PDA

View Full Version : I noticed a few things when i switched to ubuntu

Darconix
April 27th, 2007, 05:47 AM
Installation was MUCH quicker and funner with the live install CD.
I noticed unlike windows, when i run into a problem with Ubuntu and it gets fixed it stays that way.
Much easier to use, betteer interface and look.
MUCH FASTER.
Amazing visual effects. (Beryl)
ITS FREE!
Really low system requirments.
Did i mention easier? :)
Stabler than windows.

Overall I would definatly choose ubuntu over windows enyday....

How about you guys? What did you notice?

steven8
April 27th, 2007, 06:08 AM
I noticed unlike windows, when i run into a problem with Ubuntu and it gets fixed it stays that way.
MUCH FASTER.
ITS FREE!
Stabler than windows.

All of that and more. It is great installing a system and having an office suite and a graphics program and a whole repository of a few thousand programs 'right there' for you to grab as you want/need them. Yep. . .it's the schiznit!, as a good friend of mine says.

:guitar:

jackmc
April 27th, 2007, 06:23 AM
"Wow, I'm surfing the web while I install my OS... Haven't done that before!"

Tundro Walker
April 27th, 2007, 06:35 AM
All of that and more. It is great installing a system and having an office suite and a graphics program and a whole repository of a few thousand programs 'right there' for you to grab as you want/need them. Yep. . .it's the schiznit!, as a good friend of mine says.

Exactly...I don't think it, or other Linux distro's get enough credit for that fact.

BoyOfDestiny
April 27th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Exactly...I don't think it, or other Linux distro's get enough credit for that fact.

Ditto. Had to introduce that to users I've migrated from Windows to Ubuntu.

My generic Ubuntu first timer explanation:

"No what are you doing? Visiting webpages to download vlc and flash... Try Applications -> Add/Remove. Yes, yes all those are free and those checked there are installed. You don't need to grab "Nero" cd burning is built in, but you can add these etc etc... Yes 1000's of applications and games at your finger tips. Automatic updates for all of them too. For the current release it's just security bugfixes. When you upgrade the OS all those get upgraded too, with your configurations and personal files intact..."

Don't know if my experience is atypical, but barring a few questions about plugins, much less maintenance help. No ports open by default. No defrag (I love telling people they don't need to do that), no scanning for spyware etc...

darkworld
April 27th, 2007, 07:02 AM

Spread the word.

I personally think Linux is going to grow even more rapidly now that Vista is out and they are clamping down on pirate software. A lot of peeps run cracked office suites in windows to save money.

Why break the law? Get Linux :)

Darconix
April 28th, 2007, 07:51 AM
yeah! just the reaction i like to here! I think its funny yet sad how NO ONE at my school knows what linux is, or enyone i know at that >.<

Linux owns windows.

karellen
April 28th, 2007, 08:29 AM
give people a choice, explain them what it's all about and all the benefits and you'll see that, sooner or later, they'll come back to you and ask about "that linux thing and the fact that is free and more stable than their windows". I face this quite often, it seems that the aforementioned features of linux remain in peoples' minds more persistently than anything else :)

Darconix
April 29th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Lol i tired, all they said was "HUH?!"...most people at my school are to dumb to know what linux is. There all to used to windows and office. Ill try to get my friend into it because he has a completely crappy pc with xp on it. Time to show him the future! Linux.

lepz
April 29th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Yep. . .it's the schiznit!, as a good friend of mine says.

Makes a note of the word schiznit, not sure what it means but sounds awesome ;)

Darconix
May 11th, 2007, 05:27 AM
Makes a note of the word schiznit, not sure what it means but sounds awesome ;)

Its basically like the work Sh*t but cooler sounding and doesn't sound as mean :lolflag:

but yea Ubuntu is the shiznit, definitely, and also shiz for short :guitar:

ticopelp
May 11th, 2007, 05:32 AM
I noticed that I could get stuff done without being interrupted and have a lot of programs / windows open without my system slowing to a crawl -- or outright crashing. \

I'd be a lot more productive if I could stop tweaking with settings and visiting the forum every half an hour, but... I'm trying my best. :)

macogw
May 11th, 2007, 06:53 AM
No ports open by default.

:lolflag: :lolflag: :lolflag:
Try this:
sudo iptables -L

See what comes up? It says all of your ports are wide open.

steven8
May 11th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Its basically like the work Sh*t but cooler sounding and doesn't sound as mean :lolflag:

but yea Ubuntu is the shiznit, definitely, and also shiz for short :guitar:

Yep. . .that's it on the nose-nit! :guitar: :lolflag:

Macintosh Sauce
May 11th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Ubuntu will also wash your dirty laundry if you want it to. http://www.seascape.us/jrhodes/eek.gif

DoctorMO
May 11th, 2007, 06:53 PM
See what comes up? It says all of your ports are wide open.

No, that says no ports are blocked by the firewall. open ports are those that have running daemons such as sshd, cupsd, sambad etc.

MOS95B
May 11th, 2007, 07:29 PM
I noticed the uninstall. Rather than hoping the program came with an uninstall, or hoping it's in Windows add remove, I got to the Repository where I loaded it, uncheck it, and it's gone. No questions. No "Are you sure". No popup window wanting to know why. etc...

MUCH FASTER.
ITS FREE!
Stabler than windows.

I also noticed Ubuntu users aren't necessarily the uber-intellectual super geeks the rest of the world thinks Linux users are.

funner?
stabler?
enyday?

:lolflag: just teasin'........

BuffaloX
May 11th, 2007, 07:41 PM
I also noticed Ubuntu users aren't necessarily the uber-intellectual super geeks the rest of the world thinks Linux users are.

Hush not so loud. :-$
Others are not supposed to know that... ;-)

moffatt666
May 11th, 2007, 07:44 PM
I noticed the uninstall. Rather than hoping the program came with an uninstall, or hoping it's in Windows add remove, I got to the Repository where I loaded it, uncheck it, and it's gone. No questions. No "Are you sure". No popup window wanting to know why. etc...

funner?
stabler?
enyday?

You say that, but that's something I like about Ubuntu - the user base isn't all power users and 'geeks,' it actually contains normal everyday users and it's quite well known amongst non-linux fans - even Virgin Media (UK's biggest cable/broadband company) support it!

MOS95B
May 11th, 2007, 07:51 PM
I like it too. I was one of the "I'm not a big enough geek to deal with Linux" people until I got handed my first Ubuntu CD.

Bungo Pony
May 11th, 2007, 09:31 PM
"Wow, I'm surfing the web while I install my OS... Haven't done that before!"

Yeah, that's much more fun than entering that tedious CD Key and watching a presentation on how wonderful Windows is ;)

Darconix
May 16th, 2007, 07:06 AM

funner?
stabler?
enyday?

lol im sorry im to lazy to fix it, and also im only 13 so yea :popcorn:
kinda sad though >.< i need a life