PDA

View Full Version : Why I like Ubuntu

PaulFXH
April 27th, 2007, 01:30 PM
I've been using Ubuntu for almost a year and I like it a lot. As a result, 99% of my computer work is now in Ubuntu.
While I would find it difficult to define exactly what I like about Ubuntu, certainly these Ubuntu forums play a very major part in my high level of satisfaction.
My experience has been that people are extremely helpful and polite and I don't believe I've had a problem in all this time that hasn't been resolved with the aid of suggestions from these forums.
Now, I have also used the Microsoft public forums over a long time and have been helped very many times there too. However, I find that people there tend to be a shade more grouchy, tend to provide abbreviated replies more designed to advertise their own knowledge rather than to help, may fail to reply to a follow-up question and some (although very few) who will resort to personal insult in their responses.
So what is it about Ubuntu/Linux/GNU that encourages people to be so friendly, polite and helpful to people they will almost certainly never meet, whose real names they don't know and may not even know where they are on the planet?
This really has to be the way of the future where our species prefers to learn and grow together rather than devoting one's energies exclusively to fighting for supremacy.
But is it possible that Ubuntu/Linux people will turn grouchy when Ubuntu is as old/seasoned/mature as Windows? What needs to be done to thoroughly remove this as a possibility?

Despite these eulogies for the forums, I still believe there is room for improvement. In particular I would point to these two tendencies:
1) Some people proclaim their interest in Ubuntu with an almost religious ardour which often includes unnecessarliy disparaging references to Windows and the Microsoft organisation. In my opinion this is silly, immature and innapropriate. Microsoft has revolutionised how we use computers and they still produce absolutely amazing products. Let's learn from them rather than letting our religious zeal cause us to ignore them.
2) Some people, particularly newbies, may not reply to suggestions offered in response to their pleas for help. Well, did it work? Did you find something better? Have you stopped using Ubuntu? Did you die?
I believe it is of particular interest to the community as a whole to know if suggested fixes for problems were successful or not and therefore those seeking help should feel it incumbemt upon themselves to report on their experiences.

And finally, I'd just like to say thanks to everybody who is contributing to making these forums so marvellous.

BarfBag
April 27th, 2007, 03:22 PM
So what is it about Ubuntu/Linux/GNU that encourages people to be so friendly, polite and helpful to people they will almost certainly never meet, whose real names they don't know and may not even know where they are on the planet?
This really has to be the way of the future where our species prefers to learn and grow together rather than devoting one's energies exclusively to fighting for supremacy.
But is it possible that Ubuntu/Linux people will turn grouchy when Ubuntu is as old/seasoned/mature as Windows? What needs to be done to thoroughly remove this as a possibility?

For most, supporting open source and participating in the community is a passion. It is for me, at least. I don't think we'll turn grouchy once we get popular.

1) Some people proclaim their interest in Ubuntu with an almost religious ardour which often includes unnecessarliy disparaging references to Windows and the Microsoft organisation. In my opinion this is silly, immature and innapropriate. Microsoft has revolutionised how we use computers and they still produce absolutely amazing products. Let's learn from them rather than letting our religious zeal cause us to ignore them.

I agree. Referring to Microsoft as M$ and Windows as Winblows is childish. I disagree with your point on Microsoft's "amazing" products, though. I think they make terrible and rushed products. That's just a matter of opinion, though.

2) Some people, particularly newbies, may not reply to suggestions offered in response to their pleas for help. Well, did it work? Did you find something better? Have you stopped using Ubuntu? Did you die?
I believe it is of particular interest to the community as a whole to know if suggested fixes for problems were successful or not and therefore those seeking help should feel it incumbemt upon themselves to report on their experiences.

I agree.

PaulFXH
April 27th, 2007, 11:43 PM
I think they make terrible and rushed products
While I respect your right to disagree, I think you'll find it hard to explain how Microsoft manages to persuade the users of more than 90% of the worlds computers to use their products. And it not like they're cheap.

BTW, interesting nick. Bet you'll get sick of it though :)

maniacmusician
April 28th, 2007, 12:08 AM
While I respect your right to disagree, I think you'll find it hard to explain how Microsoft manages to persuade the users of more than 90% of the worlds computers to use their products. And it not like they're cheap.

BTW, interesting nick. Bet you'll get sick of it though :)
the "how" is simply because they were the first ones to get popular on the desktop. That's the only reason that they really are in the majority. Most people don't know that an alternative exists, and if they do, they think of Mac, not Linux/BSD or anything like that. They pretty much have a monopoly on the computer business. People have been using their products for a while and don't want to use anything else because they would have to relearn how to use their computer. So, even if Microsoft keeps cranking out bad stuff, people will still use it.

Not all their stuff is bad, though. I do like some of the Microsoft Office programs. They would be a hell of a lot better, though, if they used open standards.

old_geekster
April 28th, 2007, 12:27 AM
the "how" is simply because they were the first ones to get popular on the desktop. That's the only reason that they really are in the majority. Most people don't know that an alternative exists, and if they do, they think of Mac, not Linux/BSD or anything like that. They pretty much have a monopoly on the computer business. People have been using their products for a while and don't want to use anything else because they would have to relearn how to use their computer. So, even if Microsoft keeps cranking out bad stuff, people will still use it.

Not all their stuff is bad, though. I do like some of the Microsoft Office programs. They would be a hell of a lot better, though, if they used open standards.
This is very true.

I am finding it surprising, how many people don't have a clue what Linux actually does. They have heard of it, but they don't understand that it could be a replacement for Windows.

You would think that I was speaking in a foreign lanuage, when I begin explain how Feisty Fawn operates. It appears to be an up-hill battle that we have on our hands. I don't find those who as the least computer savvy, at all interested in attempting to learn a new OS. They barely have working knowledge of Windows.

cunawarit
April 28th, 2007, 12:43 AM

I totally agree! This is the only issue I have with this forums, I am here because I use Debian and Xubuntu. But that doesn't make me hate other OSs.

Ender Black
April 28th, 2007, 03:52 AM
I have since moved on from windows and use Ubuntu exclusively.. I even unistalled wine and Eve Online today, so I don't even use a MS API anymore. But, I don't think the most important thing for us is to convert the masses to Linux. I think our job is to make sure the masses know they have a choice. Neither more correct than the other - but a choice indeed.

Many businesses will refuse to convert to linux in spite of linux' superior security and stability because that would require resources to retrain their staff.. and staffs are increasingly transient nowadays with head hunters constantly seeking out your best employees. Life is grand in an employee market ain't it?

And as a business owner I am glad I at least have a choice. Choice is good and better for the consumer.

With that said; I absolutely love the support you get in these forums. It made me feel great to solve two or three guys problems. Paying it forward I guess.

Anyways, Cheers

steven8
April 28th, 2007, 04:03 AM

All true. I also like Microsoft Greetings for designing cards. It is a very user friendly program.

@ cunawarit - anyone who has frequented these forums for the last many months knows that you are a rabid fan of Microsoft. Like how badly you would love to work for them, as you said in the other post. :) Nothing wrong with that. I would love to work for Rareware!!

PaulFXH
April 28th, 2007, 06:34 PM
I am here because I use Debian and Xubuntu. But that doesn't make me hate other OSs
Is hating people who are different a part of being human? Is this why we tend to be (at least) suspicious of people from another country, of a different skin colour, of a different religious persuasion, who support a different soccer team or who use Windows rather than Linux?
While I can see this may have been a valuable attrbute when our species lived in caves and computers were made of stone, it's not immediately obvious (to me at least) that this characteristic promotes any evolutionary benefit in today's world.
Tolerance for people who are different must surely be a central tenet of civilisation today so that ALL may benefit from cooperation rather than just those who consider themselves the chosen few.
Wouldn't it be more productive to consider Microsoft and Apple as partners in an amazing development that we are all lucky to be part of rather than as evil competitors to be hissed and booed at?

lepz
April 28th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Wouldn't it be more productive to consider Microsoft and Apple as partners in an amazing development that we are all lucky to be part of rather than as evil competitors to be hissed and booed at?

History has shown us exactly what microsoft thinks of it's partners. take off your rose tinted specs, its a doggie eat doggie world.

Besides Tux and penguins are cool, apples and windows are not. ;)

PaulFXH
April 28th, 2007, 08:32 PM
its a doggie eat doggie world
......and you're happy with that?

Besides Tux and penguins are cool, apples and windows are not
Ah well, that explains it nicely. Now I see.

maniacmusician
April 28th, 2007, 08:44 PM
......and you're happy with that?

Ah well, that explains it nicely. Now I see.
whether one is happy with it or not isn't going to change the reality of it (which is described more in my earlier post). It's always amusing when I encounter do-good'ers that think their actions and opinions can influence events on a corporate, and thus, international scale. When I say corporate, I also mean that they couldn't care less what we think and they're not going to change their business practices until someone twists their arm and makes them. Which isn't going to happen.

PaulFXH
April 29th, 2007, 01:41 PM
whether one is happy with it or not isn't going to change the reality of it
Well, it's hard to agree with that statement. Haven't we progressed to where we are today because we (or some of us at least) weren't happy crawling around the jungle naked looking for nuts and berries to eat?

It's always amusing when I encounter do-good'ers that think their actions and opinions can influence events on a corporate, and thus, international scale
What do you suggest as a preferable alternative to being a do-gooder? The options, as far as I can see, are do-nothing-er or do-bad-er.
Neither of these appears to me to be particularly appealing, but each to his own.

Actually, I wonder how, in the mid-eighties and early nineties, you would have greeted Richard Stalman and Linus Torvalds proposals to set up a Free Software Foundation and a Free open-source OS. Would they have fallen into the do-gooder category as well?

I also mean that they couldn't care less what we think
I'm sorry you feel so helpless and insignificant but surely if "our" dissatisfaction means they're going to rake in less profits then they WILL care. Isn't this how capitalism works?