PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Info, Request

DoctorMO
April 27th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Hello again,

I'm after a few people to send me information about their monitors, if they sent me information before (through the hardware profiles request) then I can add this info to that; but more importantly I need to understand how dual monitors effect the output, so anyone with more than one monitor, even 2 different monitors connected to the same machine run this:

sudo apt-get install ddccontrol
sudo ddcprobe > ~/Desktop/monitor.txt

and simply email me the monitor.txt file on your desktop.

Thanks everybody.

DoctorMO
April 27th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Apologies, someone pointed out that dccprobe is in the xresprobe package not the dcccontrol package.

Do please run this if you have dual or triple monitors, it would help an awful lot.

DoctorMO
April 27th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Oh please, pretty please with sugar on top?

jiminycricket
April 28th, 2007, 12:50 AM
Hi Doctor Mo, does it matter if we're using Twinview (nVidia's) or Xinerama?

DoctorMO
April 28th, 2007, 01:17 AM
Not at all, the way in which the monitors are being used is not as important as is the fact that the computer knows they exist and knows to send a I2C request to find out what they are.

PatrickMay16
April 28th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Whoops! Ah! My nuts.

patrick@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install ddccontrol
Password:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package ddccontrol

maniacmusician
April 28th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Whoops! Ah! My nuts.

patrick@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install ddccontrol
Password:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package ddccontrol
it's in universe...do you have that enabled? also, if you're still using Dapper, it might not be in those repositories.

DoctorMO
April 28th, 2007, 02:15 AM
You might want to try 'sudo apt-get install xresprobe' anyway and as far as I know it's installed by default.

PatrickMay16
April 28th, 2007, 02:21 AM
Oh, yeah. Seems like the program "ddcprobe" is already installed. I've emailed you the resulting file now.

DoctorMO
April 28th, 2007, 05:20 AM
Thanks to those who sent info, I'm going to have to talk to the developers and try and reconcile a number of points since all their programs are built to show the user a very slim amount of information, when all I need is an id. so hopefully they can provide a switch of some kind.

slimdog360
April 28th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Do you want only people with dual monitors to do this?

DoctorMO
April 28th, 2007, 04:37 PM
I don't need anyone else to do this just yet. I'll be posting an update in time. for the moment some will and some won't detect,

DoctorMO
May 2nd, 2007, 12:04 PM
OK anyone with a monitor, both CRTs, Flat-screens, via vesa or visa digital or even laptop screens run the following:

sudo ddccontrol -p -vv > ~/Desktop/monitor.txt; sudo ddcprobe > ~/Desktop/monitor2.txt

Oh and let me know if you sent me a hardware profile before and what your computer name was (it ties together so I can tell what video card the monitor is plugged into)