PDA

View Full Version : A2 Ubuntu Posters, shipped anywhere around the world! (ALL OUT :()

Jenda
April 27th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Digg this: http://www.digg.com/linux_unix/Ubuntu_Posters_for_your_wall_or_office_door
Thanks, diggers, we made it to the front page and held the first spot for almost two hours!! (at least with my settings... heh :))
For detailed pricing info, other offerings and PAYMENT METHODS, see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarketingTeam/DIYWebsite/Get/PriceListJenda
If you'd like to participate in the creation of the next run of Ubuntu Posters, see here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2601819

My fellow ubuntu freaks!

I'm proud to announce that I'm finally getting around to print 200 pieces of A2 Ubuntu posters of the old Highway to Freedom design: http://diy.devubuntu.com/repo/spreadubuntu/DIY%20Material/Batch%201,%20Posters/HanZo/poster-layout.jpg
Due to DIGG EFFECT, mirrored here! http://doc.ubuntu.com/~marketing/spreadubuntu/DIY%20Material/Batch%201,%20Posters/HanZo/poster-layout.jpg

They look great both in rooms and public areas. Once again, I need to sell most of them to cover the expenses, so please don't hesitate to order. I'll ship them anywhere in the world, in any number.

I would _greatly_ prefer if you ordered from 5 up, because shipping a single poster costs just as much as shipping 5 and means just as much work for me.

The price is approximately: (subject to change once I gain experience with shipping A2 posters)
$3 or €2 per poster
$7-$28 or €5-€20 shipping, depending on the number.

In other words...

__________________________________________________ _______
| Number | Price | Price apiece |
| 1 | $10 | $10 |
| 2 | $13 | $6.50 |
| 3 | $15 | $5 |
| 5 | $23 | $4.60 |
| 10 | $30 | $3 |
| 25 | $70 | $3 |
|_______________|_______________|_________________ ______|

If you're interested, please place orders to jenda at ubuntu dot com.

Jenda
April 27th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Oh, I forgot: please place any orders, if you're interested, to jenda at ubuntu dot com.

Jenda
April 29th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Is nobody interested this time? :)

BTW, if you're concerned how the profits of these sales are used, please check out: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarketingTeam/DIYWebsite/Get/PriceListJenda

Jenda
May 1st, 2007, 01:37 PM
Hmm, looks like I'll be losing bigtime on these :) At least I can cover my walls. I'll have about 140 extras... that's what... 35m²...
my room is 6.5m × 4.5m × 3.5 m... that's 77m² of wall space... yeauch, it won't even be enough for that, I shouldda ordered more :)
I could cover one wall, though...

Aetherius
May 1st, 2007, 02:17 PM
you walls are flat no cubic :D

I'm interested, i'll email you soon once I know for sure.

Jenda
May 1st, 2007, 03:20 PM
Hehe... I said m², not m³ :) and i calculated the wall space by the circumference (22m) times the height (3.5m).

Aetherius
May 4th, 2007, 09:31 AM
6.5 x 4.5 x 3.5? thats not circumference by height :D

(4)5.5m x 3.5m...maybe? providing your room is square, which it probably isn't

Jenda
May 4th, 2007, 10:19 AM
I never said "6.5m x 4.5m x 3.5m" was circumference by height - I said it was my room (as in, its dimensions)... while the walls I calculated (77 m²) was 2 × (6.5m + 4.5m) × 3.5m = 77m² ...

And now for something completely different :)

I've sold 3 posters so far - yay ;) I guess waiting patiently is also an option :D

DoctorMO
May 4th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Yes to me, and 20 of the A3 posters for all the happy folk in Boston.

Jenda
May 4th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Yup :)

DoctorMO, I just found out my local post office doesn't sell the tubes the size i need for these posters, so I'm afraid I won't get to mail them later next week. If you mind... well, drop me an angry email and I'll go fetch the tubes :-D

Jenda
May 4th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Right, angry email found just seconds after I posted that ツ

KaroSHiv0n
May 4th, 2007, 01:20 PM
what do they look like? =)

Aetherius
May 4th, 2007, 01:28 PM
like this (its in the first post) (http://diy.devubuntu.com/repo/spreadubuntu/DIY%20Material/Batch%201,%20Posters/HanZo/poster-layout.jpg)

sorry jenda, you confused me when ya had 6.5x4.5x3.5 then a square result. haha

Jenda
May 4th, 2007, 02:14 PM
doctormo: I dunno if you'll like this, but:
laziness:1 ; buying tubes: 0
and yet:
brute force:1 ; small tube size: 0

I simply took a 40 cm tube... and stuffed 42 cm posters inside. Nothing wrong with that, is there? :)
(Disclaimer: No animals or posters or Jendas were harmed in this experiment. Unfortunately, one tube ended up pretty hacked up.)

sorry jenda, you confused me when ya had 6.5x4.5x3.5 then a square result. haha

Jenda
May 5th, 2007, 10:02 AM
OK, I just lowered the prices for 1-5 posters, because I found out even the 50 cm tubes can be sent as 'letters', which makes it cheaper for the low weights.

Jenda
May 5th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Oh, and there's also the jackpot offer - you can buy all my posters for the price I paid for them + shipping :)

147 posters = $300 (estimated)

Jenda
May 5th, 2007, 11:30 AM
And in one more attempt to give this more visibility :) please digg: http://www.digg.com/linux_unix/Ubuntu_Posters_for_your_wall_or_office_door/

Jenda
May 5th, 2007, 01:34 PM
OK, I'm sorry, but I had to recalculate the prices a bit - 1, 2 and 3 posters went up... the rest went down... lots. I removed all the margin there was. They are still subject to change, and donations are obviously welcome :)

DoctorMO
May 5th, 2007, 03:07 PM
If only I had a dig account.

Have you not had other LoCo groups asking for posters? Perhaps Boston is just more connected up that other Loco's ;-)

Jenda
May 5th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Well, it's more about other LoCos being greedy as hell ;)

(The exception goes to France, which is actually the LoCo who made me do this... they'll be the ones I'll blame if I end up with a huge loss and a hundred posters on my wall ;))

DoctorMO
May 5th, 2007, 04:33 PM
it's just not patriotic enough

Jenda
May 5th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Perhaps ;)

Unfortunately, different language variants are a no-go :(

SlvrEagle23
May 5th, 2007, 05:26 PM
The preview picture is so small...

Why not make the poster image in its full-DPI glory open for people to print? I just want a few posters, but today and not for $4 each. You would be a lot more likely to sell me on the idea of promoting Ubuntu on my office wall if I could do so more easily.

Jenda
May 5th, 2007, 05:34 PM
SlvrEagle23, the poster is GPL and the source files to it can all be found here:
http://diy.devubuntu.com/repo/spreadubuntu/DIY%20Material/Batch%201,%20Posters/
or here:
http://doc.ubuntu.com/~marketing/spreadubuntu/DIY%20Material/Batch%201,%20Posters/

Jenda
May 5th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Mirrored image: http://doc.ubuntu.com/~marketing/spreadubuntu/DIY%20Material/Batch%201,%20Posters/HanZo/poster-layout.jpg

SlvrEagle23
May 5th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Nice, thanks!

You might want to go tell the people on Digg that...I think a few of them had the same question.

defrex
May 5th, 2007, 05:39 PM
I seem unable to load any of the preview pics. Think you could post a mirror?

end3rkid
May 5th, 2007, 05:39 PM
The preview picture is so small...

Why not make the poster image in its full-DPI glory open for people to print? I just want a few posters, but today and not for $4 each. You would be a lot more likely to sell me on the idea of promoting Ubuntu on my office wall if I could do so more easily.

I second that. Also, you can provide us the .psd \\:D/ it's a open source community, isn't? :lolflag: j/k.

And the the link for the image isn't working for me.

motang
May 5th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Nice, I will be looking into this one, and place an oder.

Jenda
May 5th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Nice, thanks!

You might want to go tell the people on Digg that...I think a few of them had the same question.

I seem unable to load any of the preview pics. Think you could post a mirror?

Several links to mirrors have been posted on digg already.

I second that. Also, you can provide us the .psd \\:D/ it's a open source community, isn't? :lolflag: j/k.

No, not .psd - it's an open source community, isn't it? I only use open formats. The sources to the images and the final print-quality pdf is available here:
http://doc.ubuntu.com/~marketing/spreadubuntu/DIY%20Material/Batch%201,%20Posters/
or here
http://diy.devubuntu.com/repo/spreadubuntu/DIY%20Material/Batch%201,%20Posters/

Rab22
May 5th, 2007, 06:09 PM
I'm interested in purchasing a couple.

I'll e-mail you either today or tomorrow and iron out the details about how to purchase 'em.

Grayscale
May 5th, 2007, 06:37 PM
I'll take 3. And I want one of the large stickers. I'll email you so you can give me a total before I paypal. Are there any A3 posters left?

mpineiro
May 5th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Hey I'm pretty interested in getting a poster or two and some case badges in the not-to-distant future.

Now, I'm not trying to incite flames, I think this is a great thing and I love Ubuntu. But I did want to mention that I think it's against Paypal's terms to funnel the seller fees to the consumer. I'm not positive and I can't cite the exact text of the terms since I'm studying for an exam right now. Just an FYI since it can get you in trouble :) .

Good luck with this, the Digg effect should bring in alot of sales. That's how I got here ;)

Stew2
May 5th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Hey I'm pretty interested in getting a poster or two and some case badges in the not-to-distant future.

Now, I'm not trying to incite flames, I think this is a great thing and I love Ubuntu. But I did want to mention that I think it's against Paypal's terms to funnel the seller fees to the consumer. I'm not positive and I can't cite the exact text of the terms since I'm studying for an exam right now. Just an FYI since it can get you in trouble :) .

Good luck with this, the Digg effect should bring in alot of sales. That's how I got here ;)

Hello, not flaming or anything but I use ebay and paypal quite a bit and I think what you call "funneling" the sellers fees is ususally simply called "handling" and is perfectly acceptable. If I misinterpeted your post please disregard :).

Oh and good luck with the sales Jenda. I'm surprised that they aren't moving very fast... didn't the first batch go quick?

Regards,
Stew

Jenda
May 5th, 2007, 06:57 PM
gah, damn them. I see no sense in that, and I have the full right to charge more for one payment method than for another - but thanks for the heads up ;)

There are 24 A3 posters left.

DoctorMO
May 5th, 2007, 07:12 PM
It's called handling charges, and to be honest to restrict you ability to notify the buyer of those charges stinks of trying to hide how gross their own charges are.

You getting more orders now boss?

chr1831
May 5th, 2007, 07:13 PM
what about the kubuntu lovers?, not everyone loves gnome :D

Jenda
May 5th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Oh yes, it's going really well now :-D
Digg effect is killing me.

And yes, the first batch went fast because of an ad ubuntugeek was kind enough to post on the front page of the forums :)

Jenda
May 5th, 2007, 07:16 PM
I'm sorry, but no Kubuntu posters... yet ;)

I'm expanding my inventory, though - I'm already doing Kubuntu case badges, thinking of logo stickers... posters might be next :)

arizonagroovejet
May 5th, 2007, 08:04 PM
The laptop stickers link in your sig is broken.

Jenda
May 5th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Thanks!

DoctorMO
May 5th, 2007, 10:35 PM
You might want to get a shop up and running so people can place orders though the web or at least browse your offerings.

Let me know I have masses of experience in e-commerce.

Jenda
May 5th, 2007, 10:45 PM
thanks for the offer and suggestion, but I'm not starting a business here - I want to have personal (as personal as it gets) email contact with the folks buying from me and don't want to open up a shop.
However, diy.devubuntu.com should soon enough list all the items I and all other people in the community have to offer with all the info needed.

daradib
May 5th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Where is the full quality PDF (or other comparible output format) for the poster? The best I could find was: http://doc.ubuntu.com/~marketing/spreadubuntu/DIY%20Material/Batch%201,%20Posters/UbuntuPosterbyHanZo.pdf but it has coloring around it making it look like a draft.

musikgoat
May 5th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Any recommendations on a window decal? either large or small, looking for something similar to the stickers that are sent out with the shipit store.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this.

Jenda
May 5th, 2007, 11:28 PM
daradib, that is the exact same pdf I sent to the printers to print the posters out. I have no idea what the colors are - perhaps some kind of notation for the printer? The pdf was made by Hannes and I just gave it straight over to the printer. There are enough source files there to make your own should you want to.

As for the decal, I offer regular paper decal logos, but they are no good for windows - they have color just on one side. I'll look into the options for that later on.

SlvrEagle23
May 6th, 2007, 06:11 AM
Since someone else mentioned making a Kubuntu version of this, and given my personal affection for that blend of Ubuntu, I've reworked this poster and produced a Kubuntu version of it.

I don't particularly have anywhere to host it (yeah I know, not having personal webspace is lame), but I attached a thumbnail, so maybe anyone interested can PM me and I can send it over...or maybe these fine folks here can host it for me...*shrug*

Jenda
May 6th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Wow, that looks great! :)
You can send me the materials and I'll toss them in with the rest of the stuff on diy.devubuntu.com .
I intend to make a sequel later on.

Jenda
May 6th, 2007, 07:44 AM
The USD has fallen so much since the last time I converted moneys... sheesh. I had to change the prices on the shipping above, but the table stays unchanged.

Thanks, y'all - the expenses have been covered (at least till I go to the post office ;) 14 orders to ship tomorrow... I'm expecting it to cost around $100).

Jenda
May 6th, 2007, 09:52 AM
OK, folks... for those truly interested in the poster development, I've been thinking about a sequel... see here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2601819

Cyfr
May 6th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Are you still selling these?

Jenda
May 6th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Oh yes, Cyfr :)
The thread title will tell how many there are left (the 'jackpot'). I'll post here once they are gone.

Jenda
May 6th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Dayum, jackpot cancelled, as I only have 72 posters left.

DoctorMO
May 6th, 2007, 08:26 PM
what happened?!

Jenda
May 6th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Well, the digg effect made me sell half the stock in two days. Not sure if it's a good thing or bad ;)

SZorg
May 7th, 2007, 03:37 AM
Save me 10 of them. I'm going to order through paypal as soon as the funds are transferred from my account! (3-4 days, apparently.)

That's 35 after shipping, right?

Jenda
May 7th, 2007, 10:28 AM
SZorg, please send me an email.
Yes, it's $35, although donations are very welcome :)

Jenda
May 7th, 2007, 12:04 PM
I asked the digg folks if my post was spam, and this is the nice, allbeit brief, reply I got:

That's not for us to decide. Digg users decide what is Digg worthy and
what is not. If you have any other questions, please email us.

Jenda
May 7th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Ok, the first batch of 15 packs has been sent, and because I follow the prices of the shipping closely, I will alter the prices in the following way. I estimated well enough to break even, although there was a loss on some shipments.
1 stays at $10
2 stays at $13
3 go down by $1.50 to $15
5 go up by $.50 to $23
10 go down by $5 to $30
25 go down by $5 to $70
50 removed from the offer as there are barely 50 posters left.

This is because 1-3 posters cost the same amount on shipping & packaging, while 5-10 cost the same as well (about twice as much). I dropped 25 just because I'd like someone to order that much, because it would save me a lot of work :-D

DoctorMO
May 7th, 2007, 06:46 PM
So wouldn't that mean you'd loose money on 25?

besides I gave you a donation so I know I covered variation on my order :-D

daradib
May 7th, 2007, 11:48 PM
I would like to see the Kubuntu poster (I love Kubuntu). You can email me the SVG/PDF/whatever at daradib AT gmail DOT com.

Maybe I can find a place to host them. Or else, http://www.yourfilehost.com/index.php

Jenda
May 8th, 2007, 12:18 AM
daradib, just scroll up - or click here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2601261&postcount=47

daradib
May 8th, 2007, 01:04 AM
daradib, just scroll up - or click here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2601261&postcount=47

I meant the full quality version that can be used for printing.

Jenda
May 8th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Ah, I see - you might have to ask the author - not sure if he/she reads the thread.

HanZo
May 9th, 2007, 10:32 PM
No that i see this one... a suggestion, make it a little brighter, so it risks to look too much like night for day in old horror movies :D

DoctorMO
May 9th, 2007, 11:04 PM
I thought it was 'day for night' were they would film during the day and make it look as if it was night time because of lighting requirements of old cameras.

HanZo
May 13th, 2007, 10:32 AM
well yes, that's basically what they did... and yes, it's "day for night", I just have a mess in my head and turn things arund :)

Jenda
May 15th, 2007, 11:29 AM
I've never seen anything go that fast - I've only had them a bit over a week and they are practically gone.

peppy.ch
May 16th, 2007, 11:16 PM
hey if you still have sum poster left i would love to get one. if you ship them to echallens off course :)

tribaal
May 17th, 2007, 12:40 PM
peppy.ch, I'm currently collecting poster requests from Switzerland via the ubuntu-ch mailing list... Perhaps you would be interested to participate?

Here are the details: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Tribaal

And of course we'll welcome you warmly to join our mailing list :)

Cheers.

PS: Jenda, we have around 10 orders so far... is it going to be ok? (i.e. will you have enough posters? ;) )

- Trib'

peppy.ch
May 17th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Jenda I've just added my self to Tribaal's list to get my poster sow you can ignore my precedent post.

Thanks

Jenda
May 17th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Well, I've got 20 left, so I suggest be quick.
BTW, the way you're doing it is the most efficient way ツ

peppy.ch: ignored :)

Aetherius
June 4th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Received and Loved

Thank you Jenda for decorating my wall so gloriously

(and the case badges rock too!)

DoctorMO
June 4th, 2007, 01:50 PM
I'm so annoyed with myself for not getting the case badges. can I get a load of them? are they the metal or paper ones?

Jenda
June 4th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Aestherius: :)

MO, they are paper & laminated. See wiki.ubuntu.com/PriceListJenda for the prices.

Jenda
June 4th, 2007, 02:56 PM
(Oh, BTW, the new (Ubuntu,Kubuntu) badges are much higher quality prints - pleasant surprise, since they cost me the same :))

Ebuntor
June 4th, 2007, 03:01 PM
(Oh, BTW, the new (Ubuntu,Kubuntu) badges are much higher quality prints - pleasant surprise, since they cost me the same :))

Just curious, the stickers I ordered, where those the high quality ones or older ones? :( (they do seem to be good quality)

Ebuntor
June 5th, 2007, 07:30 PM
I just received my poster this morning. A true piece of art, ty Jenda. :)

Jenda
June 5th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Ebuntor, i think yours were from the old batch, i.e., the lower quality.

You can easily tell by the trademark notice - if it's a little blurry/pixelised, it's the lower quality - the new ones have even the fine print well legible. I'm sorry to those who are disappointed by having the worse quality :) Think of it as if you bought the older version ;)

Ebuntor, I'm glad you like it :)

Ebuntor
June 5th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Ebuntor, i think yours were from the old batch, i.e., the lower quality.

You can easily tell by the trademark notice - if it's a little blurry/pixelised, it's the lower quality - the new ones have even the fine print well legible. I'm sorry to those who are disappointed by having the worse quality :) Think of it as if you bought the older version ;)

Ebuntor, I'm glad you like it :)

Hmmm well I can read the trademark pretty easily, looks very sharp compared to my ATI and AMD stickers. If it is an old one the quality is good enough.

Jenda
June 5th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Ebuntor, the old ones were usually on sheets of multiples of 5 - the new were on sheets of 16 (8,4 and 2 if needed).

Ebuntor
June 5th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Ebuntor, the old ones were usually on sheets of multiples of 5 - the new were on sheets of 16 (8,4 and 2 if needed).

Ah ok, well in that case I've got the new ones. Thanks for checking.

lespaul_rentals
November 2nd, 2007, 07:27 PM
How big are these posters? I like the design, and I might buy one.

jr.gotti
November 2nd, 2007, 07:55 PM
You are aware that this thread is four months old, right? there might be some left...doubt it...but i thought i'd let you know...

Jenda
November 4th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Nope, sorry - all sold out for several weeks.

lespaul_rentals
November 5th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Maybe you should edit the thread title then.

Teutons
November 30th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Are you planning to print more posters?

Jenda
December 2nd, 2007, 11:43 PM
I'm sorry, I'm not intending any more prints, as I do not have time... for now... ;)

If anyone feels up to the investment of printing a few hundred and shipping them out, I'd do my best to support them.

lespaul - good catch, thanks :)

tribaal
July 24th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I'd love to find the source files for theses awesome posters - I know they are GPL'd, but all the vectorial links I can find are 404s :(

I bought a batch of theses, they are awesome, but I'd like to print some more myself, and Jenda stopped shipping them as far as I know.

Thanks a lot!

- Trib'