PDA

View Full Version : danger to ubuntu

thomas.hoyland
April 27th, 2007, 07:34 PM
hi everyone
i was on a website in firefox and all of a sudden the window closed and i was presented with a stupid marketting message in the form of a dialogue.
it killed firefox but displayed an installation message!

any thoughts or other things bout this?

i have aegis and firestarter running
HELP! very worried

orange2k
April 27th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Could you be more specific or post a screenshot?

SZF2001
April 27th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Yes, screenshot please.

Maybe the website you were visiting also (unless it was pr0n, which you shouldn't post)

thomas.hoyland
April 27th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Could you be more specific or post a screenshot?

ok
i turned off java script window resizing and when i visit the page now, it just displays nothing and i dont get the same error.

i was quite worried there
if people are still interested i will attempt to replicate the problem

thomas.hoyland
April 27th, 2007, 07:43 PM
the website i originally visited was http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_20060428/ai_n16223714
about a new police drama thing

however on load it killed my window
it looks to be a javascript thing and attempts to redirect to something called drive cleaner

this is the link what killed firefox
http://www.drivecleaner.com/.freeware/?p=37&a=0ex=1&hv=10&ed=2&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]&aid=sonquiet_rdt

i was trying to replicate it for you guys but i pressed the CANCEL button when prompted, however i should have killed firefox.bin in the system monitor

would pressing any of these buttons have harmed my system?
very worried, but pleased you guys are helping
tom

SZF2001
April 27th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Sounds like it's just a conflict with the website and the browser, like how eStarland (http://www.estarland.com) will work with Firefox on Windows, but on Firefox with Ubuntu some menus won't show or stay (like when you try to browse to the older consoles).

orange2k
April 27th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Hehe when I opened the popup site it said I have 948 "dangerous files" on my computer and if I want to get rid of them...

It is only effecting the windows, I guess...no problem here, so don`t worry...

Tomosaur
April 27th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Yeah it's just a popup - they often combine them with Javascript to give the impression that it's a real error message. Should be illegal, but I don't think it is. Nothing to worry about :)

thomas.hoyland
April 27th, 2007, 08:06 PM
strange.
i too have that same number of infected files.........
i better do something about it...........

maybe i need vista, vista is good ive heard, it comes with bells.....whistles..........and a gadget bore

thomas.hoyland
April 27th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Yeah it's just a popup - they often combine them with Javascript to give the impression that it's a real error message. Should be illegal, but I don't think it is. Nothing to worry about :)

i knew it wasnt a real error message, lol
i was just a bit worried like "oh no, spywear/adwear for linux"

it should be illegal, it annoys me so much

lepz
April 27th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Never mind the infected files, how we gonna stop the BBC from putting out another soap? ;)

thomas.hoyland
April 27th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Never mind the infected files, how we gonna stop the BBC from putting out another soap? ;)

ahhh, sorry, didnt see the forest for the trees on that one!
you have a good point

anybody ever watch charlie brookers screenwipe on bbc4?