:00 AM
Warm milk with honey does well.
As does counting
If all else fails, clear your mind of all thought

carlc
June 19th, 2005, 04:15 AM
I have found that I sleep best when I get into a routine of 6 hours of sleep at night with no naps during the day. I think the key is going to bed and getting up at the same time each day. If for some reason I can not sleep, then I get up until I am tired and then make sure to get up at my usual time. If that happens, I usually end up with about 3 hours of sleep and I just tough it out the next day and don't go to sleep until my usual time.

Apart from that, I exercise a lot and try to eat healthy. I do not drink caffeinated or sugar laden drinks. I drink water, soy milk, and juice.

If you are having sleeping problems, I would advise staying away from taking anything to make yourself sleep and alcohol for any reason.

TravisNewman
June 19th, 2005, 04:31 AM
wow. 6 hours? I would be tired all day on 6 hours. But one of my friends is groggy if he gets more than 5. Different needs for different people. I'm glad I'm not one of those who needs like 10 hours to function thgouh.

primeirocrime
June 19th, 2005, 11:34 AM
I have anxiety insomnia and over the years I developed tricks to deal with it.

read something really boring or complex, in bed.
[but nothin with compeling plots]

watch tv shop programs [it's so numbing it makes me sleep after 30 minutes]

wake up always, but always at the same time. [except when going out with friends]

not to advocate drugs, but natural ones like valeriana work very well without beeing adictive and/or mind numbing.

Lovechild
June 19th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Get daily exercise, eat healthy, if that doesn't help go see a doctor

karmah
June 19th, 2005, 02:02 PM
aah, thank you all very much. I'll bookmark this thread so I can watch it when I need to sleep :D. I'll report if I make progress.

carlc
June 19th, 2005, 02:56 PM
wow. 6 hours? I would be tired all day on 6 hours. But one of my friends is groggy if he gets more than 5. Different needs for different people. I'm glad I'm not one of those who needs like 10 hours to function thgouh.

6 does it for me. More or less and I feel tired when I wake up.

weekend warrior
June 19th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Two possibilities...

Warm milk - this has tryptophan in it, the same ingredient that makes everyone sleepy. Or if that doesn't work then a combination of chamomile and valerian should put you to sleep, try this:

1 cup / 250 ml water
1 ounce / 30 gr chamomile
1 ounce / 30 gr valerian
1 ounce / 30 gr mint

Bring water to a boil; remove from heat and add herbs. Let steep for 3 to 5 minutes; strain, and drink slowly.

HTH

jazzabelle
June 20th, 2005, 12:57 AM
Valerian and camomile are very helpful and also passiflora {you can get this from a herbalist or naturopath. Possibly heath stores depending on where you live}. An herbalist could also suggest infusions of lime blossom, hops and california poppy which all have a sedative effect.

Another suggestion is lavender as aromatherapy. Or even camomile and orange blossom extract. Use them in a burner in your bedroom or in a warm bath about 30 minutes before bed.

As mentioned, exercise is also great for insomnia; a walk or a swim.

dolny
June 20th, 2005, 01:11 AM
I sleep 4-5 hours a day. Today it will be 4 hours again. I look/feel like a zombie all day. I gotta learn how to sleep. Funny thing is that I spent that time doing nothing, I should be sleeping. Good night.

TravisNewman
June 20th, 2005, 01:28 AM
Then its our job to make this thread as boring as possible so that when you come back to read it, it puts you to sleep immediately.

My idea is copying in VCR manuals.

tread
June 20th, 2005, 02:03 AM
Or I could start singing a lullaby:

Hush little baby, don't say a word
And never mind that noise you heard
It's just the beast under your bed,
In your closet, in your head ...

:)

TravisNewman
June 20th, 2005, 02:05 AM
Or I could start singing a lullaby:

:)
rock!

FLeiXiuS
June 20th, 2005, 02:10 AM
rock!
lmao, would it be sad to say that I typically get around 2 hours of sleep each day during the week :-). On the weekends I go crazy. Last nite I was up till 9am resolving this ICMP tunnel problem I was getting...so a geek has to do what a geek as to do. Well I woke up at around 8pm the next day :-). And this is where I lay right now.

tread
June 20th, 2005, 02:10 AM
Funny thing, I had a friend who couldn't sleep unless he had Metallica blaring in the background

carlc
June 20th, 2005, 03:36 AM
A white noise machine might do the trick.

Am I the only Seinfeld fan around here. I can relate most of life back to an episode of Seinfeld and sleep problems brings to mind at least two.

Quest-Master
June 20th, 2005, 04:08 AM
If I'm not tired, I just leave lots and lots of music playing while I'm in bed, and I usually am focusing on how awesome I would like jamming out to this solo being played or simply being awed by how great the song is overall.

This way, I don't have all of these thoughts going through my head about life, tomorrow, and all of that other stuff which will keep you up all night.

karmah
June 20th, 2005, 09:40 PM
lmao, would it be sad to say that I typically get around 2 hours of sleep each day during the week :-). On the weekends I go crazy. Last nite I was up till 9am resolving this ICMP tunnel problem I was getting...so a geek has to do what a geek as to do. Well I woke up at around 8pm the next day :-). And this is where I lay
right now.

LOL! hahaha, that's unusual! Doesn't seem like a very good solution though.

If I'm not tired, I just leave lots and lots of music playing while I'm in bed, and I usually am focusing on how awesome I would like jamming out to this solo being played or simply being awed by how great the song is overall.

This way, I don't have all of these thoughts going through my head about life, tomorrow, and all of that other stuff which will keep you up all night.

Interesting, I often listen to music while lying in bed, but it's more to calm down or just to listen to good music, I'll try this one out.

Spoofhound
June 20th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Copious quantities of Talisker Single Malt or strong Belgian Trappist beer tend to do the trick for me - of course the downside of this is having to start a whole new thread on hangover cures. Ouch!

darkoptix
June 20th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Playing music while I sleep is pretty good, I find it great when you can't sleep.

How do people only have like 4 or 5 hours of sleep? I need 8 or more hours to feel any good in the morning...

granite230
June 20th, 2005, 11:53 PM
Playing music while I sleep is pretty good, I find it great when you can't sleep.

I'm playing music right now on my computer (I live in the Netherlands, right now it's 01:00). It's the music that keeps me out of bed! I'm so hooked I don't want to go to bed unless I nearly drop right off my chair.
Sometimes i'm late for school, can't get out of bed in the morning. Realy sucks, maybe I have to buy myself an mp3-player so I can listen in bed and fall asleep with it.

qeek
June 21st, 2005, 12:23 AM
How do people only have like 4 or 5 hours of sleep? I need 8 or more hours to feel any good in the morning...
There is no need to feel good in the morning... I sleep usually about 5h per day during the week (only on the weekends about 9) and I feel a little tired everyday, but... time is priceless, I don't have time for the longer sleep :)

@karmah
Visit http://www.well.com/user/mick/insomnia/insomnia.html - this website will surely help you :)

karmah
June 21st, 2005, 02:03 AM
There is no need to feel good in the morning... I sleep usually about 5h per day during the week (only on the weekends about 9) and I feel a little tired everyday, but... time is priceless, I don't have time for the longer sleep :)

@karmah
Visit http://www.well.com/user/mick/insomnia/insomnia.html - this website will surely help you :)
Thanks for the link, but about that time is priceless..I've heard many people use that as an argument for staying up late and sleeping only a few hours, including me. But I've discovered that you actually save time being alert when being awake. You get so much more work (or fun) done and it's really gives me alot more of my time being alert. I never thought about this until I, one year, on the christmas holidays, happened to sleep like 13 hours every day. And when I got back to school, suddenly everything was so easy and fun !! I think you should try it out ;).

My dad is hmm..dunno the word. Runner-trainer? :S well..that's a good explanation at least, he was in OS back in the days, and he taught me alot about the relation between training and sleeping. One good thing to know is that you sleep more effective if you have done exercises during the day. Being out in fresh air also helps alot. :razz:

qeek
June 21st, 2005, 02:24 AM
Thanks for the link, but about that time is priceless..I've heard many people use that as an argument for staying up late and sleeping only a few hours, including me. But I've discovered that you actually save time being alert when being awake. You get so much more work (or fun) done and it's really gives me alot more of my time being alert. I never thought about this until I, one year, on the christmas holidays, happened to sleep like 13 hours every day. And when I got back to school, suddenly everything was so easy and fun !! I think you should try it out ;).
Yes I know, when I sleep longer I feel better. But always when I wake up after 9 or more hours sleeping I start to think "****, I should wake up earlier...". Maybe it is crazy, but I reflected about it many times and I still think that this way of living is good for me. Caffeine and lots of free time :)

karmah
June 21st, 2005, 02:28 AM
Yes I know, when I sleep longer I feel better. But always when I wake up after 9 or more hours sleeping I start to think "****, I should wake up earlier...". Maybe it is crazy, but I reflected about it many times and I still think that this way of living is good for me. Caffeine and lots of free time :)
OK :). As I use to say: Every man lives his own life. It applies to women too ;o.
I'm going to use all of the useful tips and tricks I've heard from people here and go to sleep, starting today, good night :)

qeek
June 21st, 2005, 02:31 AM
good night! :D

bored2k
June 21st, 2005, 02:44 AM

@karmah
Thanks for the link. Greatly. Thanks dude. Muchas Gracias. Merci beaucoup. Thank you. *wait no.. sheeps go away, its early :@! :mad: *

carlc
June 21st, 2005, 03:00 AM
Originally Posted by qeek
There is no need to feel good in the morning... I sleep usually about 5h per day during the week (only on the weekends about 9) and I feel a little tired everyday, but... time is priceless, I don't have time for the longer sleep

@karmah
Visit http://www.well.com/user/mick/insomnia/insomnia.html - this website will surely help you

that is a good link, it has some info for progressive relaxation which is nice when done right, the best sleep that I have had in a long time was when a yoga instructor had us go through some progressive relaxation, I doubt she meant to put people to sleep but I was out like a light