PDA

View Full Version : Web Browsers other than Firefox and Opera

Not So Smart Guy
April 27th, 2007, 08:52 PM
The only web browsers I've ever used are Firefox and Opera (with the exception of my very early IE days), but now I've become unsatisfied with both.

I'm using Xubuntu Dapper and both are just not working for me. I started using Firefox naturally because it comes installed, but it tends to freeze for no reason after a while. Opera 9.10 was working great for me, but then one day, for no discernible reason, it just won't start up - at all. I try to run it in every way imaginable and absolutely nothing. So a couple of days ago I upgraded to Opera 9.20, it works, but it runs seriously slow. As you can imagine by me running on Xubuntu, my machine is a bit old and I'm trying to be as efficient as possible.

I know of Flock, but I don't think that's what I'm looking for either. What other options are out there for me? And more importantly, what's the fastest, most efficient browser I can get?

Shout out if you can. Thanks.

sharke
April 27th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Swiftfox
Sudo apt-get install swiftfox
regards
Sharke

aidanr
April 27th, 2007, 09:01 PM
you could try epiphany (http://www.gnome.org/projects/epiphany/)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_browsers_for_Unix/Linux

floke
April 27th, 2007, 09:03 PM
I hear that Kazehakase is quite fast and lightweight (never used it myself though).

Sunflower1970
April 27th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Dillo, for a very light one
Kazehakase. I just started to use it. Very light...and I find I really like it.

psionyk
April 27th, 2007, 09:28 PM
If you truly want a glimpse of browsing speed, give Lynx a try... it's a text based browser, so while it doesn't have images or any other bells and whistles, it's like greased lightning when it runs!! ;-) Limited usability if you need/crave graphics and images, but a lot of fun nonetheless.

As for full functionality, ditto the comments for SwiftFox and Kazehakase, I've been meaning to try them, but I've heard nothing but positive.

Nils Olav
April 27th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Dillo is a piece of poo. If you need something that light just use links2. Try epiphany.

aysiu
April 27th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Epiphany
Galeon
Dillo
Lynx

I'd recommend Galeon for a good balance between lightweight and functional.

karellen
April 27th, 2007, 10:13 PM
epiphany all the way...:)

RAV TUX
April 27th, 2007, 10:37 PM
The only web browsers I've ever used are Firefox and Opera (with the exception of my very early IE days), but now I've become unsatisfied with both.

I'm using Xubuntu Dapper and both are just not working for me. I started using Firefox naturally because it comes installed, but it tends to freeze for no reason after a while. Opera 9.10 was working great for me, but then one day, for no discernible reason, it just won't start up - at all. I try to run it in every way imaginable and absolutely nothing. So a couple of days ago I upgraded to Opera 9.20, it works, but it runs seriously slow. As you can imagine by me running on Xubuntu, my machine is a bit old and I'm trying to be as efficient as possible.

I know of Flock, but I don't think that's what I'm looking for either. What other options are out there for me? And more importantly, what's the fastest, most efficient browser I can get?

Shout out if you can. Thanks.

Seamonkey is very nice also.

EdThaSlayer
April 27th, 2007, 10:46 PM
The defaust KDE file browser Konqueror?

fuscia
April 27th, 2007, 10:49 PM
i second konqueror. opens instantly and is fast for real.

jiminycricket
April 27th, 2007, 11:41 PM
what happens when you open 'opera' in a terminal? Any error messages, maybe plugins are causing a problem?

proalan
April 27th, 2007, 11:46 PM
does anyone experience massive strain on their system resources when viewing a very large forum thread using firefox? My cpu RAM and swap get maxed out completely.

I'm guessing that it suffers from memory leaks, but i thought this was addressed a few versions ago.