PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever used MEPIS?

EerFoolWVU
April 27th, 2007, 01:49 AM
A friend of mine was telling me that it was built here in Morgantown at WVU but I've never used it.

Did some research and it appears like its a distro of Ubuntu that prides itself on being universally compatible.

I personally haven't used it and am completely satisfied with this Feisty Fawn build of Ubuntu, but I figured I'd ask the opinions of those who have used it.

BuffaloX
April 27th, 2007, 02:10 AM
I tried Mepis partly to try out a KDE based distro.

I actually liked it a lot, except the font rendering was ugly compared to Ubuntu.
But I think they have fixed that in Mepis 6.5.

For me Gnome is much more stable than KDE, so I'm back on good old Ubuntu. :)

jerrylamos
April 27th, 2007, 02:25 AM
I used Simply Mepis for a while because Feisty has a bunch of basic bugs, a lot more than Dapper. I've found workarounds for many but not all of Feisty bugs so I'm back mostly on Feisty.

Cheers, Jerry:)

cosborn72
April 27th, 2007, 02:54 AM
I like MEPIS a lot. In fact, I am replying to this on my laptop, which is running MEPIS. I haven't had any trouble with fonts rendering. MEPIS is built off of Dapper, I believe, which it super-stable. It is also KDE based, although I haven't really experienced it working better than Kubuntu in that regard.

MEPIS hooked me when it recongized my Iintel pro wireless 3945 card- although I have had issues getting it to connect to my office network (It connects to my home network just fine- and the both have the same security- strange...)

Ubuntu is still my first love, however. I always want the newest stuff, and ubuntu gets it to me the fastest. My workstation and home computer both run it. It is IMHO, the best out there.

Plus MEPIS uses root privledges for stuff that I'm use to SUDOing in Ubuntu ;) I can't tell you the number of times it has asked me for the root password and I typed in my password instead.

RAV TUX
April 27th, 2007, 03:00 AM
A friend of mine was telling me that it was built here in Morgantown at WVU but I've never used it.

Did some research and it appears like its a distro of Ubuntu that prides itself on being universally compatible.

I personally haven't used it and am completely satisfied with this Feisty Fawn build of Ubuntu, but I figured I'd ask the opinions of those who have used it.

Tried Mepis and found it unreliable and buggy as ever....would highly suggest not trying it....

EDIT: I take it back.....I suggest trying Mepis as I would suggest trying anything......you should learn by experience.

ubuntu27
April 27th, 2007, 05:09 AM
I am using SimplyMepis 6.5 (the latest).

These are my experiences and thoughts:

1) It detects all my hardware, just like all the Ubuntu version since Breezy did.
2) It is based on Ubuntu Dapper Drake (Ubuntu 6.06)
3) SimplyMepis uses KDE instead of GNOME.

4) Since it is based on Ubuntu Dapper, it's repositories has old/outdated software versions...

5) Every website and program like HPLIP thinks I am running Ubuntu Dapper.

6) The repositories in SimplyMepis uses all of the Dappers repos+it's (2) Mepis repositories (seems to be for restricted drivers and software) Could be a good thing for those who wants stability, bad thing for those who wants the latest.

7) If you install SKIM (Imput Method for asian languages) it will crush everytime you start X for the first time. Restart X and login again for a working desktop.

kelvin spratt
April 27th, 2007, 06:04 AM
i tried it a couple of weeks ago looked promising on live cd but a realy dissapointment when on the computor i have found the same with many live cds i got the upgrades on it got the ntfs working but the incons for the h drives only a peered with a cd in the drive and it would only req one cd drive at a time and i could not get amorok to work so gave up