PDA

View Full Version : Greetings! New arrival

darkworld
April 27th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Hi everybody

Ive just arrived. Breakfast in the Ubuntu cafe :popcorn:

After 6 months on Mandriva I started playing around with DSL on USB stick, then I looked at other distros to put on stick, tried ubuntu distro and failed. Anyway after a few problems with Mandriva, largely caused by myself, :lolflag: I decided to load a ubuntu live disk and give it a real try.

This led to a Ubuntu installation,

This was followed shortly after by a Ubuntu DVD Xine "it dont work and it did in Mandriva" tantrum. Reinstalled Mandriva more probs, mainly around apache and php module. The last straw..... I had to do something! I need to learn php.

This time I decided to give myself half a chance, being familar with KDE and not Gnome, and loaded Kubuntu. After a day on Kubuntu im now smiling. Got my problems sorted and im sure I will work out why my xine and amarok dont work.:guitar:

And yes before anybody says, ive loaded libdvdcss and win32 bla bla.....:lolflag:

Only thing I miss is urpmi :(

Anyway ive arrived now........ where do I get a cuppa?and are there any interesting IRC Kubuntu channels....been some years since ive IRC'd.

Chonnawonga
April 28th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Welcome, darkworld. Hope everything works out well for you.

If you haven't got it working already, what's wrong with Amarok? I'd hate to go without it.

lepz
April 28th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Hiya darkwood and welcome, blimey! breakfast at 8.05pm must have been a good night last night? ;)

ooops just noticed the post date.....Chonnawongas fault :lolflag:

Tmi
April 28th, 2007, 08:09 PM
If you launch Konversation you'll be automatically connected to the "official" irc kubuntu-channel.

darkworld
April 30th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Thanks a lot folks. Ubuntu land seems a pretty lively place.

Ive sort my installation :) , ive sorted Amorak :) ive sorted apache :) ive sorted mysql :) ive sorted php module for apache :) sorted xine :) ...still loads I dont understand but each day gives me something new to make, break or learn.

Is there a place where Qemulator experts hide on here? Had a scout round and they seem far and few. Unfortunately this site http://qemulator.createweb.de/ hasnt got all the answers.