PDA

View Full Version : Flash vs Openlaszlo vs Silverlight

NoTiG
April 27th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Just wondering.. im planning on making a multiplayer online pictionary game somewhat similar to isketch...

which do you think would be the best to use?

ssam
April 27th, 2007, 01:21 PM
it might depend on your target audience.

do you mind excluding?
linux users
non-x86 linux users
solaris users
*bsd users
macosx users

does it need to be web based?

have you looked at the HTML canvas tag or inkscapes inkboard

NoTiG
April 27th, 2007, 07:04 PM
good questions.. i want it to be completely portable. a web "no install" app program. So i don't want to exclude microsoft .

I have looked at the canvas tag but i thought it was not supported in IE? that would be a problem.

pmasiar
April 27th, 2007, 09:58 PM
When Bruce Eckel (who is *very* smart guy IMHO) was looking for a tool like that, he voted for Flash:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22bruce+eckel%22+flash

Just check if his arguments apply to your case. :-)

laxmanb
April 28th, 2007, 11:21 AM
choose whatever you want but remember Flash has the greatest penetrance and is very well established as well...

Silverlight will take some time to get established..

jpkeisala
April 28th, 2007, 05:13 PM
I would exclude OpenLazlo, I tried some time ago and didn't find it very appealing to develop anything bigger. Though, I would love to hear if someone has opposite experience.

I think in the end both platforms (Flex/Quicksilver) in some time will have same penetration market.
Therefore, I would make selection based on which platform do you want to develop on.
If you know Visual Studio/.NET development Microsoft has great development resources when Adobe is not as good. However, if you are familiar with Actionscript or Java then I would give a try on Flex.