PDA

View Full Version : How long should updates take to download?

CoriolisSTORM
June 18th, 2005, 08:27 PM
I'm about to install ubuntu, and well, I thought about just ordering the newer version from a place so as to avoid having to download the 4.10 to 5.04 updates. But, how long would the updates take on a 56k connection? Right now I am connected at 21.6 kbps if it means anything. Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I didnt know where it went, and figured general discussion kind of fit it.
edit: On the kind of same note, I'm about to go to town and buy another hdd to put Linux on. How do I need to go about installing it on another hard drive? I have a C and D partition on one drive, and am probably going to use the other drive as a backup and Linux only drive. Ideas? I'm thinking formatting it as FAT 32 so they can both read and write to it? How would I get it to load Linux on startup?

jdong
June 18th, 2005, 10:42 PM
Updates from Warty to Hoary are about 600MB. In other words, VERY long for dial-up!

poofyhairguy
June 19th, 2005, 12:25 AM
I'm about to install ubuntu, and well, I thought about just ordering the newer version from a place so as to avoid having to download the 4.10 to 5.04 updates. But, how long would the updates take on a 56k connection?

How ever long it takes to download the entire Ubuntu install CD. Its about the same.

TravisNewman
June 19th, 2005, 12:41 AM
I'd suggest using a download manager (if you're still in Windows at the moment I'd suggest GetRight) to download the install image of hoary whenever you have the chance to have your connection going. It will be able to resume downloads whenever you reconnect, so you don't lose any that you've already gotten. Then you can just install that and not worry about downloading all those packages.

CoriolisSTORM
June 19th, 2005, 01:58 AM
ugh. I think I'll just go out and buy them. That's too much. I tried to download the Knoppix LiveCD with Getright, and it calculated it would take a week downloading 24 hours a day. I think I'll find a place to buy it.

poofyhairguy
June 19th, 2005, 02:27 AM
I think I'll find a place to buy it.

Great idea.

If I was on dial-up, I would buy this:

http://www.linuxcd.org/view_item.php?lst=1&id_cate=22&id_distro=196&id_version=962

Optimal Aurora
June 19th, 2005, 02:31 AM
hay or find a friend that has dsl and ask them to download it and burn it for them... Heck you could pay the 20 cent for the disk and maybe a few dollars for the time...