PDA

View Full Version : Is there any good mind mapping software?

gusjones
April 27th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can recommend from their experience any good mind mapping software for Linux.

It's pretty much the way I take notes these days when reading books for my distance learning assignments, currently I do this on paper and then scan to PDF, and I want an easy, completely paperless solution.

I don't do the full Tony Buzan thing though--just bubbles, lines and text.

eagleton
April 27th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Labyrinth should do the trick for you if you don't need fancy graphics. It is still rudimentary, but bubbles, lines and text are already working.

And it is a Gnome application. :)

slimdog360
April 27th, 2007, 09:19 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mind_Mapping_software

gusjones
April 27th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks for that.

After a quick play around I think Labyrinth is mostly what I'm after, it's nice and basic and does what I need, however, I can't seem to open created files as the option to do so is greyed out. Am I missing something?

bailout
April 27th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Try kdissert. It is in the repos.

http://www.kde.org.uk/apps/kdissert/

fuscia
April 27th, 2007, 03:06 PM
vym is fun, but i'm not sure it's particularly useful. it's probably good for doodling space cadets.

eagleton
April 27th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Thanks for that.

After a quick play around I think Labyrinth is mostly what I'm after, it's nice and basic and does what I need, however, I can't seem to open created files as the option to do so is greyed out. Am I missing something?

Have you tried double-clicking on the name of your mindmap?

Virgilius
August 1st, 2007, 05:45 AM
Kdissert stopped liking me no more so I made the switch to using VYM instead and it works like a charm. I feel a lot more free using VYM because of it's ability to branch out completely compared to Kdissert.

handy
August 1st, 2007, 06:44 AM
I saw electrodes stuck on your skull, mapping brain activity & graphing brain wave patterns. :)

I see you are relating to a superior (for some) note taking method, so I won't bother posting links. :-)

Turboaaa2001
August 1st, 2007, 06:55 AM
Could any of this be used as an alternative for Microsoft's (I forget the name) software that I can diagram my network.

I'm going to be building a cluster so It would be much easier to use something that would allow me to plan everything out in advance.

kickstart
August 1st, 2007, 06:58 AM
Wow! I just downloaded VYM. its fantastic, thanks guys.

Phis
February 12th, 2010, 09:10 PM
works great, thank you