PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop Elements/Picasa equivalent

zacinator
April 27th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Is there a program that has the features that photoshop elements has... More specifically having one click fixes such as auto contrast, auto color, noise reduction, or picasa's i'm feeling lucky. I realize that I can install Picasa and I like it, but it runs on wine and that is annoying. Another thing elements does is removes red eye on import. It also will recognize faces and much more.

Gimp is very good for doing things you want done in photoshop, but I wouldn't need photoshop or gimp to edit snapshots. What programs fit this description, if any? If I have to, I can reinstall picasa, but I was wondering what alternatives there is.

Thanks!

Oki
April 27th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Picasa are not using wine(but it used to).

Have you tried Digikam - ist better then PS Elements, lots of plugins:-) Dont think you will find any "one click" option though, but its a very nice program.

diskotek
April 27th, 2007, 02:03 PM
f-spot is nice as well, (by the way i'm running picasa with wine on edgy eft; just because integirty with gmail)

gorilla
April 27th, 2007, 03:28 PM
another vote for Digikam - great software. Don't forget to install the separate plugins package.

zacinator
April 27th, 2007, 05:34 PM
I currently have been using F-Prot for organizing. I will have to try out Digikam tonight. Picasa without wine also sounds good.

Any more suggestions??

unisol
May 13th, 2008, 03:05 PM
there is a picasa for linux. i havent tried it ,but its worth a try.

jedimasterk
May 28th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Photoshop Elements has one feature that digiKam or Picassa lack that is very important to photographers and that is "Layers". As an amateur photograpgher I depend on using layers quite a bit. I emailed the maintainer of digiKam and asked him about adding Layers to digiKam. He basically told me it would require to much work for him. There again Linux lacking in good prosumer photo editing apps big time!.

gymophett
May 28th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Picasa is made for Linux now.

jedimasterk
May 28th, 2009, 05:45 AM
Picasa is made for Linux now.

But it lacks Layers!. Photoshop Elements has Layers.

ColJep
June 3rd, 2009, 12:00 PM
GIMP comes with Ubuntu and is as good as Photoshop. Takes a bit of learning but is excellent.

koleoptero
June 3rd, 2009, 02:09 PM
Picasa are not using wine(but it used to). .

Hmmm...

All downloads are approximately 30 MB: Picasa software (13 MB), Wine (11 MB) and Gecko engine (6 MB).

No, it's still using wine, but it just installs in a separate folder the parts of wine it needs.