PDA

View Full Version : It's FEISTY, not FIESTY!!!

Happy_Man
April 28th, 2007, 12:59 AM
Has anyone else noticed this? Whenever I go over to the ABT forum, there are pages and pages full of "bla bla bla fiesty bla bla bla." :mad:
Why? Are you so bad at typing that you cannot even spell Feisty? Or do you speak Spanish, in which case you would be used to typing "fiesta?" If so, I forgive you. If not (which is the vast majority of you) you have no excuse. I wish we all slowed down enough to correct spelling errors... the world would be better. O:)

mac.ryan
April 28th, 2007, 01:25 AM
Well... if you follow gutsy gibbon discussions, there is people calling it already "Gusty"... type it in google, and you will see the search sends to "gutsy", proof that many links have been misspelled...

TOTALLY OT:

A great man once said: "We must be the change we wish to see in the world." I wish I knew who the guy who said this was. Does that mean I have to be the guy?Every time I see your sig I think of this... There is a flaw in its logic: If you wish to know who the person was, and you need to be the change, than you ought be the knowledge, not the person... :)

TBOL3
April 28th, 2007, 01:31 AM
I like what Mark Twain said. "I give a **** to the man who can only spell one way." (Don't quote me on that, It's only what I heard).

Hex_Mandos
April 28th, 2007, 01:35 AM
AS a Spanish speaker, I sometimes deliberately misspell it. It really sounds like... dessert, for some reason.

"Gusty" is the short form of "Gustavo", so I'll probably misspell and mispronounce it too, just because it sounds better (or not, if you think for a moment).

fuscia
April 28th, 2007, 01:56 AM
i so wish you and whoever started the other thread about the exact same thing had never brought it up. it's like someone said the mona lisa has something in her teeth. so what? she stil has a nice smile, hasn't she (even though there's a booger hanging out of her nose)?

Tundro Walker
April 28th, 2007, 02:07 AM
I before E, except after C, and sometimes Y, except on Tuesday, then it's G, unless you're standing on one foot, then it's...

Honestly, fiesty, feisty...why didn't they just call it "fast fawn?" But, then again, we wouldn't be having this riveting conversation of bad grammar.

To be fair, English is one of the most difficult, screwed up languages in the world. All the stupid rules, and useless consonants... Man, starting to sound like Gallagher and his English language rants.

Ireclan
April 28th, 2007, 02:23 AM
Honestly, who cares how people spell it, as long as it's close? Why, in Chaucer's day, it was perfectly acceptable to spell a word inconsistently within the same DOCUMENT.

jiminycricket
April 28th, 2007, 02:24 AM
I once read someone calling it, "this fety thing", probably on Slashdot.

aysiu
April 28th, 2007, 02:27 AM
Drapper Drake
Fiesty Fawn
Gusty Gibbon

~LoKe
April 28th, 2007, 02:30 AM
why didn't they just call it "fast fawn?"
Feisty and fast are nothing alike. Why should we dump things down just because some people can't spell?

mac.ryan
April 28th, 2007, 02:43 AM
...I begin to believe it must be the curse of the Glossy Gnu... ;)

Happy_Man
April 28th, 2007, 02:47 AM
Every time I see your sig I think of this... There is a flaw in its logic: If you wish to know who the person was, and you need to be the change, than you ought be the knowledge, not the person... :)

Hmm....perhaps I should revise it then....

fuscia
April 28th, 2007, 02:47 AM
Honestly, fiesty, feisty...why didn't they just call it "fast fawn?"

"...she soon found herself in a clearing, seperated from her mother and surrounded by the pack. an odd sensation came over her. despite her every instinct and fear telling her to run, she turned and faced the frothing teeth of those who would be the last she would ever see..."

justin whitaker
April 28th, 2007, 03:26 AM
Duuuuuuudes.....chillllllll. Feisty, fiesty. Gutsy, gusty. It's all Ubuntu man! It's all good. Linux only cares if you know how to spell on the Command Line, man!

psionyk
April 28th, 2007, 03:31 AM
I dunno, Gusty Gibbon could mean that it swings through trees faster than the wind, sounds kinda cool to me.

On the other hand, it could mean that zookeepers have been feeding them too many beans....

Better stick with Gutsy.

justin whitaker
April 28th, 2007, 03:32 AM
I dunno, Gusty Gibbon could mean that it swings through trees faster than the wind, sounds kinda cool to me.

On the other hand, it could mean that zookeepers have been feeding them too many beans....

Better stick with Gutsy.

I think those Gibbons have had enough!

:)

steven8
April 28th, 2007, 03:53 AM
I don't know. I love Fistey Fwan so far! And I love Darpper Draek too!

TBOL3
April 28th, 2007, 03:56 AM
All go so far as to say Feistawn Fy

DoctorMO
April 28th, 2007, 05:28 AM
So tell me is the word supposed to be f-a-y-s-t-i-y or f-e-y-s-t-i-y or perhaps even f-i-y-s-t-i-y? because I have a spelling rule some where in my brain which makes me want to spell feisty, fiesty and I'm not sure if it's because I normally spell a-y sounds ie or what but it didn't come from misreading it.

dbbolton
April 28th, 2007, 05:39 AM
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m128/envyouraudience/feisty.png

Tundro Walker
April 28th, 2007, 05:55 AM
LOL! Yeah, but that's Digg.com...EVERYBODY misspells things on there, because they're learning that "Nu Englesh". (puts on flame-retardant suit)

Didn't think I would touch such a nerve with the "Fast Fawn" remark. I understand that "Feisty" is not the same as "Fast"...my point was, they could have picked another "F" word instead of "Feisty"..."Fast", "Ferocious", "Fertile", "Frenzied", "Fortuitous"... The "Fortuitous" Fawn...sounds like a pub name.

Gusty Gibbon
Harrowing Hedgehog
Intrepid Iguana
Juxtaposed Jackal
Kung-Fu Kangaroo

dbbolton
April 28th, 2007, 06:04 AM
LOL! Yeah, but that's Digg.com...EVERYBODY misspells things on there, because they're learning that "Nu Englesh". (puts on flame-retardant suit)

Didn't think I would touch such a nerve with the "Fast Fawn" remark. I understand that "Feisty" is not the same as "Fast"...my point was, they could have picked another "F" word instead of "Feisty"..."Fast", "Ferocious", "Fertile", "Frenzied", "Fortuitous"... The "Fortuitous" Fawn...sounds like a pub name.

Gusty Gibbon
Harrowing Hedgehog
Intrepid Iguana
Juxtaposed Jackal
Kung-Fu Kangaroo
i wasn't trying to use digg.com justify "fiesty." i simply found it amusing that google instantly asks whether i meant "feisty."

igknighted
April 28th, 2007, 06:11 AM
It's the stupid qwerty keyboard... they way your fingers move it's an easy typo to make. I made a thread around the beta time begging for a name change for just this reason ;). But yeah, it's not that people don't know how to spell it (although it DOES break the rule of english), but the fault of qwerty.

dbbolton
April 28th, 2007, 06:57 AM
It's the stupid qwerty keyboard... they way your fingers move it's an easy typo to make. I made a thread around the beta time begging for a name change for just this reason ;). But yeah, it's not that people don't know how to spell it (although it DOES break the rule of english), but the fault of qwerty.
"feisty" is easy for germanophones to spell. "pie" is not. ;)

sup
April 28th, 2007, 08:56 AM
To be fair, English is one of the most difficult, screwed up languages in the world. All the stupid rules, and useless consonants... Man, starting to sound like Gallagher and his English language rants.
Sorry, but I seriously doubt that. No inflexion (unless you consider "s" for plural to be hard to understand), simple conjugation and so on. I personally think that the further you go east and in time from present Great Britain the more complicated languages you find...

STREETURCHINE
April 28th, 2007, 09:48 AM
when you are reading the human brain only require the first and last letters to be in the right place
it can then decipher what sees into a percievable word

the hmuan barin olny nedes the frist and lsat lerttes to be in palce

so what is all the fuss about a few spelling errors

steven8
April 28th, 2007, 09:51 AM
when you are reading the human brain only require the first and last letters to be in the right place
it can then decipher what sees into a percievable word

the hmuan barin olny nedes the frist and lsat lerttes to be in palce

Dno't konw. Ask the OP.

reclusivemonkey
April 28th, 2007, 09:55 AM
There's really no excuse with Firefox's built in spell checker... fiesty gets flagged straight away!

bapoumba
April 28th, 2007, 10:34 AM

Sorry I have not read the whole thread, so this might have been said already.

When you perform searches, if one of your key words is feisty, you may not be able to find the proper and helpful information if the relevant web page is referring to fiesty.

Macintosh Sauce
April 28th, 2007, 10:40 AM
It's FEISTY, not FIESTY!!!

http://www.seascape.us/jrhodes/lol.gif

Thank you for clearing that up.

lepz
April 28th, 2007, 10:51 AM
There's really no excuse with Firefox's built in spell checker... fiesty gets flagged straight away!

I just been pulled up for "centre" :confused:

STREETURCHINE
April 28th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Sorry I have not read the whole thread, so this might have been said already.

When you perform searches, if one of your key words is feisty, you may not be able to find the proper and helpful information if the relevant web page is referring to fiesty.

when you search these forums you have to spell it both ways as there are lots of cries for help spelt with fiesty and also lots with feisty.

reclusivemonkey
April 28th, 2007, 11:00 AM
I just been pulled up for "centre" :confused:

Right click in Firefox, select "Languages --> English / United Kingdom".

This will also work for colour ;-)

jclmusic
April 28th, 2007, 11:00 AM
sorry, off topic, but...

A great man once said: "We must be the change we wish to see in the world." I wish I knew who the guy who said this was. Does that mean I have to be the guy?

wasn't it Ghandi?

bapoumba
April 28th, 2007, 03:23 PM
when you search these forums you have to spell it both ways as there are lots of cries for help spelt with fiesty and also lots with feisty.
Yes, same from google. *sigh*

Shay Stephens
April 28th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Feisty and fast are nothing alike. Why should we dump things down just because some people can't spell?
If you are going to complain about peoples spelling and dumbing things down, you may want to take the extra time to make sure your own post is perfect.

Myself, I am finding that I am wanting to spell it fiesty, and it is taking a real effort to spell it feisty.

lepz
April 28th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Right click in Firefox, select "Languages --> English / United Kingdom".

This will also work for colour ;-)

Thanks but I'm not getting "Languages" to select --> English / United Kingdom?

It's ok I sussed it ;)

Crashmaxx
April 28th, 2007, 07:07 PM

+1

Isn't that such an awesome thing? I would have spelled feisty wrong so many times already otherwise.

Chilli Bob
April 29th, 2007, 03:11 PM
The great thing about English is there is no prescriptive tome that defines spelling or grammar. If many people spell it FIESTY (and I do), then it is by definition correct, and it is up to the dictionaries and spell checkers to catch up. That's how Websters can have "color" and Oxford have "colour" and both be correct.

Shay Stephens
April 30th, 2007, 02:03 AM
The great thing about English is there is no prescriptive tome that defines spelling or grammar. If many people spell it FIESTY (and I do), then it is by definition correct, and it is up to the dictionaries and spell checkers to catch up. That's how Websters can have "color" and Oxford have "colour" and both be correct.

You can also make up words and have them show up in the dictionar...like Homer's D'oh!

igknighted
April 30th, 2007, 02:12 AM
Honestly, I think Ubuntu is to blame for this. Part of choosing a name for a new release is the spell-ability and they did a poor job testing this out. While I am sure it is partially poor spelling (after all, fiesty is correct if you follow the "i before e" standard), the qwerty keyboard also adds to the difficulty. How often do you see "teh"? Also a qwerty typo. Ubuntu should take more care when naming. Edgy and Dapper were easy to remember and spell. "Gutsy" isn't as bad as feisty, but its not where it should be.

Shay Stephens
April 30th, 2007, 04:45 AM
"Gutsy" isn't as bad as feisty, but its not where it should be.

I always see "gusty" like windy. That one is going to take so getting used to also!

FuturePilot
April 30th, 2007, 04:47 AM
I always see "gusty" like windy. That one is going to take so getting used to also!
I'm guilty of that one. At a quick glance it looks like Gusty.:lolflag:

soulfly7x
April 30th, 2007, 05:08 AM
But... I like my edition of Fiesta Frown. :???:

mac.ryan
May 1st, 2007, 12:50 AM
sorry, off topic, but...

wasn't it Ghandi?

This is formal coherence! :) An off-topic still being "in-topic"... as the correct spelling would be Gandhi! :D

(However yes... Gandhi is normally credited for this sentence, although you can easily track almost identical sentences in various literature and popular wisdom before him)

To credit those who mentioned English has no prescriptive spelling: Wikipedia accepts Ghandi as an entry (and redirect to Gandhi...).

igknighted
May 1st, 2007, 01:46 AM
To credit those who mentioned English has no prescriptive spelling: Wikipedia accepts Ghandi as an entry (and redirect to Gandhi...).

If you look at it like that, English is truly an opensource language, we should all be supporting it... at least we should avoid french and their strict control of what goes into the language ;-)

^^^ all in jest before someone gets offended :)

Artstew
May 1st, 2007, 03:43 AM
Drapper Drake
Fiesty Fawn
Gusty Gibbon

Is that right? I'm so green I don't know the differance. I thought it was fisty fawn... lmao...
no.. but i do know how to spell, i just didn't realise it mattered WHAT it was. And if you know what someone's talking about when they spel it wrong then wats the problem bob? lol

STREETURCHINE
May 1st, 2007, 10:02 AM
Is that right? I'm so green I don't know the differance. I thought it was fisty fawn... lmao...
no.. but i do know how to spell, i just didn't realise it mattered WHAT it was. And if you know what someone's talking about when they spel it wrong then wats the problem bob? lol

lol ,we just av ta let the gramma junkies av there say,so thay can proov they are better than us that cant spell or corect our typos. :)

just a light hearted dig in the ribs

waxapple
May 1st, 2007, 10:17 AM
Shakespeare had multiple different spellings for his name.
What's more; some people are dyslexic - although I'm sure that doesn't account for everyone :p

Aetherius
May 1st, 2007, 12:07 PM

All well and good, but if half the populace suddenly decide that they like spelling a word a different way then we get redundant data. Ideally as men (and women) of the information world we should be aiming to streamline and standardise (not standardize :D )

I don't like having to do more work sheerly because people are too lazy or too arrogant or just don't know what the little red line under the word means.

DISCLAIMER: I'm fond of spelling and database normalisation. :lolflag:

cornell737
May 3rd, 2007, 02:36 PM
"I" before "E" except after "C", unless it's an "A" as in "Neighbor" and "Weigh". Or it's Feisty.

Re: Fast Fawn... Note that the adjectives tend to denote leading edge, courage, outstanding... "Fast" would not be good. "Feisty" is nice.

Re: Consistent spelling... it was quite common for a word to have multiple spelling. Someone, an American Founding Father, as I recall, asserted that anyone who could spell a word only one way suffered a serious lack of imagination. However this did allow for more confusion and miscommunication, so Mr. Webster decided to make a list of words and their "proper" spelling. This later grew to include a pronunciation guide and definition.

Re: making up words... it is only through common usage that a verbal sound becomes a useful word. Due to the popularity of the Simpsons, we have D'oh and embiggens, two perfectly cromulent words. However if we sratel and reforget, uptwilingly, then wotles will truly flester.

robenroute
May 5th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Sorry, but I seriously doubt that. No inflexion (unless you consider "s" for plural to be hard to understand), simple conjugation and so on. I personally think that the further you go east and in time from present Great Britain the more complicated languages you find...

Until you start teaching English! English is a very complicated language indeed. Try to explain to people that the letter "o", for instance, has eight different pronunciations. Explain to people that when you say "photograph", the stress is on the first syllable and the second "o" has a schwa sound, whereas the word "photographer" has stress on the second syllable, but now the first "o" knows the schwa sound. It's just not consistent and that throws people off. Why do we write "plough" and "cough" nearly identical, but the sound is not even close.

Why do we say "fast red racing car" instead of "red fast racing car", or even "fast racing red car"? And if you think you've figured out the "rules" for the order of adjectives, how do you explain "big bad wolf"?

If you like, I could carry on for a few more hours. :wink: