PDA

View Full Version : best computer programming language for beginner

mikawber
April 28th, 2007, 02:29 PM
I've done quite a bit of C++ programming in my college courses, however it has all been either MS dos or in the terminal. However, I would like to teach myself some type of GUI. I read about GTKmm which souns good since i'll be able to use my basic knowledge of C++. Anyways, what I'm asking is if I should stick with C++ or learn another language like Java? What will make me more marketable to employers? Thanks and please no flame wars over suggestions.

seamless
April 28th, 2007, 04:17 PM
C++ and Java will both make you markektable to employers. Since you already have a grasp of C++ just stick with it and either use GTKmm or Qt.

mikawber
April 28th, 2007, 04:36 PM
C++ and Java will both make you markektable to employers. Since you already have a grasp of C++ just stick with it and either use GTKmm or Qt.

ok thanks. Do you know of any good tutorials with GTKmm? I've looked over their official tutorial but it doesn't go very in depth. Thanks

seamless
April 29th, 2007, 02:31 AM
For GTKmm you will need to use GTK tutorials and convert to GTKmm yourself. They are similar with mm having support for C++ features. If you need something that goes more indepth you would be better off looking at the official documentation for Qt from Trolltech. Qt also has a few books avaliable on it. Professonaly Qt may be better to learn than GTKmm because it is used more offten for comercial applications.