PDA

View Full Version : Five reasons for keeping Windows

Tauhshi
April 27th, 2007, 11:31 PM
1. Ragnarok Online
My favorite MMO, I don't think I could live without it.

2. AIO Printer, Scanner, and Copier
I haven't been able to get my HP AIO to work under Ubuntu.

3. iTunes
I have a good 6 or 7 hard to find albums bought from iTunes that I don't think would work on Linux. Also, I have to be able to buy new albums, so, no go on Ubuntu. I also love CoverFlow.

4. Desktop Effects
I love Aero. I like Beryl. I HATE XGL! XGL always makes my screen freak out over simple stuff like launching an application.

5. Vista and Ubuntu = HE DOUBLE HOCKEY STICK NO
Vista is a baby. Vista doesn't play nice with Ubuntu. If I could get these things fixed, I'll just load Vista onto an external drive and only use it is a backup.

These are the things holding me back from switching to Ubuntu full-time. If I could fix these things, I can finally say "Asta la vista, Vista!"

ayllu
April 28th, 2007, 01:30 AM
Amaork, is better than I tunes, Beryl and compiz in festy are great, NO VIRUSES, Live Technical Suport, low using of the machine recurses, No way Linux is Better. But one thing to kepping windows in dual booting "THE GAMES" i cannot play fifa 2007 in ubuntu.

Tauhshi
April 28th, 2007, 02:17 AM
Well, Amarok is good, but I really like the iTMS. I have quite a bit of music from there.

PhatStreet
April 28th, 2007, 02:23 AM
You should use QTFairUse to strip the DRM from your iTunes albums.

aysiu
April 28th, 2007, 02:27 AM
None of those reasons apply to me.

Well, maybe you can wean yourself off Windows.

Tauhshi
April 28th, 2007, 03:15 AM
You should use QTFairUse to strip the DRM from your iTunes albums.

Thanks! This is great. But, it doesn't solve my problem of still buying from iTunes. I guess I could still use the external hdd method and buy them, then decrypt them.

matchstich
April 28th, 2007, 03:19 AM
i was all set to get rid of my windows box but this last set of updates caused xsane to stop working on here.
will keep the xp box so i can have a working scanner.

man, i went thru a lot of scanners till i got one that i just plugged in and it worked.

now, xsane and scanimage, gimp , everything just hangs.

justin whitaker
April 28th, 2007, 03:45 AM
Ragnarok Online Linux Client:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ro-client/

(Ok, it hasn't been updated since 2003, so nvm).

Looks like it runs on source based distros like Gentoo and Arch. Might run with the new Cedega.

Guild Wars, World of Warcraft, Neocron, Anarchy Online, City of Heros, EVE, and a bunch of others can be made to run via Wine or Cedega.

Scanners:

Don't have one.

iTunes:

Closest you can get is iTunes 6.0.5. iTMS is not supported, I don't think.

http://frankscorner.org/index.php?p=itunes6

Eye Candy:

Don't use it.

Vista + anything:

Oh heck no!

Loki-uk
April 28th, 2007, 02:51 PM
you could always run ubuntu in a VM under vista http://www.aotk50.dsl.pipex.com/default.htm

Loki

houstonbofh
April 28th, 2007, 07:34 PM
1. Ragnarok Online
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=928 or Cedaga.

AOI Systems are problems. Even under Windows you have issues. Just get the tools you need and quit trying to get a hammer with a screwdriver glued on the end.

3. iTunes
I have a good 6 or 7 hard to find albums bought from iTunes that I don't think would work on Linux. Also, I have to be able to buy new albums, so, no go on Ubuntu. I also love CoverFlow.
Burn to CD, and re rip them to DRM free formats. And http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=3296

4. Desktop Effects
I love Aero. I like Beryl. I HATE XGL! XGL always makes my screen freak out over simple stuff like launching an application.
It is getting better. And with the exposure from Feisty, it will start changing very fast.

Vista is a baby. Vista doesn't play nice with Ubuntu. If I could get these things fixed, I'll just load Vista onto an external drive and only use it is a backup.
Works fine, but you need two drives. Install one drive. Install Vista. Install second drive. Install Ubuntu, and Vista is automatically detected and added to Grub. Best yet, it still thinks it is the only OS there. ;)

Beta_Solution
May 28th, 2007, 04:06 AM
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=928 or Cedaga.

Only problem with that is WINE will only run the official game. I'm satill having problems trying to get connected to a private server. Sigh.

Roamly
May 28th, 2007, 06:03 AM
As for me, I couldn't find any reasons to keep Windows so I wipe out my hard disk 2 months ago (was dual booting with Ubuntu then), and completely install Feisty Fawn on my entire 500 GB disk. :popcorn:

For music, I use Amarok, gtkpod for my ipod, plain and simple.
For games, I use Cedega to play WoW, Guild Wars, Warcraft 3, etc, they are more stable than my Windows XP.
For work, there is Open Office, Firefox 2, etc etc well you know them...
For printing, my HP office jet work well in Ubuntu too, but the printing speed seem to be a bit slower than in Windows XP, but it's acceptable for me since I rarely print.

Most videos work perfectly well in VLC media player except for DRM files lol :p

So far so good, I am still learning GNU/Linux though. I could do and modify whatever I want with it, total freedom, this is what I use Ubuntu for. And of course, I am amazed with the great community here. :KS

Cheers! ;)

wolfen69
May 28th, 2007, 05:21 PM
i installed virtual box through automatix and installed xp so i could print. you could do the same and have your itunes and printing problems fixed.

uthturn
May 29th, 2007, 07:59 PM
i've never had a problem with my xp vista ultimate and ubuntu triple booting. And ubuntu is by far my favorite

Adramelech
May 29th, 2007, 11:13 PM
I have a AIO hp printer too, but mine is working fine, you just need the drivers from:

http://hplip.sourceforge.net/

Supported AIO:

http://hplip.sourceforge.net/supported_devices/inkjet_aio.html

d4bn3y
May 31st, 2007, 08:07 PM
Thanks! This is great. But, it doesn't solve my problem of still buying from iTunes. I guess I could still use the external hdd method and buy them, then decrypt them.

People are still buying music :shock:

Hallvor
May 31st, 2007, 08:18 PM
Five? Can`t think of one.

Geekkit
June 1st, 2007, 02:33 AM
i've never had a problem with my xp vista ultimate and ubuntu triple booting. And ubuntu is by far my favorite

This reminds me of back in the mid/late 90s I had Linux (pre ELF), OS/2 Warp, PC DOS, and Win 95 all booting from the same system. It was a pain but in the end Warp's boot manager was the most responsible.

:p

arsenic23
June 1st, 2007, 03:33 AM
The no hassle way to dual boot with Vista as an external drive:

Setup your internal Sata hard drives onto your second set of Sata ports.
Plug a Sata to eSata converter into your primary Sata port.
*If your internal hard drives are IDE then just leave them and set the PC to boot from Sata first, and then IDE.

Purchase an external drive that suports eSata.

Install Vista on either drive.
Install your bootloader and linux on ther other.

When you want to boot into the OS on the external drive, turn that drive on before your PC boots. When you want to boot into the OS on your internal drive, leave the external off or turn it on after your internal is finished booting.

This way Vista will never have to interact with your bootloader at all. Simplest solution to any dual booting problem.

ticopelp
June 2nd, 2007, 01:09 AM
I used to like the "convenience" of the iTunes Store, too, until I realized it had really locked me into using iTunes forever and that my music collection was crippled without it.

jdrodrig
June 2nd, 2007, 06:04 AM
I must admit I like the OneNote 2007 design (I am now trying BasKet but I do not think it is as good, yet)... and of course, the fact that in the school I attend I get Office 2007, Vista Ultimate for less than 10 bucks...

Cope57
June 2nd, 2007, 08:09 AM
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/7242/msvslinuxsig2sg.png

Five reasons for keeping Windows

Games
Not Needed
Not Needed
Not Needed
Not Needed

But then again, I have not played a Windows game in over 7 months...
So as of right now for me #1 is Not Needed.

Not to change the subject or make this a separate thread, but does anybody have a reason I should keep my 15Gb XP partition on my 120Gb hard drive?

shijirou
June 2nd, 2007, 06:09 PM
Only thing I could think of is games...

I have Ubuntu dual booted with Vista on my HP Laptop but I can't fully get rid of it because my dad LIKES Vista, and he uses my laptop... >.>

weblordpepe
June 2nd, 2007, 08:01 PM
Games, Games, Games, Games, Games, Games, Games, Games, Games, Games, Games.
So far all the messing around with multiple partitions has made swiss-cheese of my system.

Hey guys...if I move my Ubuntu partition and restart the computer..can I use the GRUB menu/config tool to find my Ubuntu partition and set it up in the menu?
I am dual booting win XP home, Ubuntu, and two aditional 20gb partitions. Its a mess really.

revertex
June 12th, 2007, 02:39 PM
what is windows?

Geekkit
June 12th, 2007, 03:25 PM
what is windows?

My friend in the Mac world tells me it's some sort of computer virus that is really hard to remove since it seems to have infected even store bought computers.

13thMonkey
June 12th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Only reason I still use Windows for games and even then I haven't booted into XP for months. Frankly I'm thinking of using the money I've saved from not having to buy new hardware and/for Vista to buy a console then I can delete my XP partition forever. I'm thinking of an XBox 365 - I've heard the company that makes them are really great. \\:D/ Plus it will run Linux :-$

christhemonkey
June 12th, 2007, 10:32 PM
I keep windows as,

this is not my pc and my brothers want it for some reason...

Merk42
June 12th, 2007, 11:07 PM
1. Games of course
2. 3D Studio Max: no Blender is NOT an option, do you see companies looking for someone with Blender experience?
3. Adobe suite, especially Phototshop, Gimp is aptly named because it feels so crippled in comparison
4. Plug and play with peripherals (webcam, 360 controller, scanner, etc)
5. okay that's only 4, but #1, #3 and #4 were more than just one reason.

Geekkit
June 13th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Gimp is aptly named because it feels so crippled in comparison

I'm always curious when people say this. What is it that you think is missing? The only thing I have seen that is missing is Pantone support and HDR Imaging support but that last feature is found in Cinepaint so really you're only left without Pantone support.

Concorde
June 13th, 2007, 03:17 AM
i installed virtual box through automatix and installed xp so i could print. you could do the same and have your itunes and printing problems fixed.

same here, I just have Windows for Itunes and PE-Builder (latter for helping family and friends with their pcs).

After the end of July I'm not going to spend another minute of my time with Windows systems. I want to spend the majority of my free time learning Linux and pursuing the LPI Exams. I also want to help out my LOCO team here In Nebraska as well.

Merk42
June 13th, 2007, 03:29 AM
I'm always curious when people say this. What is it that you think is missing? The only thing I have seen that is missing is Pantone support and HDR Imaging support but that last feature is found in Cinepaint so really you're only left without Pantone support.

On-the-fly brush resizing
Polygon Lasso tool and Magnetic Lasso tool
Non-destructive filters
Drag and drop from one photo onto another
--being able to paint outside that pasted photos original alpha

Geekkit
June 13th, 2007, 06:33 AM
On-the-fly brush resizing
Polygon Lasso tool and Magnetic Lasso tool
Non-destructive filters
Drag and drop from one photo onto another
--being able to paint outside that pasted photos original alpha

Polygon Lasso tool is accomplished by creating a path and converting the path to a selection. This is nice since you can save the selection for later use. Magnetic Lasso tool ... is missing, so are non-destructive filters but those are brand spanking new.

Drag and drop from one photo onto another ... this depends on how you want to do it. If you are talking about the Shft-Ctrl drag from one image to another, yes, that doesn't work. But if you drag a layer (from the layer window) from one image to another image that works and in fact requires less key strokes (well, no key strokes just a mouse drag).

Being able to paint outside that pasted photos original alpha is also missing. That's 2/5 that are missing. I'm a long time Photoshop user myself, since back in the days when it used to run on a measly IIci but I'm dating myself. However I can't see how GIMP can be "so crippled" with only a handful of features missing.

I think the biggest challenge with GIMP is learning where the features even if they're not in the same place as where Photoshop put 'em. Some of the features are in non-intuitive places (the curve to path thing took me a while). But then again Photoshop has its own quirks too. Trust me, if you spend some time playing you'll find some interesting features that Photoshop doesn't have ... really. ;)

Merk42
June 14th, 2007, 12:58 AM
Polygon Lasso tool is accomplished by creating a path and converting the path to a selection. This is nice since you can save the selection for later use. Magnetic Lasso tool ... is missing, so are non-destructive filters but those are brand spanking new.

Drag and drop from one photo onto another ... this depends on how you want to do it. If you are talking about the Shft-Ctrl drag from one image to another, yes, that doesn't work. But if you drag a layer (from the layer window) from one image to another image that works and in fact requires less key strokes (well, no key strokes just a mouse drag).

Being able to paint outside that pasted photos original alpha is also missing. That's 2/5 that are missing. I'm a long time Photoshop user myself, since back in the days when it used to run on a measly IIci but I'm dating myself. However I can't see how GIMP can be "so crippled" with only a handful of features missing.

I think the biggest challenge with GIMP is learning where the features even if they're not in the same place as where Photoshop put 'em. Some of the features are in non-intuitive places (the curve to path thing took me a while). But then again Photoshop has its own quirks too. Trust me, if you spend some time playing you'll find some interesting features that Photoshop doesn't have ... really. ;)

You missed the on-the-fly brush resizing. So that's 3/5 If you don't know what I mean, I mean how I can use a slider (or even [ and ]) to change the size of a brush without having to create a new one.
As for non-destructive filters, I don't even mean the new CS3 stuff, but even the little (f) that you could put on a layer, and better yet copy/paste to other layers.

Thanks for the other two things though, how to drag from one photo to another and the GIMPs way of doing polygon lasso.

I'm sure GIMP has stuff Photoshop doesn't have, a lot of stuff in the script-fu and alchemy that I haven't even looked at. I was merely pointing out things in Photoshop that I use quite often that I miss in GIMP.

Geekkit
June 14th, 2007, 02:49 AM
You missed the on-the-fly brush resizing.

I think that you need to make your own custom brush and then you can resize on-the-fly. I've created a few brushes and there are some Script-FU scripts that I believe do animated brushes (a.k.a. image hoses). Also, check out the The GAP (abbreviation for "GIMP Animation Plugin") which is quite cool and bordering on video editing.

:)

jusmurph
June 14th, 2007, 05:49 AM
I keep windows for games.

Though i have not been gaming lately.

tgalati4
June 14th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Five Reasons:

1. I found a Sony mp3 player, NW-E505, someone had dropped in a nearby park.

2. Found out that you need SonicStage to initialize it and to load music onto it.

3. SonicStage has to be one of the worst programs I have ever used on Windows. But you have to try it for yourself because you just can't believe one (or a hundred) bad reviews for a music manager.

4. Some smart person wrote a utility to add drag and drop so you can add mp3's when you are plugged in. The utility resides on the player, so you can take it with you.

5. The drag-and-drop utility doesn't work under wine because wine doesn't support drag-and-drop.

weblordpepe
June 14th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Sounds awfully like a USB flash drive. Ya know...I have an old MP3 player that just plugs in as a flash key. I can drag & drop on that and it plays music.

What did I need Windows for again? I forgot. Oh yeah GAMES GAMES GAMES GAMES GAMES.

Although on this laptop, its well suited to Ubuntu since the only games the graphics card can handle are kinda aged. Doom3 and previous, really. Oh look I got Skype and MSN and a SIP phone too. Why did I need Windows again? Oh I forgot.

vexorian
June 15th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Downgrade to XP maybe?

Hey I actually like windows XP, I think my dual booting ubuntu+XP make the best team, hehe.

I don't think you really need vista today, it got its own issues anyways, you could just use XP until vista is actually needed which would have to wait 3 years.

With XP you would be able to use both systems with no issues.

Regarding aero, don't get dependant to that kind of thing, really it is overrated. You don't need flashy interfaces for a computer, you only need something easy on the eye, in which Ubuntu/Linux should focus.

whiteguysamurai
June 15th, 2007, 05:05 PM
I think the number one reason to keep windows is,

"If it's not broken, don't fix it."

If you know how to keep a clean ship, have a good anti virus that you trust and don't do stupid things like use ie6 as an admin, i see no reason to jump ship.

Many people might try to convince you that there is no good reason to use windows, and for some people that might be true.
But it can be a stable, productive environment if you treat it right.

And then there are the games.

But like all things that involve choice, there are always drawbacks.

Tauhshi
June 15th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Well, It seems that I've found new reasons to not get rid of Windows.

1. Horrible External Monitor support
My graphics card supports resolutions up to 1600x1200. But, when the display is plugged into Ubuntu, it only displays at 1280x800 (My laptop display)

2. Lack of easy Album Art/Videos/Photos on iPod
WTF is up with this? I spent 5 hours trying to find an easy way to load my music onto my iPod with cover art. I ended up having to force the image into the IDv3 tags of EVERY SINGLE ONE OF MY 2365 SONGS. Also, I haven't found a simple solution to put videos and photos on my iPod.

3. No Webcam/Card Reader/Insert another periphel here
Now, this isn't a complaint against Ubuntu. I've had linux for a while and I know it's not Ubuntu's fault. But, I use these devices frequently, so not having them is a hinderence.

4. No support for my PC Remote
I own a Snapstream Firefly remote that I use with a 10' interface on my externqal monitor to show videos and photos, and play music. The only thing I can think of is to run Windows Media Center via a virtual PC.

Geekkit
June 15th, 2007, 09:50 PM
3. No Webcam/Card Reader/Insert another periphel here

Hmmm ... That's odd. I have gotten the following devices going on my system:

an old (ancient) Wacom tablet working via USB. In fact, I didn't even install drivers. It was plugged in and Ubuntu had it working after the installation
a Golf-ball Web USB cam (using Camorama) with all the features to capture, no freezes, hangups or such
my brand new Nokia 6126 via USB. Saw my contacts, in box, out box, message history, etc. Used Wammu to do this. Also used Phone Manager which is kind of inappropriately named since it doesn't manage anything: it sends SMS messages if your mobile is connected to your computer either through USB or Bluetooth.

Are you sure you gave it more than 30 seconds of a chance?

Tauhshi
June 16th, 2007, 04:30 AM
Hmmm ... That's odd. I have gotten the following devices going on my system:

an old (ancient) Wacom tablet working via USB. In fact, I didn't even install drivers. It was plugged in and Ubuntu had it working after the installation
a Golf-ball Web USB cam (using Camorama) with all the features to capture, no freezes, hangups or such
my brand new Nokia 6126 via USB. Saw my contacts, in box, out box, message history, etc. Used Wammu to do this. Also used Phone Manager which is kind of inappropriately named since it doesn't manage anything: it sends SMS messages if your mobile is connected to your computer either through USB or Bluetooth.

Are you sure you gave it more than 30 seconds of a chance?

Well, Wacom is built into Linux. I see it at least 5 times in my xorg.conf. As for the webcam, I guess I could give it a second chance. I've been eyeing aMSN for a while. As for the card reader. By its self, it doesn't work, but with the SD card plugged into my camera, K-spot pulls it alright.

I really want to move to Ubuntu, I really do. I'm going to try out Ubuntu Studio in a Virtual PC tonight, and then find out how to install Vista in VMWare and move into Ubuntu.

vexorian
June 16th, 2007, 05:48 AM
You shouldn't really expect to actually use a windows system in vmware, just to get it short you need plenty of more RAM, and for vmware linux there is simply no help for 3d acceleration thus you lose all the good things in windows.

Just dual boot, if it is hard to do in vista just keep XP until that is fixed. Or do the opposite and use ubuntu in the vmware, since it is a more friendly guest than vista.

vexorian
June 16th, 2007, 05:53 AM
Five Reasons:

1. I found a Sony mp3 player, NW-E505, someone had dropped in a nearby park.

2. Found out that you need SonicStage to initialize it and to load music onto it.

3. SonicStage has to be one of the worst programs I have ever used on Windows. But you have to try it for yourself because you just can't believe one (or a hundred) bad reviews for a music manager.

4. Some smart person wrote a utility to add drag and drop so you can add mp3's when you are plugged in. The utility resides on the player, so you can take it with you.

5. The drag-and-drop utility doesn't work under wine because wine doesn't support drag-and-drop.

Those 5. reasons sum into one reason, and the reason is that Linux isn't compatible with some very random piece of hardware, as a matter of fact it actually means that the hardware isn't compatible with Linux.

Is it really a good reason? You found it in the park, that means someone didn't really need it, why would you? Is it such an essential thing? If you need mp3 players there are many that are compatible, well I have not yet seen an USB flash mp3 player that doesn't work on Linux, unless it was formatted NTFS if that's even possible,

Perhaps that player actually works on Linux? And you just have to use nautilus and not that program to drop the files into?

If not then it is the manufacturer's fault but if it is a flash disk you CAN format it, or you probably can remove the firmware that is making it unable to work, I had a kingston data drive that had some U3 crap that made it very hard to use on Linux but there was an uninstaller available so It now works just by pluggin it in.

2. Lack of easy Album Art/Videos/Photos on iPod
WTF is up with this? I spent 5 hours trying to find an easy way to load my music onto my iPod with cover art. I ended up having to force the image into the IDv3 tags of EVERY SINGLE ONE OF MY 2365 SONGS. Also, I haven't found a simple solution to put videos and photos on my iPod.

Hardware manufacturers should at least try making it easy for other operating to support stuff, ipods could just use folder structure and you wouldn't need any program to do that, but no! ipods use bery silly structures to save stuff, it is almost ridiculuous, if apple really wanted to lamify their stuff like that then they could at least try making itunes work on Linux, I don't really see what would be so hard about getting some library, either qt or gtk and make it work, the rest is all about a filesystem in the ipod which is already supported...

An alternative would be replacing the firmware, but that's another story...

My graphics card supports resolutions up to 1600x1200. But, when the display is plugged into Ubuntu, it only displays at 1280x800 (My laptop display) My graphic card supports 1280x800 but windows XP sets it to 600x400 by default and I have to get my graphic card cd to install the drivers correctly. You are dealing with the same situation, at least the resolution it chose is not ridiculously small though.

Geekkit
June 16th, 2007, 06:26 AM
Well, Wacom is built into Linux. I see it at least 5 times in my xorg.conf. As for the webcam, I guess I could give it a second chance. I've been eyeing aMSN for a while. As for the card reader. By its self, it doesn't work, but with the SD card plugged into my camera, K-spot pulls it alright.

I really want to move to Ubuntu, I really do. I'm going to try out Ubuntu Studio in a Virtual PC tonight, and then find out how to install Vista in VMWare and move into Ubuntu.

I was careless .. I should have mentioned that the Web cam is the Logitech Quickcam Express. Not too old but then again not so new either (the older cream color one). Also, I realized that in all my excitement over the last few of weeks I had not actually hooked up my Nikon D50 to Ubuntu. Just did. Plugged it in via USB and gThumb quickly asked me if I wanted to import some photos. Said okay. I started to worry because it was taking a little bit of time and then I realized that it was copying 162 images (429 MB) of stuff ... it's a 1 GB card and all.

My older noname 512 MB memory stick also seems to work. Ubuntu tells me I have a new drive and I can read/write to it. I'm kind of on a mission now to see what doesn't work because I remember 6.10 really didn't like USB stuff hooked up to it at all and 6.10 sure as hell did not like it if you unplugged USB things without telling it that you were doing so. Now 7.04 handles things I would say even better than XP. I remember taking out a USB memory stick on my computer at work and having XP belch an error message with me having to reboot before XP would recognize another USB memory stick. I haven't run into this problem thus far with Ubuntu 7.04 - it's told me it's "not safe" to do so, but I've been playing "idiot user mode" and just yanking cords as if I would if I was using a Mac or something. Ubuntu seems to be quite happy with dealing with my stupidity. Btw, have you seen that supposed ad on youtube with Mac and PC and ... Linux. Linux is this rather attractive young woman and Mac and PC both get new threads and Linux is given a nice leather coat by some stranger where she says "thank you" and both Mac and PC are like "People just share that stuff with you?" It's quite funny ... if you're a computer nerd. It's here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVOnFdMf0RU

I'll keep you posted anyhow.:lol:

tgalati4
June 16th, 2007, 04:59 PM
I was walking my dog in the park The dog did her business and I cleaned it up. Low and behold, I had a shiny Sony mp3 player. There is some irony in that.

No, you can't remove the firmware without borking it completely, and yes I have spent quite a bit of time trying to get it to work in Ubuntu.

The dog pooped on it for a reason. I should put it back in the park.

Geekkit
June 16th, 2007, 06:29 PM
I was walking my dog in the park The dog did her business and I cleaned it up. Low and behold, I had a shiny Sony mp3 player. There is some irony in that.

No, you can't remove the firmware without borking it completely, and yes I have spent quite a bit of time trying to get it to work in Ubuntu.

The dog pooped on it for a reason. I should put it back in the park.

Hah, that's funny. :D

burt_57
June 25th, 2007, 11:23 PM
1. Ragnarok Online

3. iTunes

4. Desktop Effects

These are the things holding me back from switching to Ubuntu full-time. If I could fix these things, I can finally say "Asta la vista, Vista!"

And too many games do not work with Ubuntu Ultimate'
so I kept Windowws on one hrdrive and Ubuntu on other.

misfitpierce
June 25th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Exaile is better than iTunes to me... Does a nifty job of getting album artwork and setting up my music with just a click.

Junixx
June 26th, 2007, 03:57 AM
Well, It seems that I've found new reasons to not get rid of Windows.

My graphics card supports resolutions up to 1600x1200. But, when the display is plugged into Ubuntu, it only displays at 1280x800 (My laptop display)

I'm suprised no has mentioned on this that you can change the resolutions and add more in your xorg.conf file, search these forums about adding resolutions, Im sure youll come up with something..

3rdalbum
June 26th, 2007, 12:09 PM
6. It's a great source to find DLLs to use with Wine.

Lord Illidan
June 26th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Apart for some games, which I don't play that often - and don't work nice with Wine, I don't really use Windows anymore. Neither my father - who has a Sony VAIO, neither my sister.

And we all have mp3 players, and printers, and stuff. And they all work.

weblordpepe
June 27th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Yeah. I have a desktop computer with Windows XP on it. Good graphics card etc.
I bought a laptop for doing audio stuff on. Im no longer involved with that project so I put on Ubuntu on the laptop.

I haven't touched my XP desktop machine since except for playing games. I just can't be bothered.
Going from XP to Ubuntu reminds me of when I hadn't showered for a week (I was bored) and wanted to see what it was like.

It was cold taking off my clothes & hopping into the shower. But once Ubuntu was working 100% and I understand things, its very nice and I'm glad I shower regularly now. And use Ubuntu.

houstonbofh
June 27th, 2007, 06:27 PM
It was cold taking off my clothes & hopping into the shower. But once Ubuntu was working 100% and I understand things, its very nice and I'm glad I shower regularly now. And use Ubuntu.
I just spit all over my monitor with that one! :lol: Too funny.

joriad
July 3rd, 2007, 05:10 PM
My 5 reasons for keeping windows are:

5) Lexmark printer does not work on linux.

4) cannot get any of my windows games to work via wine.

3) I enjoy being frustrated by Vista's voice recognition program.

2) I love to watch viruses infest my computer.

And my # 1 reason for keeping a windows operating system is;

Bill Gates is just so rich I felt like making him even richer.

jespdj
July 5th, 2007, 08:29 PM
I have only one reason to not completely wipe off Windows XP: Adobe Photoshop CS3.

Unfortunately there's no alternative for Linux that contains all the sophisticated tools that Photoshop CS3 has. If Adobe would release CS3 for Linux (64-bit please), I'd definitely want to pay money for it and I wouldn't need Windows anymore.

Oh, I also want a version of Skype that works well and can do video too. Skype says they are working on it...

weblordpepe
July 5th, 2007, 08:50 PM
It would be nice if Skype was just a SIP phone. That way you could use ekiga and any other app which runs on linux.

jespdj
July 6th, 2007, 10:46 AM
It would be nice if Skype was just a SIP phone. That way you could use ekiga and any other app which runs on linux.
Yes, that would be nice, but Skype is a company that unfortunately is not very open source and open standards friendly. They want to keep their code and protocol proprietary. I read somewhere that people are trying to reverse engineer the Skype protocol so that other Linux messaging software could connect to Skype users, but it is very hard to reverse engineer.

Unfortunately I can't make all my friends and family use something else than Skype...

weblordpepe
July 6th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Its rediculus. Its the type of crap which stops people developing technology. There are already rock solid protocols and systems in place. But no, Skype wants to control all the applications etc.

kknd
July 7th, 2007, 03:28 AM
1. Ragnarok Online

Ok. Not Ubuntu's fault.

Not Ubuntu's fault too.

3. iTunes

Not Ubuntu's fault.

4. Desktop Effects

Personal taste (and luck). You have the right to choose what you like.

M$ fault, as you said :(.

Unfortunately, due to some enterprises, free software user's have to abdicate of some things.

Maybe in about two years things start to change? Linux was always there, but this year it made a BOOM here in Brazil. I foresaw a lot of good things!! :popcorn:

JanvL
July 12th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Why the fuzz?

Stay with windows if you want to!

It is (stil) a free world.

Jan

weblordpepe
July 12th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Where everyone is free to be not-free if they want.

rasmus91
February 23rd, 2009, 10:14 AM
the only real reason i could think of is that there is always something to work with... Cos its almost impossible to solve or figure out a problem.

isbiyanto
May 6th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Amaork, is better than I tunes, Beryl and compiz in festy are great, NO VIRUSES, Live Technical Suport, low using of the machine recurses, No way Linux is Better. But one thing to kepping windows in dual booting "THE GAMES" i cannot play fifa 2007 in ubuntu.

olala... fifa 2007 :guitar:

Timmer1240
May 6th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Vista bites!

cariboo
May 7th, 2010, 12:51 AM
Obviously nobody has anything else to add. Closed.