PDA

View Full Version : Good text editor?

volksman
April 27th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Hey All!

I'm trying to find out if there is a good alternative to UltraEdit32 for the GNU world. Its the one program I just can't seem to break away from Win32 yet and always have a VM running in the background so I can use it...Seems a little silly just for a powerful text editor.

Things a text editor MUST have for me to enjoy:

- open/save to FTP/SFTP
- Tabs for multiple open files
- re-open previously open files on startup
- syntax highlighting and auto indenting
- multiple indenting (IE highlight a group of lines and be able to indent them all at once)

I'm sure there is more but those are THE most important to me by far...

Any suggestions appreciated... :)

Thanks!

v8YKxgHe
April 27th, 2007, 04:09 PM
You could try gPHPedit (it does more than PHP), or maybe Bluefish - I don't know though if they have open/save to FTP.

aysiu
April 27th, 2007, 04:12 PM
I don't know about "open/save to FTP/SFTP," but you can try Kate and Konqueror.

KIAaze
April 27th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Konqueror to edit files??? O.o
I know you can view text files inside Konqueror. But how can you edit them with it?

Knomefan_fan
April 27th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Hey All!

I'm trying to find out if there is a good alternative to UltraEdit32 for the GNU world. Its the one program I just can't seem to break away from Win32 yet and always have a VM running in the background so I can use it...Seems a little silly just for a powerful text editor.

Things a text editor MUST have for me to enjoy:

- open/save to FTP/SFTP
- Tabs for multiple open files
- re-open previously open files on startup
- syntax highlighting and auto indenting
- multiple indenting (IE highlight a group of lines and be able to indent them all at once)

I'm sure there is more but those are THE most important to me by far...

Any suggestions appreciated... :)

Thanks!

I always use UltraEdit32 when I'm on a Windows computer and I like it a lot. Try Kate - it can do everything that you are looking for except that it does not use tabs (it uses a list of open files instead). I like them both equally much.

A good thing with almost every KDE programs is that accessing files over SFTP (and many other protocols) is very easy. You just open the file "sftp://server/file" and it will open the remote file just as if it was a local one. You can also browse the remote server in the ordinary file dialog!

reclusivemonkey
April 27th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Would you consider non-GUI apps?

If its power you are looking for Emacs and Vim are the SCUD missiles of text editing on the command line.

volksman
April 27th, 2007, 11:28 PM
I'll try Kate out...thanks!

Non-gui...no thanks...not very handy for developing a pile of files at once....I use VIM all the time for touch ups and do love it but it just doesn't cut it for mass development....

meng
April 27th, 2007, 11:31 PM
I think gVIM can open files in tabs, but I've never used it.

Nils Olav
April 27th, 2007, 11:48 PM
I think you want something like KDevelop.

Also take a look a these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_integrated_development_environments
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_text_editors

mech7
April 27th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Maybe you can run it under WINE ?

Nils Olav
April 27th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Would you consider non-GUI apps?

If its power you are looking for Emacs and Vim are the SCUD missiles of text editing on the command line.

They both can be graphical.

reclusivemonkey
April 28th, 2007, 09:37 AM
I think gVIM can open files in tabs, but I've never used it.

Vim itself can open tabs. Just

:help tabnew

There are a whole host of commands to navigate between tabs, which should appear in the help as well.

There is very little vim can't do, its just so powerful that a lot of people just aren't aware of what you can do with it. The vim homepage has an excellent tips section;

http://www.vim.org/tips/index.php

The only trouble with vim is you could spend a lifetime using it and never learn all its features!

Bloodfen Razormaw
April 28th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Kate. It does everything you want. Contrary to what has been said, Kate can use tabs. It includes a plugin by default to use a tabbar, although tabs are not nearly as good as Kate's default method of providing a file list sidebar. With that setup, tabs act like split windows, where you can have multiple tabs (which can then be split too) all which can point to an arbitrary location, even in the same files.