PDA

View Full Version : Dell to go Linux

icechen1
April 27th, 2007, 02:29 AM
Today i was surfing Internet and i found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell#Dell_and_Linux
http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS3822185143.html

So it will be true,Dell will be shipping some model with Linux really soon! :popcorn:

steven8
April 27th, 2007, 03:20 AM
That was a good interview with Michael. He seems real positive.

Hendrixski
April 27th, 2007, 03:53 PM
If you attended Ubuntu Open Week you would have heard Mark Shuttleworth drop a few hints that something BIG is coming next week, it'll be on the news... and in another session he said that perhaps soon your favorite source of computers may be selling Ubuntu.

I assume this means that soon you will be able to walk into Best Buy, or Comp USA, or Office Max, and buy a computer preloaded with Ubuntu. And all of the drivers will be guaranteed to work.

This means that in a few months we will be swarmed with people on this forum, and IRC channels which are already crowded will be completely overtaken by people who bought Ubuntu in a store and are like "where's the start menu, why doesn't this video game work, and how do I install Microsoft Word". While I can't wait, I'm also a little scared that we may get stressed and start disliking newbees, and then people will get a bad impression and... back to square one.

DoctorMO
April 27th, 2007, 03:56 PM
We need to treat all new people with a great deal of patience and fortitude. it's correct that we will get more people, but if we play our cards right we can make sure everyone knows how to handle support requests, it's very important that everyone points people towards wiki, or searching the forums instead of creating a new topic etc. teaching these new people about forum etticate will be a priority for our community here.

As for the news, here hoping.

aysiu
April 27th, 2007, 04:11 PM
I just hope news articles don't give people the impression that:
1. Ubuntu is Windows... but better.
2. Ubuntu sucks and cannot compete with Windows on any level

But I know most articles will put forth one of those two views.

Why can't people just be even-handed about things? Ubuntu is a great alternative to Windows for many people (depending on your situation, computing needs, etc.), but it can't do everything Windows does or run all the programs people are used to running on Windows.

prizrak
April 27th, 2007, 07:53 PM
I just hope news articles don't give people the impression that:
1. Ubuntu is Windows... but better.
2. Ubuntu sucks and cannot compete with Windows on any level

But I know most articles will put forth one of those two views.

Why can't people just be even-handed about things? Ubuntu is a great alternative to Windows for many people (depending on your situation, computing needs, etc.), but it can't do everything Windows does or run all the programs people are used to running on Windows.

If they were even handed they wouldn't be people ;) I can be pretty even handed when it comes to OS choices but if you ever have the nerve to tell me that FWD is better than RWD then I'd suggest a good health insurance provider ;)

darkworld
April 27th, 2007, 08:08 PM
I hope the above is correct and it is Ubuntu that Dell choose...... I had a hunch it would be Suse.

Anyway whatever its splendid news. Just one thought. Will we see the difference in price between a linux laptop and a vista laptop. We should do but I bet it dont turn out that way.

psionyk
April 27th, 2007, 08:38 PM
I hope the above is correct and it is Ubuntu that Dell choose...... I had a hunch it would be Suse.

Anyway whatever its splendid news. Just one thought. Will we see the difference in price between a linux laptop and a vista laptop. We should do but I bet it dont turn out that way.

I very much doubt there would be a significant price difference from the point of which OS a laptop (or desktop) ships with, unless Dell decides to drop pricing on their Linux machines stictly as a sales push, and to promote Linux. Even on a Windows system, the cost that you are actually paying for Windows being pre-installed on your machine is negligible compared to the hardware components, and regardless of what OS is running, IMO I would rather pay extra for better hardware to ensure the best performance.

Having said that, from a pure hardware standpoint it would make sense for there to be some cheaper possibilities than a Vista laptop, since Linux doesn't require the same level of hardware to "run". (I use the term "run" loosely, since Vista seems to be a pace closer to walking through quicksand, but I digress...) :lolflag: How much choice there ends up being is up to Dell, and what baseline specs need to be on their Linux machines to have full support for the OS.

I'm also quite curious to see how this all turns out! :)

-Psi

DoctorMO
April 27th, 2007, 08:58 PM
If they were even handed they wouldn't be people I can be pretty even handed when it comes to OS choices but if you ever have the nerve to tell me that FWD is better than RWD then I'd suggest a good health insurance provider

Why would Fast-forward be better than Rewind? I like to have both buttons on my dvd player.

It's that they're all different, they all have supporters, and none of them can claim a majority of the market.

If I was Shuttleworth I'd be pointing out to Michael Dell how much of a mind share lead Ubuntu has; Red Hat and SuSE may have business and server (enterprise) mind share but Ubuntu is the distro that wins in peoples homes.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that is what happened.

maniacmusician
April 27th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Why would Fast-forward be better than Rewind? I like to have both buttons on my dvd player.

You're....kidding, right? I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not so I'll clear it up anyways. Fast forward is FF, not FWD. He's talking about Front-wheel drive and Rear-wheel drive in cars.

jrock2004
April 27th, 2007, 09:54 PM
I think that linux will probably be offered but not openly offer. I think that they will not have huge advertisements. I am sure that Dell sales will be trained to let people know that Linux is not fully windows.

Do not get me wrong I am so excited. I hope they all come I( am willing to help as much as I can.

Long Live Linux :)

prizrak
April 27th, 2007, 10:44 PM
You're....kidding, right? I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not so I'll clear it up anyways. Fast forward is FF, not FWD. He's talking about Front-wheel drive and Rear-wheel drive in cars.
You are correct sir :)

DoctorMO
April 27th, 2007, 11:48 PM

I was reaching out, I had no idea what FWD or RWD was all I know is that RWD is rewind and FWD sounds like a short version of Forwards, i.e Fast Forwards. the logic was there just not the proof.

It's also a good way to prompt someone to correct me by specifying what I thought it was.

aysiu
May 1st, 2007, 08:03 PM
Dell chose Ubuntu (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=428774&highlight=dell+ubuntu)