PDA

View Full Version : Adobe opensource's Flex :D

mech7
April 27th, 2007, 05:08 PM
http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/200704/042607Flex.html

For immediate release
Gives Developers Ability to Enhance Flex Framework for Delivering Rich Internet Applications

SAN JOSE, Calif. — April 26, 2007 — Adobe Systems Incorporated (Nasdaq: ADBE) today announced plans to release source code for Adobe® Flex™ as open source. This initiative will let developers worldwide participate in the growth of the industry's most advanced framework for building cross-operating system rich Internet applications (RIAs) for the Web and enabling new Apollo applications for the desktop. The open source Flex SDK and documentation will be available under the Mozilla Public License (MPL).

Some great news.. now lets hope they will do something similiar for designers soon :popcorn:

Hex_Mandos
April 27th, 2007, 05:33 PM
They still haven't freed Flash, and until they do, I'm not too impressed.

justin whitaker
April 27th, 2007, 05:37 PM

In some ways, Flex is more important.

lyceum
April 27th, 2007, 05:40 PM
What is Flex? How do you use it? Does anyone use it? I have not heard of it before and it looks like it is for running flash? :confused:

mech7
April 27th, 2007, 05:41 PM

In some ways that is a good thing.. flash looks the same anywhere now look at the mess we are in with html / css. Usually 70% of my time is spend solving cross browser issues :)

mech7
April 27th, 2007, 05:44 PM
What is Flex? How do you use it? Does anyone use it? I have not heard of it before and it looks like it is for running flash? :confused:

It is a IDE meant for flash developers it is build on eclipse or you can install it as plugin for eclipse.. it has no timeline or anything it's ment to build RIA's and it is pretty cool.

Some examples: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/?tab:samples=1

prizrak
April 27th, 2007, 07:40 PM
In some ways that is a good thing.. flash looks the same anywhere now look at the mess we are in with html / css. Usually 70% of my time is spend solving cross browser issues :)

X.org, Apache, Firefox/Thunderbird/Seamonkey, Gnome, KDE, Jabber, Ogg, etc... are all open source and there doesn't seem to be any problem with it. The problem with HTML/CSS is MS hacking the standard to make it IE specific and making all of their WYSIWYG editors use it.

lyceum
April 27th, 2007, 08:32 PM
It is a IDE meant for flash developers it is build on eclipse or you can install it as plugin for eclipse.. it has no timeline or anything it's ment to build RIA's and it is pretty cool.

Some examples: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/?tab:samples=1

cool, thanks!

mech7
April 27th, 2007, 09:03 PM
X.org, Apache, Firefox/Thunderbird/Seamonkey, Gnome, KDE, Jabber, Ogg, etc... are all open source and there doesn't seem to be any problem with it. The problem with HTML/CSS is MS hacking the standard to make it IE specific and making all of their WYSIWYG editors use it.

There are even problems between opera, ff, safari, ie7 and ie6 they all have their share of bugs and own ways of interpreting the standards and recommendations.. anyways that is a whole nother story :D

Hex_Mandos
April 27th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Actually, all major browsers except for IE interpret more or less the same thing. Sure, there are differences, but in the end the output is very similar. IE is the problem, not diversity or openness.

mech7
April 27th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Actually, all major browsers except for IE interpret more or less the same thing. Sure, there are differences, but in the end the output is very similar. IE is the problem, not diversity or openness.

Differences are differences.. many times the design needs to be exactly the same.. also html development is going way to slow. WIth Flex you have all kinds of widgets out of the box working in any browser ;) sliders, accordeon's datagrids.. mxml + as3 is really nice way of building apps... and with Apollo it will only become better :popcorn:

maniacmusician
April 27th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Differences are differences.. many times the design needs to be exactly the same.. also html development is going way to slow. WIth Flex you have all kinds of widgets out of the box working in any browser ;) sliders, accordeon's datagrids.. mxml + as3 is really nice way of building apps... and with Apollo it will only become better :popcorn:
Apollo is the next incarnation of PDF, right?

Flex seems pretty cool. I know from experience that IE is awful to code for and it's the source of most of my headaches. But as mech7 said, there are some apalling differences between Firefox/Opera/Konqueror as well, that just shouldn't be there when the standards for HTML, CSS, and JS are completely open.

mech7
April 28th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Apollo is the next incarnation of PDF, right?

Apollo os making it possible to create desktop applications.. from what i have heard is that it is a piece of cake turning your flex apps into apollo... I think it will fade the online / offline apps one step more, also Apollo will be cross os so they should run under Windows, Mac and Linux :) Apollo for Linux was planned a bit later i believe though because they first needed to finish the linux flash player or something :)

http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Apollo

Here are some nice vids about Apollo and Flex: http://video.onflex.org/

slimdog360
April 28th, 2007, 01:58 PM
adobe are the new leaders in opensource